Menu

Things to do in Tennessee?

I'm turning up a billion things. Can you narrow it down to your fans? We DON'T like Gatlinburg. We like natural stuff (scenic hikes, caverns, etc.) and history.

I have a few here, but it's hard to gauge how worthwhile they are when you have just a few days and wanna hit the *best*, kwim?

-Parthenon

-Tennessee Antebellum Trail

-James K Polk house

-Tennessee River Gorge

-Tennessee Aquarium

-James White Fort

-Antebellum tours of downtown Nashville

-Andrew Johnson Historic site

-Armstrong-Lockett house at Crescent Bend in Knoxville

I know I'm short on quality hikes there. I found too many and couldn't gauge which were the BEST.

I haven't looked up the diamond mines in Murfreesboro yet. The stupid visitor's site for TN didn't even list it under kids, and for families they have half a billion hits. I definitely want to do something like that. (Or was that Arkansas?) so if there's a better place or something like that in TN, that would be great too. And of course don't miss food stops are welcome as well. :)

Thanks!!!

Are you driving straight through? Those places are all over the state! Which cities are you hitting? You may not like G'burg but it's surrounded by the Smokies and that is the place to be if you want nature hikes!

I lived in the 'boro and have no clue what you are talking about in reference to the "diamond mines"

Are you driving straight through? Those places are all over the state! Which cities are you hitting? You may not like G'burg but it's surrounded by the Smokies and that is the place to be if you want nature hikes!

I lived in the 'boro and have no clue what you are talking about in reference to the "diamond mines"

You're too funny! I have no clue either. I was googling Branson on the boards and found Murfreesboro mentioned as having Diamond mines. But I don't know much.

No definite plans at this point. We're just tossing around ideas and are pretty flexible. If it's something great, it could go on the list. Usually I get a Frommer's guide, but this time there's not really a Frommer's guide for the state, humbug.

I agree that if you like hiking and nature, you can't do much better than the Smokies. If you've been there, done that, look into Pickett State Park. It's a beautiful, quiet park near KY/TN border that is known for its natural arches and bridges.

The East TN history museum usually has nice exhibits. The one they had this summer was wonderful!

We've always like the TN Aquarium (Chattanooga). There's also Land Between the Lakes (between Jackson and Nashville off I-40). We've enjoyed that many times. No particular hike, they're all pretty. Some harder than others, of course. You might also look into the Natchez Trace, which you can start off on I-40 near Nashville. It's 444 miles total, going south to Natchez, MS. Lots of nature and history, even just the TN portion.

We've always like the TN Aquarium (Chattanooga). There's also Land Between the Lakes (between Jackson and Nashville off I-40). We've enjoyed that many times. No particular hike, they're all pretty. Some harder than others, of course. You might also look into the Natchez Trace, which you can start off on I-40 near Nashville. It's 444 miles total, going south to Natchez, MS. Lots of nature and history, even just the TN portion.

Couple questions. The website for Land Between the Lakes says they have bald eagles. Have you seen them? Is this actually a good reason to go there? And have you camped there to have an opinion on the campgrounds? Hillman Ferry, Piney, Wranglers, or Energy Lake?

I'll have to look at the aquarium it sounds fun, but then dh heard Atlanta has a new, bigger one. And I'm a little concerned we could spend too much time driving.

Ok, I'm looking at it. I didn't realize the River Gorge is there. Is that the one you're supposed to hike to see the mushroom rocks? And have you done the boat ride thing shown on the aquarium website? Crazy? Do something different?

You may not like G'burg but it's surrounded by the Smokies and that is the place to be if you want nature hikes!

:iagree:

Chattanooga is fun. Aquarium, Choo-Choo, etc. The view from Lookout Mountain is spectacular!

In/around Nashville: The Belle Meade Plantation and the Hermitage for history, Cheekwood botanical garden, walking tour of downtown Franklin, Opryland hotel, and a ride on the General Jackson riverboat, concerts at the Ryman or the Schermerhorn, the Frist is a nice, small art museum with a great interactive center for hands-on stuff.

Off the top of my head:

Ruby Falls (Chattanooga)

underground lake (E. TN)

Cades Cove (Smokies) - great hike from there is Abrams Falls

Tubing down the river in Townsend if you're here during the summer

The drive from Gatlinburg over to NC is GORGEOUS, so is the Foothills Parkway which you get to through Townsend.

Fall Creek Falls is really nice plus they have a retaurant there (buffet) that's nice... I think they have crab legs on Fridays ;) Be forewarned that the park is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Great camping facilities though.

Edited by georgialee

Fall Creek Falls State Park is spectacular as well!

That's around the middle of the state, if I recall correctly, not too far from Crossville.

http://tn.gov/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/

My favorite areas are Tim's Ford, Fall Creek Falls, and Reelfoot Lake...Davy Crockett has a state park that is not so bad....Lake Norris is nice, too...

Couple questions. The website for Land Between the Lakes says they have bald eagles. Have you seen them? Is this actually a good reason to go there? And have you camped there to have an opinion on the campgrounds? Hillman Ferry, Piney, Wranglers, or Energy Lake?

I have camped at Piney several times, as a child and an adult. It has been a couple years since we have been but it has always been our campground of choice.

In that area there is The Trace (The Homeplace, Elk & Bison Prairie, Woodland Nature Station), Civil War battle field and some other stuff. T

You could visit my alma mater, Sewanee. The college campus is stunning, and the hiking along the Perimeter Trail is fabulous.

University of the South? Oh yes! I believe their campus was designed with Oxford in mind. Gorgeous! There's also a beautiful modern chapel that is not to be missed. We visit every December for their traditional Lessons and Carols service.

The Chattanooga area has great hiking/climbing/caving for families.

If you decided to go to the Roan Mtn. area, there is the Grey Fossil Site. It is worth visiting. I haven't yet figured out how to make my words links on here, so be sure to google it!

Knoxville has the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, if you or your family are interested in that kind of thing.

I think the Parthenon in Nashville is a great place to visit. My family loves Nashville, actually. We've been to the Jack Daniels Distillery outside of Nashville. I can guess what you're thinking...but they learned a lot of interesting history & explored a manufacturing process. It was fascinating. Our tour guide was a hoot!

The 'Nooga Aquarium is really special IMO. I've been to it, the ATL one, & the Gatlinburg one (& more) & the 'Nooga one has a special place in my heart.

We've always stayed off Kentucky Lake in a primitive campsite. Can't beat the sunsets. There are showers, restrooms, etc all within a short drive. I don't really have a preference regarding Piney or Hillman, sorry. Someone else mentioned the Homestead, they have reenactors there sometimes. Yes, we've seen the bald eagles cruising around. I wouldn't count on wildlife, though, they're notoriously unreliable when you go somewhere specifically to see them!

I'll have to look at the aquarium it sounds fun, but then dh heard Atlanta has a new, bigger one. And I'm a little concerned we could spend too much time driving.

The TN Aquarium is actually pretty neat. I've been to many aquariums and it's worth the money and time. Could take all day, but you could get through it in half a day if you wanted.

Ok, I'm looking at it. I didn't realize the River Gorge is there. Is that the one you're supposed to hike to see the mushroom rocks? And have you done the boat ride thing shown on the aquarium website? Crazy? Do something different?

No, we've never done the boat thing. Don't know about mushroom rocks, either. I'm not really much help, am I? :tongue_smilie:

Be forewarned, if you want to do the Land Between the Lakes, there was a ferry accident recently and one of the bridges is out of commission for the foreseeable future.

Be forewarned, if you want to do the Land Between the Lakes, there was a ferry accident recently and one of the bridges is out of commission for the foreseeable future.

Hey I was going to write you about that in a bit. Or maybe I can call them and ask. It looks wonderful but kind of hard to get to. I figure I'll need some local help to know the safest roads and whether they're winding and stuff...

You could visit my alma mater, Sewanee. The college campus is stunning, and the hiking along the Perimeter Trail is fabulous.

:iagree: Dh and I went to Monteagle/Sewanee for our anniversary a few years ago and absolutely loved our time there. We hiked part of the Perimeter Trail and walked around the Sewanee campus. Absolutely beautiful!

Oh, I found my pictures from our trip. Here's just one.

post-2539-13535086225735_thumb.jpg

:iagree: Dh and I went to Monteagle/Sewanee for our anniversary a few years ago and absolutely loved our time there. We hiked part of the Perimeter Trail and walked around the Sewanee campus. Absolutely beautiful!

Oh, I found my pictures from our trip. Here's just one.

Wow, that's something!

We LOVE Ruby Falls. It really is worth seeing - it's in Chattanooga.

We love the Frist Museum. The Hermitage is really interesting too. Opryland Hotel is very cool in Nashville. It's a neat place to walk around even if you don't stay there. :)

We are hoping to check out the Minister's Treehouse in Crossville, TN this spring. Just seems like something my kids should see.

I was thinking of the treehouse in Crossville, but see it was mentioned already.

It's supposed to be the world's largest & built as a directive from God. I haven't seen it, but heard it is really interesting! Also as mentioned before, Oak Ridge is FULL of neat Manhattan Project History. It's the town that didn't exist! You can do an audio tour in your car as you drive around town, it's not very big :).