Menu

Help -- I know what phonics/reading programs I hate, but not what I like!

Jenny in GA

My youngest child is five and a half and I will soon be starting to officially teach him how to read.

After all these years of homeschooling the other, I can't figure what to use with him. I just know what I DON'T want to use:

1) I've looked at the "100EZ Lessons" book several times and cannot stand the look of it! I know many people here hated it, and I think I would fit into that category--assuming I could even stand to try it.

2) Used Happy Phonics for a while. While I liked a few of the games and liked the concept, the way it was organized drove me nuts. I don't think I could use that except as an occassional supplement.

3) I've looked at Ordinary Parent's Guide several times, and while it seems like a solid program, I have concluded that my kids and I would not like the heavy scripting. It seems very similar to FLL, and that drove us crazy after a short while.

4) AlphaPhonics looks very very dry and boring.

5) My older kids used Explode the Code, which I actually fairly liked, but they did not. I stuck with it because it was cheap, I myself liked it, and at the time I didn't really know what else to try. I might be willing to try it with my youngest, except I recently heard that it often causes problems with guessing words (which my oldest kids have done) because it moves too slowly. So I am concerned about that (and about him disliking it, like the others did.)

In case I sound like a grump that just hates everything, some things we have really enjoyed are WWE, SOTW, MUS, and MCT.

Any suggestions???

I'm using Spell to Write and Read with both of my boys. It takes a bit of reading through the manual for it to click and be able to teach it.... but it is SO worth it.

There is nothing quite like knowing your child can pretty much read anything he wants to once he/she has all the phonograms memorized.

We haven't done sight words at all and DS6 is able to get through a level 1 reader by himself (couldn't read at all at the beginning of the school year).

I've used Abeka with all my kids. I just use the Handbook for Reading and the Phonics workbook. I have them read a page out of HfR and do a worksheet each day. Also we use Bob Books instead of the Abeka readers. This is after they have learned to blend. I really don't see the point in using a program until they can blend. It has just led to frustration and tears in my experience. We played until then-just writing letters on the white board, on paper while waiting at the drs office, etc.; flash cards; computer games; Leap Frog dvds; lots of reading to her.

These are the ones I have contemplated after hating several myself (and having my DD starting K in a few months) ...

Memoria Press First Start Reading (can find on many websites including Amazon) ... looks like a solid instruction in writing and reading.

IEW PAL- Reading - games, phonics and whole language approach

AAR -- looked interesting and easy to teach

We use AAR and find it easy to use and DD5 loves it. We also just started the free trial for Reading Eggs and DD5 is really, really liking it. I just wish it wasn't on a subscription basis. If you get a friend to sign up too though, they give you an additional 2 weeks. You can cover a lot of ground on the free trial alone, I think.

I use Webster's Speller at the white board, and once he was ready for them, we started working through I See Sam readers, which are so much nicer than Bob books. :)

I like Webster's because it gets them doing open and closed syllables right away, making several early "sight words" easily phonetic.

If I were to be doing this again, with a prereader, I know I would use PAL from Institute for Excellence in Writing.

It is a full program from language arts, most will use it for two years. The program not only teachers letters, their soundS, reading, spelling, and writing, but also poetry and independence. The program includes LOTS of games. Has only at $20 piece that is consumable and the rest can be reused within your own family or resold without issues.

IEW has a fantastic return policy, if the program does not work for you.

I have two sets of friends using it, one for two kids at the same time and the other for her youngest, all three children LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this program and beg to do "PAL" work. My friends both find the program impressive and easy to teach.

I myself would love to use it, but I have children who are past it and DH said, "no, a great program is NOT a reason to have another child." I have posted this before about PAL, Well Trained Mind disagrees with him. :lol:

I've now taught 4 children with Abeka... I tried 100EZ lessons (which brought tears from my oldest), Frontline Phonics (by the makers of Hooked on Phonics), which my son thought "fun" at first, and then grew to hate it (still too slow). Finally settled on Abeka (relatively inexpensive), just use the handbook for reading, and the readers and the Letters & Sounds. We also have the Leapfrog videos (highly recommend these). It is the easiest program I've found to go as slowly or quickly as per the needs of a child.

I've used Abeka with all my kids. I just use the Handbook for Reading and the Phonics workbook. I have them read a page out of HfR and do a worksheet each day. Also we use Bob Books instead of the Abeka readers. This is after they have learned to blend. I really don't see the point in using a program until they can blend. It has just led to frustration and tears in my experience. We played until then-just writing letters on the white board, on paper while waiting at the drs office, etc.; flash cards; computer games; Leap Frog dvds; lots of reading to her.

This is exactly what we have done, except we do use the Abeka readers. This system has worked beautifully for us. Both of my girls are fluent, independent readers!

I've now taught 4 children with Abeka... I tried 100EZ lessons (which brought tears from my oldest), Frontline Phonics (by the makers of Hooked on Phonics), which my son thought "fun" at first, and then grew to hate it (still too slow). Finally settled on Abeka (relatively inexpensive), just use the handbook for reading, and the readers and the Letters & Sounds. We also have the Leapfrog videos (highly recommend these). It is the easiest program I've found to go as slowly or quickly as per the needs of a child.

:iagree:

I also agree with the Leap Frog videos and Reading Eggs ... both my 4.5 yr old and 7 yr old have come a long way after using reading eggs for 2 weeks. I was shocked at how much they learned from those games! Maybe not for every kid but mine certainly did well with it. Trying to decide if I should continue the subscription...(for 2 kids it would be over $100 for a year...)

3) I've looked at Ordinary Parent's Guide several times, and while it seems like a solid program, I have concluded that my kids and I would not like the heavy scripting. It seems very similar to FLL, and that drove us crazy after a short while.

5) My older kids used Explode the Code, which I actually fairly liked, but they did not. I stuck with it because it was cheap, I myself liked it, and at the time I didn't really know what else to try. I might be willing to try it with my youngest, except I recently heard that it often causes problems with guessing words (which my oldest kids have done) because it moves too slowly. So I am concerned about that (and about him disliking it, like the others did.)

I am using OPGTR. In the beginning, I needed the scripting to feel confident. Now that I get it, whenever we start a new section, I glance through the Instructor script for all the lessons in that section, and highlight the phrases or sentences that are what needs to be conveyed, if it isn't obvious from the words the kids are to read. We work from a white board rather than the book.

Can you just change it up to something that feels better to you?

My kids LOVE ETC! Maybe that will change later on, but for now, they are really enjoying it. We are using it behind OPGTR, so it is easy, and maybe that's why.

Edited by MeganW

I don't know if it is available in the US but my son has been learning at school (for 4 terms until we withdrew him a few weeks ago) with Read, Write, Inc. phonics by Ruth Miskin. http://www.oup.com/oxed/primary/rwi/ I really like it. The books are good fun to read and both my sons have enjoyed being able to say 'oo, poo in the zoo' without being in trouble. :001_smile:

Obviously there would be some sounds that would be different in US English, but then there are regional differences in UK English too which affect children learning phonics, so I guess there are always things to work around.

Emma x

Edited by Miss Innocent
ETA RWI link

We have loved Memoria Press First Start reading but it is only useful, IMO if you are using the Kinder plans with it. They are only $30.

I also like the looks of and will use All About Reading next time. Now, after my 7 and 6 yr old have done FSR/MP K, I am going with All About Spelling for phonics.

Funnix, which is free to download through the 16th of Feb.

ClickN'Read phonics (based off of 100EZ Lessons, but easier to implement)

The Reading Lesson

Progressive Phonics (also free)

Starfall and More Starfall

After much, much trial and error (I have a dyslexic 9 year old), he is finally making progress with ClickN'Read. Of course, after having tried Starfall, ETC books, Rocket Phonics, HOP, and several others, it could just be that he is finally ready and able to retain what he is learning. I like that he can repeat lessons if necessary, and DS enjoys being able to work independently.

I do supplement with the HOP books, just because we have them!

Phonics Road to Spelling and Reading works beautifully at our house. My son and I both love it, and I am amazed every day all that he is accomplishing! It is a bit expensive, but it is a complete language arts program, AND it has been so effective for my ds.

Edited by mandymom

I love Reading Reflex. Honestly never used anything else - didn't need to. Very easy to implement, worked great for all three kids, and the price ($16 or free from library) can't be beat.

No funny fonts, no tricks, no sight words, no memorizing endless rules. But completely phonetically based and extremely effective.

If you like media for educational things how about trying ReadingBear.org and/Or Starfall.com, Progressive Phonics along with some readers from the Library until you get up and going. That might get you through the basic slump of reading.

If you wan't something more traditional, like a book. Try The Reading Lesson. No scripts, very easy to use. Its a mainstay in my reading program. I also use an older edition of Hooked on Phonics without any fluff and fuss for drill and practice on occassion. Also, Funnix is a software free to download until the 16th of February...

I used Spalding's Writing Road to Reading with my oldest because I had $0 in my budget for phonics programs at the time and I liked it best out of the options my library had. It is a solid program, but not the most teacher-friendly.

I used Hooked on Phonics with my 2nd child because I got a clearance deal on the K-2 kit ($30 for the whole thing). I'm glad that I had previously taken my oldest through Spalding because it really came in handy when using HOP. I'm not sure I would've been as successful using it without the Spalding background. After he finished HOP, I started him on All About Spelling.

My 3rd child is autistic and has a speech & language delay. For her, I might go with one of the programs designed for LD's like Lindamood-Bell LiPS followed by Wilson or Barton. It's too early to tell yet whether she will need that kind of pricey specialized program, but I wanted to mention them in case anyone reading this thread might find it useful.

I have used many different things to get my dyslexic son reading. Apples & Pears and Dancing Bears are what work for him.

Click N' Read Phonics - He liked this program and learned a lot from it. After a certain lesson (I can't remember what number) it got really hard, too hard for him to do. He learned all the letter sounds with this program, which is something he never learned in public school.

Explode the Code - Online - He's never liked ETC, the site loads too slow for him.

Phonic Pathways - This book has great reviews but moved too fast for my DS. We started using it right after Click N' Read. He struggles with blending, and the book left him feeling very frustrated so we stopped using it after a few weeks and moved onto Dancing Bears.

Apples and Pears (spelling) - This program has helped the most. There's a lot of repetition, which is what my DS needs. We have been using this curriculum since Nov and will continue to use it. He will be finishing up the first book next week. :)

Bear Necessities and Dancing Bears - These programs click with him but the stories are really strange. We have been using Dancing Bears since Dec and will continue to use it. We started using Bear Necessities for extra practice (which he needs) a few weeks ago.

The Writing Road to Reading - I got this yesterday and haven't had a chance to look it over. I bought it because of all the great reviews on Amazon. This link is for the newest edition that just came out last month.