Menu

Math is not my friend

So I do every math lesson with ds15, which means I'm progressing through the courses with him. In my high school years, I didn't go past Algebra 1 because it was hard. I got a C in it and was happy with that. I had Geometry the year before although I'm not sure why, but I think I got a B in that one. With my son, we're in Algebra 2 and there have been lessons that literally had me in tears. We're about 80% of the way through and I've decided that I just don't have a grasp on the program enough that I feel confident to finish and move into preCalc. Oh, he's doing fine by the way. He often has to explain the lessons to me!! So anyway, I decided to get my own Algebra 2 program and just start again. I've looked at all the top ones and feel confused, naturally. However, the worst part is what happened last night. I looked at a placement test and it looked hard. So I worked it and got 9 out of 20 wrong. And I don't mean I just worked them wrong, I mean I had NO clue about how to even begin solving them. For some of the problems I did get right, I recognized the type but had to google for how to set them up, so I don't really think those should count. That defeats the purpose of taking the placement test. Basically, I failed.

I'm faced with 3 choices. One, I can back up to Algebra 1 and try to give myself a better foundation. Two, I can buy the Algebra 2 program and just work through the harder lessons more slowly than we did in his program. Ther was no way I was going to hold him back because I didn't understand the lesson! Or three, just ignore it all and keep doing lessons with him. Each day, I do the lesson before he does with my DH as my teacher. Then I sit down with my son and help him through the lesson, also with DH stepping in from time to time. The only reason we do it this way is because my son doesn't like to get instruction directly from DH because DH has a way of speaking above our heads. He tries to explain things at our level, but he gets frustrated that we don't understand what he considers to be easy concepts. I told him he's too smart for his britches!

So... why do I always write so much. Anyway, I really want to learn math and i'm thinking of backing up to Algebra 1. But at the age of 44, I feel absolutely ridiculous! :ohmy: I should be doing better than this!

Now I'm worried about my son. I wonder if I had him repeat the tests from the first half of the course, if he retained the information. What do you think? How does one know a student really has mastered the material? There is no review in his Keystone class! (I guess I had better post this question on the high school board too.)

I'm know how you feel! Ds11 is doing Algebra I this year. I can do the work myself okay; I just can't explain it to him. I hired a tutor this year. This past Monday I sat with them to learn the concept with ds. I had absolutely no idea how to even begin to solve what he was working on.

Hiring a tutor has been the right decision for us. My area of expertise in literature. I made it through Algebra II in high school, but that was over 20 years ago. I'm not even interested in learning that stuff. So, good for you that you are trying.

I would retest your son to make sure he has retained the previous lessons. If he has and you haven't, have you considered trying Kahn Academy dot org or hiring a tutor for yourself?

It's been a few (ok, several. Ok ok, many) years since my highschool math days. I loved math, and still do. But if I had to teach Algebra 1 right now, I'd be all :001_huh:. Those skills get rusty, ya know?

Would taking, say, a community college class be an option for you? I don't know what your dh does for a living, but unless he's a math teacher, perhaps you'd learn better from a professor? Just an idea.

Would taking, say, a community college class be an option for you? I don't know what your dh does for a living, but unless he's a math teacher, perhaps you'd learn better from a professor? Just an idea.

This.

If you start with beginning algebra it'll take (usually) 4 semesters to get through precalculus. If you CAN do this, I would.

Right there with you! The sad part is that I took 4 years of math in high school, finishing with Trig/Algebra 3. Then I took Calculus-type math in the Navy. And I passed every class with flying colors:glare:. I don't understand Algebra. I just did what they told me to do. Geometry was my thing.

Luckily dh is a engineer. He gets math. Sometimes I have to have him explain some of ds8's Singapore problems because I just don't get it.

I plan on doing some serious remedial work next year while dd11 does Pre-Algebra. No clue what I will be using, but it will happen.

Just wanted to say you are not alone.

I would prefer using a high school program on my own. I would guess admission requirements at even a community college would need my transcripts from my other colleges and I have enough credits to be a senior. I would feel silly backpeddling like that. :tongue_smilie:

I was a college student last year and it wasn't possible for me to return this year. Since I miss classes so much, I've been looking at some curriculum that interests me. I was planning on getting Algebra 2 to work through at my own pace. I will continue helping ds15 with his work but as the one with the answers in my hand, it's not hard to fulfill that role. So now, instead of getting Algebra 2, I'm going to get Algebra 1. It can't hurt, and it will be a nice change of pace.

Right there with you! The sad part is that I took 4 years of math in high school, finishing with Trig/Algebra 3. Then I took Calculus-type math in the Navy. And I passed every class with flying colors:glare:. I don't understand Algebra. I just did what they told me to do. Geometry was my thing.

Luckily dh is a engineer. He gets math. Sometimes I have to have him explain some of ds8's Singapore problems because I just don't get it.

I plan on doing some serious remedial work next year while dd11 does Pre-Algebra. No clue what I will be using, but it will happen.

Just wanted to say you are not alone.

Oh no!!!!!! I don't stand a chance if you don't get it!

So I do every math lesson with ds15, which means I'm progressing through the courses with him. In my high school years, I didn't go past Algebra 1 because it was hard. I got a C in it and was happy with that. I had Geometry the year before although I'm not sure why, but I think I got a B in that one. With my son, we're in Algebra 2 and there have been lessons that literally had me in tears. We're about 80% of the way through and I've decided that I just don't have a grasp on the program enough that I feel confident to finish and move into preCalc. Oh, he's doing fine by the way. He often has to explain the lessons to me!! So anyway, I decided to get my own Algebra 2 program and just start again. I've looked at all the top ones and feel confused, naturally. However, the worst part is what happened last night. I looked at a placement test and it looked hard. So I worked it and got 9 out of 20 wrong. And I don't mean I just worked them wrong, I mean I had NO clue about how to even begin solving them. For some of the problems I did get right, I recognized the type but had to google for how to set them up, so I don't really think those should count. That defeats the purpose of taking the placement test. Basically, I failed.

I'm faced with 3 choices. One, I can back up to Algebra 1 and try to give myself a better foundation. Two, I can buy the Algebra 2 program and just work through the harder lessons more slowly than we did in his program. Ther was no way I was going to hold him back because I didn't understand the lesson! Or three, just ignore it all and keep doing lessons with him. Each day, I do the lesson before he does with my DH as my teacher. Then I sit down with my son and help him through the lesson, also with DH stepping in from time to time. The only reason we do it this way is because my son doesn't like to get instruction directly from DH because DH has a way of speaking above our heads. He tries to explain things at our level, but he gets frustrated that we don't understand what he considers to be easy concepts. I told him he's too smart for his britches!

So... why do I always write so much. Anyway, I really want to learn math and i'm thinking of backing up to Algebra 1. But at the age of 44, I feel absolutely ridiculous! :ohmy: I should be doing better than this!

Now I'm worried about my son. I wonder if I had him repeat the tests from the first half of the course, if he retained the information. What do you think? How does one know a student really has mastered the material? There is no review in his Keystone class! (I guess I had better post this question on the high school board too.)

Have you tried working through Algebra on Khan Academy? It has been a lifesaver for me. :001_smile:

I hear you - I went through and graduated high school in California in the mid-70s w/o any geometry or algebra (wasn't required then) and then never took ANY math in college and got my PhD ABD from Northwestern in the mid-80s.

When my oldest son was ready for algebra, I bought him VideoText. The next kid to need higher math, Teaching Textbooks, then Chalkdust. I LOVE me some "teacher in a can" !!!

PS _ I might add - I kinda "get algebra" now thanks to the above programs!

I've always heard that you learn something better if you teach it yourself. Maybe you should try to have ds teach it to you instead of dh.

I love high school math and have a math degree. If you really want to learn math and got 9 out of 20 wrong without even knowing how to approach it, I think you should consider Lial's Introductory Algebra. It's a great book with lots of good examples that seem well laid out.

Is the placement test online? Could you pm me a link and a list of the problems you missed? Maybe I could figure out where your gaps are.

I have no advice, but there are some days I want to punch math in the face. If math had a face. :glare:

:lol: I just spit coffee! I want to punch math too!

I passed, Alg 1, 2 - loved trig. Then I hit calculus and I did. not. get. it. I didn't realize how big the gaps were, but I just don't get it. I started that class 4 times in college and dropped after the first exam every time because I had not the slightest idea what I was doing.

Luckily, I'm only teaching 5th math right now so I'm plugging away trying to figure out what I don't know. I agree the Khan Academy videos are great. I just sit and watch them in order.

Is the placement test online? Could you pm me a link and a list of the problems you missed? Maybe I could figure out where your gaps are.

I used the Saxon Algebra 2 test. There were 20 problems.

1 - 3 (complete the square) I do remember seeing that with my son but I didn't remember how to do it and had to google it. Without google, I wouldn't have been able to do those problems.

4 - 5 uses quadratic formula. I've got this one down. I even have this formula memorized. :)

6 is a simple probability question. I knew this one.

7 - 8 are to factor the trinomial. I know the foil method but I couldn't remember how else to get those factors. I didn't even bother searching for how to do these because at this point I knew I should just either answer or not answer. So I left these blank.

9 - 10 are to factor by grouping. I remembered the concept but needed a peek on a math page to remember how to set them up. But I did get the right answers.

11 is something inverse thingy. I have no clue how to even look this one up.

12 is simplying an expression with radicals. I got this one right.

13 - 18 are various problems, none of which I know how to start. I need to mention that a HUGE weakness for me is problem solving. I have never been good at solving word problems.

19 - 20 I got right.

I also looked at Life of Fred's placement test. There are only 7 questions. I knew # 1, 6, and 7.

I scouted the high school board for Algebra 1 and 2 resources and looked up everything I saw. I did look at Lial's on Amazon but there are so many editions and I don't know if one is better than the rest. I usually buy new, yes I'm a book snob, but with an expensive book like that, I will definitely buy used. But I really do hate books that have writing and highlighting in them. Also, is the CD very important? The cheaper used books do not have the cd.

FWIW, I used to hate math because it didn't come easy to me. I've learned to really like it though. The rightness/wrongness appeals to me. I am eager to learn, it's just that the content is just too complicated for me to understand sometimes.

I have used Khan academy but I can't see using it to learn all the concepts. I need the structure of a program with a table of contents, instructions that I can refer back to as needed, and lots of practice problems. But the videos at KA are a nice little way of seeing something visually if I'm not understanding it. Some of the ones I've watched are a little confusing though. One poor guy just seems to stumble over his words.

Oh, and I have heard of Life of Fred. It was the first algebra program my son used, but he didn't complete the book because that was when we decided to use an accredited high school program. We switched him from LoF to the algebra program with Keystone.

I used to work for a psychologist who did testing for LD/ADD, etc. I typed all of his reports. From what I gather, some people don't have the higher-order reasoning skills (cognitive ability) to be successful with advanced math.

It could be that your real strength is in some other academic area, or in something not academic at all. IMO, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Math is just not your strength.

I hope I didn't offend you.

I used to work for a psychologist who did testing for LD/ADD, etc. I typed all of his reports. From what I gather, some people don't have the higher-order reasoning skills (cognitive ability) to be successful with advanced math.

It could be that your real strength is in some other academic area, or in something not academic at all. IMO, everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Math is just not your strength.

I hope I didn't offend you.

Not at all. I have actually been diagnosed with ADD and am on medication to help with some of the issues associated with it. I didn't think about the connection between it and something like math comprehension. Hmm.. But that won't stop me from trying. I've been wondering what other type of academic program I can use to self-teach because I miss being in college. I'm not used to researching for me though. I have seriously considered an upper Sonlight level but I'm not sure if it would be a good fit. Oops, off track. But yes, I'll keep that in mind if I continue getting frustrated.

Good for you!

It's not to say you can't ever get it, you just might struggle with it more or need more repetitions.

Now, if I could just get/remember Statistics...

:lol: Statistics was the only math that made sense to me! Of course, I was a Criminal Justice major.