Menu

Would You Eat This (Round # 3,380)

I got out a frozen turkey yesterday afternoon and very responsibly thawed it in cold water, changing out the water every 30 minutes just like a person who knows what she's doing.

Except, oops, never put it in the fridge--got up this morning and there it still is, in a pot of cold water in the sink. Turkey is still cold.

Should I bake & eat it or should I, with tears and gnashing of teeth, toss it out?

:crying:

If the bird is still as cold as your fridge, I'd definitely roast it.

If it is cold but not that cold, I'd probably still roast it. I'd go by smell. If it smells bad then chuck it. You may have to cut into the raw bird to really smell it.

I can't afford to chuck good food, so I'm more liberal about that stuff. No one has ever gotten sick. I'm also more careful with store-bought ground meats.

Sandra

If it is cold but not that cold, I'd probably still roast it. I'd go by smell. If it smells bad then chuck it. You may have to cut into the raw bird to really smell it.

I can't afford to chuck good food, so I'm more liberal about that stuff. No one has ever gotten sick. I'm also more careful with store-bought ground meats.

Sandra

:iagree:

I wouldn't. A few hours, even 6 hours, then yes I would. But overnight at room temperature, I wouldn't. I don't see how a turkey that's been sitting out at room temperature for possibly 12 hours could have stayed at refrigerator temp (which is 40 degrees or below). I'd toss it and consider it yet another (sigh) lesson in meal planning. Which reminds me, I have a chicken sitting in the downstairs fridge that I need to check on!

Sandra

You mean that's not the way EVERYONE thaws their turkey? :tongue_smilie:

I'd totally eat it. As long as it feels cold, I wouldn't hesitate.

(And, no, I've never given my family food poisoning)

The exception would be if you smell it and it seems "off".

It's been out less than a day. Unless that's a scrawny bird, the insides are probably still frozen.

Since it's still cold, I'd eat it without a second thought. I don't even bother with the cold wate. I just lay my meat on the counter to thaw. I guess I'm daring that way, but we've never had a problem.

:iagree: Above is what we do. My dad will actually wash meat he is worried about with Dawn, rinse it really well, cook it, and eat it. He has never had a problem either. (He grew up eating dandelion soup in the late 30's-early 40s because they were so poor so even though we have money now he is still odd like that.)

Edited by ds4159