Menu

Looking for math suggestions for non-mathy child

Nakia

who is easily frustrated. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Oh, this is for 3rd/4th grade. She's not "behind" in math, but she struggles with it.

I'm at a point where I don't know if it's me, the curriculum, or her...

It's also that time of year where I'm researching like crazy and beginning to doubt all of my current curriculum. :tongue_smilie: I'm sure I'll research like crazy and end up staying with our current math, but humor me please.

Thanks!

Another vote for Teaching Textbooks. My non mathy dd, using TT 5 in 5th grade, used to be brought to tears by math. Teaching Textbooks has changed everything for us. She actually told me the other day that she likes math now. We also use Khan Academy for topics that she struggles with.

Robin

What are you using now?

My friend had great success taking her terrified-of-math 3rd grader and putting her in CLE Math 200 level. They went quickly through that, and this year for 4th grade they've been doing 300 level and are about to jump into 400 level. CLE gave her confidence, and now she's really enjoying math and doing really well with it.

Well you probably already know I like Teaching Textbooks, too! It's raised her confidence, her standardized test scores (to pretty darn good ones) made her like math a lot more, and made math a lot more independent at our house. I don't care what anyone says negative about it, I love it!

Tears and frustration describes my dd's math day. Now she is happy with math and excited in math. We do a math journal (notebooking) instead of a set curriculum. I pick about 3 new skills to introduce a week and lots of review. I get the skills needed from Kathryn Stout's book Maximum Math (lists skills for grades K-8). I also get ideas from http://mathlearnnc.sharpschool.com/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4507283&pageId=5048438

(the day to day ideas for grade 2)

We use MM with my non mathy child. However, we tweak. We take it as slow as we need to, use the worksheet maker, and play A LOT of games. The games are what has spurred her out of her math frustration. There used to be tears.all.the.time. Right Start games as well as some internet games and board games have really helped. We might add in CLE a year behind next year to help solidify. We almost did that this year but the games have served that purpose for now, we will use CLE to supplement if it comes to that at some point.

Background: My oldest uses R&S and always has; she uses it a year ahead. She does well with the no nonsense approach. That's just her personality. She is going to be using Dolciani prealgebra next year for 7th (I think).

Soooo, I thought R&S would be great for my almost 9 year old, and so far, it's been fine. I don't think R&S gets enough credit because it truly is a great solid math program. Anyway, Emma (3rd grader, almost 9) struggles with math. She is more of a writer/thinker/grammar girl, lol. I wonder if it's me, the curriculum, or her personality. It's so hard to know! I've always known she wasn't mathy, but this year she is learning so many facts and new things (multiplication tables, division, fractions, triple digit addition and subtraction, word problems, measurements, etc) that I think she might be getting information overload, kwim? I would love to stick with R&S because I really like it, and no matter what some say, it's a really good curriculum, in my opinion. But, of course, if it doesn't work for her, it doesn't. I don't know if she needs more hands-on or what. I'm at a loss. I keep thinking it's going to click. Maybe I should give it more time before throwing in the towel. It's so hard to know!

I've read about TT. I'm not too crazy about her using a computer based program, but if that's what she needs, that's what we'll do. Is the parent totally hands-off with TT?

Background: My oldest uses R&S and always has; she uses it a year ahead. She does well with the no nonsense approach. That's just her personality. She is going to be using Dolciani prealgebra next year for 7th (I think).

Soooo, I thought R&S would be great for my almost 9 year old, and so far, it's been fine. I don't think R&S gets enough credit because it truly is a great solid math program. Anyway, Emma (3rd grader, almost 9) struggles with math. She is more of a writer/thinker/grammar girl, lol. I wonder if it's me, the curriculum, or her personality. It's so hard to know! I've always known she wasn't mathy, but this year she is learning so many facts and new things (multiplication tables, division, fractions, triple digit addition and subtraction, word problems, measurements, etc) that I think she might be getting information overload, kwim? I would love to stick with R&S because I really like it, and no matter what some say, it's a really good curriculum, in my opinion. But, of course, if it doesn't work for her, it doesn't. I don't know if she needs more hands-on or what. I'm at a loss. I keep thinking it's going to click. Maybe I should give it more time before throwing in the towel. It's so hard to know!

I've read about TT. I'm not too crazy about her using a computer based program, but if that's what she needs, that's what we'll do. Is the parent totally hands-off with TT?

Could you slow it down? If you like it and up to now she has been doing well with it, then I would keep using it but slower. But then I am one who has been thinking outside the box lately concerning curriculum.

Well, as hands on or off as you want to be...

My daughter listens to the lecture at the computer, then reads the short page in the textbook to reinforce it, then does the practice problems at the computer (five of them), and then the main lesson problems (20-24 of them). The whole thing takes about 30-35 minutes.

Usually I am nearby in the main living area where the computer is and I can hear what's going on and I'll check in on her, and if she has a question she asks me, and if I think there's a problem I'll come oversee it (there usually isn't), and I'll check her paper when she's done and so on.

But if you wanted to sit there and watch the whole thing and comment/help, you could. If you wanted to add more problems, you could. If you wanted to add your own commentary, you could. If you were busy one day and didn't want to be involved at all and knew she was getting it, you could leave her to it.

There's a gradebook that when you view it will tell you if it took them one or two tries to get each problem right and if they viewed the solution for a given problem. (if they get a problem wrong once, they get another chance at getting it right, probably to allow for typos etc. If they get it wrong again they are asked if they want to view the solution. If they view the solution, it will tell them and show them step by step how to get the right answer next time so they know what they did wrong).

It's really worked well for my daughter. And she likes it.

I am finding Life of Fred as a nice supplement...filler inner....when our math program gets overwhelming...info overload etc. When breaking out the math book makes my little guy have a temper tantrum, it is time to back off and slow down. Life of Fred is fun, makes him laugh and gives him some gentle math instruction. We use a wipe off board to do the problems....and do 2 chapters a day. I have him read aloud to me...so it counts for oral reading as well. He has also taken some of the topics in the chapters for further reading....such as the chapter on constellations in the book Butterflies, had him researching all different constellations as well as the Greek Myths that went with them.

I also like the reading lists at Living Math to help solidify and make math topics come alive. After a bit of a break from our regular scheduled program, we are ready to go back and tackle some new concepts.

Faithe

Your Emma sounds like my oldest; he needs lots and lots of review to absorb math; he also has to "see" it to believe it. C-rods have been good for him to work with to help him physically manipulate the numbers and see what actually is going on here. You don't need to buy all of Miquon in order to use the rods. Place value disks might also be helpful (check Rainbow Resource).

I do agree that R&S looks like a good solid program; I would just slow it down, slow it down, slow it down. I've had to do this with my oldest; he and his younger bother do the exact same math books. I've learned to be okay with that; you can't speed through math--slow and steady wins the race. Even if it can be hard to schedule.;)

My oldest had the same trouble w/ R&S. I loved the curriculum but it was just not working. We switched to CLE and I realized that he just did not have his facts down and it was slowing him down, as well as having to write out all of the problems.(motor issues still, I think) I think perhaps you could test her on her facts and see if she has them down cold. Play a lot of math games as others have suggested and maybe have her do only some of the problem rather than all. I agree that plenty of review is good for kids but sometimes it just overwhelms them. CLE as you know is incremental. I am finding that because of this, my ds does not forget things and also it seems to move at a very comfortable pace. It is thorough yet gentle, IMO.

I don't know if I've helped you at all, but that just my 2 cents.:tongue_smilie:

who is easily frustrated. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Oh, this is for 3rd/4th grade. She's not "behind" in math, but she struggles with it.

I'm at a point where I don't know if it's me, the curriculum, or her...

No matter what curriculum, I have the best success with couch-schooling math using the buddy system, sitting side by side and taking turns doing the problems out loud. We also like to use a whiteboard and colorful markers, and when we can, we just work orally without writing anything down. And games are almost always more popular than worksheets.

What are you using now?

My friend had great success taking her terrified-of-math 3rd grader and putting her in CLE Math 200 level. They went quickly through that, and this year for 4th grade they've been doing 300 level and are about to jump into 400 level. CLE gave her confidence, and now she's really enjoying math and doing really well with it.

:iagree:

We've had this kind of success as well. Math has become more enjoyable using CLE in our house. More so with my younger three ( I still use it with my two that are attending school right now) than my oldest. But even my oldest who doesn't like CLE math very much is doing better with her math.

We've been trying out www.adaptedmind.com just for fun, in addition to our regular math, and the kids love it. It's only free for 30 days, but I believe we will be keeping it beyond that. They earn badges as they go and even my 6th grader loves it. It' s a great new approach to math that is fun and challenging. If they get sick of doing certain types of problems, they can move on to another topic whenever they want.

My oldest is not mathy, and we are having success using two curricula. We use both RightStart and Singapore and switch back and forth between the two (usually for about a month or two at a time). We do one curriculum until she gets stuck, bored, or we come to a good stopping place. Using both curricula has really cemented the math facts and concepts in her mind.

With my oldest, he reads the lesson and does it on his own using only the workbook (he doesn't like the cds). I correct it in the evening and sit with him the next day to go over the missed problems (this is my child that struggles with math). I look at the next lesson and sometimes we go over the instructions together, than I let him loose.

With my two other boys (who don't struggle), I check to see what they missed and if needed go over the work. When double digit add. and sub. is introduced I'll pull out my MM and 'show' them. We don't use the MM worksheets, I just go over how to teach it using MM and we work on problems from TT.

Then there are weeks, when I just let them pop in the cd (like nowConfused_3.gif) and do it on their own, but I do keep track of their progress.

I like that TT doesn't have 180 days worth of math, because I can add to it, linger or combine another program without feeling 'behind' or overwhelmed.

I had the same problem last year with my older daughter (at age 8 1/2 too). The tears, the drama... Teaching Textbooks was a lifesaver for us. It kept her going and kept me sane and the next year when she was in a better place (emotionally about math), we switched to Singapore and are very happy with it.

I was resisted because I didn't want anything computer based. If I was going to homeschool, I was going to teach not just plop my kid in front of the computer. (I know this works for some families, it is just not what I wanted)

(For me) I think that mentality was good at the beginning, it would have been easy to get SOS or something like that. Now that I have been teaching, I realize that moderation is ok. We do TT and I stay pretty hands off. I am here for questions (doesn't happen often) and I check the grade book to see that he is getting good scores.

Outsourcing math to a computer has given me more time to work on other subjects. We are doing a lot more with history this year as I have more time.

:iagree:

We've had this kind of success as well. Math has become more enjoyable using CLE in our house. More so with my younger three ( I still use it with my two that are attending school right now) than my oldest. But even my oldest who doesn't like CLE math very much is doing better with her math.

what's CLE?