Menu

If you like birds...

NicE!!!!!! That is a beautiful picture! How long did he/she stay there?

Rather long. My camera was already in the room, but I had to change my lens. I took 30 or more shots, decided it was enough, and still watched the bird for another 10 or so minutes. They usually don't stick around even long enough to find the camera!

Have you tried calling him? Pileated Woodpeckers are quite territorial. If you tap on a tree trunk with a rock to simulate the way they hunt for insects, they will often fly up very close to you. I did that in my recent "Calling a Woodpecker" video, and was very pleased with how well it works.

You do not want to tap quickly. The Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kind of taping is really their song. Instead, you want a slow, irregular tap. Tap......tap, tap.........tap, tap...........tap.............tap, tap, tap.........and then pause for a minute or two. Tap some more and pause again. Watch carefully, as he will sneak up to see what you are doing. A bit of patience will give you a great photo op, as well as a fun lesson in animal behavior.

Have you tried calling him? Pileated Woodpeckers are quite territorial. If you tap on a tree trunk with a rock to simulate the way they hunt for insects, they will often fly up very close to you. I did that in my recent "Calling a Woodpecker" video, and was very pleased with how well it works.

You do not want to tap quickly. The Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr kind of taping is really their song. Instead, you want a slow, irregular tap. Tap......tap, tap.........tap, tap...........tap.............tap, tap, tap.........and then pause for a minute or two. Tap some more and pause again. Watch carefully, as he will sneak up to see what you are doing. A bit of patience will give you a great photo op, as well as a fun lesson in animal behavior.

That is so great! Thanks for that tip. I will totally give that a whirl next time I head out for photos. I often become first aware of them outdoors when I hear their tapping. :001_smile:

Ok AS cool as a bald eagle for sure. Awesome picture!

:D Bald Eagles are quite an amazing sight, too!

I do see pileated woodpeckers but they don't come to my window. The Red Bellied does. This is not my photo but it is how they look.

We had a pair of Red Bellied woodpeckers in a tree in our yard in Huntsville. They got so used to the kids playing in the yard under their tree that they would land on the swingset while the kids were playing on it.

Never could get a good picture of them though because as soon as they saw me with the camera they took off :glare:

I emailed a link to this thread to my ds13 who is a bird freak. He'll love it. He wants to go to Cornell and be an ornithologist.

Neat! I didn't really realize that I love birds until well into adulthood. Part of it was probably that "birdwatching" was always the essential nerd activity, right? :D Only once I was in my 30s did I realize that most other people don't get excited about Goldfinches and Indigo Buntings!

Wonderful picture!!

Are you going to do the Great Backyard Bird Count, Feb 17-20?

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/

I have heard of it before, but haven't done it. Maybe I should put that on the schedule!

Wonderful! I wish we'd get a Pileated to come to our backyard woods. We have the regular red headeds but my youngest has never seen one of these big guys.

I see a pair from time to time. I don't know if they're monogamous or what their nesting habits are, but I've seen a pair in our woods several times over the years. :001_smile:

I emailed a link to this thread to my ds13 who is a bird freak. He'll love it. He wants to go to Cornell and be an ornithologist.

Oh, my dd, too!! Cornell is a dream for her.

Do you get the newsletter they put out? (e-news) They just had a neat link to a video of the researchers tagging birds to see how often they come to a feeder.

You know, if you look carefully, I'm 99% certain that is the woodpecker's tongue you can see between his beak and the tree. I zoomed in on it in my photo program. It's not a stick or branch behind because it's not in the other photos I took in sequence. I really think the tongue makes the coolness factor go up by several points! :coolgleamA: