Menu

Seattle attractions for homeschooling?

Hi,

the Boeing museum of Flight is good (I might have the name slightly wrong), as well as the Pacific Science Center.

I think you can use AAA (AutoClub) for discounts at these.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the aquarium recommendation-- we have seen so many spectacular aquariums in California that we found the one in Seattle, not so hot. We weren't even tempted to get the yearly membership.

There is a cute Children's museum for really little ones.

There is a Science-Fiction and Rock & Roll Museum, but we steered clear of them last time we were there since they had VERY adult exhibits. Don't know what they are like at other times.

The space needle is nice if you have a head for heights, but it's really expensive.

The space needle is nice if you have a head for heights, but it's really expensive.

Do the Columbia Tower downtown instead! Super cheap and higher. I want to say I paid something like $5 for me and two kids. The observation "deck" isn't out of doors, but it's a dedicated floor for observation that goes almost all the way around with big picture windows. It's really cool.

This is an interactive online list for field trips around seattle. puget sound. and even eastern washington. most of the links are still good. some are out of date, and newer things are not included.

I'm told the children's museum in everett is better than the one in seattle.

Lynnwoods swimming pool is an indoor facility. It has a "river" you can float on, as well as two waterslides.

If you want history to go along with your olympia activities - the washington state history museum is in tacoma. also, Ft. Nisqually is at pt defiance park in tacoma. seattle has the musuem of history and industry - don't miss the doll house, especially if you have girls. it was my favorite growing up.

the Boeing Museum of Flight in south seattle has many space exhibits, and interactives, as well as airplanes (they have a concorde and a 1960's air force one you can walk through. they've since added "the city of everett", the ORIGINAL 747, though not open for walk through.). It over looks boeing field, and has a control tower exhibit that recieves live telemetry. It is my son's favorite - and it is nice they have plenty of FREE parking. Boeing also has a factory tour at paine field in everett. there is a 48" height requirement - no exceptions, no babies being carried. you can do same-day, but reservations are suggested.

eta: do do a ferry boat ride - you can walk on in seattle - bremerton (longer run) and turn around and come back. Ye Olde Curiosity shoppe is just down the street and I loved it as a child. do Ivar's fishbar (next to the ferry terminal) for lunch. throw french fries at the seagulls - they will catch them.

Edited by gardenmom5

The Museum of Flight by Boeing Field is excellent. It is truly a museum that every age will enjoy--even if you aren't big "airplane" people. You will also be able to see the rest of the Science Center with the King Tut tickets--your kids should definitely enjoy this.

The Children's Museum is next to the Science Center and is fun for the under 8 crowd. (However, if time is limited, I think the Museum of Flight and the Science Center are much better.)

The Seattle Children's Theatre is absolutely fabulous if they have a show playing while you are in town. It is at Seattle Center by the Science Center, Children's Museum, Space Needle, and the Rock n' Roll (may have the name wrong) Museum. I was very disappointed the one time I went to the Rock n' Roll Museum and doubt I would take young children there.

The Space Needle is fabulous on a clear day, but it is expensive. If it is an overcast day, definitely don't waste your time.

I personally think a ferry ride is always fun especially if the weather is nice. You can just walk on if you want to save the car fare. The waterfront can also be fun to wander around.

The Woodland Park Zoo (North Seattle) is great, if you like zoos. There is also a zoo in Tacoma, but I don't know anything about it.

Depending on where you stay, there is also a great Washington State History Museum in Tacoma. I think there is a permanent model train exhibit plus other wonderful information on the state. It is across the bridge from the Glass Museum. There is also a Children's Museum in Tacoma, but we never visited it.

We used to live in the Seattle area and always had memberships to the Museum of Flight, Pacific Science Center, and the Woodland Park Zoo. We also went to at least 4 shows at the Children's Theatre every year.

Enjoy the convention--I think it is a fabulous convention.

Warmest regards,

Do the Columbia Tower downtown instead! Super cheap and higher. I want to say I paid something like $5 for me and two kids. The observation "deck" isn't out of doors, but it's a dedicated floor for observation that goes almost all the way around with big picture windows. It's really cool.

:iagree: I think it's higher too.

If you do want to do the space needle - go for lunch or breakfast. the observation level is included with your meal. otherwise - the food is VERY overated.

Every time we go to Seattle we hit the museums sci/fi & rock n roll exhibit, just love it. There's a place upstairs where kids have access to all sorts of instruments to mess with and can go in a booth and perform and record a concert, way fun....

The sci/fi one has me just bawling like a baby too. I mean seriously, the deck of the Star Ship Enterprise is there.

Jimmy Hendrix white guitar he played the Star Spangled Banner....there's a hard rock cafe inside as well.

Skip the aquarium.

Walking through Pikes is amazing but hang on to the kids, it's super duper crowded, some safety issues down there.

If you want to jump the ferry and ride over to Bremerton, it's fairly inexpensive, great ride, and awesome naval history over there as well. Very civilized, quaint and beautiful. Anthony's restaurant is great!

If you want a table dump of seafood, it's quite the experience...check out "The Crab Pot" on the wharf. Cool experience if you've never done that. They just dump the mix on the table. It's fun!

The Space needle has rides etc. at the base....you can drop a LOT of money in that area in a hurry, careful! Expensive city.

I have to agree with other posters:

The Boeing Tour at Paine Field in Everett is fantastic, but it may not work with your younger children.

The Children's Museum in Everett is better than the one in Seattle, but it may be too far to drive.

The Doll Museum in Bellevue is wonderful especially for girls. My daughter always really enjoyed visiting.

Enjoy!

and the Rock n' Roll (may have the name wrong) Museum. I was very disappointed the one time I went to the Rock n' Roll Museum and doubt I would take young children there.

Experience Music Project.

I must agree with the person who said it looked like the space needle discarded its clothes in heap. I personally think it's a hideous structure, but Paul Allen needed somewhere to house his jimi hendrix collection (which is how it got its start).

The Museum of Flight is the best museum around here, in my opinion. It has truly excellent WW1 and WW2 exhibits, if you've studied that recently. It is south of downtown -- about 15 minutes or so.

A ferry ride is easy and so beautiful -- especially in decent weather. The ferry dock is right downtown.

You might want to check and see what exhibits are showing at the Seattle Art Museum. Kids under 12 are always free, and we visit often.

If you have time, Mount Rainier National Park is my favorite place in the whole world. A trip up to Paradise on a clear day is unforgettable.

The Seattle Children's Theater is excellent and located adjacent to the Pacific Science Center.

It's fun to have lunch at Pike Place Market -- lots going on there at any time of year.

On a clear day, the view from the Space Needle really is beautiful -- if you have the money to spend.

The aquarium on the waterfront is good.

:iagree:

Pike Place Market (up the hill climb from the aquarium) has all kinds of ethic food: Russian, Turkish delight, seafood, etc.

Ye Olde Curiosity Shop (south of the aquarium a couple of blocks) is a strong memory from my childhood. When I took my niece and nephew there and told them I visited it when I was 11, a elderly man said "I did too!"

There is the Museum of Science and Industry, and the museum at Boeing Field (flight). The Japanese Garden near the M of S and I is nice.

Experience Music Project.

I must agree with the person who said it looked like the space needle discarded its clothes in heap. I personally think it's a hideous structure, but Paul Allen needed somewhere to house his jimi hendrix collection (which is how it got its start).

I completely agree with this comment and thank you for correcting the name. I knew it was wrong, but I was too lazy to look it up!

I also thought with all the money and technology that Paul Allen has--there was so much more they could have done with the exhibits.

Pike Place Market (up the hill climb from the aquarium) has all kinds of ethic food: Russian, Turkish delight, seafood, etc.

Oh yes! The bakery across the street from the market is divine! Russian, I think?

It's also fun to watch the fish tossing in the market. Heck, I could stay there all day. So many yummy sights and smells to take in, and so little time...

The Museum of Flight is great! Don't forget about touring the Concorde across the street while you're there.

Editing...

The Experience Music Project was kind of "meh" for us, but the Science Fiction museum was really cool!

Thanks so much! We live in Eastern Washington but a trip to the west side only happens once every other year or so because of the expense. It will be just me and my girls, DH will have to work. We plan to be over there for at least 5 days so we should be able to fit in most everything!

I will definitely looking into the Boeing museum, and we never miss the Science Center. The girls would LOVE a ferry ride too! It's five months away and I can't wait!

The Boeing Manufacturing Plant Tour in Everett is really great.

The Woodland Park Zoo is good. The Ballard Locks are interesting (and free).

The Aquarium is wonderful! Love the otters! It is well presented and interesting.

Ride the ferry from Seattle to somewhere and back. It's just fun and very much a Northwest Experience.

The Science Center is a bummer. Half the exhibits don't work and it always feels sort of grubby. Special exhibitions excepted. The Discovery Center in Boise is 5000 times better that the Pacific Science Center.

You could ride the ferry to Bainbridge Island and be in my hometown!!!! When I took dd I did Pike place, Aquarium, Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe, Ivar's, the ferry to Bainbridge, drive to Kingston, ferry to edmonds, explored the beach, back to Seattle.

Ones that haven't been mentioned:

My top choice for interesting/unique in June? Check the tide charts! If there's a good low tide, find a good beach and enjoy yourselves! My kids have held sea stars of all sorts including ones w/ 20 rays and others 3 feet across. And many, many kinds of crabs. And baby Giant Pacific Octopi! They've seen anemones, moon snails, sand dollars... Obviously you want to respect the beach and the wildlife but with careful looking you can find SO much on PNW beaches! (Take a good guidebook.)

My second choice: the Chittendon Locks connecting Puget Sound to Lakes Union and Washington; wonderful to just hang out and watch especially if it's a nice day, and there's a small but interesting visitors center/museum, and it's FREE

just seeing the Lake Union houseboats!

if transportation isn't an issue, Northwest Trek is a nice nature park dedicated to PNW animals

for the $$, I'd just as soon visit the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma as the Seattle Aquarium. They've been working hard at upgrading Point Defiance, it has aquariums (one dedicated to Puget Sound sealife), walruses, seals, puffins and PENGUINS.

I agree w/ previous posters, there's something just FUN about a ferry ride. For a quick ride and a fun adventure, you can ride on one of the only (maybe the only) county-owned ferry systems. Pierce County runs a ferry between Steilacoom and Ketron and Anderson Islands. If you have a car, Anderson Island is a fun island to drive around; the General Store is a hoot! You see the state's island penitentary while on the ferry (but the prison has its own ferry system).

If you have time, take a day (or two or three!) to visit Olympia National Park and if nothing else visit one of the rainforest areas -- temperate rainforest being pretty rare in North America!

Oh, one of the old defensive forts would be interesting too: Fort Worden or Fort Casey. Fort Casey has a nice lighthouse that you can climb up. Fort Worden has converted old military housing into rental cabins.

ETA: Deception Pass is gorgeous and there are some nice hiking paths and beaches.

Other:

Tillicum Village is a popular school field trip but I've never been so no personal report.

And dh insists that I add also that Pikes Place is crowded like the mall the day after Thanksgiving every stinkin' day of the year!

Edited by Rockhopper

If you have time, Mount Rainier National Park is my favorite place in the whole world. A trip up to Paradise on a clear day is unforgettable.

Paradise webcam has seveal views from Paradise, including from Camp Muir, and Longmire.

My second choice: the Chittendon Locks connecting Puget Sound to Lakes Union and Washington; wonderful to just hang out and watch especially if it's a nice day, and there's a small but interesting visitors center/museum, and it's FREE

they also have a fish ladder. You can include the hatchery in downtown Issaquah and talk about the salmon cycle.

Oh, one of the old defensive forts would be interesting too: Fort Worden or Fort Casey. Fort Casey has a nice lighthouse that you can climb up. Fort Worden has converted old military housing into rental cabins.

And dh insists that I add also that Pikes Place is crowded like the mall the day after Thanksgiving every stinkin' day of the year!

ft casey is a great place to fly a kite or explore the bunkers - bring flashlights. they've torn out the brush so you can now see across to Pt Townsend from the parade ground. depending upon the day, you can see the ships go by. last time, we saw cruise ships leaving seattle.

We agree with your dh, we never to go PPM for itself, the only time we go is for Maximilians (and our reservations are invariably after PPM has closed) - very good french restaurant over looking elliot bay.

Ones that haven't been mentioned:

Pioneer Farm Museum and Ohop Indian Village is perfect for your children's ages. It's a bit south of the convention. It was a favorite for my kids for several years at that age.

If you are up to a mile or longer (up to 4 miles) walk, Nisqually Wildlife Refuge is cool; you can see some really neat wildlife and every trip is different. Here's a link to 5 posts I wrote on my blog with tons of photos of each visit.

If you have extra time in Olympia, Tumwater Falls is a nice, short walk. McLane Creek Nature Trail is called "the beaver ponds" by the locals. Go to the restroom before you go as the ones there can be awful.

The Tacoma Children's Museum just moved (opened Saturday) and is brand new. Haven't been there yet; the snow killed our plans to visit this week.

Edited by joannqn