Menu

is anyone else afraid to eat fish?

With the oil spills, the Gulf Coast tragedy, the Japan tragedy and resulting nuclear waste pouring into the ocean, I'm honestly afraid to eat seafood. I have cut waaaaaaaaaaaay back, and now that I'm trying to go vegan 5 days per week, I'm wishing I could have a treat of a plate of scallops, or haddock, or my favorite - SUSHI, periodically. But I keep feeling more and more uncomfortable about eating any seafood anymore. Am I just crazy? Has anything read anything about this? I haven't done a RECENT google search, but have since the tsunami in Japan.

I did see that shrimp in the Gulf Coast are growing to monstrous proportions and scientists don't understand why. When I saw the news clip, the shrimp were absolutely HUGE. I've never seen such a thing.

Thoughts?

With the oil spills, the Gulf Coast tragedy, the Japan tragedy and resulting nuclear waste pouring into the ocean, I'm honestly afraid to eat seafood. I have cut waaaaaaaaaaaay back, and now that I'm trying to go vegan 5 days per week, I'm wishing I could have a treat of a plate of scallops, or haddock, or my favorite - SUSHI, periodically. But I keep feeling more and more uncomfortable about eating any seafood anymore. Am I just crazy? Has anything read anything about this? I haven't done a RECENT google search, but have since the tsunami in Japan.

I did see that shrimp in the Gulf Coast are growing to monstrous proportions and scientists don't understand why. When I saw the news clip, the shrimp were absolutely HUGE. I've never seen such a thing.

Thoughts?

I thought I read that those big shrimp periodically show up and scientists don't know why. (ie it's a cyclical thing they don't understand, not a new thing.) I still eat Pacific salmon regularly, but I do think about the radioactive stuff possibly affecting the fish. I still eat it though. I had a lot of scallops at the beach this year (east coast) and enjoyed them without reservation!

Thoughts?

I hadn't thought about it, but now I am sure the little voice in my head will be hard at work.

Danielle

I thought fish were supposed to be super-healthy? Geez... everything is suspect these days! :tongue_smilie:

I don't eat fish anyway. Can't stand the texture. And I've gotten a number of "lectures" telling me how healthy it is... now I have a response!! :lol:

I think there are still health benefits to fish - high omega 3 factor, etc. But I would not eat anything from areas that have been heavily polluted or types of fish that live mainly in shallow water.

I thought fish were supposed to be super-healthy? Geez... everything is suspect these days! :tongue_smilie:

I don't eat fish anyway. Can't stand the texture. And I've gotten a number of "lectures" telling me how healthy it is... now I have a response!! :lol:

:iagree:

I keep trying to like seafood, but I just can't stand it. I will just happily eat my omega oil vitamin things and not worry about seafood anymore. It is so nice to have another reason.

:iagree:

I keep trying to like seafood, but I just can't stand it. I will just happily eat my omega oil vitamin things and not worry about seafood anymore. It is so nice to have another reason.

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry. But.... your username is DOLPHIN. It made me laugh that you don't eat fish.

(Maybe I need a nap.... lol.)

We bought a case or two of canned wild salmon from Costco right around the events in Japan.

I wasn't really thrilled with the issues surrounding fish before that. Mercury, PCBs, farmed fish grown in nasty conditions with lots of antibiotics, and the omega content of certain farmed fish like Talapia is terrible (not so heart healthy!) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/07/080708092228.htm . There are human rights issues surrounding Asian shrimp processing http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/04/23/asia-shrimp-usa-idUSN2342204020080423

Very little seafood gets any type of safety check. 1% is inspected, and only .1 percent is tested for banned drugs, etc. (banned antibiotics for example) http://foodsafety.news21.com/2011/imports/seafood

We eat shellfish a few times a year, and some canned wild salmon, and the occasional fillet of wild caught salmon.

I think the whole "healthy" fish thing is very overblown. I am not convinced the fish most people consume is all that healthy. Lots of people are consuming farmed fish with PCBs and antibiotics (even if you don't think consuming the antibiotics is a problem, it is still known to contribute to drug resistant bacteria), or consumed farmed fish like talapia that have undesirable omega ratios that can actually be harmful.

You need to eat fish from Whole Foods, the

farmed kind (they sell a kind of farmed salmon

I think).

They apparently have decent farms that don't

use pesticides or lye or coloring or weird stuff.

I do avoid fish from the ocean. The radiation

isn't just going to stay in Japan! The water is

all connected!

I think).

all connected!

Aren't many fish farms still in the ocean? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081215091017.htm

It seems like they still use a lot of "sea cages" and the like that are connected to waterways anyway? I'm not sure, but that was my impression.

I think).

all connected!

I will have to check into this, because everything I've EVER read about farmed fish is that it is not good. Stay away!!!

Mercury. No thanks! With my first preg, the nurse said - eat fish sparingly, maybe 2 times per week at max. When I was pg with #2, she said, maybe once every other week. By my third pregnancy, she said, do not eat fish, or give it to your small children. By pg #4, she said, now even I won't eat the polluted stuff.

A pity!!

Aren't many fish farms still in the ocean? http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081215091017.htm

It seems like they still use a lot of "sea cages" and the like that are connected to waterways anyway? I'm not sure, but that was my impression.

yes, a lot of them are in the oceans. I watched a documentary about a year ago (don't remember if it was PBS) and it was all about fish farms. The farms WERE in the ocean, but the medication and feed they fed the fish actually killed all other life in the water, plant and animals alike. :sad: It's just not good.

I know that the Gulf is experiencing a problem right now with an influx of black tiger shrimp, which are the largest in the world. They are invasive and very predatory. But I haven't heard that shrimp native to the area are growing larger than usual....

We still eat seafood. I'm hoping that the waters of the world are still voluminous enough to filter the junk going into them (at least for now)....