Menu

vegan, whole food diet and scrawny weaklings

This fits dh and me too. I am type A and can happily exist on mainly fruit & veggies, but I am not vegan. I still eat eggs and use sour cream or butter in cooking. I also LOVE fish and would not cut it out but I can certainly live without beef, pork or chicken for a while. DH is type 0 and thinks he has not eaten if there has not been meat in his meal.

Just a quick note for folks thinking of going vegan: The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has a great website with lots of information about vegan nutrition. There are recipes, too, and their own Power Plate graphic to help plan meals:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/

I have their kids book. There are lots of healthy do-able recipes in there.

I just noticed I actually have four vegan cookbooks. And I'm not vegan. :001_huh:

Isn't silicone Vegan? :D

Dawn

Must be!:D

I also think that some of these healthy looking vegans devote their whole life to being a healthy vegan. They probably spend all their free time planning meals, excercizing, tweaking their diet etc... and for those of us with a little less time on our hands- well, we could starve.

Those of you that are vegan, are you exclusively 'whole food' or just plain vegan? I think that the 'whole food' twist thing limits options. And as pp said you really do have to eat right for your body. Some can be 'whole food, raw' vegans and do well.

I also know that there are some amino acids that can only be found in meat- red meat to be exact, and I wonder if digestion can be impaired over time. We were just talking at herb class last night about how it can be difficult to come back from a vegetarian or vegan diet because your body begins to stop producing some amino acids because they are just not needed for so long and to get them back can be a bit of a chore. People usually need to take supplements to get their digestion back and that is a bit of a scary thing because your digestive efficiency (enzyme production etc...) does decrease as you age.

I also think that some of these healthy looking vegans devote their whole life to being a healthy vegan.

That's a common misconception. It's not true for me or for any other vegans I know.

In fact, I'm pretty sure, after reading lots of threads here about dinner and meal planning, that many, many of the omnivores on these very boards spend MUCH more time thinking about and preparing food than I do in our home.

I'm wondering what you think would take so much time?

Those of you that are vegan, are you exclusively 'whole food' or just plain vegan?

I'm pretty sure we'd be even healthier if we did the whole food thing. However, the sad truth is that eat our share of junk food.

I'm forever trying to explain to people that we're vegan for ethical/spiritual reasons, which means I'll eat anything as long as it doesn't have any ingredient that came from an animal. Potato chips? Sure, as long as they are just potatoes, oil and salt. Chocolate cupcake? Absolutely, as long as it's egg an dairy free and is baked with vegan-acceptable sugar.

Now, I still think we're eating healthier than most folks on the dreaded "standard American diet," because our choices naturally exclude some of the stuff that is bad for us and encourage us to eat things that are good for us. But that's not the motivating premise.

I also know that there are some amino acids that can only be found in meat- red meat to be exact . . .

I'd love a source for that information? All of the research I've done over the nearly 30 years I've been vegetarian/vegan suggests that there are only eight amino acids that are necessary for humans to eat, all of which are available from plant-based sources.

The only problem I've ever had with "digestion" actually cleared up when I went vegan. I spent two years running around to doctors and having tests trying to figure out why my stomach hurt all the time. I was eventually diagnosed with excess acid and put on medication. Then, about a year after I went vegan, I was cleaning out my purse and found some very old pills crumbling in the bottom. I realized I hadn't needed to take the meds since I quit eating dairy, and I've never needed them again (16 years later). The only times I've ever had any similar problems have been when I accidentally eat something with dairy or eggs in it.

Must be!:D

I also think that some of these healthy looking vegans devote their whole life to being a healthy vegan. They probably spend all their free time planning meals, excercizing, tweaking their diet etc... and for those of us with a little less time on our hands- well, we could starve.

Those of you that are vegan, are you exclusively 'whole food' or just plain vegan? I think that the 'whole food' twist thing limits options. And as pp said you really do have to eat right for your body. Some can be 'whole food, raw' vegans and do well.

I also know that there are some amino acids that can only be found in meat- red meat to be exact, and I wonder if digestion can be impaired over time. We were just talking at herb class last night about how it can be difficult to come back from a vegetarian or vegan diet because your body begins to stop producing some amino acids because they are just not needed for so long and to get them back can be a bit of a chore. People usually need to take supplements to get their digestion back and that is a bit of a scary thing because your digestive efficiency (enzyme production etc...) does decrease as you age.

I think anyone, vegan or not, that is serious about their health is going to spend more time than the average person on planning their meals and such. I highly doubt anyone would starve that didn't have the time to plan meals. :lol: It just takes a different way of thinking when planning meals, which most non-vegans don't understand. I don't give much thought to what I eat on a day-to-day basis. I do put a lot of effort into planning my meals, though, but that's only because I like to make new recipes all the time so I'm always looking for something new to try. :)

I've known people that have been vegan for many years and then ate meat for one reason or another and never had an issue with it. Meat takes a very long time to digest so if anything, that is going to impair your digestion as you age. Which amino acids can only be found in meat? I've never heard of that before so I'm curious.

I am probably 85% whole foods just because I like my occasional treats. :)

I haven't read all the responses, but if you want to lose weight and not feel deprived, you might consider reading, "Eat Fat Lose Fat". It's a whole foods diet that's pretty much the opposite of politically correct nutrition (and they have plenty of science to back it up).

I never knew of vegan body builders. :lol: I think super buff body builders look strange and unnatural, but it does give me evidence that veganism doesn't equal weak. Mac Danzig looks normal and strong!

Okay, can we further encourage me by linking a whole food vegan who looks normal and healthy. I want to know it isn't vegan white bread , chips or cake or whatever that keeps people from being too skinny.

And thanks to those who were so up PC to say they have noticed ill health effects of a strict vegan diet.

And to those I put-off. I am sorry. I am a cranky, hungry lady right now. Even beans, nuts and avacado don't keep me full.

My daughter and I just read Skinny B**ch and it was a really good book, I also recommend http://www.healthyb**chdaily.com as a daily motivator.

I don't spend that long meal planning and cooking. In fact, I spend very little time. Each day of the week has a theme in our house; for instance, Monday is soup, Tuesday is "rice and sauce" (curry, burritos, etc.), Wednesday is sandwiches of some kind and salad (though every day generally has salad involved).

It's not that hard (to me) to whip up some kind of bean-based soup and a salad, or make some nut butter and quinoa, or make some burritos, etc. For special occasions, I spend more time on more elaborate dishes, but everyday food is pretty simple.

I do buy pre-washed and cut greens and some pre-cut vegetables, though. That saves quite a bit of time.

I never knew of vegan body builders. :lol: I think super buff body builders look strange and unnatural, but it does give me evidence that veganism doesn't equal weak. Mac Danzig looks normal and strong!

Okay, can we further encourage me by linking a whole food vegan who looks normal and healthy. I want to know it isn't vegan white bread , chips or cake or whatever that keeps people from being too skinny.

And thanks to those who were so up PC to say they have noticed ill health effects of a strict vegan diet.

And to those I put-off. I am sorry. I am a cranky, hungry lady right now. Even beans, nuts and avacado don't keep me full.

Here are a few: http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html

I was going nuts yesterday. I underestimated how hard it would be to go whole food vegan. First of all, I need more protein than I thought I did. I was eating a lot of veggies and I think it was the lack of protein that made me so hungry I was beginning to think the diet was just one step up from starving myself. I am going to put more effort into getting vegan protein. Secondly, it is not easy to get the food I want to eat. On Sunday I went to the store and these are the things they did not have which were on my list; tortillas, carrots, broccoli, alfalfa sprouts, strawberries and avocados. That knocked some dishes off my menu. Today I went to a different store and bought tortillas made with white flour because that was the only kind they had. I made some Mexican inspired food that was really yummy and filling. I think I am going to have to make such compromises, because being strict was starting to stop me from functioning normally. I was that hungry.

I was never considering sticking to a vegan diet for life, just a whole food vegan diet for a month. I wanted it to be like a cleansing. Some people fast, or juice, I wanted to do this. I have learned that vegans are not all scrawny weaklings. I like that Whole 30 site. That might be my next step, after this. I don't know my blood type, so I don't know how that factors in. I called my mom to ask her, but I didn't get through. Thanks to all who responded.

And remember how I said if I was a stripper the men would boo me back when I was 50 pounds overweight. Well now I think some senior citizens would clap for me. :D

One plant based diet that might be an option for you is the McDougall plan, which is starch based and then you add in non-starchy fruits, veggies, beans etc. It is very low fat but I add nuts, seeds, avocados, nut butters etc. I was very hungry on a plant based diet until I tried one thast was starch based.

Another site with yummy recipes: http://ohsheglows.com/

Edited by Quiver0f10

I think anyone, vegan or not, that is serious about their health is going to spend more time than the average person on planning their meals and such. I highly doubt anyone would starve that didn't have the time to plan meals. :lol: It just takes a different way of thinking when planning meals, which most non-vegans don't understand. I don't give much thought to what I eat on a day-to-day basis. I do put a lot of effort into planning my meals, though, but that's only because I like to make new recipes all the time so I'm always looking for something new to try. :)

I've known people that have been vegan for many years and then ate meat for one reason or another and never had an issue with it. Meat takes a very long time to digest so if anything, that is going to impair your digestion as you age. Which amino acids can only be found in meat? I've never heard of that before so I'm curious.

I am probably 85% whole foods just because I like my occasional treats. :)

Okay, I just checked it out further and there are a number of sites that explain that the amino acids found in meat are abundant and combine to form a complete protien. You can actually find all the amino acids in a plant based diet but it is more difficult and some sites seemed to indicate that to form a complete protien you would have to combine foods. Some amino acids are not as easily attained through a plant based diet.

So I do stand corrected.;)

I think that being vegan may not be as difficult as being whole food vegan. My mom did the whole food thing for a while and, while there are definite benefits, we were all worried because she became guant and unhealthy looking.

You can actually find all the amino acids in a plant based diet but it is more difficult and some sites seemed to indicate that to form a complete protien you would have to combine foods. Some amino acids are not as easily attained through a plant based diet.

This is kind of an outdated idea. The whole "complementing" thing was popularized by Frances Moore Lappe in her "Diet for a Small Planet" back in the 1970s. At the time, the author was very concerned with proving that a vegetarian diet could have as much protein as a meat-based one and really stressed showing how that could be done.

However, 10 years later, she recanted and explained that all of that complicated stuff she said in the original version of the book wasn't actually necessary. Contemporary science shows that we don't have to eat "complete protein" at every meal. Instead, as long as we're getting all the assorted amino acids we need somewhere in our diets, which is entirely do-able as a vegan, our bodies are perfectly capable of using them appropriately.

And, in fact, it's easier to do that on a whole foods diet than one like my family eats, because processed foods have more calories and fewer nutrients.

As I understand it, as long as one is eating enough calories and a resonably balanced and diverse diet (one not too heavily dependent on any one food or one category of foods and not made up too heavily of junk foods), it's really tough not to get enough protein.

Edited to add: I haven't read the whole thing yet, but here's an article that seems to sum up what I was trying to say: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-complementary-protein-myth-wont-go-away.html

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I was naturally really skinny when I ate lots of meat and typical American diet with lots of white flour, processed foods and sugar growing up. I ate a lot of food and not all healthy foods. I switched to vegetarianism for environmental reasons and I was worried about losing weight but I actually gained just a little. I'm still skinny but that is genetics. None of my friends who are vegans are scrawny, too skinny and definitely not weaklings and some of them are whole foods vegans. They don't spend all their time devoted to it. They have busy lives with jobs or small children. I don't see how eating whole food over flour and sweets will make someone skinny? A vegan diet is very healthly and balanced if done right and it certainly doesn't make you scrawny. If you aren't feeling satisfied try adding more fats, protein and whole grains. If you were going crazy doing all whole foods and feel less stressed and better having some flour products that are not whole grain then don't worry about it. To me it is about balance. I try to eat a lot of whole grains over white flour but I allow treats and I am about balance so I am fine with those things in moderation. Vegans will actually live long lives if they eat a balanced diet. I am really skinny but I am more of a flexitarian now. My weight has nothing to do with being mostly a vegetarian it is just how I am. I am not a weakling because I am skinny and I am so sick of everyone thinking that. I literally had people telling me daily things like you will break in half or the wind will knock you over in high school and it was not true at all.

Edited by MistyMountain

This is kind of an outdated idea. The whole "complementing" thing was popularized by Frances Moore Lappe in her "Diet for a Small Planet" back in the 1970s. At the time, the author was very concerned with proving that a vegetarian diet could have as much protein as a meat-based one and really stressed showing how that could be done.

However, 10 years later, she recanted and explained that all of that complicated stuff she said in the original version of the book wasn't actually necessary. Contemporary science shows that we don't have to eat "complete protein" at every meal. Instead, as long as we're getting all the assorted amino acids we need somewhere in our diets, which is entirely do-able as a vegan, our bodies are perfectly capable of using them appropriately.

And, in fact, it's easier to do that on a whole foods diet than one like my family eats, because processed foods have more calories and fewer nutrients.

As I understand it, as long as one is eating enough calories and a resonably balanced and diverse diet (one not too heavily dependent on any one food or one category of foods and not made up too heavily of junk foods), it's really tough not to get enough protein.

Edited to add: I haven't read the whole thing yet, but here's an article that seems to sum up what I was trying to say: http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/diet-myths-complementary-protein-myth-wont-go-away.html

:iagree:

Hi OP :)

Good for you for trying to eat healthier! Others have mentioned that initially you may go through withdrawals, you may also go through a detox phase if you aren't accustomed to eating a lot of fruit and veggies. If you are hungry all the time I recommend not depriving yourself. Have a lot of snack options on hand like nuts, fruits and veggies. If you are looking for recipes this book, The Vegan Planet, has a lot of yummy recipes.

Here is a list of vegan athletes.

And finally, meet Amanda Riester - boxer, cancer survivor, body builder, and vegan.

amandar.jpg

Okay - this would not inspire me. I think she looks terrible.

They're putting that into medical school textbooks STILL (I have one on nutrition and I'm pretty sure I saw it in there.). Makes you wonder what else is in those books that's not true. :glare:

(Actually, I could pull one out that I have (published in 2008) and give a long long list of illogical, outdated and inaccurate statements made in there, but I don't have that kind of time on my hands in this lifetime...)

I am not a weakling because I am skinny and I am so sick of everyone thinking that. I literally had people telling me daily things like you will break in half or the wind will knock you over in high school and it was not true at all.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Dh has a vegan friend who is very thin. The term gaunt does come to mind. :tongue_smilie:He is actually very active and healthy though. He commutes to work by bike and leads a very active, outdoorsy lifestyle.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Dh has a vegan friend who is very thin. The term gaunt does come to mind. :tongue_smilie:He is actually very active and healthy though. He commutes to work by bike and leads a very active, outdoorsy lifestyle.

This could be one of those correlation not equaling causation things. I know several people like this who are not vegan.

Same here. When other kids are getting sick all the time, I sit back and smile that my two vegan children are NEVER sick. Seriously. We've been around people lately that have had the stomach flu and we got nothing. People will say to me, "Don't come near me, I'm sick." I just laugh because I know I won't get sick. :) Even my children's pediatrician compliments me on how healthy my kids are and how they're happy that they NEVER have to come in because they're sick and only for their checkups.

And I know a lot of nutritionists/doctors that will agree a vegan diet can be very healthy. :)

one of my best friend's daughters went vegetarian a couple of years back. I do believe she had dairy but I don't remember for sure. Anyway, there are seven people in the family, five kids. They all got the normal colds and flu during the season, but Anna, the daughter who entirely cut out meat, never once got sick. :001_huh: She had previously been somewhat sickly.

She is over weight and she did lose some weight, but not a whole lot. I need to ask to see if she's still vegetarian, but she definitely has put all the weight back on. :sad:

I'm really enjoying this thread!

I was vegan for 1.5 years after I had my first baby. I never felt better, and I was SKINNY and FULL of energy!!! I fear that my brain may need SOME protein so I'm not going to go totally vegan, but I'm aiming for animal products only twice per week. I, personally, do this because I love animals so much and I know what factory farming does to them, and even other farming. It haunts me. I have NO problems eating eggs from my own chickens because I know how good their lives are. :001_smile:

NO bashing for my feelings and beliefs either, please. I've felt this way since I could remember - wanting to rescue every animal under the sun. I can't change it and I don't want to.;)

One other thing, my personal opinion is that all those highly processed soy products should be eaten only in moderation. I don't have them much now, but good ole tofu is ok. LOVE a good breakfast scramble with silken tofu, green and red bell peppers, corn, sliced onion, curry. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

We are newly vegan and loving it! I feel more alert and I'm guessing I would have lots of energy if my twins would stop teething. :)

Denise, can you talk to me more about the processed soy vs. tofu? I have been limiting all soy because of the phyto estrogens. We have it twice a week. I know the processed meats are not good but do you feel that unprocessed soy is not as bad for you? I'm genuinely interested!

I have always had to keep a disconnect with meat, if I ever thought about it too much, I wouldn't eat it. And if I could see a vein or something, forget it! Lol.

Denise, can you talk to me more about the processed soy vs. tofu? I have been limiting all soy because of the phyto estrogens. We have it twice a week. I know the processed meats are not good but do you feel that unprocessed soy is not as bad for you? I'm genuinely interested!

One of my friends in college was Asian. She said that her family only ate soy products that were fermented most of the time. I liked edamame and she thought it was a little odd. I don't know if it was a family or cultural preference though.

I've seen a few people say that they didn't feel full when they went vegan or that they ate nothing but greens and I just want to say that I very RARELY eat salads. LOL. And if I did, I'd be hungry and never satisfied either! :D You really do have to remember that you can eat a lot of the same foods that you're used to, just modified. And you NEED fat in your diet to not only stay healthy, but to keep you feeling full and satisfied. If ever anyone is going to try the vegan route again, please, please don't just eat greens. Eat your normal foods! It will make being vegan a whole heck of a lot easier and enjoyable. :)

salads CAN be filling if you add the right ingredients. I have decided to switch around toppings weekly so that we don't get bored eating salads every day. This week we had steamed sweet potato chunks, steamed broccoli, baby corn, steamed brussels sprouts, sunflower seeds and dried (unsweetened) cranberries. Adding nuts and seeds AND adding a good dressing with fat will all help.

One plant based diet that might be an option for you is the McDougall plan, which is starch based and then you add in non-starchy fruits, veggies, beans etc. It is very low fat but I add nuts, seeds, avocados, nut butters etc. I was very hungry on a plant based diet until I tried one thast was starch based.

Another site with yummy recipes: http://ohsheglows.com/

I ate using the McDougall plan almost 20 years ago. It's when I was 100% vegan. I was skinny, and I felt FANTASTIC. Of course I had more energy, but that was 20 years ago. :tongue_smilie:

As much as I'd like to cut back on carbs, I just can't do no carb and no meat. McDougall DID limit fat, and I remember cooking everything in water. No thanks. I'm almost 50 and i want to ENJOY my life, including food.

My dr. kept telling me all those carbs were bad for my hypoglycemia, but my sugar numbers were always fantastic.

I used to use those vegan crumbles, seitan, soy hot dogs, etc. I just think ANYTHING which is highly processed is unhealthy. I do believe that tofu is good, but it needs to be eating in moderation. There have been recent studies on it but honestly, I haven't really read them.:tongue_smilie: I tend not to get all caught up in the latest recommendations or what is being pushed/marketed, etc. because no matter what it is, opinions will change on it 10 years from now. That goes for diet, supplements, vitamins, etc.

salads CAN be filling if you add the right ingredients. I have decided to switch around toppings weekly so that we don't get bored eating salads every day. This week we had steamed sweet potato chunks, steamed broccoli, baby corn, steamed brussels sprouts, sunflower seeds and dried (unsweetened) cranberries. Adding nuts and seeds AND adding a good dressing with fat will all help.

That's very true. Unfortunately, when I think of "salads" it's the kind that people eat when they say they go vegan (and are hungry all the time) that consists of lettuce, maybe some cucumbers and tomatoes and fat free dressing. :glare: When I make a salad it's loaded with all sorts of yummy veggies, nuts and seeds and homemade dressing. :)

do you mix the nut butter right in with the quinoa? Do you add anything else?

I put a scoop of the nut butter in once it's cooked. I also add fruit then (berries, bananas, peaches--whatever we have that sounds good!).

Our salads involve mixed greens, mushrooms, other veggies, beans, nuts, and a nice vinaigrette. Yum!

• 1 year later...

I figured a little of something that makes people scrawny looking would be good for me.

ha ha ha, I totally know what you mean, it's certainly not all vegetarians, but there is a contingent that I think must be missing some vital nutrients. I think Denis Kucinich is an example of this, sort of sunken eyes and a pallor. I don't know. I saw this summary in a medical journal of children of cult followers who had been malnourished on a vegetarian diet since birth, basically, and I think that is the extreme version of this. I think cultures where vegetarianism is common, among non-malnourished people is what I mean here, people have experience eating in a healthy way; Indian vegetarians tend to be more creative and eat better than the typical 1970s style of American vegetarianism, which influenced my childhood in a way I am still trying to recover from (I avoid tofu like the plague).

I think that you should take the good things of vegetarians or vegans, and forget anything that might make you (or them) weak. Maybe eat a light amount of meat or fish, but seriously, you shouldn't just eat steamed veges all day long. Or maybe some organ meats for strength or something.

Let's face it. Life is about balance. If you try to go for a crazy or extremely difficult diet, you will likely not succeed. Likewise, I don't think it's meant to be.

Small changes and moment by moment choices are how to make a healthy lifestyle and a healthy body. Take your vitamins, exercise every day the way you enjoy, get plenty of sun and fresh air, and eat a varied, healthful diet that includes real old fashioned food like butter, whole grains, honey, milk and YES meat- we were meant to eat meat. But eat more grains and salads. Avoid white sugar like the plague but don't feel guilty if you have a treat.

Go easy on yourself, anything drastic is just thAt- drastic. And if something is a drastic measure it's not likely to be sustainable.

Blessings on your journey.

I've only skimmed, but it looks like your main motivation is weight loss rather than ethical. With this in mind, my recommendations would be different than if you were planning on veganism for ethical reasons.

You have mentioned that you tend to slip into a pattern where you start adding in animal food out of a desire to feel full and this causes you to slip further along the path to junk food. When I have seen this pattern in my friends, it often seems to follow "Oh, well, I'm already off-diet, so I might as well go further off."

Maybe trying to be too strict about your healthy diet is actually leading to less adherence in the long run. It might be easier to have a diet that is only 80% what you want to eat and 20% allowable treats (and plan those treats into your day) instead of trying to be perfect. It would definitely lead to more weight loss to adhere to a not-quite-perfect diet all the time rather than a perfect diet only sometimes.