Menu

Teaching numbers to 100

MistyMountain

Dd had a hard time learning letters and numbers. She knows her numbers to 10 and can figure out math concepts easily so far but I want her to learn more numbers. She learned her numbers from watching videos. :o I tried other ways and it wasn't sinking in and she got it down easily from a video. How can I teach her more numbers without it getting frustating? She get frustrated when she doesn't get something and doesn't like to try.

I'm wondering that myself. Dd is stuck at eleven, and has been for awhile now. If it takes her as long to get from eleven to twenty as it did for her to learn one to ten, she's going to be starting addition in third or fourth grade. :tongue_smilie:

If you want to make it to 12, you can play a game that involves rolling two six sided dice.

My 5yo ds who could not get past 20. Then he said he wanted to play bingo (I think he saw this on Handy Manny, a Disney kiddie show). So I got a bingo set (very cheap from the toy store) and believe it or not ds is learning the numbers without much effort on my part. DS is very competitive so he will really pay attention (I would repeat the number's 'name' and show the ball to him a couple of times) but now I find that he is getting better and better after only a few times. Hope this helps.

My Dd learned her numbers 1 to 100+ with Kumon books. We used My Book of Numbers 1-30 and My Book of Number Games 1-70 together and then My Book of Numbers 1-120 (can't find it on amazon, don't know why?) and My Book of Number Games 1-150 together. These books helped my Dd learn how to write her numbers as well as taught her how to count.

You can find the list of Kumon books here if you are interested. Hope that helped.

You can make her a simple teens/tens board to work with the numbers at home. If she has 1-10 down, she can start working with them. For the teens board, print the number 10 ten times rather large going straight down the page. Make paper numbers 0-9 to cover the zeroes and use manipulatives to help count:

becomes

You can do the same with twenties, thirties, forties..and then make a tens board that has

to become

and so on.

We used a 100 chart. That way my kiddos could see the patterns in numbers and that helped them learn them easier.

This is what I'm doing with DS2, who had trouble learning counting to 10 (R&S Counting With Numbers workbook taught him - nothing in real life would!). We're taking it slow, just one number per day. We put the number on the chart, we talk about the tens and ones involved, we count to that number, we get the same number of straws (bundling the 10's with a rubber band), and we also use coins (changing 5 pennies for a nickle, 2 nickles for a dime, etc.). When he's closer to 100, we might start doing some skip counting some days, or we might just keep counting by 1's and do it again next year (he's a young 5, so "K" is next year) and add in skip counting then - whatever he needs.

We started in October and are up to 24 now, so we haven't done this necessarily everyday, but after going through this each-and-every-day that we have, it's finally starting to sink in. He can count to about 29 at the moment. He's not sure where to go after that, but we also haven't gotten there on our number chart. By time we get through a few numbers in the 30's, I think he'll understand it well. Note that we are talking a LOT about place value here - tens and ones. That's the big important thing I'm pushing, not the rote counting.

This is how my son's K class did it in private school (they used Saxon K, so this was in their meeting book... For my middle son, it was also mentioned to do this in MFW K).

Our library has 30 steps from the main floor to the children's area. We have always counted them on the way up and down.

We also have a number chart. We count with it regularly but not every day.

My mom and her husband came to visit, and he gave the kids chocolate every time they helped him count to 100. Since they don't live nearby, they do a lot of spoiling while they are here. Some of it is useful though. ;)

I always take out math books from the library. My 3 are close in age to yours, so I always have a counting book on top of other subjects we are doing.

I also take full advantage of siblings whenever I want one child to hear something they are resistant to. My 1 year old likes the sing-song of counting, but I wouldn't really be counting to him.

Sometimes we play guessing games with cereal like Os. I lay out a pile and we guess how many there are. Once everyone guesses, we count them.

We used a couple counting songs for numbers in French. I don't know any in English, but you could always make one up.

So far, neither of the kindergarten math programs we are using (MEP, SRA Explorations and Applications) has assumed knowledge of any numbers. We started out with 0 or 1 and moved up from there. I'd just keep working it into little activities.

Does she understand place value? That is the place to start. It is very important to teach numbers beyond a single digit in the context of place value and *not* just have her memorize them.

A great way to help a young child with this is to do it the Math U See way (and the video may be on their website; it used to be on their free demo DVD). It uses base ten blocks (in this case the Math U See blocks, but any base ten set would work).

First, what part is she having trouble with? Can she say numbers past 10, as a rote speaking exercise? Can she recognize any numbers past 10? Can she write any? Does she know what they stand for? (ie. that 15 stands for a ten and five more)

Each of these could have a different approach. For learning to "count" (ie. say the numbers aloud by memory), I find walking up/down stairs and counting aloud together to be helpful, as a pp mentioned. For recognition, try the Bingo. For writing, perhaps the Kumon books or a whiteboard game. Place value activities are also extremely important. I guess I'm saying, you'll probably need to come at this from a number of different angles.

My 5yo ds who could not get past 20. Then he said he wanted to play bingo (I think he saw this on Handy Manny, a Disney kiddie show). So I got a bingo set (very cheap from the toy store) and believe it or not ds is learning the numbers without much effort on my part. DS is very competitive so he will really pay attention (I would repeat the number's 'name' and show the ball to him a couple of times) but now I find that he is getting better and better after only a few times. Hope this helps.

:iagree:

Does she understand place value? That is the place to start. It is very important to teach numbers beyond a single digit in the context of place value and *not* just have her memorize them.

A great way to help a young child with this is to do it the Math U See way (and the video may be on their website; it used to be on their free demo DVD). It uses base ten blocks (in this case the Math U See blocks, but any base ten set would work).

:iagree:

One more idea:

Count the days. Each day, tape a square of paper along the wall of her room (can be on a piece of string, like a garland). The first day's square says 1. The next day's square says 2. etc. Each day, she counts while you point at each number to review up to that point, and then hopefully she can figure out what the new square for that day should be, either by helping to write it and/or saying it. The benefit of this method is that it accumulates very slowly and there is built in review every day. To take it a step further, you could have the day's number be "Number of the Day!" and do an additional activity with it. So if the number is 13, maybe make 13 cupcakes or cut the cucumber into 13 pieces together or find 13 leaves in the yard, or draw a picture of 13 apples.

I like the way RightStart teaches it - 10, 1-10-1 (11), 1-10-2 (12), etc. (where you actually SAY one-ten-one). It just makes sense - that's really all the number is! :) Then at some point in the future, once she gets the one-ten-one, you can point out that "btw, another name for this is 11".

Both my kids (7&5) learned their numbers from RS & it wasn't until half-way through or later that they learned the "real" names with a little story & explanation.

It also helps when you go to actual adding - since 1-10-2 plus 1-10-4 is 2-10-6! :)

The one thing that my kids seemed to really like is a big hundred mat. I am going to post some pics on my blog this week of it because my 6 y/o is having so much fun with it. We roll big inflatable dice and then find the number, I call out numbers, you can do a whole bunch of stuff with it. If you have tiles in your house (like a tile floor) count those out while she walks. Good luck!

She is having more trouble with recognizing the numbers. She gets counting no problem and I think she will get the counting part of higher numbers no problem because counting came easy for her. She can count to 20 at least and I think she will get the higher numbers fine. She would able to do a rote speaking exercise. It is the recognizing of the numbers that was hard for her. I actually did have more starfall but the computer I had it on is being repaired. For some reason starfall does not work for her. I tried it with letters and numbers and it didn't sink in and I started making it an every day thing and did a few at a time over and over. She remembered everything that happen and what was coming up next but not the numbers. I also had put that youtube video on for the kids and that didn't work for recognizing numbers. I pretty sure if I made an every day habit of the video she would learn to count to 100 but not the numerals. I haven't worked on her on what 10s and place value mean yet. I want to do that but it is farther in the math curiculum I brought. I think I will go to that section with her. It only works on the numbers a few times in the curiculum so I don't think it will be enough to get her to recognize the number.

Edited by MistyMountain

I haven't worked on her on what 10s and place value mean yet.

Then don't worry about whether she can recognize numbers beyond 9.

You can prevent a lot of misconceptions about elementary math by focusing on understanding place value, starting with when they learn to recognize two digit numbers.

The other thing I did is I have a large hundred chart hanging in our kitchen. (I have a picture of the kind I am talking about on my blog but I don't know how to specifically link that picture, sorry.) I set a stepstool next to it and had a bunch of tic-tacs ready to go. I would ask her to find number 8, then she gets a tic tac, then number 20, then on and on. She liked the instant reward, I worked up slowly each week.

I got a chart with numbers to 100 and I think dd will be ok with some work and it won't be as hard as I thought. She really struggled with learning the numbers until 10. She wasn't getting higher numbers when they were not in chart form but hopefully it won't be as hard now. We were able to go through the whole chart and she was abe to name the numbers if I told her 20, 30, 40 etc. Since she can count to 20 she was able to point those out too. She made some mistakes which actually showed me she was recognizing a little how the tens and place value work and not just counting. Tens and place vaue isn't covered much in the curiculum and I don't like how they go over that so I want to try to find something that covers that better because I think that angle will work for her.

Using a number line, hundreds chart, and making stairs with the c-rods over and over and over. We do rote counting, but I stress understanding of place value. The rods are fabulous for this, because you can't help but see that 11 is 10 and one more (and so on with the rest of the teens), and that twenty is two tens, and so on. I consider these concepts to be the big deal of pre K/K math.

My six year old enjoys doing "mystery number"--I write a number (1-100), and he has to make it with the rods, or I make it with the rods, and he has to write it down. Sounds simple, but it really does force him to think. Sometimes I jazz it up by hiding around the room the slips of paper with the numbers for him to find and then show, or by choosing numbers from my "magic box" (an old Christmas cookie tin :)), or having a favorite stuffed animal do the numbers with him.

I like the way RightStart teaches it - 10, 1-10-1 (11), 1-10-2 (12), etc. (where you actually SAY one-ten-one). It just makes sense - that's really all the number is! :) Then at some point in the future, once she gets the one-ten-one, you can point out that "btw, another name for this is 11".

Both my kids (7&5) learned their numbers from RS & it wasn't until half-way through or later that they learned the "real" names with a little story & explanation.

It also helps when you go to actual adding - since 1-10-2 plus 1-10-4 is 2-10-6! :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Counting and understanding numbers is (or should be) place value. If you start with a naming system like RightStart's, the next step in math will be easy since your dc will easily understand how the numbers relate to each other. Skipping this type of number naming is truly skipping a basic math skill.