Menu

Teaching chess to young kids-- any apps??

KristenR

My dd5 got this children's Chess book as a gift recently and I figure I should add to it by getting some sort of interactive game.

I was just searching Amazon and found some cpu games. Fitz and Chesster and Dino Chess to name two. However Dino Chess seemed to have some negative reviews for not loading on older computers. And Fitz and Chesster had a couple complaints of the repetitive use of the word "stupid". (normally I wouldn't worry stress too much about it, but my dd3 has been on a rampage with that word recently and I don't want to add fuel to the fire :glare:).

I actually hat loading computer games because I never seem to have luck with it. So then I thought maybe I could just get a good app for the i-pad or i-phone. Are there any kid friendly ones that you can recommend. It would be mainly for my 5 year old but she is a strong reader so it can include some text. But mainly, I am looking for a fun game.

We have Dino Chess loaded on our Windows 98 with no problem! That's old, right! Our chess teacher recommends that for young kids starting out. We also like Fritz and Chesster. And Lego Chess software. But that one is a bit hard to find.

You might also try the logic board game by ThinkFun: Solitaire Chess. It teaches how the pieces move and works on strategy.

Not to be snarky or anything but...why not just buy a Chess set? You know, the game that the book will teach is available as a physical, tangible, product, right?

They have a lot of different kids/teach as you play type chess sets available. Just look on Amazon....

We recommend this too! DS just got it for Christmas and he loves it (never played chess before this).

I have No Stress Chess on my Wishlist and I am hoping to purchase sometime soon. I am really leaning towards Dino Chess first now that I hear it is an app-- And only 2.99!! My dd is OBSESSED with dinosaurs. And I think it would engaging enough to pique my dd3's attention as well. If they seem to enjoy it we'll follow up with No Stress Chess and a real board down the road.

Thanks everyone!

I read this book to my son. This book describes the chess pieces in historical fashion to how they might of moved on the battle field. It gave a purpose for the moves that helped each players moves stick in his mind. He LOVES to play chess. For Christmas he was given Solitaire Chess and he loves that as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Book-Chess-Set/dp/0894807676/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1325948612&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-3400-ThinkFun-Solitaire/dp/B0032UKQFO/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325948775&sr=1-1-catcorr

Sorry this does not answer your app question. However, I haven't seen a book that describes the pieces and their moves as well as this one does, so I felt you may want to know about it. You may find it at your local library.

Edited by Dino
PS :)

My son's been using Chess Master Grand Master edition by Ubisoft, which is a PC game, but I'm mentioning it anyway because he's gotten so much out of it. The game really talks you through the basic gameplay, and also discusses strategy. For instance, if you make a move that would make you vulnerable or just wouldn't help you much, it shows you, visually, exactly what would happen if you made that move and gives hints about how and why another move might be better. The other programs mentioned sound fun, too, though.

Not to be snarky or anything but...why not just buy a Chess set? You know, the game that the book will teach is available as a physical, tangible, product, right?

They have a lot of different kids/teach as you play type chess sets available. Just look on Amazon....

I see the OP has two children younger than her five year old. I bought Dinosaur chess last night thanks to this thread, mainly because my five year old and I have managed to complete ONE full game of chess since her brother started walking at 11 months. She learnt the basics before he was born and has continued to ask to play from time to time but little brother makes playing with a physical board and pieces either completely impossible or unbelievably stressful. DD will be happy to have an option that he can't interfere with.

I see the OP has two children younger than her five year old. I bought Dinosaur chess last night thanks to this thread, mainly because my five year old and I have managed to complete ONE full game of chess since her brother started walking at 11 months. She learnt the basics before he was born and has continued to ask to play from time to time but little brother makes playing with a physical board and pieces either completely impossible or unbelievably stressful. DD will be happy to have an option that he can't interfere with.

Yes, I'm not looking to add a physical chess set just yet. I will stick with a cheap app for now and purchase a nice set down the road when the pieces stand less of a chance of going walk-about.

You should absolutely buy a chess set-- and you get one when you buy No Stress Chess, which is highly recommended by everyone who tries it (if I recall correctly it's only about ten dollars). There are many options for other cheap, decent starter chess sets. Your child needs the ability to manipulate the pieces with their hands.

Solitaire Chess is excellent, but I don't think it would be a good way to learn chess for anyone, especially a typical beginner at around 5-6. Fritz and Chesster and Lego Chess are decent chess programs. Windows even has a free chess program called Chess Titans that will show the next available move, and can be used to play against a human.

We've found Learn Chess by John Nunn to be exceptionally clear, probably the best chess beginner's manual I've seen. It features wonderfully clear diagrams, and any parent would find it easy to explain the content to a child. If you want to put your child on the road to mastery, this would be a good choice of book. It's not babyfied, but it is really good.

There is also a free downloadable chess curriculum by chess wunderkind Susan Polgar.

We just have a solitaire cheap game on my iPod. My son started playing it on his own. He learned how everything moved and then asked to play on our real chess set one day. I don't see anything wrong with using an app. I don't play chess, I am not a good person to teach him. The.computer worked great.

For those with Dino Chess,

I was looking at a website for it. Am I correct in seeing that it uses normal chess pieces, but the opponent is a dinosaur?

Thank you.

I am loving this thread. My 6 year old is begging to learn, but I don't play myself.

Can't help myself. The juxtaposition of "That's just not the best way to do it" and "perfectionism resources" strikes me as ironic.

Fair enough, though you might want to look up the word "irony". "It's just not a good way"-- better? (By the way, coming to terms with the capitalization in your signature block has forced me to relax a bit more about grammar and usage on the web. Thanks for that. :D )

Edited by Iucounu

I strongly second this.

My son has been playing since age 5. Amazingly, not one piece has gone on a permanent walk-about--and I think this helped teach keeping things together: As in, all captured pieces go in the open box top, and then there is clean up: OK, let's see, are there 8 white pawns, 8 white other pieces, 8 black pawns, 8 black other pieces (or if child can count to 16, that would work) etc. at the end of each game... None has vanished even when there have been younger kids, and not even when the game has gone to DMV waiting room and attracted the attention of strangers. Once there was an hour hunt in ivy for a piece, but it was found (and we did learn that outside on very windy day is not a good idea).

Whether right now, or when you do get a real set, see if you can find "Wonder Chess"--which is fairly expensive for a plastic pieces chess set, but I highly recommend it for learning purposes. (And it has won awards, so I am not the only one to think so.) We didn't use prizes in the pieces or stickers, because play was its own reward, but did use a lot of the methods it gave to teach the game and game strategy.

He also plays chess against the computer, but that was secondary, not primary. It is the game that came with our computer, and has variations from standard; it was a good thing that he learned real chess first. It seems easier to go from the real thing in the normal way to screen and variations than vice versa so far as I can tell. Though I guess other posting feel otherwise.

(By the way, coming to terms with the capitalization in your signature block has forced me to relax a bit more about grammar and usage on the web. Thanks for that. :D )

Also fair enough, but honestly it's an internet forum. Who cares? :chillpill: Your wording combined with your signature just made me laugh. I don't disagree that physically manipulating the pieces is important btw (oh look, internet speak!), just that there is only one way to approach learning chess.

I have to thank those who suggested the Dinosaur Chess app, we downloaded it yesterday and DD is in love. "Mama, this game is FUN!". She is loving that her brother can't disturb the pieces and the little challenges (such as moving a knight to a specific square around a block of her own pieces while avoiding sections of the board patrolled by roaming dinosaurs) are really helping her to plan her moves further ahead.

My ds learned a lot from Fritz and Chesster -- perhaps you might want to reconsider it? IMO, the best way to learn chess in the beginning is by playing with an actual person. When my ds wanted to play chess, I learned to play with him. It was fun for both of us. And there is no reason that a five year old can't play regular chess, even at a competitive level.

We have got chess sets at Target, discounters for $5.

If your ds proves to be really interested, you might want to look at chess classes/camps/tournaments. It is great for kids to be with other kids who have the same passion.

I have to thank those who suggested the Dinosaur Chess app, we downloaded it yesterday and DD is in love. "Mama, this game is FUN!". She is loving that her brother can't disturb the pieces and the little challenges (such as moving a knight to a specific square around a block of her own pieces while avoiding sections of the board patrolled by roaming dinosaurs) are really helping her to plan her moves further ahead.

sounds like you got what you needed. Glad to hear she's liking it. My son loves dinosaurs and chess. We play with the old fashion board game at this time, but I might research this dinosaur chess app as an on the go option. :auto:

I have No Stress Chess on my Wishlist and I am hoping to purchase sometime soon. I am really leaning towards Dino Chess first now that I hear it is an app-- And only 2.99!! My dd is OBSESSED with dinosaurs. And I think it would engaging enough to pique my dd3's attention as well. If they seem to enjoy it we'll follow up with No Stress Chess and a real board down the road.

Thanks everyone!

We have the Dino chess app for our iPads and it's awesome! My six year old loves playing it and I really like the way they teach one piece at a time.

I love to play chess. I had to start them on the set my family had growing up. My 8yo started at 6 and loved it. My 5yo knows where all the pieces go and is still learning the moves. I remember showing my now 8yo the computer game version. She liked it at first, but the novelty quickly wore off. I bet if I showed her the new compter versions suggeted on this thread she'd really like them .