Menu

What is your favorite preschool curriuclum?

jessie410

I recently posted about choosing a K-12 curriculum and am leaning towards MFW with that, but it just hit me that I don't like MFW preschool. I need to order a preschool curriculum sometime in the next few months once our homeschool room is finished. I know many people say that kids don't need anything formal at these ages, but for me personally I would really appreciate having a good guide to give ME some structure and appropriate activity ideas throughout the day.

I have looked at HOD, SL, MFW, The Learning Box, ABC Jesus Loves Me, and Horizons. It is so hard to tell online exactly what you are getting with some of those!

I'm kind of leaning towards HOD and then adding in The Learning Box for extra activites every now and then. HOD seems like a gentle and organized biblical approach, which I think would pair well with all the activities from The Learning Box.

Basically I want something that will give structure and variety in a fun, gentle way. I also really want bible to be integrated. I want it to be more than just reading books, like I would want it to have fun and academic activities to help kids learn letters/numbers/colors/shapes/seasons/etc. Does that make sense?

Does anyone have experience with these programs, or have any other suggestions?

Well, I had many people tell me that MFW kindergarten was more like preschool so I decided to go with it for our preschool program. I'm just going to do it at a slower pace...three days a week, rather than five. We just started, but I think it will work out great. Looking through it, I agree that it is more of a preschool level than kindergarten.

Our day is very brief. For preschool we really focus on letters, shapes, colors and math. It doesn't take long to do the activities at all. We also do the scripture memorization (although I'm usually setting it to a simple tune.) There is a Science component that we sometimes use, sometimes not. For science at this age I prefer to get them outside and exploring.

The curriculum includes 180 lessons broken into groups of 30.

Lessons 1 - 30 include Day 1 - 3 of creation (science is centered around this), sort, compare, rhyme, describe, classify, letters A thru I, numbers 1 thru 6, oral counting to 10, red, green, blue, black white, yellow, triangle, circle, square, color, glue, stamp, draw, shape, fold, trace, cut, paint, basic PE activities.

Lessons 31 - 60 include Day 3 - 4 of creation, sort, solve (very basic) puzzles, letter recognition J thru S, numbers 7 thru 10 and 0, purple, orange, gray, rectangle, star, trace first name, glue, shape, paint, draw, color, stamp, basic PE activities.

Lessons 61 - 90 include Day 4 of creation, finish stories, complete sentences, rhyme, comparing, grouping, letters S thru Z, letter sounds A and B, numbers 10 thru 12, oral counting 0 thru 20, tell time to the hour, addition 1 + 1, star, heart, oval, review colors, cut, shape, glue, draw, assemble, trace.

Lessons 91 - 120 include Day 5 & 6 of creation, letter sounds C thru I, blend letter sounds a thru h, continue addition, diamond, pictograph, shape, color, cut, glue, draw, PE skills

Lessons 121 - 150 include Day 6 of creation, letter sounds J thru R, blends, home address and phone number, addition, subtraction, review shapes, art and PE

Lessons 151 - 180 include Day 6 - 7 of creation and Noah's flood, science includes body, letter sounds S thru Z, blends, initial sound of shape words, subtraction, art, pe

So, with those descritions given here is what I found - we really liked and used the first groupings, up through 90. From there we start to implement more from other sources. I used this as a younger preschool, so I did not go into addition and subtraction. I also found that she was not ready for blends, simply for maturity. At this point we are starting K4, and I am using All About Reading prelevel to reinforce concepts - she still struggles with rhyming and ending sounds. We are moving into Singapore Essentials for math, as she is strong in math. But again, she is young, so YMMV. I do like it for the basics and will be using it for at least the first 80 or so lessons again.

Hope that helps.

I love, love, LOVE Heart of Dakota's preschool program, Little Hands to Heaven. LOVE it. (Did I say that enough?) It is short and sweet, but teaches preschool essentials and is VERY open and go and easy to add to if you want to supplement here and there. I used it for both of my oldest and my DD(the oldest of the two) did it two years in a row when she was 3-4 and I just added in the older options for bible/devotional and some supplementary workbooks.

I am using Brightly Beaming's letter of the week curriculum. It had poems, songs, letters, numbers, shapes, colors, and animals. It has motor skill activities amd an outline of each days activities. I do not do it all, but it gives me something fun for my little one to do. And the best part....it is free! Just the cost to print. I so.t feel had of we dont do it all, because I did not pay anything. It has no Bible integrated, but we add in Bible stories and they do Bible based studies at co-op, we ecan expand on those. Se also get to join in with her brother's Bible verses things when we practice.

I love, love, LOVE Heart of Dakota's preschool program, Little Hands to Heaven. LOVE it. (Did I say that enough?) It is short and sweet, but teaches preschool essentials and is VERY open and go and easy to add to if you want to supplement here and there.

:iagree:100%! I'm using it with kid #2 right now, and it's so easy and good.

I have tried several boxed curriculums for preschool and the problem we have had is that kids change so quickly at that age that nothing has worked long term. We would go along on at a nice pace, making good progress and WHAM... major mind development and the next 3 months were obsolete. And I felt like I had to try something new -and I was spending way too much for preschool.

I am doing the Rod and Staff About 3 series with my 3 year old. I add in good books, daily bible stories, nature study with DS, and call it all good! I like the R&S because, lets face it, at that age you can't push and even if you did, you wouldn't get anywhere. So we can do it at her pace and at her request and yet she is still learning. Ocassionally, I throw in a unit study from 1+1=1 to fit the season and to add variety.

We recently bought http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com's K4 curriculum for my 4 year old and it looks great and is cheap ($10 for the download) and we plan on getting her PreK: Letter of the Week program ($10 download) for our almost 3 year old. My four year old is a bit advanced for the Letter of the Week as she already knows her letters and sounds.

We also plan on doing Before Five In A Row with my 3 and 4 year olds. I like it much better then their Five in a Row program although some of the books are out of print and very hard to find.

Forgot to mention starfall.com. My daughter knew her letters at 2 thanks to Starfall. I was using it with her older sister and she would toddle over and watch it with us and ended up learning them too. It is a fun, free program. We have started doing it again as it has a reading section for my oldest and we have started doing the alphabet part with my almost 3 year old.

Edited by teeniebeenie6

At two, we did Brightly Beaming's Preparatory Letter of the Week.

At three, we did Brightly Beaming's Letter of the Week.

At four, we did:

Sonlight P3/4

Before Five in a Row

What Your Preschooler Needs to Know

Handwriting Without Tears PK

Signing Time

Critical Thinking Company Building Thinking Skills Beginning

Kumon Cutting and Tracing books

Dollar Store workbooks

Leap Frog videos

The Carol's Affordable Curriculum looks GREAT! Everything I loved about the Learning Box but with Bible! Thank you, MamaHappy!

Plus, with the age ranges I'll be able to combine both kids perfectly. Yay!

I know, it really is great and so fun for kids. All I added was Singapore math Earlybird workbooks and lots of good read-alouds. We had a great year. :)

We did BFIAR with A Beka's workbooks (they have them for age 3 and K4).

BFIAR was very easy for me, open and go. The only thing I had to plan for were art projects, and I occasionally pulled some cool resources off the internet. Both my kiddos really wanted to play all day at that age, so it gave us just enough activity for their time-span. I considered using HOD with my second dd (was not published yet for my first), but I had used it with a co-op and decided it was too much for us in pre-school. If I had more than one child using it, I would probably have considered it, but since I had a 2nd grader with my preschooler, I needed a less is more type curriculum. I never considered MFW for my youngest because I couldn't see spending all that money on toys and activities. KWIM? I know there are going to be 100 MFW moms that are going to jump in here and tell me 100 different ways that I'm wrong, but that's honestly how I felt at the time. However, if I had another preschooler, I wouldn't change a thing. We'd do BFIAR and A Beka again:D

Blessings!

Dorinda

Here's my review of MFW's Preschool (3-5 year old) program: http://eightintow.com/archives/63

The reason that I like this one is because it met my goals, which are:

Get the little guy use to following instructions and sitting still for "school". This is to prepare him to sit longer and follow more detailed instructions when it comes time for Kindergarten in the fall. I will increase his time slowly with each sitting.

Develop his fine motor skills.

Develop his visual discrimination skills.

Reinforce his existing alphabet and mathematical skills.

Make the idea of school seem fun, and not a chore, so that he continues to look forward to starting Kindergarten. Since I do incorporate fun projects in school, it should remain fun to varying degrees.

It isn't as rigid as some programs. However, if I wanted him to do phonics and Math, I would just put him in Kindergarten. I run a pretty full ship when it comes to school, so I tend not to give them too much with preschool. He already knows his ABCs and numbers. He can spell small words and definitely knows what I spell a lot of times (such as b.a.t.h.). We do read together nightly and have for awhile.

Anyway, he likes it. It's fits the bill. He'll be all set for Kindergarten in the fall.

I'm so glad I opened this thread!! I have an upcoming preschooler and haven't any idea what I'm going to use. I don't want to use the hodge podge of mess I used with my dd's! I know that much.

I've tried Brightly Beaming but it's not enough open and go for me. It's basically a schedule with some little activities. I need more of a program to follow I guess.

I've purchased the Prek The Confessions of a Homeschooler and after printing letters A-E and realized the amount of INK and PAPER and laminating I'm going to have to do I pitched it QUICKLY! It was so fun looking, so full and so engaging..but once I print, laminate and organize it all that's an easy $100...as my printer used an ENTIRE colored ink cartridge just for letter activities A-E! :o HP sucks colored ink like crazy!

So now I'm seeking out something else! I want something laid out for me...open and go...tell me what I do on Monday, Tuesday and ect. I don't like schedules with too much flexibility if that makes sense...that makes me just pencil in NOTHING for the day I feel less motivated!

I LOVE the Carol's affordable curriculum! Never seen that before. Going to dig around a bit more about it. Probably give them a call tomorrow and hopefully know if it's a NO or if it's something to consider.

Edited by mamaofblessings

I am using a combination of HOD and 1+1+1=1's Raising Rockstar's Preschool. There is not as much color ink to print her program, she gives you a schedule and none of the program has to be laminated if you don't want. If you want to reuse pages and don't want to laminate her curriculum just throw it in a heavy-duty page protector!

I am using a combination of HOD and 1+1+1=1's Raising Rockstar's Preschool. There is not as much color ink to print her program, she gives you a schedule and none of the program has to be laminated if you don't want. If you want to reuse pages and don't want to laminate her curriculum just throw it in a heavy-duty page protector!

I must've hit my head because I love that blog and hadn't remembered that she had her own curriculum too!

I'm gonna over and take a peek now. THANKS!

When my oldest ds was a pre-ker, we did Carol's Affordable Curriculum and LOVED it! I can't remember why I didn't use it for my youngest, but I wish I had. http://www.carolscurriculum.com/

I used this too for my DD at 3, 4, 5...plus for her cousins and friend I babysat..2 were same age as her and the youngest was 2. We loved it - it was affordable - I bought 1 - 3 months at a time and I used the 'sonshine' and 'little disciples' if I remember correctly (they were the bible based curriculum. If I'm correct it was only $15 or $16 a month at the time. I think I saved a bit by purchasing 3 months at a time - but I bought the first couple of months independently to make sure I liked it.

You'll still need to add your own readers and stuff...but it includes all the worksheets, a few little readers, and ALL the craft items except scissors, glue and crayons. It comes in little bags ready to go - if you need black yarn pieces and 4 red pom poms...it's in there.

Edited by venusmom
Mis-spelled 'babysat'...oops!

I used this too for my DD at 3, 4, 5...plus for her cousins and friend I babysat..2 were same age as her and the youngest was 2. We loved it - it was affordable - I bought 1 - 3 months at a time and I used the 'sonshine' and 'little disciples' if I remember correctly (they were the bible based curriculum. If I'm correct it was only $15 or $16 a month at the time. I think I saved a bit by purchasing 3 months at a time - but I bought the first couple of months independently to make sure I liked it.

You'll still need to add your own readers and stuff...but it includes all the worksheets, a few little readers, and ALL the craft items except scissors, glue and crayons. It comes in little bags ready to go - if you need black yarn pieces and 4 red pom poms...it's in there.

For those that have used Carol's, would it be good for a bright 2 year old? My son is 22 months and asks for "school" sometimes. I also have a 6 year old with special needs. I'm considering getting this for them. Also, I know it's for preschool but I'm afraid my 7 year old would be jealous... should I get it for her too or is it way too babyish?

For preK this year I am using Sonlight Core P3/4, preschool packs from www.homeschoolcreations.com , ideas from www.1plus1plus1equals1.com as well as HWOT, Mathematical Reasoning beginning 1, Jolly Phonics, and Language lessons for Little ones, activities from B4FIAR, science and nature study with the big kids and what ever else grabs our attention. She loves school and begs to do it even on weekends and holidays. My 13 yr old is worried that she will catch up with him in math before 1st grade, because it comes naturally to her and he struggles so much.

This answer depends on your child's maturity and readiness for school. I will share with you what each of mine have done for pre-school, and perhaps something in it will be helpful.

ds8 (first-born): We finger painted all of the alphabet. Weekly story-time at the library complete with checking out a pile of books. I read to him aloud about 1 hour a day during sibling nap time. We also read about 1/2 hour before bed each night. The night time reading included a Children's Bible. The day-time reading included some literature like Winnie the Pooh. His favorite was Huckle in Richard Scarry. We also read the scholastic sound box books that taught him all his letters and initial phonics at a very young age.

Weakness: I should have done much more to develop fine motor skills. When we started K, right after his 6th Birthday, he didn't have the fine motor skills for handwriting.

ds6 (second born): He benefited from the older one doing school during his pre-school year. I remember doing some math with him (a little). We had the Lauri toys from MFW and they helped A LOT for fine motor skill development; particularly the lacing toys. His handwriting was easy for him at 5 as a result. We read a lot of books to him. We did the sound box books with him, and he too knew his letters and initial phonics very young as a result. I did use SL P4/5 with him for pre-school. He listened in on brother's phonics. He started MFWK just after his 5th Birthday, which was in April of his Pre-K year.

dd4 (third born): Begs, begs, and begs for school. She has done the IQ thinking books from SL Pre-K. We have read P3/4 & P4/5 from SL to her. She has heard a lot of books far beyond 4 due to big brothers (for better or worse. She always begs for more of them, so maybe it is OK). She has done Italic book A. She did the Lauri Toys from MFW that developed her fine motor skills. She is begging to start phonics with R&S like big brother. She turns 5 this month, and this should help meet her begging for school a bit more as she gains maturity. I have been doing some Little Hands to Heaven with her from HOD, and she has seemed to enjoy it.

So with all of that what is my favorite pre-school programs?

I think the Lauri lacing toys from MFW are excellent for developing fine motor skills. Other ways to achieve the same goal would be a string with tape on the ends and life savers or cheerios. Another would be tweezers, a jar, and macaroni. Another would be beading. Anything that uses the small muscles for handwriting. One of my friends teaches pre-school and one of their goals is to develop small muscles for handwriting. It worked out with my oldest not having them developed, but it took time. It is easier to develop those muscles in a 4 year old.

I love the P3/4 books from Sonlight. They could be added for great reading, listening skills, and vocabulary to any pre-school program.

I am enjoying HOD Little Hands to Heaven. I don't do every suggestion, but I do most of them. It is a great program for teaching initial phonics and the letters. My oldest two learned their letters from books we read, but we haven't done as well reading those books to my 3rd so she needs to still learn about 1/2 of the letters and basic phonics sounds. This program is excellent for teaching them.

Another great pre-school activity:

Write letters in flour. Build letters with legos. Count cars or other items. Build letters with chocolate chips and then make cookies. Read books and more books. Oh, pre-school is fun.. Enjoy!

I hope this helps. :)

I've purchased the Prek The Confessions of a Homeschooler and after printing letters A-E and realized the amount of INK and PAPER and laminating I'm going to have to do I pitched it QUICKLY! It was so fun looking, so full and so engaging..but once I print, laminate and organize it all that's an easy $100...as my printer used an ENTIRE colored ink cartridge just for letter activities A-E! :o HP sucks colored ink like crazy!

I too have an HP, we buy refilled cartridges on ebay for $7 or less for color and $5.50 or less for black ink. My favorite ink seller is phil2268. He actually fills the carts unlike so many others I have tried.

We haven't laminated anything yet. We bought these Crayola Dry Eraser activity centers to slip worksheets in. They work great. http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Dry-Erase-Activity-Center-Zany/dp/B00294J43Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1325567581&sr=8-10 When you are done with the worksheet, they can just be tucked in a binder to be used later. My only recommendation is to not use the dry eraser markers that come with the centers, I have read they stain. I just use some cheap ones I got on amazon. I've read that some people just slip their worksheets in a heavy duty page protector and use a dry eraser marker on that. There are lots of ways to make printed curriculums much cheaper. : )

I too have an HP, we buy refilled cartridges on ebay for $7 or less for color and $5.50 or less for black ink. My favorite ink seller is phil2268. He actually fills the carts unlike so many others I have tried.

We haven't laminated anything yet. We bought these Crayola Dry Eraser activity centers to slip worksheets in. They work great. http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Dry-Erase-Activity-Center-Zany/dp/B00294J43Y/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1325567581&sr=8-10 When you are done with the worksheet, they can just be tucked in a binder to be used later. My only recommendation is to not use the dry eraser markers that come with the centers, I have read they stain. I just use some cheap ones I got on amazon. I've read that some people just slip their worksheets in a heavy duty page protector and use a dry eraser marker on that. There are lots of ways to make printed curriculums much cheaper. : )

I use to use refilled carts on a previous HP and it locked my printer and I had to replace it. I didn't want to deal with that issue again. So it freaked me out on getting refill carts.

I already own the confessions of a homeschool program and really loved how much was with it. I'm all about laminating the activities he's going to do many times...such as the alphabet cards and puzzles. And I don't mind getting those pages for protecting you shared the link for to save on laminating.

I guess the REAL decision is...how much planning and prep'ing do I want to do for my preschooler on my own. How much do I want it to already be planned and prepared for me.

For those that have used Carol's, would it be good for a bright 2 year old? My son is 22 months and asks for "school" sometimes. I also have a 6 year old with special needs. I'm considering getting this for them. Also, I know it's for preschool but I'm afraid my 7 year old would be jealous... should I get it for her too or is it way too babyish?

The younger version of Carol's is great for a 2 year old. It is very close to the same activities as the older pre-school version, but it takes into account their less developed motor skills for something like using scissors and such.

My 7 year old would probably still enjoy it even though she is doing 1st grade. When I start using it for my toddlers I babysit I will probably try to afford one set for her just because she'll want to work along with them (she likes to play the teacher for them and she would be modeling it for them). So - your 7 year old could be told she is helping you teach the 2 year old. The nice thing about Carol's is you could buy the 2 year old one and the pre-school one for one month and if it is too juvenile for your 7 year old - you could just not buy it again - you are out less than $20 for all the materials you spent on a month. (I haven't checked recent prices - I ordered last a few years ago.)

Great thread! I love reading the preschool posts because, well, it's the only level that applies to us. :tongue_smilie:

I've had a lot of trouble finding a preschool curriculum that works for us. It needs to be secular, which eliminates 99% of what's out there. Dd is starting to sound out simple CVC words, and knowing letters and sounds eliminates 99% of the few secular programs that exist. We've been using Little Acorn Learning, but dd gets bored out of her tiny little gourd with things like fingerplays and rhyming verses. We bought AAR level pre-1, but dd was past it a couple weeks later. :banghead: Her development is so wildly uneven that there just isn't much that'll work for us. She's past what's out there, but isn't ready for a structured phonics program. Argh.

We'll probably start doing FIAR again. Most of the books need to be ordered through ILL though, and there's such a variation in how long it takes them to come that it's hard to plan ahead. One book might come in two days, and another might take six weeks.

Dd loves science. If someone came out with a preschool curriculum that was sort of like Syd the Science Kid, I guess (seriously, lol) but for homeschoolers, I would pay a lot for it. I'm starting to think we should just buy a microscope and have at it.

I'm really struggling here.

I already know what I want for my olders next year. I have NO IDEA what to get for my totboy who will be almost 3.5yrs old at the time and is ready for some school of his own.

I know my level of teaching and what I need in order for things to go smoothly. However I purchased LOTW from Confessions of a homeschooler early this year thinking it'd be perfect but my ds is our last dc and the cost for that curriculum really makes no SENSE! Because I won't be reusing it. Because I not only want to work on letters, but I want to incorperate seasons, colors, and crafting. I really don't want to put ALOT together on my own. Call me lazy! But I failed badly at that the years I attempted and my kids had to play catch up because of it!

So I need something that is laid out for me...includes letters, colors, numbers, crafts, songs, and such things....I also want something that has a lesson plan guide and most of the materials are easy to get ahold of if not included.

BFIAR was a bit much for me, I purchased 5 books to begin getting it together and when I flipped through the book at the homeschool store I was completely turned off by the flexibility. YES I actually don't like something THAT flexible. I want it to say do this...do that...like WWE and FLL does! I love that! Plus just ordering those 5 books that are NOT that easy to get ahold of cost me over $30 after shipping!

I guess I'm just so lost on what to even look at for ds. I love the curriculums that include the crafting items and such, but which one is worth it since there are several?

I can see myself putting together a preschool curriculum that is FREE that suggest certain crafts and has the links and such, but I don't want something as print heavy and preparation heavy as LOTW confessions of a homeschooler. I want to be able to comfortably print things that I can plan into our day and ds not get so overwhelmed with color happy goodness. I'm being realistic. I don't have 4 hours each day to sit and do preschool. I will have 2 other dc to teach as well. So I want something that ds and I can sit down and split our preschool days into 2 hours easily and comfortably! LOTW confessions of a homeschoolers lesson plans were just a guide but the lessons alone for 1 day would require the same amount of hours as my older dc, which right now they aren't independant workers 100% yet. And I know you don't have to do it all but what do you do and don't do...way too much flexibility for me in that.

I'm really struggling here.

I already know what I want for my olders next year. I have NO IDEA what to get for my totboy who will be almost 3.5yrs old at the time and is ready for some school of his own.

I know my level of teaching and what I need in order for things to go smoothly. However I purchased LOTW from Confessions of a homeschooler early this year thinking it'd be perfect but my ds is our last dc and the cost for that curriculum really makes no SENSE! Because I won't be reusing it. Because I not only want to work on letters, but I want to incorperate seasons, colors, and crafting. I really don't want to put ALOT together on my own. Call me lazy! But I failed badly at that the years I attempted and my kids had to play catch up because of it!

So I need something that is laid out for me...includes letters, colors, numbers, crafts, songs, and such things....I also want something that has a lesson plan guide and most of the materials are easy to get ahold of if not included.

BFIAR was a bit much for me, I purchased 5 books to begin getting it together and when I flipped through the book at the homeschool store I was completely turned off by the flexibility. YES I actually don't like something THAT flexible. I want it to say do this...do that...like WWE and FLL does! I love that! Plus just ordering those 5 books that are NOT that easy to get ahold of cost me over $30 after shipping!

I guess I'm just so lost on what to even look at for ds. I love the curriculums that include the crafting items and such, but which one is worth it since there are several?

I can see myself putting together a preschool curriculum that is FREE that suggest certain crafts and has the links and such, but I don't want something as print heavy and preparation heavy as LOTW confessions of a homeschooler. I want to be able to comfortably print things that I can plan into our day and ds not get so overwhelmed with color happy goodness. I'm being realistic. I don't have 4 hours each day to sit and do preschool. I will have 2 other dc to teach as well. So I want something that ds and I can sit down and split our preschool days into 2 hours easily and comfortably! LOTW confessions of a homeschoolers lesson plans were just a guide but the lessons alone for 1 day would require the same amount of hours as my older dc, which right now they aren't independant workers 100% yet. And I know you don't have to do it all but what do you do and don't do...way too much flexibility for me in that.

I think HOD is the curriculum for you! :001_smile: Have you gone to their boards and lurked/asked questions? It sounds like it's time.:D

Blessings!

Dorinda

I think HOD is the curriculum for you! :001_smile: Have you gone to their boards and lurked/asked questions? It sounds like it's time.:D

Blessings!

Dorinda

:iagree: I use HOD with dd4 (and used it before with dd8) and it is everything you described you wanted. The supplies you need for the crafts are laying around your house. I add in HOP Pre-K and ETC Getting Ready for the Code. I also add in a beginning math workbook (like what you would get at Wal-Mart), and ABC series preschool books from Rod and Staff. Even with the add-ins, it only takes us 45 minutes to do Pre-K. If I just did the HOD manual, it would take us 20-30 minutes.

For those using Carols...would you be able to share what sort of layout does the teacher get? Like do you get a schedule or lesson plan layout?

I really like to be told what to do when it comes to school, this helps me stay on track!

Carol's is nothing fancy...but it has a paperbound teachers guide for every month. It gives instructions for each day as in what worksheet(s) to use, what craft activities, what supplies to grab. Everything is in the box. It includes songs & fingerplays, they are in the guide and they were (when I did it) all printed on one sheet you could hang in your learning area to be able to view so you don't have to try to read them from the manual (if you prefer). It also included a newsletter detailing what would be learned each month, for daycares that use curriculum, so they can send home to the parents that send their kids. I used this for my dd & 3 others, so my 'moms' loved the newsletter. It came with a calendar for each month that you had the child glue on the number. My first kit came with a weather 'spinner' chart so the child selected what the weather was each day. There were little paper-bound readers for the shape of the month. Every month had a shape, a color, certain letters, and numbers. At the end of the month there was a cute craft that involved all of those items on one page. I made a little paper folder each month and put that craft on the front cover and stapled all of their worksheets and regular page sized crafts into their book. Other crafts like puppets, clothespin butterflies, etc. were always included too. It also had a monthly or bi-monthly 'report card' in order to track their progress. I would show them the letters, numbers, shapes, etc and mark the ones they were recalling. This was great to help me see how my pre-k student was progressing. It was very simple to use and stay on track, especially since I had older children in school and was babysitting a two year old, two 4 yr olds and had my own 4 yr old. (I started when the 3 girls were almost 4 & did it until they started K. The other 2 went to public school and I homeschool my dd.) It was not too long either - they were wiggle worms and wouldn't have sat still for two long. I used the curriculum in the morning - let them have play time - then we read books before naptime. I have wonderful memories of those days with my kiddos.

FYI...HOD & FIAR look adorable and very effective, too - I use MFW for my children, but really haven't looked at their pre-k curriculum - all of these would be too pricey for me right now though with older children home schooled as well. I really haven't looked at what WTM would recommend for pre-k either. At the time I was teaching with Carol's Affordable Curriculum - I wasn't home schooling and I came across Carol's when I left my job to stay home and my daycare had been considering using it for the pre-schoolers. Carol's was simple, thorough and affordable since I could just buy one or a few months at a time. After using Carol's and LOVING teaching my daughter at home - and struggling with the public school system trying to convince me that my rights to my children came after theirs - I ended up home schooling.

I don't know what I would use now, if I were looking for a great pre-k for my daughter again, if I knew about all the options like I do now...but I will likely be using Carol's again in a few months for my daycare kids...one is almost 2 and one already is - because it helped them learn the basics and was easy to 'open and go'. With a newborn I watch - and homeschooling a 7 & 11 year old - it was GREAT for us.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Haven't made it that far. I guess it's time! Thanks for the suggestion. I'm so glad that mama's here can put what I'm seeking towards a curriculum as I felt completely lost in this department. I was so terrible with my dd's in the preschool world as I was so new to homeschooling then, but now I feel like its perfect time for me to start off on the right foot with ds and learned my lessons with dd's...:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I use HOD with dd4 (and used it before with dd8) and it is everything you described you wanted. The supplies you need for the crafts are laying around your house. I add in HOP Pre-K and ETC Getting Ready for the Code. I also add in a beginning math workbook (like what you would get at Wal-Mart), and ABC series preschool books from Rod and Staff. Even with the add-ins, it only takes us 45 minutes to do Pre-K. If I just did the HOD manual, it would take us 20-30 minutes.

This is exactly what I'm hoping for! I want something that is stable, easy, and fun! BUT I also want it to be quick if it needs to be and a little more drawn out IF we needed to add a couple other SUGGESTED things.

Carol's is nothing fancy...but it has a paperbound teachers guide for every month. It gives instructions for each day as in what worksheet(s) to use, what craft activities, what supplies to grab. Everything is in the box. It includes songs & fingerplays, they are in the guide and they were (when I did it) all printed on one sheet you could hang in your learning area to be able to view so you don't have to try to read them from the manual (if you prefer). It also included a newsletter detailing what would be learned each month, for daycares that use curriculum, so they can send home to the parents that send their kids. I used this for my dd & 3 others, so my 'moms' loved the newsletter. It came with a calendar for each month that you had the child glue on the number. My first kit came with a weather 'spinner' chart so the child selected what the weather was each day. There were little paper-bound readers for the shape of the month. Every month had a shape, a color, certain letters, and numbers. At the end of the month there was a cute craft that involved all of those items on one page. I made a little paper folder each month and put that craft on the front cover and stapled all of their worksheets and regular page sized crafts into their book. Other crafts like puppets, clothespin butterflies, etc. were always included too. It also had a monthly or bi-monthly 'report card' in order to track their progress. I would show them the letters, numbers, shapes, etc and mark the ones they were recalling. This was great to help me see how my pre-k student was progressing. It was very simple to use and stay on track, especially since I had older children in school and was babysitting a two year old, two 4 yr olds and had my own 4 yr old. (I started when the 3 girls were almost 4 & did it until they started K. The other 2 went to public school and I homeschool my dd.) It was not too long either - they were wiggle worms and wouldn't have sat still for two long. I used the curriculum in the morning - let them have play time - then we read books before naptime. I have wonderful memories of those days with my kiddos.

FYI...HOD & FIAR look adorable and very effective, too - I use MFW for my children, but really haven't looked at their pre-k curriculum - all of these would be too pricey for me right now though with older children home schooled as well. I really haven't looked at what WTM would recommend for pre-k either. At the time I was teaching with Carol's Affordable Curriculum - I wasn't home schooling and I came across Carol's when I left my job to stay home and my daycare had been considering using it for the pre-schoolers. Carol's was simple, thorough and affordable since I could just buy one or a few months at a time. After using Carol's and LOVING teaching my daughter at home - and struggling with the public school system trying to convince me that my rights to my children came after theirs - I ended up home schooling.

I don't know what I would use now, if I were looking for a great pre-k for my daughter again, if I knew about all the options like I do now...but I will likely be using Carol's again in a few months for my daycare kids...one is almost 2 and one already is - because it helped them learn the basics and was easy to 'open and go'. With a newborn I watch - and homeschooling a 7 & 11 year old - it was GREAT for us.

This is exactly what I was asking about. Thank you for such a wonderful description of this particular preschool curriculum.

Thanks so much ladies. I'm off to go research the suggestions and hopefully be CLOSER to knowing what we're going to try out for preschool!

I'm using HOD LHTH with my 3(almost 4 year old) it is a perfect fit for her. She also uses the R&S ABC books. For my older two I just winged preschool and that was fine too, but for my 3rd I really need something planned out and short and sweet or it simply will not get done. I'm not sure yet what I will use for her when she is done with this because I o not want to start LHFHG until she is 5.5.

Aha! And based on that, I think the Developing the Early Learner workbooks are probably the material in question. And wow, Sonlight Core P4/5 has a great booklist!

It sure does :D We are using core P3/4 right now and LOVE it. I can't wait to do P4/5 with my dd next. No matter how many extra things I do with the kids I can not get away from Sonlight because I love their packages so much.

I think I've decided to use Carol's Affordable Curriculum. I want my ds to be engaged BUT also enjoy preschool. I want more crafts and hands on learning than anything else for him during his preschool years. This curriculum seems like the right fit for what I'm looking for. He loves to cut, paste, paint, and do anything craft related!

I will toss in some Leapfrog DVD's, Leapfrog Magnets, Melissa & Doug Puzzles & Magnets, Kumon Wipe & Erase Cards, and some Playskool Workbooks. All stuff that I currently own. I am considering picking up HWOT prek book for him to see how well he does with that. I started my dd's on HWOT in prek when they were 4 and it was fun for them but they flew through it in a matter of months. DS will be 3.5 when he begins preschool this upcoming school year.

Now that I've decided I feel so much better! PLUS I really think he's going to LOVE this and his big sisters will be willing to jump in and help him if needed! :)

And a side note...WOW if I had the fundage for SL 3/4 core I'd be all over that! But sadly I don't! I've got to make my funds stretch for ALL my kiddos.

I think I've decided to use Carol's Affordable Curriculum. I want my ds to be engaged BUT also enjoy preschool. I want more crafts and hands on learning than anything else for him during his preschool years. This curriculum seems like the right fit for what I'm looking for. He loves to cut, paste, paint, and do anything craft related!

I will toss in some Leapfrog DVD's, Leapfrog Magnets, Melissa & Doug Puzzles & Magnets, Kumon Wipe & Erase Cards, and some Playskool Workbooks. All stuff that I currently own. I am considering picking up HWOT prek book for him to see how well he does with that. I started my dd's on HWOT in prek when they were 4 and it was fun for them but they flew through it in a matter of months. DS will be 3.5 when he begins preschool this upcoming school year.

Now that I've decided I feel so much better! PLUS I really think he's going to LOVE this and his big sisters will be willing to jump in and help him if needed! :)

And a side note...WOW if I had the fundage for SL 3/4 core I'd be all over that! But sadly I don't! I've got to make my funds stretch for ALL my kiddos.

I am feeling the same way! Carol's is such a great price and I love that you can start with just one month, that way if you don't like it you haven't lost hardly any money. My sister got DS some Melissa and Doug lacing shapes for Christmas and he loves them. I'm thinking we'll need to add more from their collection of learning toys. My only concern with Carol's is that it won't have enough reading/devotional stuff but I figure I can always pull from SL's reading list.

I am feeling the same way! Carol's is such a great price and I love that you can start with just one month, that way if you don't like it you haven't lost hardly any money. My sister got DS some Melissa and Doug lacing shapes for Christmas and he loves them. I'm thinking we'll need to add more from their collection of learning toys. My only concern with Carol's is that it won't have enough reading/devotional stuff but I figure I can always pull from SL's reading list.

Melissa and Doug is so wonderful. I order from a coop twice a year that offers 50% off their prices! So I snag some great deals. I also get in on Kumon coops as well and get 40% off their prices! So I am able to snag alot of great things there too. The Dollar Tree had Playskool workbooks this past summer and I snagged each one they had (Colors, Shapes, Number, and Letters).

I'm going to build a book list for him and use what we have at home and from our local library. I also LOVE the book list from BFIAR and have a small amont of those books and ds loves them!

I think as a foundation for us to BEGIN Carol's is a great start! I can easily add on to it as we go along and see the need :) Plus paint, cutting, pasting, and crafts in general engage ALL of my kids! It's a great starting point :)

I was going to purchase 9 months in advance, but I really am considering purchasing just 1 month here soon and just trying it out to see how well he likes it. Then go from there.