Menu

s/o tell me about your bag, purse, or tote

Right now I am carrying a small vuitton bag -- I've been carrying it since the spring. Before that, I carried a gorgeous Tod's bag that I packed away into storage when we were getting stuff out of the house b4 it went on the market. I am seriously considering going to our storage unit and finding the Tod's.

I think I collect handbags -- I buy them not necessarily to carry them (although I do) but also if I see one and it is a good buy, I will purchase it -- either to give as a gift or to give to one of my daughters.

I love purses - I just don't like spending money on them.

My current one is a Nine West...nothing terribly fancy but it does the job.

I did splurge and buy 2 Coach purses for DH to give to me for Christmas. They were gorgeous. Truly they were. One black and one a beautiful purple. But after getting home and reflecting on their price (yikes!) I decided to return them and get DD her AG doll and her Maplea doll.

I mean really, what do I need a fancy bag for anyway???

I have 3 at the moment.

One is green, thanks to all you ladies here. I had a thread about bags well over a year ago. Got it from QVC. That's my favorite. Picture attached. ETA: Sorry - the bag doesn't really show in the picture. All one can see is the color. Sorry.

The other is wicker from Coldwater Creek on sale.

The last one is for mainly European travel and very practical. Pick-pocket preventive. Not that we go to Europe all that often. ;)

I like bags with a daring, bright color.

I like small bags. Since I'm 5' 2" - small bags look better on me. It's all about proportion. I tend to dislike big bags, except for travel or if one has small kids.

post-16151-13535085989537_thumb.jpg

The only "pop" on my person is typically a Vera Bradley bag. I never thought in a million years I'd be toting around some bright, floral fabric bag, but I'm hooked :001_smile:.

:iagree::iagree: I am looking to buy another one now (I buy a new one whenever my old one's straps get worn, usually once every 2-3 years). I buy them on ebay at a discount.

I love that the bag "stands up" on its own, is VERY light, has many pockets that are easily accessible, and can be washed in the machine. I also bring a Land's End tote with me when I go to work.

ETA: I admit I do have quite a few purses, but they all have a function. Really. :)

Edited by Halcyon

Yes, it is. It is a cream canvas on the inside so I can see my stuff. On the outside it is two inch strips of silk saris in beautiful colors. It is handmade from a women's cooperative in India which recycles old saris. I love it.

I'd love to find out where to buy one. It sounds wonderful and it supports women in India--a cause dear to me.

And, I love that the inside is cream colored. What is it with people designing purses lined in black??????? Talk about a black hole...I practically need a flashlight to find stuff.

I'm currently carrying a mossy green leather bag from JCPenny's. It's study, lined in black (blech) and has a few pockets.

I want a not too big purse because my back demands I stay light with it, but I do want enough room to carry my notebook. I can't (won't!!!) go anywhere without my notebook....and phone.

My 'wallet' is a tapestry zip purse from Belgium. Love it. In fact, my all time favorite purse was a triangle shaped, rusty colored, tapestry purse. Loved it because it was artsy and distinctive. After a couple of years I retired it to the closet because the tapestry was wearing on the edges. Truly a distinctive purse.

That's what I want--functional and distinctive. Interesting. Artsy. FUN!

For years I've carried a bag/tote that could fit books, drinks, snacks, etc. This year for Christmas I actually asked for a purse, and hubby bought me a Michael Kors handbag :blink: So much for our spending limit!

In any case, it's all shades of brown, and I own nothing brown--everything has always been black, gray, red. Therefore, I'm fairly certain hubby also intended me to get matching shoes.

He's practically forcing me.....

Edited by Georgiana D
for a homeschooling mom and writer, I really can't spell!

I have this bag in a different color scheme with a matching wallet. I LOVE it. Cute enough to get complements but extremely practical for my real life. And it has a pocket that is perfect for my IPad! :D

http://www.erehwon.com/store/product.asp?product=12863#

Edited to say this is the wallet I have. Both my bag and wallet are in this color.

http://www.zappos.com/haiku-by-sharon-eisenhauer-zip-wallet-amethyst-purple-daffodil

This is the one I'm carrying now. For years I've always bought medium sized, brown leather, practical handbags. This year I branched out and tried to find one to fit my "style." It is not a brand name and I bought it on sale with a coupon. :-)

I have this one in a different color. I got it at Target and it fits everything.

I like mine to be washable. The current one is green canvas, deep discount from Kohl's, about two years old. I purchased it when I was ready to stop carrying pullups around and was therefore ready for a smaller bag.

When I no longer feel the need for a washable purse, I will go back to my black Coach.

I always carried some cheap bag until it fell apart -- and apparently it used to drive my husband crazy. ;)

Now HE buys my purses. Has for... 10 years now? Or close to it. He gets me lovely bags. :) I usually use each one exclusively for a few years, then he gives me something new -- either for a birthday/Christmas or after a trip abroad, or maybe just because I say, "Hey! This one's falling apart!"...

The first one he gave me was a simple black Kate Spade bag. It was just big enough for a couple of diapers and my wallet and I *loved* it. :) ... I've had a bag he picked up in Argentina, another from France, some "designer", some not. My current one is a leather giraffe-print tote and while it's not something I would ever have picked out for myself, it's fabulous and probably my favorite of all the ones I've had.

It's funny, 'cause if I had to buy bags for myself, I could never justify spending a lot of money. I'd go right back to cheap bags on clearance. ;) But I do love the luxury of having a nice one. :)

That's great! My dh bought my last purse and I love it. I never would have bought it for myself. It's a black Gucci leather purse and it is just so nice.

I miss my favorite bag.

I still have it, actually. Tucked away in a closet for the future.

Once, I happily carried my bag. It's shiny black vinyl and holds a clock face (the entire side of the purse is a working clock). I love that bag. Strangers stopped to ask about my bag. Somebody once offered me rather a lot of money for it, but I declined, because I love it so.

Then came Flavor Flav. Then instead of admiring my super-cool bag, people asked if I knew about Mr. Flav. Was I a fan? Was I, in fact, a Flavor Flav Wannabe?

So away went my beautiful bag. Maybe someday I'll be able to use it again. Until then, I use my perfectly serviceable, utilitarian bag from REI. And pine for what cannot be.

I love my Baggallini City (though not in this color)--very practical & sporty!
Ohhhhh! I like that one!

I got a new bag for Christmas, it's just a cheapo one from Sears, but I am trying out the cross-body style to see if I like it. I think I might but just not this particular one...I don't know yet. I like that the one linked above has a separate outside pocket for phone and keys. The one I have now combines them in one outside pocket and I don't like it. I might scratch my phone!:nopity:

I carry a tiny purse so that the amount of stuff I carry never gets ridiculous. I can, however, carry my wallet, minimal girl necessities, and my Nook :)

Mine is $10 Bealle's outlet special made from recycled soda bottles.

I have a second "winter" purse that my MiL got for me in Guatemala a few years ago.

I get buying quality that will last, but my $10 purses last for MANY years, and I'm not a label person.

Edited by SailorMom

I carry a small raspberry leather Coach cross-body "swingpack". I've had it for almost a year, before that I had a black Coach "swingpack" that I had for 2 years. I like these little purses, I put it on when I'm getting ready to leave the house and don't take it off again until I get home (no chance of me losing my purse).

I do ALWAYS have another bag with me in the car that I take in if I'm going to be waiting somewhere (ballet, sports practice, dr., etc.). It is usually a tote bag with some homeschool books (for planning) and my Nook.

I have one fancy dancy Hermes bag my DH got me when he graduated from his residency. My DD puked in it (literally IN it) when she was a few months old and then I stopped carrying a purse after spending $300 to get the darn thing cleaned.

:001_huh::lol:

I miss my favorite bag.

I still have it, actually. Tucked away in a closet for the future.

Once, I happily carried my bag. It's shiny black vinyl and holds a clock face (the entire side of the purse is a working clock). I love that bag. Strangers stopped to ask about my bag. Somebody once offered me rather a lot of money for it, but I declined, because I love it so.

Then came Flavor Flav. Then instead of admiring my super-cool bag, people asked if I knew about Mr. Flav. Was I a fan? Was I, in fact, a Flavor Flav Wannabe?

So away went my beautiful bag. Maybe someday I'll be able to use it again. Until then, I use my perfectly serviceable, utilitarian bag from REI. And pine for what cannot be.

:lol:

I wear mostly black and grey. The only "pop" on my person is typically a Vera Bradley bag. I never thought in a million years I'd be toting around some bright, floral fabric bag, but I'm hooked :001_smile:.

I only buy when they're on sale (40% or more off) with free shipping, so it's quite inexpensive for good quality bags. They may not be the current year or season's pattern, but it doesn't matter to me. I buy the pattern that makes me happy. I have several patterns in several styles. Small bags, like the Hipster, for vacation and geocaching. Larger bags, like Villager, for days when I'm running kids to practices or meetings and want to bring something to read or work on.

There's my confession ;).

Yup, me too, but mine all come from ebay! I have never paid more than $30 including shipping for any of the 5 Vera Bradley's I have. Bought them used, but they all look brand new and I have a variety of sizes, shapes, colors for different needs.