Menu

s/o tell me about your bag, purse, or tote

I'm not going to be investing into a Hermes or Vuitton anytime soon, but I love listening to purse stories.

My current one is this canvas bag from amazon. It's a great size and I dressed it up with some pins.

I also just bought a similar Old Navy bag from a consignment store today. At first I thought I'd be wasting money (all of $4.50!), but I went to the library right after that and put my books in there. So it's already paying off.

I have a Sak artist bag I bought a few years ago. I carried it for a long time. It was the most I've ever spent on a purse.

So do you invest in bags? Collect? Change them out? Carry one for a long period? Do you chose bold colors?

I just got a bag similar to this, except mine is black and has chain handles. I got it at TJMaxx on clearance for $20!

I've carried a Miche bag for the past two years. I liked how structured it was and how I could change out the handles and covers, but it's not made as well as the price would dictate. My handles have worn out and the covers wear, too. I did get my dd one of the mini Miches for Christmas and she loves it, but she's not as hard on bags as I guess I am.

I do like designer bags, but I never pay designer prices. I normally get my purses at TJMaxx. I like the Liz Claiborne, Tommy Hilfiger and Kenneth Cole bags. And, I never spend more than $30 on a purse.

I stay with the same purse until it wears out. I like to carry lots of things with me, and "big purses that hang on your shoulder" seem to be out of style nowadays.

My current bag is actually a leather laptop messenger bag by Franklin Covey. Lots of pockets, and just the right size if I have a file folder or large envelope to carry. I've had it probably 4 years now and it's still going strong.

85334352_260.jpg

I find 'em at the thrift shop for a buck. I love to look for something interesting when I'm browsing there, and I usually come home with a very nice bag.

Lately I've been on a vintage tear, and I recently scored with a "made in the USA" bag, all leather. It's a beautiful tan leather Morris Moskowitz bag, in perfect condition. I love it.

At the present time though, I'm carrying around an old Capezio hobo bag I found for a dollar at the thrift, and I love it as well. I love the quality of older bags.

I always carried some cheap bag until it fell apart -- and apparently it used to drive my husband crazy. ;)

Now HE buys my purses. Has for... 10 years now? Or close to it. He gets me lovely bags. :) I usually use each one exclusively for a few years, then he gives me something new -- either for a birthday/Christmas or after a trip abroad, or maybe just because I say, "Hey! This one's falling apart!"...

The first one he gave me was a simple black Kate Spade bag. It was just big enough for a couple of diapers and my wallet and I *loved* it. :) ... I've had a bag he picked up in Argentina, another from France, some "designer", some not. My current one is a leather giraffe-print tote and while it's not something I would ever have picked out for myself, it's fabulous and probably my favorite of all the ones I've had.

It's funny, 'cause if I had to buy bags for myself, I could never justify spending a lot of money. I'd go right back to cheap bags on clearance. ;) But I do love the luxury of having a nice one. :)

I keep trying to buy cute or functional bags and keep giving them away. I wear pants with pockets - keys and card in one, cell phone in the other. I hate having to keep track of a bag so it won't get lost or stolen and I don't carry anything besides financial stuff anyway. I have a tiny purse with lots of card slots and I leave it in the center console in my car and just take what I need in my pocket into the store.

Do not have a single one!! I carry a wallet I guess you'd call it that just has my driver's license, insurance card, bank card, check book and homeschool discount cards for book stores! No money, no nothing..I am all about simplifying my life...20+ years ago I saved up and bought my first Coach bag (just graduated college and was excited to have a 'real' job)...loved that thing ...had it 3 weeks and it was stolen out of our car when we went to visit my mom and dad..I vowed then to never have another purse...I had so many 'things' in that purse that were a pain to cancel/close (checks/credit cards/etc.) I now buy most everything online and use bank card for groceries....simplified :)

I love hearing all of these!!

I have a GIANT bag made from pieces of saris. It will fit 3 winter coats, hats, and mittens plus my kindle and some snacks, but weighs almost nothing when empty. I keep my wallet and phone in my pocket. I only take my purse if I need storage space wile I'm out.

Now this sounds wonderful. Is it colorful too?

I wear mostly black and grey. The only "pop" on my person is typically a Vera Bradley bag. I never thought in a million years I'd be toting around some bright, floral fabric bag, but I'm hooked :001_smile:.

I only buy when they're on sale (40% or more off) with free shipping, so it's quite inexpensive for good quality bags. They may not be the current year or season's pattern, but it doesn't matter to me. I buy the pattern that makes me happy. I have several patterns in several styles. Small bags, like the Hipster, for vacation and geocaching. Larger bags, like Villager, for days when I'm running kids to practices or meetings and want to bring something to read or work on.

There's my confession ;).

I have a cheap one now from Wal-mart, but before that I went through a string of buying the plain black quilted "design your own" bags at Hobby Lobby, and simply using them until they wore out. My goal in a purse is for it to be fairly small, neutral in color, with a shoulder strap.

OTOH, my 7 yr old has a bright blue, highly bedazzled bag that she loves. She has FAR more accessories than I do :).

I like to change things up when I get bored.

Right now I'm using a soft, mustard-colored leather Liz Claiborne and a chocolate brown wallet. I have the red just like it with a red wallet. I also have a black/gray with a design on it that has a matching wallet, a plain, black leather, a brown leather tote looking purse that matches the current brown wallet, a brown leather with some compartments on front for cell phone, etc., and a couple of big, loose tote-type bags that I use when I travel so I can carry more on the plane.

I'm generally not one to keep much clutter, but I do hang on to all my purses (and shoes, but that's a whole 'nuther thread). ;-p

I have a basic black Coach small satchel style that is many years old but still looks great. It is the one I carry when I have to fit in socially :D

But I tend to prefer the offbeat look that few others are sporting (at least in my circle of socialization).

I am using this currently, I was using a bright vintage floral Fossil crossbody with adjustable strap (cotton and leather), I also use a black crochet Sak, and I have several other fun bags including a cute black plaid with red accents which was an "advertising" bag from Harrods Dept. store purchased when we were in London last spring. I simply cannot use just one bag - I'm all for diversity in the handbag department :)

I have a nylon bag from Trator Supply company. I don't think it is supposed to be a purse but it serves my purposes. It has two small pocket on the front that hold my cell phone and keys and one larger pocket on the back that hold my coin purse and the inside is like Hermione's bag in that I can hold just about everything but the kitchen sink in there. I can take my tablet, Kindle, wallet, checkbook, glass, comb, and small bag that has toiletries, bandaids, ponytail holders, clipper, etc. and then I have a package of baby wipes in the bottom and there is still room to stick 6 boxes of movie theater candy in there. Not exactly stylish but very functional. I am thinking about getting one of those healthy back sacks but I have to save for it.

I'm all about BIG purses! I only buy Marc Jacobs. It is pricey, but I buy a new one every 3-4 years. I love MJ's style and it's real leather so it's sturdy and holds everything: small diaper bag/pad, extra clothes for my youngest, water bottle, snacks, wallet! This week I'll be getting MJ's Classic Q Francesca in Bordeaux or black. (I so wish I can link it but still newbie status and slowly trying to find my way here.)

I have a bunch of Vera Bradley (back from before she was cool) and a few black, a thick leather purse (rafello? I believe?) and a Coach.

I don't buy them often, but I spend as much as I can because quality leather holds up for years. I don't even remember when I got those leather purses and I haven't bought one in years (I'm holding out for the Hermes Kelly;) )

I have a few bags I crocheted for the summer, and I love art bags. but the leather hold up against by beatings.

I have this one

I would never buy anything like the ones mentioned in the other thread. I'm not one that likes purses or shoes or really accessories of any kind. I have a bad back and need my purse to be small, heck if everything I wore had a pocket for my cellphone and check card I'd not carry a purse at all. When my kids were small and I needed a diaper bag I used a regular backpack and it also was my purse.

I have a lot of homemade purses I really like. More fun colors/style. I have several college like bags...simple, nothing fancy I still use all these years later. I recently made a point to buy a smaller trendier style bag from Kohls. Even my mom commented on it and it's fast becoming my favorite. It forced me to stop carrying everything, it's nicer than most my bags and goes well with anything. But my favorite bag I just bought at Disney was a Dooney & Bourke clutch with Disney stuff on it. Very unique! http://www.disneystore.com/sketch-collection-dooney-bourke-disney-sketch-wristlet-bag-by-dooney-bourke/mp/1270915/1004202/

I tend to buy one purse for about $20 and carry it until a strap breaks. But I've broken that trend lately because of finding two consignment shops that carry designer brands. I got a small Prada purse for $7 that I haven't used yet, and a couple of Etienne Aigner purses that were $10 - $15. I also have a dark red (not bright red) purse that I got at Kohl's for around $35. I usually pick really boring neutrals, but I've gotten a ton of compliments on the red purse. I am trying to branch out into more interesting styles and colors in my clothes, too. :-)

Since DS was born seven years ago, I've used a leather fanny-pack for day-to-day use - it's small, but big enough for my wallet, pen and I've realized too a rolled up diaper and small ziploc bag with a few wipes if needed. I love my hands are free and I don't have to worry about remembering it if we go somewhere and I'm gathering up everything to leave - it's just on me. For things DH and I go to, I have an assortment of bags I'll change out to for the evening, but on a daily basis, just use the fanny-pack since it works and for me is a no-brainer.

I have this one in my shopping cart: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056CCOLK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It will sit there for a day or two while I go back and look a few more times.

My current purse is a little no name thing my brother gave me 8 years ago for Christmas. He got it when he backpacked through Europe and it was adorable in its heyday. I should have pitched it a couple of years ago but it was from my brother...

I have one fancy dancy Hermes bag my DH got me when he graduated from his residency. My DD puked in it (literally IN it) when she was a few months old and then I stopped carrying a purse after spending $300 to get the darn thing cleaned. For many years, I had two kids in cloth diapers so my "purse" was a silk diaper bag I loved. But it was still a diaper bag. :001_smile:

I have a bunch of bags in different sizes & colors (Depending on my needs & the season) I prefer a larger bag to hold all my junk (Always bend your knees when lifting...:lol:)

Currently, I have been carrying this one:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/handbagsaccessories/shop_bybrand/sienna_ricchi/sienna_ricchi1/PRD~922526/Sienna+Ricchi+Modena+Shopper.jsp

I also have another one similar to this in a teal color that I carried during the summer.

I just bought one from Target so that I can carry around various gadgets (Kindle, iPad, Bloggie, phone). I need one with a zipper for the main compartment and an exterior side pocket with a zipper to carry keys. Normally, I like bags that go over both shoulders but I haven't found one that is big enough without looking like a student. So the one I found at Target was $35, but I do like that Tyler Rodin bag that pp posted.

I love hearing all of these!!

Now this sounds wonderful. Is it colorful too?

Yes, it is. It is a cream canvas on the inside so I can see my stuff. On the outside it is two inch strips of silk saris in beautiful colors. It is handmade from a women's cooperative in India which recycles old saris. I love it.

Well, I can't snag a picture of it, but DH's surprise to me for Christmas was a bright red Coach Poppy pushlock satchel. :svengo: So I'm carrying that now. Previously I was rotating between 3 LV Neverfulls, in the regular logo, Damier, and Damier Azur. I'm definitely an incurable bag snob. :001_huh:

:drool::001_tt1:

I stay with the same purse until it wears out. I like to carry lots of things with me, and "big purses that hang on your shoulder" seem to be out of style nowadays.

My current bag is actually a leather laptop messenger bag by Franklin Covey. Lots of pockets, and just the right size if I have a file folder or large envelope to carry. I've had it probably 4 years now and it's still going strong.

85334352_260.jpg

*LOVE* this bag...

I don't do "designer" purses -- I'm more of a functional/down-to-earth person. (For a long time I carried a zip-top LL Bean tote w/ leather handles. Then after child #3, I carried a LL Bean backpack which doubled as a diaper bag.)

I'm a Coach girl mainly. :001_smile: I have quite a collection of purses--most of them are Coach, but I have a couple Dooney & Bourke's too. I switch them out fairly often (match them to my outfit).

DH bought me a gorgeous wine-colored patent leather Coach for my b-day in November. I loved using it this Christmas season!

He bought me a new navy patent leather Coach for Christmas. I haven't given that one a test drive yet. ;)

I have a green Fossil Carson Flap Organizer purse that I carry when I have too much to stuff in my pockets. http://www.stylefind.com/Fossil/-/2-ZAPP-7869219529/Carson-Flap-Organizer-Olive

I also have a Coach Classic leather stewardess bag, British tan, that my sister gave me one year. It is heavy.

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/-handbags_feature_coachorig-10551-10051-5000000000000052055-en?t1Id=62&t2Id=5000000000000052055&tier=2&LOC=LN

I threw away my summer purse, so I need to get a new one. I do not like carrying purses. When I do, I like them to look good with my car, my coat, and my dog. I guess that is kind of strange, to coordinate those three things.

Edited by RoughCollie

I love my Baggallini City (though not in this color)--very practical & sporty!

You know I have a bag in that apple color. I'm surprised how long it has been in style. I almost got rid of it a couple of times, but that apple color keeps popping up. It's almost a classic by now, I think.

Elegant, your "eventually" bag is GORGEOUS!!!!

Thanks. :D

I love the tag! I have a gazillion tabs open, so many new ideas.

This is my I'llhttp://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3452195-get-it-eventually bag. I have a messenger bag from the same company and it really will last forever.

I may just buy this smaller bag, so I can use it with other purses.

I had one almost exactly like your eventually bag, except it was black and made by Coach. It really did last forever--I used it every day for five years when I was working. I finally got tired of it, but it was still going strong.

My current bag is also likely to last longer than I want to carry it. It's a Keen messenger bag, and big enough to fit my dslr camera with a zoom lens when I want to go out and take pictures. It's black and utilitarian, not pretty at all, but it's built like iron and I got it on clearance from Shoebacca for just $20. :001_smile:

I have a kidney-shaped bag made of blue tapestry fabric (black, white, tan flowers and arabesques embroidered into the fabric). It's meant to be worn over the shoulder like a messenger bag. I bought it at an enormous craft fair. The guy imports the fabric from France and makes them with his wife over the winter. My mom owns a red wallet one on a cord.

I have found that the larger the handbag, the more junk I carry. So I tend to go for small to medium sized bags.

Over the last couple of decades I have purchased two Coach city bags and one Janice style Coach bag. I swap between using these and a multi-pocket Eagle Creek bag which keeps me organized when I travel.

My wallet and change purse are Coach products--I'm obviously a fan.

A couple of years ago I bought a Barbour tartan handbag to jazz up my life a bit.