Menu

Need to go wheat/gluten free. Cookbook rec's?

Dd's biopsy results came back, and she was diagnosed w/ confluent and reticulated papillomatosis. I have long suspected a wheat allergy w/ her, and from everything I've read, others w/ this condition say it flares up when they eat wheat/gluten.

So, do any of you have a favorite cookbook? I have a gift card to Hastings, and would love to run out and spend it on a cookbook.

What about your favorite websites, a list of your favorite "safe" alternatives? Anything would be helpful. I have been looking at this website: http://www.celiac.com for ideas, but the lists are long!

We may also have to cut out eggs. Are the egg substitutes safe?

Thanks!

The Spunky Coconut has a new book out. I really like her recipes. Her blog is great too.

For websites: Gluten Free Mommy, Gluten Free Girl, Ginger Lemon Girl, Love Veggie and Yoga (not all her recipes are gf), Elana's Pantry.

As far as a list of safe foods, I find them to be overwhelming. Instead, go for things you know don't have gluten and add on from there. So, for dinner, start with your protein. Either meat or beans, for instance. Then add a fresh vegetable and a grain. Rice, quinoa, gf pasta.

Good luck with the diet change! My dd has Celiacs and we've been gf for 4 years. A diet change like this can be hard to deal with at first, but then it becomes so easy you don't even think about it. PM me if you need any help or support!

http://www.wellnessmama.com has some good grain-free recipes.

I also got this cookbook, which has some interesting, but possibly not kid-friendly recipes, unless your daughter is an adventurous eater.

My sister also gave me this Christmas cookie cookbook and I made the spritz and sugar cookie recipes this year. I didn't like the amaranth in the sugar cookies, so I made a batch with chick pea flour instead and it came out great.

My dd has cd so we've been gf for two years now. I highly recommend "Baking Classics" by Annalise Roberts. Once you get the hang of it, gf baking/cooking isn't hard.

I have two of Annalise Roberts' books and use them all the time. She has a bread machine book--dh loves the bread.

If you plan to bake, be prepared to look for gluten-free flours in quantity. It is WAY too expensive to buy small bags at the grocery.

My DD and I are both celiac, as is my mom.

These are my favorite web sites:

http://glutenfreegirl.com/

http://www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com/

http://Www.health-bent.com

My favorite cookbooks have been the Paleo ones, like this one

http://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Comfort-Foods-Homestyle-Gluten-Free/dp/1936608936/ref=pd_sim_b_5

Good luck!

Carol Fenster, Annalise Roberts. Bette Hagman, Roben Ryberg, Connie Sarros, are Washburn and Butt are my favorite cookbook authors. Danna Korn writes good overview books like Kids with Celiac and Gluten Free for Dummies.

My daughter has celiac and was diagnosed 8 years ago. My advice would be to start by using some of the premade mixes (Betty Crocker, Gluten Free Pantry, 123 Gluten Free, Really Great Food, Kinnikinnick, etc.) before you try to make everything from scratch. Gluten free cooking is a bit like chemistry at the beginning, but it really does get easier. Good luck, Tania

Thank you so much for the rec's! Keep them coming! Lynne- I could hug you for the Christmas cookie cookbook! Christmas w/out cookies sounded so depressing! As for recipes, my dc are not picky, they have always eaten "adult" food, and she's 13, so I don't have to worry about that aspect. She is a baker though, and is famous for her cakes/cookies. At least w/ family! :D

Where do you find gluten-free flours in larger quantities? All I've found are the small bags.

It helps if you know ethnic cuisines and have access to ethnic groceries. For bean flour I buy Gram Flour at Indian groceries. The gram flour is chick pea flour. Rice flours (white and sweet) can be found in Chinese groceries. I've gotten potato starch in places that cater to Korean cuisine.

I have not found a good local source for brown rice flour, but I have had enerG ship me 50 pound bags. I don't do enough baking to justify that anymore.

I think it's much easier to adjust if you do mostly naturally gluten free foods at first. Gluten free baked goods are different than gluten. The adjustment is easier, I think, if you have a little time to forget the taste and mouth feel of gluten before trying gluten free baked stuff. Tinkyada rice pasta is great though and a good off the bat substitute.

No cookbook thoughts... but here's our favorite Crepe Recipe

Bergeron Yummy Crepes

14 eggs, 3 cups kefir or runny yogurt... (or, as we do... yogurt with a little added milk

1 tsp sea salt

1 TBS molasses

Process Above ingredients in blender till smooth.... Then stir in...

1.5 cups arrowroot powder

1.5 cups oat flour. (Get Oat groats from coop, healthfood stores, or some places where they have bulk. Looks like wheat berry.... and you need to "grind" like wheat. Perhaps you know a spot to do this? I hear that you can use a coffee grinder, but I've never tried this.)

Stir until lumps are dissolved. If the batter is too runny, add arrowroot pwd in .5 cup increments until the batter is about the texture of heavy cream. Spoon by .25 cupfulls into a well-buttered crepe pan. Cook around 30 secs per side.

You can half the recipe... or freeze left overs. I like to fold in quarters... and put a few in each ziplock.. (after cooled)

I take them out... thaw a bit... and put in my iron skillet with a bit of butter... and when warmed... spoon in apricot fruit spread... Yum!

Cooking For Isaiah is nice, if a bit involved for everyday. I still use You Won't Believe it's Gluten Free (!) for several things.

I used to buy 25lb bags of organic brown rice flour from our local health food store, but I've found it's cheaper to buy 2lb bags (Arrowhead Mills) from Amazon. I buy 6 at a time and probably use just over 1/wk, for the 5 of us who are GF.

Definitely explore the blogs - I turn to them before the cookbooks now.

Even using GF flours, my body doesn't tolerate baked goods much. Or carbs at all, really. All the best finding what works for your dd!

I think it's much easier to adjust if you do mostly naturally gluten free foods at first. Gluten free baked goods are different than gluten. The adjustment is easier, I think, if you have a little time to forget the taste and mouth feel of gluten before trying gluten free baked stuff. Tinkyada rice pasta is great though and a good off the bat substitute.

I agree (except I think Tinkyada is absolute drek.)

I went through all the cookbooks I could find. I've done better with blogs, frankly, and working out my own versions of recipes.

I think it's much easier to adjust if you do mostly naturally gluten free foods at first. Gluten free baked goods are different than gluten. The adjustment is easier, I think, if you have a little time to forget the taste and mouth feel of gluten before trying gluten free baked stuff.

I went through all the cookbooks I could find. I've done better with blogs, frankly, and working out my own versions of recipes.

The crockpot 365 website is GF :-)

:iagree:

The crockpot 365 website is GF :-)

:iagree: