Menu

Chicken Pox relief?

My poor ds who started with just one pock has now got full blown chicken-pox. The poor kid is miserable and has had a fever for the last few days as well. His throat is really sore and when we looked we saw a pock in the back of his throat. He is barely talking his throat is so sore.

What can I do to help him feel better? Is there any point to taking him in to the doctor?

My poor ds who started with just one pock has now got full blown chicken-pox. The poor kid is miserable and has had a fever for the last few days as well. His throat is really sore and when we looked we saw a pock in the back of his throat. He is barely talking his throat is so sore.

What can I do to help him feel better? Is there any point to taking him in to the doctor?

They won't let you in the office with a kid that has chicken pox.

We bought a case of Sierra Mist and kept it chilled for dd to drink as she wanted. She had them in her throat too.

Keep him hydrated with cold beverage.

We also had throat lozenges that helped at night time. The kind that kind of numb the sore throat worked the best.

Don't worry about solid nutrition right now.

:grouphug::grouphug: This too shall pass.

The doctor will probably tell you to stay home so you don't expose others. There's nothing they can do anyway.

I'm not sure what you can do for the throat, but for the external pox, swabbing them with a mix of TTO & Lavendar EO really helps - it keeps them from getting infected (which can lead to scarring) and helps relieve the itching. An adult friend of mine who contracted varicella found that a super hot shower, while uncomfortable at the time, relieved the itching for quite awhile afterward. I missed how old your child is, but if he's older that might be an option you could suggest.

I'd also be giving lots of elderberry extract (like Sambucol) and a really healthy diet with easy to digest foods. You want to ease the burden on the liver as it clears the infection (which is why you should absolutely NOT give any Tylenol).

HTH!

I would call the doctor's office to ask if they have further suggestions. When I had chicken pox they prescribed something for me that lessened the duration and severity, but I'm not sure if it's given to children. They probably won't want to see him, unless they have a "quarantine" entrance and exam room.

Call the doctor's office and check.

Benadryl

Calamine lotion

Cool showers & baths, some people add oatmeal. :confused:

Poor, poor kid.

My kids found calendula gel worked better for the itching than calamine (and less messy too!)

I gave herbal antivirals, as well as homeopathic rhus tox and sulphur, along with immune support (echinacea/elderberry).

And the oatmeal baths - someone suggested adding a bit of vinegar to disinfect to pox. Smelled awful! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, and to avoid any secondary infection (arguably the most dangerous part of the pox), any pock that was over large/itchy or that got scratched too much I covered with a spot bandaid with a bit of antibiotic ointment underneath.

I had chicken pox when I was 24 (so it was really, really bad) and the sore throat was awful. My friend brought me some cranberry lemonade and it actually made it much better. I know it sounds as though it would make it worse, but really, just the opposite.

There is an antiviral treatment that helps shorten the duration but I think you need to start it within 24 hours.

When I was a kid, I went to the doctor. I did not wait in the waiting room. My kids' doctor has a separate entrance for contagious cases; it does not go through the waiting room. You have to be buzzed in.

You might want to have doctor confirmation on your child's record to "prove" he had it.

I saw recently on the news that sunlight helps.

We bought a case of Sierra Mist and kept it chilled for dd to drink as she wanted. She had them in her throat too.

Keep him hydrated with cold beverage.

We also had throat lozenges that helped at night time. The kind that kind of numb the sore throat worked the best.

Don't worry about solid nutrition right now.

:grouphug::grouphug: This too shall pass.

They let my kid into the doctor's office when he had CP, and I certainly told them on the phone what the symptoms were. I had never had it so I had no idea what it was.

How else are the uninformed supposed to figure out what it was (this was pre-internet, a few years ago.

I would call the doctor's office to ask if they have further suggestions. When I had chicken pox they prescribed something for me that lessened the duration and severity, but I'm not sure if it's given to children. They probably won't want to see him, unless they have a "quarantine" entrance and exam room.

Yes, an antiviral can be prescribed but only within the first 48 hours, if I recall correctly.

We went to the doctor (twice actually, they told us to go in) when my five year old had chicken pox in October. They did not do anything. I was worried that they were in his eyes,but they were just all clustered around his eyelashes.

I won't lie to you, it was awful for 3-4 days. He was totally miserable. I would have probably taken him to the emergency room in the middle of the night one night when he was crying out in his sleep all night, he was delirious. But DH had had them2 weeks before my son (that's actually how my son got them-from my husband!) and he told me there was one night he was so miserable he actually cried. So based on that I waited, and I'm glad I did beacause there is nothing they can do.

They did give my son antihistamines that helped, and didn't make him as loopy as the benedryl did.

I really feel for you! I know how awful it is to watch your baby suffer with this! It will pass!

Okay, EKS wins the "oldest case." I came close though. I had them at 23 and (drum roll please) came down with them on my honeymoon (last day -- so we still had fun). Ugh, no fun. I felt horrible and looked worse. I was covered and dealt with fever and feeling sick. Ugh. The doctor said I wasn't to be left alone because it can get to your brain and make you act odd, which is a reason for an ER visit. I did okay though but had a miserable week.

Oatmeal baths are calming.

Let him dab on calamine lotion. I was amazed at how the itch moved from one sore to the next. First this one itched terribly and about when it calmed down, one a few inches away was itching horribly. It's maddening.

If you give oral Benadryl, don't get a lotion that also contains Benadryl. Caladryl has both calamine and Benadryl in it making it possible to get too much Benadryl. So, if you give Benadryl, don't use Caladryl, just use ordinary calamine.

If he doesn't want to eat, that's okay. Make sure he's drinking. Just spoil him.

This too shall pass. Give pain killers (Tylenol and Motrin) if needed.

When my oldest dd had chicken pox, they let her come in. I told her my suspicions but wasn't sure (and she had been vaccinated). Both my older dd's got chickenpox as little kids despite vaccinations.

Realize he's contagious until scabbed over. No sharing of wash cloths or towels unless you don't care about the others in the house getting it. Let him sleep alone. Put down a sheet over the sofa if he's hanging out on it watching videos and has skin touching the fabric (or simply have him wear long pajamas and socks and keep his head on a pillowcase -- however I didn't like wearing long things when I had it).