Menu

{YIKES} Our house isn't even 'officially' on the market yet, and

our new agent (we have known her for years - we bought 'this' house from her) just called and told me that her Craigslist ad has brought two legitimate inquiries for showings - tomorrow and Saturday.

I have always been of the mindset that if someone is looking at Real Estate over the Christmas holidays, they are serious. Hope that is true.

I am laughing to myself -- at least the smell of baking cookies won't seem odd at Christmastime -- I am sure it did when the temps were 100 degrees + this past summer when we were baking cookies everytime someone came to see the house.

I have to go and use my uber-critical eye in every room.......I won't be back for a few hours.

Positive thoughts please -- kids and I saw a house we loved last week in the town where we would love to move.

TIA

I have always been of the mindset that if someone is looking at Real Estate over the Christmas holidays, they are serious. Hope that is true.

I think you're right. Some friends of ours put their house up right before Thanksgiving and it sold within 2 weeks. They were a bit surprised, expecting it would likely take a couple months at least. I think holiday house searchers aren't in that group of people looking to move over the summer so let's check out every house in our price range. You've probably got people who have really been looking and have narrowed their search to certain neighborhoods in their price range. Hope it all goes well for you!

Bake some snickerdoodles - the cinnamon is an added bonus! :)

Hoping you end up with a biding war between the two! :lol:

Okay' date=' we'll settle for a sale. :)[/quote'] So funny -- first words out of my dh's mouth: bidding war. First thought in my head --Oh good - a sale, we can buy the house we saw and loved last week. 'snickerdoodles' -- have never made them but I have lots of cinnamon. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpiPaL-pbK4JOATs0BJjPseh85vvSKV2JFDujBVK3KKjgccPG-Ig

I think you're right. Some friends of ours put their house up right before Thanksgiving and it sold within 2 weeks. They were a bit surprised, expecting it would likely take a couple months at least. I think holiday house searchers aren't in that group of people looking to move over the summer so let's check out every house in our price range. You've probably got people who have really been looking and have narrowed their search to certain neighborhoods in their price range. Hope it all goes well for you!

really hope this works out for you!

Cindy

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! :iagree::iagree::iagree:

I think that inventory must be particularly low - especially at this time of year, so I am encouraged that this might work out.

I was one of those serious December buyers. Deeply serious.

Now I'm an agent. Anyone looking right now WANTS to buy a house NOW. lol

One of my buyers just made an offer on a place he likes...wish him luck and we will be wishing you fantastic luck as well!

I was one of those serious December buyers. Deeply serious.

Now I'm an agent. Anyone looking right now WANTS to buy a house NOW. lol

One of my buyers just made an offer on a place he likes...wish him luck and we will be wishing you fantastic luck as well!

Thank you for your encouragement -- and :iagree:. The kids are hyper-skeptical -- i guess they are still suffering from burn out from our 4 month stint on the market in the summer - it was brutal!

I told them that in my experience, anyone looking at this time of year is serious - b/c folks have more important things to be doing with their time. Thank you for confirming that.

I know that inventory is way done -- hopefully, this will have a positive outcome.

So funny -- first words out of my dh's mouth: bidding war. First thought in my head --Oh good - a sale, we can buy the house we saw and loved last week. 'snickerdoodles' -- have never made them but I have lots of cinnamon. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpiPaL-pbK4JOATs0BJjPseh85vvSKV2JFDujBVK3KKjgccPG-Ig

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! :iagree::iagree::iagree:

I think that inventory must be particularly low - especially at this time of year, so I am encouraged that this might work out.

9,355 posts ... and you don't know a recipe for Snickerdoodles?!!!! :lol:

Okay, so it's here that I learned that name for them. It's sugar cookies rolled or dusted with cinnamon sugar. :)

Non-serious house hunters do their window shopping in mild weather. The ones now are serious. :)

Guest submarines

Make more cookies...brew fresh coffee...These aromas make the house smell like home to the buyers. (I read it some place, and used it when we sold our house :D).

Good luck!

9' date='355 posts ... and you don't know a recipe for Snickerdoodles?!!!! :lol: So funny -- dd12 was telling me what they were.

Okay, so it's here that I learned that name for them. It's sugar cookies rolled or dusted with cinnamon sugar. :)

Non-serious house hunters do their window shopping in mild weather. The ones now are serious. :)

That has been my experience as well. -- Fingers crossed --

Good luck, Mariann -- It would be quite the Christmas gift to find a serious buyer!!! And you may have already found the right house to buy, too! :001_smile:

One thing though (because I always have to see the negative side of things :glare:) -- Make sure all of your Christmas gifts are out of sight. It would be very easy for a few things to "disappear" during a showing (agent is with wife in the kitchen while husband cases the house) and you wouldn't know until you were putting the packages under the tree so you wouldn't even know until it was too late.

I hate to sound paranoid, but I don't even want to tell you how much stuff was stolen during house viewings when my ds was selling a home years ago (and this was in a very good neighborhood, so he never saw it coming.) It can be worse around Christmas because people have things like new jewelry and electronics just sitting in the house, brand new in their boxes.

I'm sure the people coming to see your house are perfectly legitimate, but it never hurts to be cautious, especially this time of year.

Eek. I sound like such a scrooge.

Make more cookies...brew fresh coffee...These aromas make the house smell like home to the buyers. (I read it some place, and used it when we sold our house :D). :thumbup:

Good luck!

That sounds good:001_smile:.
:D

I hope everything works out as you wish, Mariann! You've worked SO hard on your house, and I know how much you're ready to leave it behind.

I think the Christmas decorations are going to help make these people picture the house as their HOME. :thumbup:

Denise -- Thanks --I hope so -- I am thinking that I will have some 'forgiveness' because of the time of year, which also makes me think that if we can look fabulous two days before Christmas, that can only work to our advantage. PS -- PM me your snail mail addy again please -- I accidentally deleted it -- I was addressing cards last night and it was gone. THX :grouphug:

Good luck, Mariann -- It would be quite the Christmas gift to find a serious buyer!!! And you may have already found the right house to buy, too! :001_smile:

One thing though (because I always have to see the negative side of things :glare:) -- Make sure all of your Christmas gifts are out of sight. It would be very easy for a few things to "disappear" during a showing (agent is with wife in the kitchen while husband cases the house) and you wouldn't know until you were putting the packages under the tree so you wouldn't even know until it was too late.

I hate to sound paranoid, but I don't even want to tell you how much stuff was stolen during house viewings when my ds was selling a home years ago (and this was in a very good neighborhood, so he never saw it coming.) It can be worse around Christmas because people have things like new jewelry and electronics just sitting in the house, brand new in their boxes.

I'm sure the people coming to see your house are perfectly legitimate, but it never hurts to be cautious, especially this time of year.

Eek. I sound like such a scrooge.

No, you don't. In the back of my mind was my plan to remove all the gifts from under the tree and have them 'someplace' -- out of sight. I am SO paranoid -- I totally agree with you -- I intend to remove everything. And, I think it's great that you brought it up -- it bears repeating.:iagree:

Very good idea; don't depend on the agent to keep an eye on them.

We fell in love with a house that was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Our agent sat in the kitchen sipping coco, while we found a very tired college student sleeping upstairs:001_huh:. (She had gone through the home before we arrived and somehow missed the young man.)

No, you don't. In the back of my mind was my plan to remove all the gifts from under the tree and have them 'someplace' -- out of sight. I am SO paranoid -- I totally agree with you -- I intend to remove everything. And, I think it's great that you brought it up -- it bears repeating.:iagree:

Oh wow!! I sure hope you sell your house quickly!
Thank you!

Very good idea; don't depend on the agent to keep an eye on them.

We fell in love with a house that was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Our agent sat in the kitchen sipping coco, while we found a very tired college student sleeping upstairs:001_huh:. (She had gone through the home before we arrived and somehow missed the young man.)

OOPS! I would have jumped out of my skin!

I keep thinking of the house in Home Alone 1 and how beautifully it was decorated and then embellished for Christmas. My house is not going to look that good!

I KNOW the recession is over. I AM Main Street and I can tell you right now that my real estate company is busier than ever. We had sort of planned on a couple of slow weeks during Christmas but it is just not happening! We are scheduling showings all day tomorrow. Cannot even express how excited we are here in the office about the business! I hope your house sells quickly and smoothly! I think we're all in for a great year!:D

Back in my pro-photo days when folks were picking up lots of orders before Christmas, I hid our Christmas gifts in closets, bags, and the attic. We gathered all the cute teddy bears we had, put plaid ribbons around their necks, and put them under the tree. It was always CUTE!

I'm having a bit of surgery tomorrow and may MISS the outcome of these showings. If you get an offer, I want to hear. (Like you have NOTHING else to do this week...:lol:)

Paranoia is more fun when you do it together. :D

Mariann, the exact same thing is happening to us. We had an older couple look at our house 2 days ago and they want to come back with all their adult children and family to look at it again the day after Christmas as they will all be visiting for the holiday. Our house would be a perfect family second home.

We also have a house we want to move to so the best of luck to both us and you for holiday sales... Cyper party if that happens.

also my dh says the same thing "maybe we will have a bidding war" I say "lets just get ONE offer that we can accept and sell this house"

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

I KNOW the recession is over. I AM Main Street and I can tell you right now that my real estate company is busier than ever. We had sort of planned on a couple of slow weeks during Christmas but it is just not happening! We are scheduling showings all day tomorrow. Cannot even express how excited we are here in the office about the business! I hope your house sells quickly and smoothly! I think we're all in for a great year!:D

I am watching properties in the town where we will move go under contract - many properties in the past week or two - so I definitely agree with you. i think that folks are trying to buy b4 the spring market prices are set.

Back in my pro-photo days when folks were picking up lots of orders before Christmas, I hid our Christmas gifts in closets, bags, and the attic. We gathered all the cute teddy bears we had, put plaid ribbons around their necks, and put them under the tree. It was always CUTE!

I'm having a bit of surgery tomorrow and may MISS the outcome of these showings. If you get an offer, I want to hear. (Like you have NOTHING else to do this week...:lol:)

I LOVe it -- I am sending the girls to gather up the stuffed toys now -- what a great idea. Prayers for your surgery -- I will definitely let you all know what happened.:grouphug:

Paranoia is more fun when you do it together. :D
You are a wise, wise woman!

good luck. positive vibes coming your way, and may you have a very merry christmas.
Thank you

Mariann, the exact same thing is happening to us. We had an older couple look at our house 2 days ago and they want to come back with all their adult children and family to look at it again the day after Christmas as they will all be visiting for the holiday. Our house would be a perfect family second home.

We also have a house we want to move to so the best of luck to both us and you for holiday sales... Cyper party if that happens.

also my dh says the same thing "maybe we will have a bidding war" I say "lets just get ONE offer that we can accept and sell this house"

Prayers and thoughts for success on your end!

I hope one of the visitors this week will be a buyer. Praying for you all. :grouphug:
Thank you so much!

just seeing this and praying. How cool to have potential buyers so quickly! I'm jealous.
Thank you for your prayers -- we sat on the market with nary a nibble from May through October -- we had a realtor who could not generate ANY enthusiasm for any property that he himself wouldn't consider buying -- big mistake on our part.

:grouphug::grouphug: and prayers coming at you.

I sold my first house the week between Christmas and New Years during a sleet storm. They were determined to see it.

Determination is a good thing! Thanks and hugs.