Menu

When do you expect cursive writing across all subjects?

smilesonly

10yo ds just finished his first penmanship book and i'm wondering if it's too early to expect him to apply it to other subjects.

i asked him to try this today and he resisted.;)

fyi-he has one more Pentime book to finish before he can learn keyboarding-at which point he will be doing most of his work on the computer.

thoughts?

thx!

My son is almost finished with GDI Book D, and I need to check to see if he's learned all the joins yet. I think the last ones are covered in Book E, so we'll be holding off until he's done with that one. Since your son is older, I would probably start asking for every other written assignment to be completed in cursive, provided he's learned all he needs to for cursive. Eventually I'd up it to 2/3, and so on. Or I'd assign by subject, if that seemed more appropriate.

When the child can make all letters (all lowercase, most uppercase) without thinking about how to form them, you should ramp up which subjects/assignments you expect to be completed in cursive.

I still allow rough drafts to be in print. Any final drafts and most of the work in their workbooks, I expect in cursive. If the material is difficult (or the workbook spaces are really small), I'm more lenient on allowing the written answers to be in print. Like a previous poster, my second child started with cursive. It was easier for her at a younger age than for my oldest to transition to cursive.

IMO, it is a different age for different kids.

I haven't required it for all subjects. My oldest learned his cursive last year (3rd grade). I occasionally request a paragraph or copywork in cursive (at least once a week) to be sure he is not losing the skill, but after that I let him choose. He doesn't usually choose cursive, although occasionally will surprise me.

My 7yo learned cursive last year & we are polishing as a separate stand-alone subject this year. Next year I plan to have him pick a subject or two to be done entirely in cursive. The following year I will probably make it optional - use as desired, print or cursive fine (unless I decide to go with 1 more year of a couple subjects in it - depends on how fluent he is). I use a strange mixed version of cursive/print myself, but I have never seen my dh write in cursive (except his name) - so I just want the kids to be ABLE to do it if they choose. I figure 2-3 years of using it consistently and getting fluency will be enough for them to decide what they prefer.

I would expect a 9yo to be doing everything in cursive.

:iagree:That is my goal and we are almost there:D We are doing some keyboard lessons since I want him to be able to type fluently but I also want him to be fluent in cursive. My plan is to have him continue to write as much as possible in cursive throughout his school years. I think it is a critical skill for brain development IMHO and for learning in general.

It looks like there are varying opinions on this. The various opinions will be based on each parent's experience and each child's ability.

I don't recall learning print but I must have. I do recall doing extensive cursive copywork. I was definitely doing everything in cursive in third grade. I distinctly remember seeing a classmate's beautiful cursive in fourth grade and feeling ashamed of mine. So I set out to improve my own that year. We were all doing cursive-only for all subjects in school then.

We were allowed to use only pencils upto fourth grade. Then, from fifth to tenth grade, we were allowed to use only fountain pens for writing.

So anyway, I treasure cursive and my dd does Italic cursive copywork. She only writes 2 sentences a day at present but I hope this will increase as her muscle strength improves.

Never. I personally hate writting in cursive. I write in a combo of print/cursive, bit mostly print. My DS 6 is learning cursive, but mainly to sign his name. I will teach him keyboarding in the next year or so. I think proper typing tech and clear printing are more important than cursive. We are learning it, but not pushing it.

My answer would be never as well. My requirement will be neat, legible handwriting. Most people I know develop their own style of print/cursive combination, myself included. Once we are done with handwriting instruction, my children will be allowed to write in whatever method is quickest and most legible for them.

I don't know that I will ever require everything to be written in cursive. I definitely believe in teaching cursive, though. DD10 can write cursive but doesn't do so smoothly and quickly. She is doing Daily Cursive for practice but I don't require cursive on her other assignments (though she knows I like it and occasionally surprises me). Next year I may start requiring that her science and history summaries be done in cursive but that's probably as far as I'll go with it. After that, she can choose.

Writing is definitely harder for DS8. Last year in 2nd grade, he learned all the letters and started joining them. This year, he is practicing cursive by writing his spelling words in cursive twice per week. Next year, he'll probably do Daily Cursive, too. Beyond that, we'll just have to see.

My dd is writing everything in cursive and she is a 4th grader who just turned 10. She just completed ARFH T this year (I am mean and made her do every.single.page in it :lol:) She started it the summer before 3rd grade. She is not in book D and once she started that she automatically started writing everything in cursive. She does VERY well with cursive. It is ALOT neater than her printing :001_huh:

I think it is a critical skill for brain development IMHO and for learning in general.

This is interesting to me. Why? I've never seen a rationale for preferring cursive over print - or for preferring print over cursive, other than ease of use and legibility. I, personally, think that it's an important skill for looking at original source documents. You don't have to go very far back at all and it's all cursive. But beyond that, I don't know what difference it makes... or why you couldn't print your signature. I've never heard of brain development benefits - what's the story?

I just issued the edict, effective this coming semester. My youngest (7 in February) is still learning, so I may not make it ALL cursive yet for her, but for the 11, 12, 13 year olds (11 year old has had about two or three handwriting workbooks in cursive), it's cursive only. They boys' cursive is just so much more legible than their print. My older two were required to do cursive-only by the end of third grade when they were in ps, however, I think that this was specific to the GT magnet program that they were in.

Edited by higginszoo

By the end of 2nd grade.

In 1st grade this year, DD is learning cursive letter formation, but still does copywork, spelling, dictation, and other work in manuscript (beautifully). Next year in 2nd grade, I will expect copywork, dictation, spelling, and other written work to transition to cursive, beginning with her copywork. HTH.

For those who require cursive in some/all subjects, why?

If the child doesn't write in cursive for all subjects, it will not become automatic. If it does not become automatic, the child (when older) will not choose to write in cursive. Some kind of joined writing is necessary for speed. So, to enable to child to write faster, it is necessary to learn some cursive to automaticity.

Never.

I don't anybody who uses cursive.

When my oldest went to ps for 6th and 7th grades, everybody printed everything.

In college, everything my oldest does is either printed (if done in class) or typed (if done outside of class).

Teachers specifically request that anything handwritten be done in print rather than cursive.

If the child doesn't write in cursive for all subjects, it will not become automatic. If it does not become automatic, the child (when older) will not choose to write in cursive. Some kind of joined writing is necessary for speed. So, to enable to child to write faster, it is necessary to learn some cursive to automaticity.

If this is the reason, wouldn't it make sense to also or instead of cursive teach short hand?

There was a poll a while back on the General Board where people tested their own writing to see which was faster - print or cursive. I think several said their print was faster. I know mine was a LOT faster.

I took notes in college in print. I never had any trouble keeping up with my professors. :)

I don't think joined writing is absolutely necessary, except maybe some joins thrown into your print that you'll automatically do when writing fast anyway (ie, you don't have to practice or learn a specific method of writing to do it).

Most of my kids don't write in cursive for their work. They all know how to write in cursive, but with the exception of my Aspie, none of them choose to write in cursive.

I could careless whether they print or use cursive. When they are in high school, everything they turn in has to be typed.

:iagree:

This is the same way I handle cursive.

Teachers specifically request that anything handwritten be done in print rather than cursive.

This may be due to a couple of factors. Many of the the younger teachers themselves may not be able to read cursive. Also, since cursive is rarely practiced to proficiency anymore in lower elementary school, many upper level students probably can't write it legibly.

When my oldest went to ps for 6th and 7th grades, everybody printed everything.

I've heard from several sources that our school district doesn't ever teach cursive anymore.

I really don't care that much, except that the boys' cursive really is 300% better than their print (after using cursive for a while, their print seems to improve for a while). Their little sister seems to be following in their footsteps to some extent. Actually, since I issued the cursive edict, my oldest has gone to typing everything, which is also fine with me.