Menu

What's on your Christmas breakfast, lunch, or dinner menu?

I have to work Christmas Eve so I thought a nice breakfast for dinner might be easy and nice for a change. We are having:

Apricot Stuffed French Toast

Peppered, Sugared Bacon

Fruit on Toothpicks

Breakfast Wassail

Christmas Day is at dh's family. I will make the chicken and dressing,fruitcake, white chocolate pound cake, and buttermilk pie.

There will also be sweet potatoes, peas, mashed potatoes,fruit salad, homemade rolls, turkey, ham, green bean casserole, and turnip greens.

Two days (at least) of feasting.

Last night we decided on biryani with chapatis and chutney.

There are very few meals that everyone in the family likes. We're pretty much limited to ham, tacos, and biryani. Tacos are too ordinary. We had ham at Thanksgiving. Biryani is everybody's favorite meal, so that's what I'm fixing.

It's a fabulous meal, but it's pretty time-consuming, so I only make it 3-4x/year. It's usually a special birthday dinner request.

We will be making biryani as well, especially now that my mom will be there to make it.:)

Christmas morning for us has to be cinnamon buns (or sticky buns as my grandmother called them). We make them the night before and put them in the fridge for the final rising. Take them out, bring to room temp, and put them in the oven on Christmas morning. Take one pan to the neighbors and eat the rest ourselves. I like to have eggs with them to give some protein to add to all the carbs. I only make these once a year, so they are a real treat. (Partly because I don't like all the steps of making them, and partly because I can't afford the calories more than once a year!)

Last night, our guys decided on turkey, pumpkin custard, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, etc. for Christmas dinner--a replay of Thanksgiving. Don't know what we'll do for lunch Christmas day.

Christmas Eve is always with family so I really don't have to cook...just bring a dessert, sodas, whatever I am told to bring. ;)

On Christmas Day we usually have to go to in-laws, but this year we get to stay home! Yay! After 27 years! :tongue_smilie:

So, our plan is our staple Christmas morning breakfast egg casserole which consists of refrigerated crescent rolls, spicy sausage, mozzarella & cheddar, and eggs served with OJ and coffee, and cinnamon rolls. My kids are not big breakfast eaters so this usually suffices. We then normally pack up ourselves and head to in laws for the day...but not THIS YEAR! :D

Lunch will be nachos! I have one of those three pot, slow cookers thingys. In one pot goes the nacho cheese (with added milk to keep it from burning), the next pot will have pulled pork (with a bit of added BBQ sauce and garlic) and the last pot will have jalapeño refried beans. We will also, of course, have all the toppings; onion, sour cream, guacamole, etc. My older boys are especially excited about the nachos. I make them a lot for bible studies, etc., but with their work schedules they are rarely home to get any. So this lunch is for them. ;)

Dinner will be ham, potato casserole (cubed hash browns, sour cream, lots of cheese...) sweet potato casserole, baked corn, green salad with homemade ranch dressing, rolls.

Dessert will be banana cream pie, and whatever else I decide upon.

(I will also be starting my second round of HCG on Christmas day, so it's going to be a GREAT loading day. :lol:)

Christmas Eve dinner:

White Bean Chicken Chili in crockpot

toppings (tortilla chips, salsa, sour cream, cheese)

salad

Christmas Day breakfast:

cinnamon rolls

breakfast casserole

fruit

Christmas Day dinner is at my dad's. Not sure what's on the menu this year.

So, our plan is our staple Christmas morning breakfast egg casserole which consists of refrigerated crescent rolls, spicy sausage, mozzarella & cheddar, and eggs served with OJ and coffee, and cinnamon rolls. My kids are not big breakfast eaters so this usually suffices. We then normally pack up ourselves and head to in laws for the day...but not THIS YEAR! :D

Do you mind sharing the casserole recipe? I've been trying to find a casserole for Christmas morning and this sounds yummy.

Christmas Eve

We are attending a party before church. The hostess is providing chili and I am bringing a tree shaped veggie pizza appetizer and Santa Hat Brownies.

Christmas Morning

cinnamon bread souffle

scrambled eggs

sausage

orange juice

Christmas Dinner

ham

mashed potatoes

sweet potato souffle

corn pudding

green beans

rolls

sparkling cranberry cider

Checkerboard Mousse Cake from Trader Joe's, along with Christmas cookies

Christmas Eve: we go to church then to the local Chinese Buffet.

Christmas Breakfast: Cookies & milk, or some such simple, fun breakfast

Christmas Lunch: Lunch Meat/Cheese Tray, veggie tray, fruit tray and chips. Pumpkin Pie 'tarts', & brownies.

Christmas Dinner: Leftovers from lunch

We are bringing MIL home for lunch, and she has dementia. She can no longer use utensils, so we are having 'finger' foods.

My Christmas breakfast is

Multigrain Pancakes with Cranberry Maple syrup

Canadian Bacon

fruit salad

lunch will be everyone for themselves

Dinner

Roast Duck

Roasted potatoes

Green Beans with almonds

Salad with Raspberry Walnut dressing

Dutch Apple Pie with crumb topping

Chocolate rolled cake with tiramisu cream inside

Cookies

For Christmas Eve, we are having a couple of different kinds of soup, and maybe homemade bread if I get ambitious.

On Christmas morning, we will have homemade cinnamon rolls and a breakfast casserole.

Then we will travel to dh's mom's house to celebrate with them on the 26th. She is having brisket for sandwiches. I am bringing homemade rolls and a vegetable salad. Everyone else will bring side dishes and we all bring snacks.

Christmas Eve I have not a clue what our meals will be, but here are our Christmas Day meals.

Breakfast is quickly turning into a tradition.....pancakes. Not ordinary pancakes, but those in the shapes of a tree, reindeer or snowman AND layered with-

homemade whipped cream

fresh fruits (on top as well as in batter)

pecan pieces

chocolate chips or chunks

My dd makes great crepes and I'd rather have these than the pancakes she prefers.

Lunch - have not a clue.

Here is our Christmas dinner menu.

Standing Rib roast

Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes

Green Bean OR Broccoli casserole

Lettuce Salad (this is a meal in itself)

Multi-Grain rolls w/honey-cinammon butter

Waldorf Salad (probably)

Homemade Pumpkin Pie

OR, my alterative -

Standing Rib roast

Roasted new potatoes, carrots, celery

Lettuce

Rolls

Waldorf Salad

breakfast - Rhodes pull a part rolls,

Lunch - we were going out but it looks like rain and cold all day so I will be making a simple turkey dinner, rolls, garlic mash potato, baby peas, jello something or other and red velvet cake for dessert.

dinner - left overs

Do you mind sharing the casserole recipe? I've been trying to find a casserole for Christmas morning and this sounds yummy.

Sure! :D We tried several recipes in the past before finding this one. It's easy, and we all like it best.

Egg & Sausage Casserole

1 roll of spicy breakfast sausage

1 8 oz refrigerated crescent rolls

8 eggs beaten

2 cups shredded mozzarella

2 cups shredded cheddar

1 tsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 350

Cook sausage, drain, crumble, set aside

Lightly grease 9x13 pan. Line bottom with crescent roll dough, press and pinch it to fit bottom of pan...no need to separate at perforated edges, just put the whole thing in the bottom of the pan and press together making a bottom 'crust'. Sprinkle cooked sausage on top of dough.

In a large bowl (or Kitchen Aid stand mixer which is what I use) mix eggs, cheeses and oregano together. Pour over the sausage/dough in pan.

Bake 25 to 30 min or until knife or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Breakfast is pretty much always an egg/sausage casserole (sausage and ground beef browned and drained. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Saute peppers, onions, and mushrooms then add those into the meat/cr. cheese mixture. Pour into prepared 9x13, top with about 6 beaten eggs and sprinkle cheese over the top). I serve it with scones and or cinnamon rolls for the kids. Will make some low carb almond muffins for the rest of us. Fruit salad (usually w/ pomegranate seeds) and mimosas/coffee.

Lunch will be mostly appetizer type stuff.

I wasn't going to cook a big dinner but 2 of my brothers are coming now, so we're going to do prime rib, some unknown side, and green beans. CHeesecake and boston cream pie for dessert (w/ erythritol and stevia as sweeteners).

Sure! :D We tried several recipes in the past before finding this one. It's easy, and we all like it best.

Egg & Sausage Casserole

8 eggs beaten

2 cups shredded cheddar

1 tsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 350

Lightly grease 9x13 pan. Line bottom with crescent roll dough, press and pinch it to fit bottom of pan...no need to separate at perforated edges, just put the whole thing in the bottom of the pan and press together making a bottom 'crust'. Sprinkle cooked sausage on top of dough.

In a large bowl (or Kitchen Aid stand mixer which is what I use) mix eggs, cheeses and oregano together. Pour over the sausage/dough in pan.

Bake 25 to 30 min or until knife or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Thank you! I looked at recipes online but was having trouble deciding. This sounds perfect.

Egg & Sausage Casserole

8 eggs beaten

2 cups shredded cheddar

1 tsp dried oregano

Preheat oven to 350

Thanks! This sounds good. I think I'll try it with cooked and crumbled bacon instead of sausage.

Wendi

I'm enjoying this thread. Usually I just provide bagels for breakfast on Christmas, but I thought I'd try making something this year.

We're still trying to decide on our Christmas Eve dinner. Last year, we went out for Japanese food after church. DS and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it, but dh just likes it. So we are thinking of making tacos at home instead. With maybe Mexican rice, horchata, and . . . what else? We'll probably eat dinner, then go to church, then come home and make s'mores in the fireplace while watching a movie.

Christmas dessert is usually cheesecake, but this year I think I'll make a Japanese-style Christmas cake, which is basically sponge cake with whipped cream, decorated with strawberries.

Wendi

Christmas Eve

Lunch

- homemade guacamole and salsa

- tortilla chips

- maybe stollen for dessert, or gingerbread cheese ball with gingersnaps

Supper (at parents' house)

- the traditional spicy corn chowder

- biscuits or buns

Christmas Day

Breakfast

- bodum hot chocolate

- sparkling blood orange juice drink

- bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon

- homemade cinnamon buns

Dinner (pretty much a traditional Thanksgiving-style dinner at my parents' house)

- turkey

- twice baked potato casserole (I'm bringing)

- various sides (probably a salad, a sweet potato dish, and a couple others)

- pumpkin pie and whipped cream

I've now got plenty of good ideas for next year from reading this yummy thread!

I suppose if I put it in writing and on the internet it will be finally decided. For the past few years I've gone with chili and cornbread for Christmas Eve dinner. I've also done breakfast casserole and nibbles throughout the day so I did not have to cook.

This year we are going to the 10p mass. I do not want to have chili (with beans) passing through my system while at church. So chili is out. Add to that we've had lentils twice this week. I have to figure this out as I'm running out of time. I do not want to spend two days in the kitchen cooking either.

*Searching the internet for ideas.*

Here's what I've come up with.

Christmas Eve - Asparagus quiche, Caesar salad

Christmas Morning - Scones, fruit salad and deviled eggs.

Christmas Lunch - We were given a ham so I'll pop it in the oven in the morning and we will have several kinds of bread, condiments, potato salad, fresh pineapple.

Christmas dinner - Mac and Cheese, leftover ham, mixed greens with walnuts, fuji apple and feta salad.

Desserts - cookies, leftover scones, and fruitcake. Maybe mince pie if I get ambitious.