Menu

What brand of deodorant for a little boy?

My boys would start smelling kind of "musky" not so much like adult body oder. We start with powder, deodorant powder like Gold Bond, and that helps. Then, move to a deoderant without anti-persperant. If he remembers to use it once a week, it'll probably be plenty. I'd smell all the plainer deodorants, to find a fragrance I liked. Something inexpensive, too, since it may end up in the tub, or just not used, or melted away. Ha.

Is he actually washing? I've had issues in the past with boys 'showering' when what they were actually doing was standing under the shower for ages then getting out. They weren't soaping the important places. Perhaps you or your husband could reteach in a supervised shower before reaching for the deodorant.

Laura

Is he actually washing? I've had issues in the past with boys 'showering' when what they were actually doing was standing under the shower for ages then getting out. They weren't soaping the important places. Perhaps you or your husband could reteach in a supervised shower before reaching for the deodorant.

Laura

:D Sometimes they even need to put shampoo on their hair.

My 6-year-old has been getting a bit stinky under the arms lately. I find it weird because he is so young and I still wash him, but have read others state that their kids began to smell early on too. Anyway, I have made sure his underarms are super clean lately and sometimes I spray them with chrystal deo spray that is all-natural with lavender. This does stop the smell. Don't want to deal with all this yet since he is only in kindy. :glare:

I second the suggestion for shower retraining.

When my dd was in karate, a boy there (he's now 17 -- in our co-op so we are in touch weekly!) who was about 10 at the time bragged that he was good at tricking his parents. He would go to the bathroom, turn on the shower, stick his head in to get his hair wet and then simply get dressed in his pajamas and he claimed, "the damp hair tricked them every time."

I have a good idea that his parents weren't fooled at all. Ten year old boys often think they are smarter than they really are.

Remind him! Check him if you must. Sniff, sniff

My son finally started washing important parts when I threatened to watch him shower each night and wash what he missed myself.

You can just use plain antibacterial hand lotion, like tht Purell stuff, under his arms. It is the bacteria that causes the smell. Otherwise, take him to the deodorant section of a health food store and let him pick the one he likes best. He doesn't need an antipersperant and that is about all you will find anywhere else.

We started our boys off with Arm and Hammer Essentials (can get it at WalMart).

From their website:

"Contains ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda and natural plant extracts to absorb and fight odor. Essentials® Deodorant does not contain aluminum, parabens, colorants or animal-derived ingredients. This fragrance is sure to leave you feeling fresh and clean with its blend of sparkling citrus, fresh lavender and soft florals."

We started our boys off with Arm and Hammer Essentials (can get it at WalMart).

From their website:

"Contains ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda and natural plant extracts to absorb and fight odor. Essentials® Deodorant does not contain aluminum, parabens, colorants or animal-derived ingredients. This fragrance is sure to leave you feeling fresh and clean with its blend of sparkling citrus, fresh lavender and soft florals."

:lol: Well, I guess it would be better to have little boys smelling like sparkling fruit and fresh flowers than little boy b.o.

I don't remember what kind of deodorant my ds has right now. But, at least there are more just deodorants and not deodorant/antiperspirant choices for guys than there are for girls (almost all girl deodorants also include an antiperspirant).

Hmmm....my last sentence sounds confusing. I know what I mean. :D

Laura

:iagree:

We had to do this when my son was almost 7. It actually took several sessions of us scrubbing him to get him smelling good again.

You can make your own deodorant. Just mix together:

5-6 Tbs coconut oil

4 Tbs cornstarch

4 Tbs Baking Soda

I've been amazed at how well this stuff works to eliminate odors. I just put it in a little jar and smear it on with my fingertips. It's a little messier than the store bought stuff, but you don't have to worry about what kind of chemicals are in it.

:lol: Well, I guess it would be better to have little boys smelling like sparkling fruit and fresh flowers than little boy b.o.

I don't remember what kind of deodorant my ds has right now. But, at least there are more just deodorants and not deodorant/antiperspirant choices for guys than there are for girls (almost all girl deodorants also include an antiperspirant).

Hmmm....my last sentence sounds confusing. I know what I mean. :D

LOL - there are other scents - this is just one I happened to click on. I think they have a scent-free one as well :)