Menu

Tim Tebow

Is the man. :)

I had no clue until a couple days ago that he is working with another homeschooled football player at getting all states to allow homeschooled kids to play high school sports for their local school.

I listened to his mic'd up from last week and he is so incredibly positive throughout the entire game, he's simply amazing.

I admit I am a Cowboy fan most days, and a Raider fan too, but more than anything I truly believe Tim Tebow is exactly what we need right now. I hope to raise my son to be as thoughtful as he is. The showed him talking to a little boy he first met in Florida, and it was the sweetest interaction...

Anyway, I think D is getting a Tebow jersey for Christmas..... maybe even me too.

As I write this, dh and ds15 are on their way to the Broncos/Patriots game. The day is gorgeous here and I so wanted to pull rank and go with dh.;) I could not do it though, they are so excited to have a father/son day!

I am so proud of Tim and the entire Broncos team. They step up every week and do not give up even when they continue to be told that they aren't good enough.

THAT is what I want my kids to see. Not men who make millions of dollars who don't play as hard as they can for the entire 60 minutes. (Remembering a Cutler game I went to a few years ago. He played as if he could care less. Ticked me off that we spent so much money to attend a game, froze our buns off, and he just phoned in in.):glare:

GO BRONCOS!!

He seems like a great guy. I almost feel bad that he will lose to the Patriots today.

:lol:

THAT is what I want my kids to see. Not men who make millions of dollars who don't play as hard as they can for the entire 60 minutes. (Remembering a Cutler game I went to a few years ago. He played as if he could care less. Ticked me off that we spent so much money to attend a game, froze our buns off, and he just phoned in in.):glare:

GO BRONCOS!!

Exactly!! I pray I have the ability to raise my son to be like THAT when he grows up.

He does rock! We just moved to Colorado and are totally loving him and the Broncos. I really want to get his book and read it with my ds. He seems to be a great role model in a world where there are not too many famous people who came claim that title.

I didn't know he had a book, I'm going to have to pick it up. Make it our week 1 reading for 2012.

While I have great respect for the guy, his character and all that he has accomplished, I am wary of what would happen if he should get is way. I am concerned that, if we require schools to allow homeschoolers to play on public school teams, then we invite more intrusion into our homeschools. In IL, we have a lot of freedoms. NO reporting, no review. We are our own private schools. Basically, they do not know we exist, unless we have to be in the system for something else. I have no desire to see that changed.

While I have great respect for the guy, his character and all that he has accomplished, I am wary of what would happen if he should get is way. I am concerned that, if we require schools to allow homeschoolers to play on public school teams, then we invite more intrusion into our homeschools. In IL, we have a lot of freedoms. NO reporting, no review. We are our own private schools. Basically, they do not know we exist, unless we have to be in the system for something else. I have no desire to see that changed.

Why would that change? I guess I don't understand your logic, I would be thrilled if when my kids hit high school they would be allowed to participate in organized sports still.

Our state allows homeschoolers to play on school teams- and we have some of the least intrusive homeschooling laws in the country.

Why would that change? I guess I don't understand your logic, I would be thrilled if when my kids hit high school they would be allowed to participate in organized sports still.

A public school parent might resent the fact that his/her child has to get a certain GPA to play while the homeschooled student might have no grades that aren't Mommy grades. The ps parent might argue that someone else needs to 'verify' the hs student's GPA to make it 'fair.'

Another situation might be a ps student with poor grades who is pulled out and called a homeschooled student in order to be able to play. Not an issue if it's 'real' homeschooling but totally an issue if it's a sham in order to be allowed to play. And who's to judge?

In a perfect world, there is not intense competition for spots on teams and parents intent on increasing the chances college scholarships. But we don't live in that world.

I'm interested to hear stories of how ps make this work. I've only lived in states where it is not allowed or left up to the district (and then not allowed).

A public school parent might resent the fact that his/her child has to get a certain GPA to play while the homeschooled student might have no grades that aren't Mommy grades. The ps parent might argue that someone else needs to 'verify' the hs student's GPA to make it 'fair.'

Another situation might be a ps student with poor grades who is pulled out and called a homeschooled student in order to be able to play. Not an issue if it's 'real' homeschooling but totally an issue if it's a sham in order to be allowed to play. And who's to judge?

In a perfect world, there is not intense competition for spots on teams and parents intent on increasing the chances college scholarships. But we don't live in that world.

I'm interested to hear stories of how ps make this work. I've only lived in states where it is not allowed or left up to the district (and then not allowed).

I didn't think of it that way. Of course I NEVER see the bad side of any situation until it's pointed out; my strength AND weakness!

I wonder how they do it then. I do know there was some controversy when Tebow's family got an apartment and him and his mom lived in it so he could play for a different school in high school.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want something from them, they usually want something in return. Our state high school association has rules about participation in sports from grades to being drug free, etc. Right now, homeschooled kids are not allowed to participate unless they take a certain number of classes at the school so that they can meet the grade criteria. They will not accept mommy grades. If they are required to allow homeschooled students on their teams, how will the insure that it is fair to both the students in the school and to the homeschooled child?

I can see two outcomes ... eliminating the minimum grades for all students to participate in athletics (is that a good thing?) or more intrusion into homeschools. I live in a very free state and have fought to keep it that way. I am very wary of situations that invite the school officials into my life.

I can understand your reservations to a certain extent. "Give them and inch, they'll take a mile". However, kids in Colorado have been able to play sports with their local high schools for quite a while and we have not seen any increased intrusion because of it. They have to try out, of course, but it seems to work pretty smoothly here from what I have seen.

Dd13 actually plays volleyball and basketball for a private non-religious school. (They made it to the State Middle School Tournament in Nov.) The school has been incredibly welcoming to her and she also attends the school dances and was asked to participate on the school's float in a recent parade.

Some kids may aspire to play sports in college and/or professionally. Sometimes, the only programs available are the public school programs.

Here's what our homeschool law says about this:

(b)(I) For purposes of this subsection (6), a child who is participating in a nonpublic home-based educational program shall have the same rights as a student enrolled in a public school of the school district in which the child resides or is enrolled and may participate on an equal basis in any extracurricular or interscholastic activity offered by a public school or offered by a private school, at the private school's discretion, as provided in section 22-32-116.5 and is subject to the same rules of any interscholastic organization or association of which the student's school of participation is a member.

© No child participating in an extracurricular or interscholastic activity pursuant to paragraph (b) of this subsection (6) shall be considered attending the public school district where the child participates in such activity for purposes of determining pupil enrollment under paragraph (a) of this subsection (6).

Our regulations here a pretty relaxed. We are required to write a basic letter of intent to a school district in the state; keep (but not report) basic records for attendance, immunization records and test scores. (A Nationally Standardized Test must be administered in the years 3,5,7,9,11.); and teach 172 days with a minimum of 4 contact hours a day. No reporting, no review. Pretty simple to me.

Mommy Grades â„¢. I love it, lol.

We have zero regulation in Texas, which actually seems to create more barriers between many school districts and home schoolers. AFAIK, the districts aren't getting allotted extra funds for home schooled students to join their programs and use their facilities, and they are assuming legal risk if anybody gets hurt.

This doesn't affect us so far because our son plays hockey, and while high schools here do have ice hockey teams, most serious players are on teams that are hosted and run by local rinks, both house leagues and especially travel teams. These aren't affiliated to any school.

He could play travel football, baseball, soccer, or just about any other sport here as well, although I think the scouts tend to favor high school teams for these, unlike hockey.

It is fairly new, but it is allowed in Oregon now. The kids have to fill all the requirements of the PS kids to participate in sports, accept attendance. Mommy grades are counted.

We are fairly unregulated here. Starting in 3rd grade you have to do testing ever other year. We have to send a letter of intent when we start. That's it. No hour counting reviews etc...

It seems to be working so far, and I haven't noticed any increase in the state's monitoring of homeschoolers.

Odd, I lived in FL, in his home town, two blocks from the high school he played football. 84 minutes from his college campus.

My DH has been a LONG time Broncos fan, before Elway even, and so we were thrilled that Tebow went to the Broncos.

We've followed his every step. Read his book. Watch all of the news on him, even the crap. I do not think that I have EVER heard HIM say ANYTHING about homeschoolers having the right to play public school sports, EVER.

What makes you think that he "wants his way"? I've no indication that he's ever made that his cause.

Guess what, that's not HIS cause. It's the students in your states, my state, many other states, who do not have the right to play in sports in their school district, and who would like that chance to show what they can do. It's their cause. Perhaps your children are not athletes in their high schools years, which is fine, but for those families who do have children who want to play sports in high school, there are very very few options. Most "rec" leagues stop offering teams around middle school age, because it's offered at schools.

Not everyone is going to be a Tebow....but you know there are 1,000's of colleges, big and small that have football/baseball/golf/softball, etc etc etc for college students and are looking and offering scholarships to players. If you don't have a team in high school to showcase what you can do, you never get the chance.

BTW, several states allowed HSers to play in public school, and for the few that do, it's so not a big deal as far as "Big brother" being involved. For those students and parents who do want to participate in the sports of public schools, there may be hoops, and most are willing to jump those hoops for the desired outcome. No need for a fear factor here.

My son spoke before our Senate Education Committee three years ago, we have a good chance of getting it voted on and passed this year...of course our biggest opponent was the Board of Education 'ruler'...the objections he raised at that hearing were outrageous...I was given a chance to speak (3 minutes) and I was the last speaker of about 9...I asked for a show of hands (including senators and a packed room with even homeschoolers who were performing as pages in the state senate) who had read the entire bill...only ONE raised their hand!! How could they argue against a bill they have not read? Many of the questions you have are addressed on this site www.timtebowbill.com

Over 27 states already have access for sports/music/arts and they have not seen what you are fearing..I hope that more people will take the time to explore the options for all children..especially since our tax dollars pay for them...

One reason the school districts allow HS kids to play sports with PS kids is because it encourages more homeschooling families to register with their local school board. In Florida, many register with private (umbrella) schools, so by doing this (and in some counties they allow HS kids to take a class or two in the PS - art, band, math, history, etc. They can take as many or as few as they'd like) they can compete with the private schools. The school board receives funding for students registered with them, but if the HS student is registered with a private school, the school board receives nothing. The school board is not any more intrusive to those who take classes or play sports than they are with those who register and don't participate.

I'm so out of it. Can someone tell me about Tim? So he homeschooled?

How wonderful!

Alley

Yes!...Tim Tebow is the starting quartertback for the Denver Broncos...He was homeschooled and won the Heisman trophy as a sophomore (never been done before I believe)...He doesn't have the greatest stats as an NFL quarterback, but his team has been winning under his leadership...

He is also very public about the fact that he is a Christian, and prays with his team at games...

My DH would be proud that I know all of this :tongue_smilie:

I think it's difficult for anyone to live up to the image that the media and those who hero-worship a guy like Tebow create. Yes, he's a good guy, but he's human. That's a lot of pressure, and so many things can be misinterpreted or worse, intentionally used to defile.

I saw an interview with a young British actress-- name escapes me now-- it might have been Emma Thompson?--- anyway she was discussing the British tabloid issue. She said she was visiting a pediatric cancer ward and playing with one of the little kids. He had just gotten a light saber toy and pretended to use it. She laid back and pretended to be "slain" by the light saber, eyes half-closed and mouth hanging open. Tabloids ran it with the headline that she was passed out drunk in a dance club.

It's a double-edged sword, and the media often has no shame.

astrid

LOL--Well, if I owned a racehorse, it'd be named "Spoke Too Soon.":lol:

(IOW, they lost.)

But what a first quarter it was! Fun to watch.

I was happy that Patriots player Danny Woodhead got his first touchdown of the season. He was homeschooled until his freshman year of high school.

Edited by ccm

I watched that Tebow Mic'd up thing as well. He was so positive. I loved how he was interacting with the opposing team. At one point he was laying on the ground after having been sacked, I think and say, "Good play, man!" LOL He's so funny.

I know I loved it!! He is such a nice guy.