Menu

Smething technological for the 19 yr old college student who wants nothing. Help.

With an old computer she shares with a sibling, that's the way I would go. Laptop or desktop? Hmmmm. I think it depends on the likelihood of her college (that she might transfer to) requiring a laptop or not. I think you would be able to find one that handled her software just fine.

That's exactly waht I should get- laptop. Gonna do it! She just never asks for anything. She always says she doesn't 'need' anything. . This is a kid who never asks even asks for coffee money. Sometimes I wonder if she feels neglected. My dh says that's crazy, she's simply a 'content' person. I was organizing gifts the other day, and I felt a dope wrapping a box of Fruit Loops.

Edited by LibraryLover

I think you should either get her a laptop that's a workstation, or a small, light laptop, or, if money allows, a desktop workstation and a small, light laptop.

The good thing is that you can get her a nice note-taking, productivity-oriented small laptop for not much money these days. You can get a decent workstation-class laptop for roughly $1500 and up, but they get expensive quickly and are not as upgradeable as desktop workstations.

In your situation I'd probably get her a note-taking laptop and find out more about her workstation needs (this might involve simply discussing with her that you'd like to buy her a workstation). You'd hate to get her a workstation that's not just what she needs or wants-- artists can be picky about their tools like anyone else, and she may have specific needs that you'd miss and wouldn't be fully supported by your best-guess choice. If you do buy her a workstation, try to buy from a retailer that will accept returns with a small or zero restocking fee if it's not what she needs, or will allow a trade-in with no penalty.

When you say workstation., are you talking about all the wires and gadgets that are *all* over the desk I'm sitting at? Printers and scanners and tablets and such?

I think you should either get her a laptop that's a workstation, or a small, light laptop, or, if money allows, a desktop workstation and a small, light laptop.

The good thing is that you can get her a nice note-taking, productivity-oriented small laptop for not much money these days. You can get a decent workstation-class laptop for roughly $1500 and up, but they get expensive quickly and are not as upgradeable as desktop workstations.

In your situation I'd probably get her a note-taking laptop and find out more about her workstation needs (this might involve simply discussing with her that you'd like to buy her a workstation). You'd hate to get her a workstation that's not just what she needs or wants-- artists can be picky about their tools like anyone else, and she may have specific needs that you'd miss and wouldn't be fully supported by your best-guess choice. If you do buy her a workstation, try to buy from a retailer that will accept returns with a small or zero restocking fee if it's not what she needs, or will allow a trade-in with no penalty.

Edited by LibraryLover

Workstation-class machines generally differ from ordinary PCs in offering the capacity for more memory and memory of different types, more powerful CPUs to handle more demanding tasks, the ability to handle multiple and higher-resolution displays, higher-performance graphics cards which can be necessary for certain types of rendering tasks, more powerful storage options built-in, etc. Some types of artistic work can be quite demanding on processors and disks, and that's why you need to know what you're doing, and the specific needs you're filling, to buy a workstation.

I would get something a bit more powerful than an HP Mini netbook if possible, even for taking notes and word processing, although if that's all you can afford I'm sure it will be appreciated. The Intel Atom processors used in such netbooks are fairly underpowered, though they are good on battery life. And to answer your question, such a netbook will be wholly inadequate for almost all higher-end graphics-intensive work, although it may be able to barely run photo-editing software very slowly.

Oh, here's an odd question. ;) Is there such a thing as a non- smart phone (meaning no internet- she doesn't care, and doesn't want to make monthly payments on one) which can store her iPod music? She has a phone and an iPod, and I wonder if it's possible to streamline this?

I don't know about the computer stuff, but I have a samsung Evergreen phone. Although it is possible to go online with it, it is not necessary and I use it with no data plan. Using a micro SD card, I can transfer music onto it and use it to playback the music.

Thanks!

I just didnt want her to have just Fruit Loops. Lol but I don't want to get her something just for the sake of it.

Workstation-class machines generally differ from ordinary PCs in offering the capacity for more memory and memory of different types, more powerful CPUs to handle more demanding tasks, the ability to handle multiple and higher-resolution displays, higher-performance graphics cards which can be necessary for certain types of rendering tasks, more powerful storage options built-in, etc. Some types of artistic work can be quite demanding on processors and disks, and that's why you need to know what you're doing, and the specific needs you're filling, to buy a workstation.

I would get something a bit more powerful than an HP Mini netbook if possible, even for taking notes and word processing, although if that's all you can afford I'm sure it will be appreciated. The Intel Atom processors used in such netbooks are fairly underpowered, though they are good on battery life. And to answer your question, such a netbook will be wholly inadequate for almost all higher-end graphics-intensive work, although it may be able to barely run photo-editing software very slowly.

Edited by LibraryLover

$1500 is beyond me right now.

But. Let's see if I am saying this right. lol What about an HP Mini Netbook 10.5" screen (small, but can be plugged into something bigger, right?) LED Backlighting. 160 gig. ??

My brother has a brand new one he traded for something or other (geek tech, but knows nothing about art needs). It's never been used. Was $400 new, says I can have it for $200. Would this be something good enough for class and to do some a digital art? Software can be loaded onto it. Is the screen just too small to work on?

And when you say workstation., are you talking about all the wires and gadgets that are *all* over the desk I'm sitting at? Printers and scanners and tablets and such?

Dd has an Acer 10.1" netbook. It is all she's ever had for her studies. We did get her a flatscreen monitor & wireless keyboard/mouse a couple months back for her to use when in her flat. The 10.1" screen on the netbook was getting a bit frustrating when she was working on some of her presentations as she continually needed to scroll back & forth.

She LOVES her netbook as she can take it everywhere & can even work on the bus home without disturbing the passenger next to her. A bigger laptop would have not been as portable. Dd has flashdrives & a small external hard drive (about the size of a deck of cards) that she uses to store all her music / photos / work / etc. Netbooks have no cd-rom drive, but you can get an external cd reader/writer. We did this for dd & have another for our netbook at home as well.

If your dd is interested in running art / graphics software, a netbook would not be the best choice IMHO. For email / internet surfing / word processing / etc. a netbook is fine, but not for gaming or other high speed / high graphics work. Maybe an iPad would be a good choice. I don't know a lot about iPads, but they seem to do everything & if you get a wireless keyboard they would work like a netbook as well.

As far as putting music on a non-smart phone. Here in NZ all cellphones, except the very basic, basic cellphones have the capacity to play music. My dc's cellphones all play music. They have a mini SD card that fits in their cellphones for more memory. None of my dc have smartphones.

JMHO,

Graphics tablet, search Wacom Intuos4 and Wacom Bamboo.

Double monitors for computer.

High quality headphones, sound cancelling.

Second hand dumbphones are cheap and easy to buy on Amazon. Some used smartphones, can be unlocked to use wi-fi, and not need or use a data plan, under normal circumstances.

If she has a working desktop that she uses and likes and it's in the budget I would go for a refurbished iPad. She can read books in iBooks and kindle apps and most colleges now offer textbooks for the iPad. It's also great for note taking.

Eta: the iPad is great for art and graphics.

I only skimmed responses, but if she does graphics on the computer, then she will probably need a MacBook Pro (the laptop that can handle the graphics software) or an iMac. Most graphic designers use macs.

Nah. Either a Mac or a PC will do-- it's about the specs, not the brand. I'm not sure whether there's a Macbook Pro with a workstation-class graphics card, which might matter or it might not, but generally speaking PC hardware is cheaper than Mac hardware. It's really up to the OP's daughter what she prefers and needs.

(Nonscientific poll: http://justcreativedesign.com/2008/09/01/mac-or-pc-for-graphic-designer-mac-vs-pc-poll/ )

Ds17 was like that for many years. I ended up giving him cash to spend on items he wanted throughout the year. I wrapped it up as many different presents. I used toilet paper tubes and small boxes. Like you, I didn't want to waste money on something they don't want.

For ds this year, I am buying him:

A suitcase. He doesn't have his own and he is going to Haiti this summer.

A water bottle with a filter on it for Haiti.

A tool set to start his own tool box for when he moves out.

A Bible Concordance. For use now, but he plans to go to Bible college in the fall so he will need one by then no matter what.

A Wii game Origins to play with his siter (she will like it more than he will, but it is something he will play with her.)

His sister bought him a new robe and tie.

From his grandma, he ordered some gaming pieces for a miniature game he plays (grandma has the kid pick their own gifts and then bring them to Christmas to open with her.)

I am upgrading both of our laptops from Vista to Windows 7, so that is in his gift pile too.

Airbrush accesories (he uses it to paint miniatures)

For his stocking, he will get Trader Joes chocolates and a gift card or two to restaurants he likes to eat at. Burgerville is by the college and 5 Guys.

He knows to not expect WOW presents at Christmas. He likes it when I give him cash to save for things he wants later. At one point he had saved quite a chunk of money from several Christmases and birthdays. I took the money and bought him a gaming laptop, it was $1500. It was worth it! He had no idea I was doing it, but was absolutely thrilled when he opened it. It would not have done any good for me to buy him a cheap laptop, as it wouldn't have done what he needed it to do. He has used it heavily for 4 years, from high school/college classes, gaming, Pandora/Facebook etc. It was the best thing I could have ever bought him.

For dd13, one year when she didn't really want anything particular, we redecorated her room.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

Is she away at college? Our son is in a dorm and while he has a kitchen, we got him a personal size Keurig for his room. He likes his coffee in the morning and late at nite and always going out to the cafeteria isn't always convenient. The Keurig is compact and the pods make is perfect for the dorm room.

He is a Digital Media major and his Mac died but he wanted a PC to replace it instead. He said he has found that there isn't a particular need for a Mac anymore in the digital media courses. He did need a Wacuum Draw Tablet so that suggestion is really good too.