Menu

To Wrap or Not to Wrap

My baby's first Christmas I don't really remember even giving him anything. How cruel is that!?! Maybe I've just forgotten. Last year my mom had just died and I had just gotten my 7 year old sister moved in. I didn't wrap and we had a horrible tree fiasco that will live in our families history forever. I did however, set up the gifts along with their like items (Big Red Barn with Schelich animals, Easel with Paint and Brushes, Guitar with stand and music books, etc.) among a few feather tress, Christmas books, and Christ is Born spelled out with our ABC blocks, and our nativity set. It wasn't perfect, but it looked festive.

My son is now 2.5. Its his third Christmas. We got a box in the mail the other day from yoyo.com. He opened the box! He wasn't able to see what was in it because of the large air bubble plastic things, but he was able to rip the tape off the box. I think he might enjoy opening the gifts. How do you wrap things for a toddler or should I? Will it be too confusing or difficult for him to open everything? Or should I set things up under the tree unwrapped again? If I do wrap how should I wrap his bicycle? I was thinking we could put it together and put it in a new box. Ideas? Thoughts?

I remember when my DS was that age at Christmas. He put all his (wrapped) presents in one spot and just enjoyed having them for awhile. He eventually opened them.

That was the first year he "got" Christmas (was trying to sing O Christmas Tree as we brought in the tree), so it was a lot of fun. I say wrap them!

I probably wouldn't wrap the bicycle, but I would definitely have it put together. :)

Wrap, woman ,wrap :lol:

There is nothing a 2yo likes better then unwrapping presents - in fact I think they like it more then the gift they get.

For the past few weeks my DD has grabbed all my wrapping paper and been wrapping all the empty boxes she can find (she loves to wrap) and my 2yo then takes her wrapped boxes and gleefully rips all the paper off and he does not care there is nothing inside :lol: It's their favourite game right now -she gets to wrap- he gets to open.

So far I have only got my 2yo one gift for Christmas because he just doesn't need anything else but I know I'm going to end up buying him a bunch of stuff he doesn't need just so he will get the thrill of unwrapping (Maybe I should just wrap empty boxes for him).

When I wrap his gifts I use just a tiny amount of tape so it's easy for him to remove.

If your son has never unwrapped gifts before he may need some lessons to start off :lol:

Wrap some empty boxes for him and show him what to do and then sit back and watch the joy on his face as he revels in the joy of ripping paper. Then he'll be able to do it quite compentently on Christmas day

One word of warning though - if you teach him this skill before Christmas -don't put any gifts under the tree early - because they will be fair game. We learned this pretty quickly after my first child became competent at unwrapping at age 2 and since then we've always had to keep a bare Chrsitmas tree right up to Christmas morning :lol:

I take things out of their boxes first. Nothing worse for a small kid than unwrapping a present to find it tied into a box with those horrible plastic ties and having to wait while Mum and Dad track down some scissors or a steak knife to hack into the beastly thing.

Rosie

I take things out of their boxes first. Nothing worse for a small kid than unwrapping a present to find it tied into a box with those horrible plastic ties and having to wait while Mum and Dad track down some scissors or a steak knife to hack into the beastly thing.

Rosie

Yes I will definitely be doing this!

Rosie

Yes, this. We always try to assemble gifts first, or to take the ties off beforehand. Little People were the worst about a zillion plastic ties!

I'd wrap his presents. My 3yo is so excited about unwrapping things.

We do a combination of (mostly) wrapped and unwrapped. Any "big" gifts are left unwrapped and then everything else is wrapped. So in previous years the big gifts havs been a (mini) trampoline, a radio flyer rocking horse, spike the dinosaur, etc. Thise were always put together (charged if needed) and left unwrapped and ready to go under the tree while everything else was wrapped (including any accessories for the 'big' gift if needed. So if we were giving a bike, I would assemble it and leave it unwrapped under the tree with a bow and a tag, but everything else would be wrapped.

I would wrap some and leave some unwrapped. The bike is a good one to just put a big ribbon on.

My dds didn't have a ton of stamina for opening presents at that age. It took them forever to get through all the gifts. Yes, it is fun to unwrap, but many 2yos are painfully slow about it. So personally I wouldn't overdo it.