Menu

Will you please share your family rules and chore assignments?

We have assigned chores based on the child's skill level and interest (ds6 LOVES to vacuum---uhh ok.)

We have a daily chore

pick-up den,

p/u paper/toy/other bits in the classroom and dining room

empty dishwasher (dd8 LOVES to do this)

sweep kitchen floor

Weekly chore

bathroom cleaning (3 bathrooms)

litterboxes

vacuum stairs

p/u house for vacuuming (each child get assigned a room)

trash removal in all rooms

collect hangers from all closets to give me for laundry

Monthly chores

wash dog

wash kitchen rugs

clean under couches

clean out EVERYTHING under beds

Bed and room p/u = breakfast

daily chores are done every day

weekly chores need to be done only once a week, but we have a lot of them so we do 1-3 weekly chores per week

monthly chores are done once a month

chores are MOSTLY done when I need to focus on one child or another during class---

For instance, when I want to do WWE with the bigs, the littles do chores,

then everyone switches.

Mama is the mama, not the maid.

Pick up after your own self, or mama will remind you to do it, even if that means she interrupts whatever fun thing you're doing.

My 6yo:

-makes his bed

-brings down his laundry

-cleans his room

-empties the trash cans from around the house into a big trash bag

-takes out the trash, recycling, and compost bucket

-occasionally puts away laundry

-cleans up toys or whatever he gets out

-clears his own dishes after breakfast and lunch

-occasionally vacuums, as requested

My 9yo does those same things, except that she feeds the cats and empties the dishwasher instead of doing the trash and taking stuff outside.

They both have the option to vacuum, sweep, fold laundry, or clean a bathroom in order to earn extra privileges. I want to get them more involved in helping with dinner prep and cleanup, though. They are also both great at helping with the small boys (hold the baby while I shower, get the 3yo's shoes and sweatshirt on him if we're going out, etc.).

The single biggest thing about keeping the house tidied and the kids' stuff picked up: do it daily. One day's mess is not so much, and when they can see it easily, even the 3yo can do a decent job of tidying. If stuff's been sitting for several days or a week, it's way harder to keep tidy.

We are using Accountable Kids (I have the book and made our own chore board / cards). I'm working on allowing NO screen time to ANYONE (adult or child) unless the house is presentable.

As soon as I can afford it, we will do the dime cups I read about here. (Each person has a cup with 20 dimes. Everytime they put away someone else item, they take a dime from that person's cup. The dimes are distributed every 2 weeks, kids/adult get to spend/keep what they had, and the cups are reset.)

DS9

AM - personal Bible, shower, make bed, brush teeth, animal care (ducks & chickens), house chore (clean mirror/doorknob/light switch, swish toilet, wipe outside of toilet & sink/counter, quickly sweep floor), memory box (scripture & poetry)

DAY - piano, independent reading, workboxes, pick-up

PM - hot spot (from FlyLady - working on them SEEING an area that needs work), brush/floss teeth, pajamas, laundry (not on the floor...), story & prayers

DS7

AM - shower, make bed, brush teeth, animal care (help mom with ponies), house chore (unload/reload dishwasher), memory box

DAY - piano, independent reading, workboxes, pick-up

PM - hot spot, brush/floss teeth, pajamas, laundry, story & prayers

DS5

AM - make bed, animal care (ferret & cats), house chore (take out trash), memory box

DAY - piano, workboxes, pick-up

PM - bath, pajamas, laundry, story & prayers

The AK system helps a lot. My DS9 is doing great on Piano (DS7 needs me to sit with him more, DS5 is mainly for fun), my bathroom is clean, we are more likely to have clean dishes, we do prayers every night and usually a story.

I bought Bootcamp for Lousy Housekeepers for myself. I'll add in the weekly stuff as paid chores after the holidays. I'm trying to be more strict on the after dinner cleanup with everyone helping.

Great thread!

We have permanent jobs here. dh always fixes the cars. Miss Good always takes care of the animals. Mr Clever always cleans the kitchen. Miss Beautiful always cleans the den and gets the littlest girls dressed. Miss Good always gets Miss Happy to sleep and I always...I always.....well, I'm sure I do something.

I pay my older 2 to be mother's helpers. This means they do dishes, clean bathrooms upon request (I help), take our trash, babysit upon request, pour drinks for little ones, and do other chores here and there upon request (raking leaves, etc.).

Everyone makes their own bed, keeps their floors clear/ picked up, helps put away laundry, and helps pick up upon request.

They put their own dishes in the sink after scraping them and put their own clothes in the dirty laundry.

hth!

I once had lots of rules and a chore chart, but now my kids are 6-11. My one rule is to respect others, and that basically takes care of everything. The kids are to clean up after themselves and do whatever needs to be done. We deep clean the bathrooms once a week, and everyone picks one thing to do in each bathroom, but that is about as close as we get to assigned chores now. It took a while, but now everyone works together to keep the house clean and the relationships strong. The teen years have not hit, so I don't know what I will say in a few years. :D

Behavioral Rules:

Rule #1- Listen

Rule #2- Gentle hands and feet

Rule #3- No running off

Rule #4- Use kind words

Rule #5- Be respectful

Rule #6- Be honest

Rule #7- Be responsible

Each year of life we add a rule up until age 7; from age 7 on it is just a broadening of the definition of respectful, honesty and responsible.

Everyone does certain chores because they live here, too. Everyone eats meals, so everyone is involved with prep and clean up; little kids help set the table, next age up help clear and clean table and floor, next age up do dishes, next age up cleans stove and counters, someone also has to cook, as well as prep for cooking.

I apply the same principle to laundry, if you are old enough to walk you've got a part to play in the circle of laundry. Here is our laundry progression:

putting clothes in dirty clothes basket

matching socks

folding washcloths

folding underthings

folding napkins

bringing out clothing

putting away clothing

folding towels

hanging and folding your own clothes*

washing clothing

ironing clothing

Bedrooms are the responsibility if the people who sleep in them, only those too short to push the vacuum or dust the top of the dresser get a pass. Toys are also your responsibility if you are old enough to tell me what is yours. (When you are 2/3 I'll still pick up with you, when you are 4/5 I'll guide you as you clean, when you are 6/older you do not want me involved cuz someone will lose a toy! :tongue_smilie: )

Animals are in two groups, family and individual. We have family dogs and a cat that everyone helps care for; someone handles food for the dogs, another handles food and water for the cat, someone is on poop duty until they graduate to a better task, someone gives the cat hairball meds,, and someone makes sure it all actually happened. The kids individual pets are all on them, even though I still act as supervisor.

Beyond that:

If you mess it up, clean it up.

If you get it out, put it away.

If you complain or mouth off about it, it will become your new job. **

And never, never, NEVER, say you are bored or you will be given a new appreciation for how much more then your few chores it takes to run this household.

*DS9 has worked his way up to this step; my goal is to have him to the final step before he is old enough to drive. :001_smile:

** DS9 learned this the hard way when I asked him to be more careful with how he spit out toothpaste, and he told me he wasn't worried about it b/c it was my job to clean the bath room. He has been the bathroom cleaner for almost a year now, and routinely gripes at how messy others are with the toothpaste. :D

This is a tangent, but in case it helps:

A few weeks ago I began using my ical calendar to track our chores. Each kid has a color assigned so their chores show up on our calendar in their color font. In ical you can turn off and on each kid's calendar so they can look at just their own or I can see all or any combo. Then I set each chore to have a set recurrence so they'd appear throughout the calendar as needed. Then I gave the kids till 9am to get them done. Any not completed by then must be done and checked by me after school before they can play. They get detention time added for all done poorly. Things are running so smoothly now! I have been refining it. And I added a color for after dinner chores so we all get them done together. Every time I notice something not clean now, I search for it in the calendar and make it recur more often if needed or add it if needed. HTH! (I'd share our lists, but I don't know how to copy them from a calendar.) I got them all online to start with.

Mama is the mama, not the maid.

This is what I'm looking to move toward. :)

Bootcamp for Lousy Housekeepers

LOVE the title! If only you knew how appropriate it is for this thread! DH's deployment will end soon and we've been discussing the need for Baby Bootcamp! The reason for the revolution is my typical deployment housekeeping/parenting progression from having it reasonably together to a general state of who gives a rat. :lol:

Thanks to you all for your input. My kids currently have chores and the house is not in total chaos but my youngest is coming up on 6 and I'm coming up on being done with having to nag and cajole to get things done. That's just where we all are. No one wants to do anything. There is no motivation. So, Baby Bootcamp is on!

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Everyone participates daily in general "clean up the family room, dining room and living room.

Daily they all clean up their rooms, and help with laundry.

Otherwise:

Daily:

6yo:

helps unload dishes

loads dinner dishes

sets the table (silverware only)

wipes counter and toilet seat in one bathroom

"makes" bed

weekly:

water plants

sweeps stairs

puts TP in bathrooms

8yo:

helps unload dishes

loads breakfast dishes

wipes down counter and toilet seat in one bathroom

hand washes dinner dishes

weekly:

wipes appliances

cleans out van

brings down small trash cans from around the house

11 yo:

loads lunch dishes

sweeps kitchen, dining room and foyer

wipes down counter and toilet seat in one bathroom

feeds cat and scoops litter

weekly:

recycling

changes litter

I also clean in zones (ala Flylady) so each week they may have one or two "special missions" related to the zone. (Cleaning under toy bins or under family room couch, straightening the shoe closet or art center, etc.)

HTH,

Youngest dd is the only child left in the house. We didn't want to load her up with too much work just because the others left home already. So here is her list:

Trash and recycling

does her own laundry

Clears dinner table

sets dinner table (some nights)

helps with yard work (gets paid for this)

pool maintenance during pool season (only gets paid if water is cold)

taking things up or down from the attic (seasonally)

and that is it. She also helps out at times when we do a bigger clean-up of the house.

We have morning job time right after breakfast and these are the things that get done.

Everyone makes their own bed.

Ds6: empty dishwasher before breakfast. Take out rubbish and recycling.

Dd9: clear and wipe table. Dry up dishes if necessary.

The older 4 kids rotate the following jobs week-about:

1. Clean kitchen, wash up any dishes that didn't make the dishwasher.

2. Tidy and vacuum living area floors: lounge, kitchen, dining, and entry.

3. Wipe down bathroom and toilets. Make sure upstairs dirty laundry gets taken down to basket in laundry

4. Hang out load/s of washing. Do folding if nothing to hang out.

After lunch, dd11, dd9 and ds7 do lunch dishes and clean kitchen. The others do whatever job I need done on that day - like maybe a room rescue in an area that has got out of control, or vacuuming in a different area of the house.

After dinner, 3 older kids are on kitchen duty.

Usually, one of the kids will cook dinner as well. They love to cook so this is not much of a chore for them.