Menu

A teacher and Santa

LOL

Maybe this didn't happen on this board, but once I recall a very heated and nasty discussion about who likes Miracle Whip or not.

I wasn't aware that Miracle Whip was subject of internet flame wars, but we do keep a small jar for guests who prefer MW or equate MW with mayonnaise.

We don't have any Miracle whip or mayonaisse in our house. I just realized that we had a party at our house last night and among other things, we had ham and rolls. We left out mustard for everyone (I don't eat mustard but my dh does and I recognize that others do too). It never even crossed my mind to buy some MW or mayo. But even now, I probably wouldn't have done it. I get queazy even thinking about the stuff,

With regards to Santa, I think the teacher didn't act appropriately. We didn't do Santa at our house and also since my kids were widely spaced, none of the make believe stuff lasted very long by the third kid. We followed the tradition of my family that the kids go out looking for the first star on Christmas Eve and then the parent who didn't go out brings in presents from the angels We also opened presents on Christmas Eve. There were no problems for me when I found out- probably around age 5. There were no problems for my kids. Even though they are now adults and teens, they still like to go out and look for the first star.

The article doesn't say (at least I didn't notice) exactly what the teacher said to the class. She could very well have said "that is what some people believe" and responded to further questioning by saying she didn't believe it. At that point, recess and lunch become a time where the kids who know Santa isn't real badger the kids who still believe. Guess who wins the argument because teacher already said what she thought?

The teacher has a duty to teach what is known about the North Pole. There is nothing wrong with a 7 or 8 year old knowing this.

Honestly, the parents seem to be more concerned about this than some of the health education material that's presented in school now. There's something wrong with that.

I feel empathy for traditional school teachers when parents are calling for apologies and possibly supsensions and firings over spontaneous minor mistakes like saying there is no Santa in a geography class. Constantly being under microscope may actually render them nervous, and, thus, more likely to bumble.

Edited by annandatje

Uh - when my kids, at about the age of 9 or 10, decided they no longer believed in Santa, they were not disappointed. They have fond memories, look back on it with a smile. They are still both glad to do that with them. Their cousins never believed, and my kids just don't get it.

Dealing with consequences??? What consequences? It was fun. We still play at it - Santa still comes and brings stockings - and it is still fun.

I think it is wrong of anyone -relative, teacher, stranger- to take the fun of the Santa myth from parents. It only lasts a few years and I've never met one of those bitter,disappointed, "my parents lied to me" people everyone is so convinced is the outcome.

I also want to add that there are MANY teachers who think most religious are as mythically based at Santa is. I'll bet many would be very angry if the teacher felt she shouldn't "lie" about the Jesus myth - or the God myth - to her students as she tried to set them straight in a middle eastern geography class.....

This is not my opinion, I'm just using it as an example as to why it shouldn't be something a teacher takes upon him or herself at all.

Well said.

LOL

Maybe this didn't happen on this board, but once I recall a very heated and nasty discussion about who likes Miracle Whip or not.

It might have been. I seem to recall something about that. Then again, I could be confusing it with the butter v. margarine debate. After some of those posts, I felt kind of shamed when I opened my refrigerator door! And then I calculated WW pts. for both, and decided I would stick with my margarine because dry toast is just stupid. :D

If the teacher is a young and not yet a parent, she (or he) might not have realized what a controversial topic this is.

I do agree, from what the article said, that the teacher could have side stepped the issue. Apparently the children said they know where the North Pole is because that's where Santa lived. She could have smiled wryly and gone right on with her presentation without confirming or denying that. Or she could have said something like, "Yes, that's what all the stories say."

The way the article reported it, the children did not come right out and say, "Is Santa really real?" That might have been more difficult to side step.

But as I said, if the teacher is young -- well, we're a non-Santa family, and I'm not sure I knew what a big deal the whole Santa story was before I started reading these boards.

If the teacher is a young and not yet a parent, she (or he) might not have realized what a controversial topic this is.

I do agree, from what the article said, that the teacher could have side stepped the issue. Apparently the children said they know where the North Pole is because that's where Santa lived. She could have smiled wryly and gone right on with her presentation without confirming or denying that. Or she could have said something like, "Yes, that's what all the stories say."

The way the article reported it, the children did not come right out and say, "Is Santa really real?" That might have been more difficult to side step.

But as I said, if the teacher is young -- well, we're a non-Santa family, and I'm not sure I knew what a big deal the whole Santa story was before I started reading these boards.

I just googled more on the story. She is 58!

We did "do" Santa when the children were younger, but I personally do not have a problem with others who are insistent upon telling what they view as the truth when a parental talk with child can clear up the matter.

To clarify, for us, "doing" Santa was acknowledging to children that it was a fun pretend game.