Menu

Since when does a curriculum company call you after you look around on their website?

I was looking around yesterday looking for some grammar ideas for ds1st for next year. He has some SN so I want to look at all kinds of different programs and see what I think would work best for him and his needs. So I was on a website that asked for my info but I didn't put any info in. Nothing. How on earth did they just call me??? How did they

1) Know who I am and

2) CALL my cell phone?????

I didn't enter in ANY information.. NONE. I looked at the English- looked at the 1st and 2nd grade TOC to see where I thought he would be placed if I went with them and looked for samples. That is it. Nothing more. :confused:

Not only does this irritate me and now I will NOT be using their program but this freaks me out completely that somehow they were able to find out who I am and get my phone number with 0 information entered by me. NONE

Yes it was. I have looked on the Horizons website alot and never had them do this. I was on the LifePac website yesterday though looking to see if the English might be what ds needs. The phone call was enough to tell me that's not what he needs :glare:

How on earth do they get enough info about you to be able to call you just by browsing their website???

I have had that happen too. I told them I did not request information from them and I didn't know how they got my number. The man acted surprised. I told them to remove me from their lists and ended the call. I do not remember giving them any of my information.

This is just my own conjecture... but it is theoretically possible:

If the site you were looking at has partnered with a site you've bought from in past (you may have opted into the partnership by checking a checkbox when you had to to buy a product or receive a free trial or information), the partner site could, conceivably, have stored a cookie on your computer that was traceable to your information on the original site (where you DID buy or provide info).

Most companies have a privacy policy that precludes this type of information sharing without your consent, but sometimes, you accidentally tick one of those boxes that says, "may we share your information with one of our highly ethical trusted partners?" and then you're toast.

More about cookies. (and more)

I was looking around yesterday looking for some grammar ideas for ds1st for next year. He has some SN so I want to look at all kinds of different programs and see what I think would work best for him and his needs. So I was on a website that asked for my info but I didn't put any info in. Nothing. How on earth did they just call me??? How did they

1) Know who I am and

2) CALL my cell phone?????

I didn't enter in ANY information.. NONE. I looked at the English- looked at the 1st and 2nd grade TOC to see where I thought he would be placed if I went with them and looked for samples. That is it. Nothing more. :confused:

Not only does this irritate me and now I will NOT be using their program but this freaks me out completely that somehow they were able to find out who I am and get my phone number with 0 information entered by me. NONE

Was this Alpha and Omega? Same thing happened to me. I never gave them any informaton either. I will not be buying from them.

I wonder if this is a new thing, because I used to visit their website quite often and never had anyone call me. (I am on their mailing list, but I signed up for that.)

I think it's creepy that they would call you just because you paid a quick visit to their website. I'm sure they'd say it was because they wanted to be helpful, but I think it's invasive. :ack2:

If enough people respond negatively to their calls, perhaps they will reconsider this type of marketing. I think that anyone who was called, should call or email the Powers that Be over at Alpha Omega and let them know what you think of the calls. Telling the rep may not help, because if AO stops calling people, the reps could lose their jobs, so they may not be too quick to tell their bosses that people are getting angry about the calls.

Dh says that they are probably using aggressive data mining techniques - compiling databases from offline sources and combining that with info gleaned online - and some people's internet security is loose enough to provide them with enough info to connect the dots. If you have your name stored unprotected in your browser, then they can get that when you surf and look up your phone number if it's listed. Ditto for email, geographical location, browser, operating system - they can legally query your browser for that sort of info, and get it if you don't have it protected enough.

ETA: I am sorely tempted to go to that site and see if they call me as a check of my internet security.

Edited by forty-two

My husband cleaned up my computer and he deleted over a hundred tracking cookies!!! Not just cookies--tracking cookies that watch where websites I visit. I thought that was yucky. But I've never had anyone call me. Which is creepier, the people who track you without telling you, or the ones who call you and let you know you've been tracked? Or is this all so very creepy that I should get off the internet right now and never return???? (Ha! Like that's gonna happen! :lol:)

If they call, tell them you visited their site because you heard their materials really suck. You had to see for yourself, and after visiting their site you have decided they do indeed suck.

Then ask to be put on their do not call list.

I'd think something like "I was considering your curriculum, but I find this type of marketing creepy and intrusive and don't wish to support a company that engages in such practices" would be more effective, though possibly not as satisfying.

In some ways it's a good wake-up call. What companies are similarly collating information but using it in a less blatant fashion?

(Did anyone else go browse their website for the sole purpose of seeing if they call?)

I'd think something like "I was considering your curriculum, but I find this type of marketing creepy and intrusive and don't wish to support a company that engages in such practices" would be more effective, though possibly not as satisfying.

Agreed!

Companies are becoming increasingly aggressive in mining data from users. One of the new interesting technologies allows companies to collect data that you enter into the site, but *decide against* providing. For example, if you are shopping for a new computer and you enter contact information in a form, but then decide against being contacted (say you back out of the form or close your browser), you may be called or contacted based on the information you typed in, even if you didn't push enter. And this is even if you do have good computer security.

I was looking for rugs a few weeks back on Overstock, specifically purple rugs. I didn't enter any information, or purchase anything. The next day I was looking on a few other unrelated websites, and up popped the rugs I looked at the day earlier. It was a good reminder to clean out the persistent cookies on my browser. Unfortunately, it is increasingly impossible to remain anonymous online.

I've not had this happen, but...I asked for info last summer and since then a lady from there has tried to contact me several times. :glare: A funny came from this, however. The first time she left me a message, I had just installed an app on my phone that "reads" my voicemails to me though it's not very good since voice recognition transcribing technology has a long way to go. Her message came through as.."Hello, this is Julie from Hell...". :lol:

That is terribly annoying and definitely overstepping, imo. The odd thing is that I've ordered from them twice, and they've never called me for any reason. Maybe they only call people who don't want their products. :001_rolleyes:

I wonder if it makes a difference if you are on the National Do Not Call Registry? Between that and keeping my number unlisted, I have a very quiet phone.

Companies are becoming increasingly aggressive in mining data from users. One of the new interesting technologies allows companies to collect data that you enter into the site, but *decide against* providing. For example, if you are shopping for a new computer and you enter contact information in a form, but then decide against being contacted (say you back out of the form or close your browser), you may be called or contacted based on the information you typed in, even if you didn't push enter. And this is even if you do have good computer security.

I was looking for rugs a few weeks back on Overstock, specifically purple rugs. I didn't enter any information, or purchase anything. The next day I was looking on a few other unrelated websites, and up popped the rugs I looked at the day earlier. It was a good reminder to clean out the persistent cookies on my browser. Unfortunately, it is increasingly impossible to remain anonymous online.

Something like this happened to me too. I wanted to order a product from a company but the shipping charge was ridiculous (and of course they don't show you the shipping total until you enter a bunch of information). So I emailed them and asked them about it...and they sent me a Paypal invoice for the item with the correct shipping charge--but they sent it to the email linked to my PP account, which was NOT the email address I emailed them from. And the ONLY way they could have gotten that email address was putting two and two together from the info I'd entered when trying to purchase the product, because I never gave them that email address. It was creepy.

Whatever happened to ethical business practices? All this information collection is overstepping the bounds IMO.

If they call, tell them you visited their site because you heard their materials really suck. You had to see for yourself, and after visiting their site you have decided they do indeed suck.

Then ask to be put on their do not call list.

I love that response - must use it sometime!

But seriously, this is really creepy. I would never even think of doing such a thing - very weird. And unethical.

Maybe I should browse their site, and see if they'll place a call to Australia?

Then again, they'd probably call at 2 or 3am (had that happen before, with other companies), so best not to, I guess....

It is really easy to figure out who went to your website. You're never really anonymous online. :-)

But no other curriculum company so actively stalks viewers.

I only had something similar happen once, when I accidentally clicked on a website about real estate in India (which I have zero interest in), and the next day I got an email. Never heard from them again, though, and definitely no phone calls!

Just a reminder to:

1) check your security settings: should be cookies to originating ONLY

2) purge cookies and history at LEAST weekly (better daily). We can gather 500+ cookies per week!!!

3) reboot your modem at least weekly, if not daily, or issue the command to get a new IP lease. Otherwise you may always be browsing from the same IP and they DO track that.

4) be choosey about sharing your "location" data. SOme apps work better, but rarely is it needed.

and most importantly,

5) never forget the internet is NOT really anonymous. ever.

WRT #2: there are tricks were you can keep a cookie file that has just the folks you WANT to have cookies (banks, maybe FB or forums) so you don't have to re-login. then set a script to overwrite your current cookie file with your default minimalist file every night. It's easy to do with ical on a mac, and should be not to tough on a PC, tho I haven't even used Win7.

Just a reminder to:

1) check your security settings: should be cookies to originating ONLY

2) purge cookies and history at LEAST weekly (better daily). We can gather 500+ cookies per week!!!

3) reboot your modem at least weekly, if not daily, or issue the command to get a new IP lease. Otherwise you may always be browsing from the same IP and they DO track that.

4) be choosey about sharing your "location" data. SOme apps work better, but rarely is it needed.

and most importantly,

5) never forget the internet is NOT really anonymous. ever.

WRT #2: there are tricks were you can keep a cookie file that has just the folks you WANT to have cookies (banks, maybe FB or forums) so you don't have to re-login. then set a script to overwrite your current cookie file with your default minimalist file every night. It's easy to do with ical on a mac, and should be not to tough on a PC, tho I haven't even used Win7.

:iagree: IOW, block third-party cookies. Here's how: http://www.bobulous.org.uk/misc/third-party-cookies.html