Menu

Help please. Severe teenage insomnia??

her insomnia is so bad she will be up till 3AM. around 1AM she'll start having anxiety attacks about *not* falling asleep. trust me, i've tried everything i can think of-including sleeping in her bed.

last night i told her i was giving her benedryl and she refused it, saying it may keep her awake.

i know some of it is anxiety, some of it is hormones-but what can i do?:confused:

:iagree:

See her doctor. My ds started doing the same sort of thing. It lasted quite a while but became MUCH worse after he had surgery. Took him to the doctor for all the other symptoms he was experiencing - headaches, fevers, body aches, etc - and he recommended melatonin. It worked wonders. We're currently trying to wean him off of it though. Now, I think he's addicted to them for sleep. But, it was better than the alternative.

Can someone tell me how much melatonin to use and when to take it? Dd goes through bouts of insomnia and it throws her sleep cycle totally off. Usually it's worse right about now- nearing the end of a semester.

Also, do you take it every day or just when needed?

We follow the directions on the bottle. One tablet 30 minutes before she wants to go to sleep.

It's really important to choose a bedtime and stick to it, too.

Oh! And I found that 30 minutes of moderate morning exercise has nearly eliminated my own insomnia. It's hard to work it in, but it has paid off tremendously.

Cat

melation!!!!

it is a life saver here

for my 6yo and for me and DH.

it really helps shut off the brain -- the issue all 3 of us have even if our body is litteraly dropping

it is OTC and a life saver

3 mg or 5 mg is a normal dose -- though I have had a dev ped tell me even DS1 (6 now) can take a lot more.

start with 3 mg -- if she is not falling asleep in 45 minutes I'd take another 3 mg and so on ....

Our PhD and Dev Ped both suggested useing it for 2 or 3 week soild to "reset" the body clock -- ie get him used to going to sleep at a normal time and not mid night or 1 am for a 4 year old ... then to feel free to use it as needed or daily -- again as needed i guess.

my 6 year old takes it every night and has since 2 -- I take it 3 or 4 nights a week, DH takes it "PRN" and I bet only 1 or 2x a week .... it is really whatever you need.

for you teen I'd suggest taking it for a few weeks to get her "sleep healthy' again (one good night sleep is not going to be enough) and help her get back in a good routine. Since it seems like her sleep issues are stress related she can (you can plan) for her to take it when she knows stress is comeing up -- to prevent getting in a hole. I take it, no matter how i feel, the 2 or 3 nights before travle and evey night we travle so i am not 'caught' at 2 am going though packing lists or panicing about DSs and the in laws -- preventive measure you could say.

Melatonin is a lifesaver here, too! Two teenage boys, my dh and I all use it. Start with the 3 mg dose, not the 5. I find the 5 too much. I take it one hour before bedtime and fall asleep pretty quickly at that point. Try to get your child to shut off all electronics an hour before bedtime and read in bed with a low light or take a bath - something soothing to tell her body it's time to wind down, too.

My oldest son was really suffering before he started with the melatonin. It's great and my doctor was fine with him/us taking it.

See the doctor. I have heard melatonin can help, but also that it can couse more vivid dreams.

Beyond that, try some home talk therapy. My dad always said not to worry about it, just read if you can't sleep. Get up and stay up all the next day. Usually, the next night you'll sleep. Part of the key to that working, however, is being truly philosophical and not anxious about it. I have expressed the same philosophy to my often insomniac teenage aspie. He's been staying up all night reading at least one a week since he was 9 or 10. Laying awake in bed staring at the ceiling is bad for mental health, so I never enforce lights out for him, and will give the others a pass if they truly can't sleep.

Sadly, this system is less sucessful for me than it has been for my kids. I can't get past the anxiety over what I need to do the next day and end up taking some kind of sleep-aid to fall asleep.

oh yes, i know about melatonin as i take it!

i take it sublingually and my dosage is 10mg.

it just seems so....not right?....to give it to her-like i'm drugging her or teaching her to use something to get to sleep.

ugh, i'm so out of this world exhausted i'm probably not thinking clearly.;)

benedryl is a drug-and i did offer to give that to her-melatonin is natural....

For teens (and adults) if you sleep late, then it is difficult to go to bed at a decent hour. You need to be up 15-16 hours to be able to go to sleep. Have you tried getting her up early, then not letting her sleep until bedtime? It makes for some miserable days, but eventually works for us.

it just seems so....not right?....to give it to her-like i'm drugging her or teaching her to use something to get to sleep.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dd's pediatrician recommended it for her when she was 7? 8? I think it's perfectly fine, but I know what you mean because I felt the same way. Give it a go and see if it helps.

Cat

See the doctor. I have heard melatonin can help, but also that it can couse more vivid dreams.

my experience with the vivid or bad dreams stopped when i started using it in lozenge form.

Beyond that, try some home talk therapy. My dad always said not to worry about it, just read if you can't sleep. Get up and stay up all the next day. Usually, the next night you'll sleep. Part of the key to that working, however, is being truly philosophical and not anxious about it. I have expressed the same philosophy to my often insomniac teenage aspie. He's been staying up all night reading at least one a week since he was 9 or 10. Laying awake in bed staring at the ceiling is bad for mental health, so I never enforce lights out for him, and will give the others a pass if they truly can't sleep.

i've tried all the above. she used to get to sleep by reading for 2-3 hrs, but when that stopped working for her, she begged to sleep on the couch in front of the tv-and she would fall asleep. i never should have started that. *i* can't sleep if i *don't* read myself to sleep.

Sadly, this system is less sucessful for me than it has been for my kids. I can't get past the anxiety over what I need to do the next day and end up taking some kind of sleep-aid to fall asleep.

:grouphug: above quoting...:grouphug:

For teens (and adults) if you sleep late, then it is difficult to go to bed at a decent hour. You need to be up 15-16 hours to be able to go to sleep. Have you tried getting her up early, then not letting her sleep until bedtime? It makes for some miserable days, but eventually works for us.

no, i haven't tried that as we all sleep in.:o dh teaches evening classes 2-3 nights a week, so we've adjusted our schedule to allow more dad time. maybe i shouldn't continue with this?

what i have done, is to be sure she's getting daily exercise.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My dd's pediatrician recommended it for her when she was 7? 8? I think it's perfectly fine, but I know what you mean because I felt the same way. Give it a go and see if it helps.

Cat

thanks so. much.:grouphug::grouphug:

. My dad always said not to worry about it, just read if you can't sleep. Get up and stay up all the next day. Usually, the next night you'll sleep. Part of the key to that working, however, is being truly philosophical and not anxious about it.

:iagree:

Worrying makes it worse.

Accepting the insomnia and getting up to do something productive is a good way to get rid of anxiety. Instead of laying in bed, get up and do some boring, mundane, necessary task. (If I can't sleep, at least I will have graded papers or a clean kitchen, YKWIM)?

Sometimes just a "reset" like this for an hour can make it easier to get back to sleep. Alternatively, just stay up and be tired the next evening.

I would also make sure she gets up early in the morning. If she sleeps late, she may not be tired enough. If somebody who gets up at 6am goes to bed at 10pm, that would be a normal kind of day, 16 hours of awake time. If the person sleeps till 10am, she would not be sleepy before 2am. Get her up early so she is tired at an earlier time.

I would also look into how much exercise she gets. After being physically exhausted through vigorous exertion, sleep will be much easier. Just don't have her exercise immediately before bed, afternoons are better.

Edited by regentrude

First and foremost, take her to the doctor for a full physical and blood testing. It's important to find out WHY she has insomnia.

For example, the cause of my insomnia and nightmares was actually anemia. Doesn't make a lot of sense because anemia leaves you so exhausted. However, my exhaustion was pushing me into the range of being badly overtired, and so I was suffering with exhaustion/sleep deprivation issues, one of which is insomnia. All the melatonin in the world would not have helped me--taking iron supplements straightened out my sleep in a miraculous way.

I offer that experience just to underscore the fact that there are so many causes for insomnia. Start by trying to figure out why this is happening, and then you will be able to address it more meaningfully.

Melatonin! I would start at a low dose though. It can cause lucid dreams in the beginning. Ds only takes 1/2 to 3/4 of a 1mg tablet. I give him this Sunday night through Thursday night, with the weekends off so he doesn’t build a tolerance to it. Melatonin is produced by the body, so I don’t feel like I’m drugging at all.

oh yes, i know about melatonin as i take it!

i take it sublingually and my dosage is 10mg.

ugh, i'm so out of this world exhausted i'm probably not thinking clearly.;)

benedryl is a drug-and i did offer to give that to her-melatonin is natural....

you are teaching her self-care.

the human body needs sleep

many of us can't sleep due to brain functions -- some times or all the time --

you are teaching her pro-active safe self care ...as opposed to "self medication" by drinking till you pass out, or something like that.

I'd rather teach my boys that it is fine to seek out the best care alternative when they need help -- i do NOT want them to think 'they are too strong to need" help.

I wish, wish wish my mom and dad had helped ME in this vay -- I have had the same sleep issues since 2nd grade .... I'd lay away till past 2 and have to get up at 7 ...and dad wonders why i was such a crabby child :glare: ....self care is importnat and part of self care is seeking the help our bodies need.

talking is nice, reading is nice, a hot bath is nice -- but for some people it simply is not that easy ...

hugs to you and you DD.

:Dalso be very careful with the idea of getting up to get something done since you are not sleeping --- DH tries that (too much) and then his brain really kicks in and he is off to the office at 3 am because he is "all up and awake".

I personally find if i "give in" to the not sleeping by doing something productive -- that jsut re-enages the 'on' button and then there is no change i am going to sleep -- it is starting over.

DH loves to say it works, but then he'll say "it should" and smile -- i know for a fact if he tells me "I can't sleep i am going to ... watch TV, check the computer..." it means he is up for teh day -- be it 1 am or 3am and then i am going to pay by living with the GRMPUS that afternoon --

brain behavior is in a big part chemical and there is only so far you can control the brain by force of will.

First and foremost, take her to the doctor for a full physical and blood testing. It's important to find out WHY she has insomnia.

For example, the cause of my insomnia and nightmares was actually anemia. Doesn't make a lot of sense because anemia leaves you so exhausted. However, my exhaustion was pushing me into the range of being badly overtired, and so I was suffering with exhaustion/sleep deprivation issues, one of which is insomnia. All the melatonin in the world would not have helped me--taking iron supplements straightened out my sleep in a miraculous way.

I offer that experience just to underscore the fact that there are so many causes for insomnia. Start by trying to figure out why this is happening, and then you will be able to address it more meaningfully.

thx. i am making an appt with my doctor for her(fired my dc's doc months ago) and he is very thorough, will check everything.

you are teaching her self-care.

the human body needs sleep

many of us can't sleep due to brain functions -- some times or all the time --

you are teaching her pro-active safe self care ...as opposed to "self medication" by drinking till you pass out, or something like that.

I'd rather teach my boys that it is fine to seek out the best care alternative when they need help -- i do NOT want them to think 'they are too strong to need" help.

I wish, wish wish my mom and dad had helped ME in this vay -- I have had the same sleep issues since 2nd grade .... I'd lay away till past 2 and have to get up at 7 ...and dad wonders why i was such a crabby child :glare: ....self care is importnat and part of self care is seeking the help our bodies need.

talking is nice, reading is nice, a hot bath is nice -- but for some people it simply is not that easy ...

hugs to you and you DD.

thanks for this.:grouphug::grouphug:

:Dalso be very careful with the idea of getting up to get something done since you are not sleeping --- DH tries that (too much) and then his brain really kicks in and he is off to the office at 3 am because he is "all up and awake".

I personally find if i "give in" to the not sleeping by doing something productive -- that jsut re-enages the 'on' button and then there is no change i am going to sleep -- it is starting over.

DH loves to say it works, but then he'll say "it should" and smile -- i know for a fact if he tells me "I can't sleep i am going to ... watch TV, check the computer..." it means he is up for teh day -- be it 1 am or 3am and then i am going to pay by living with the GRMPUS that afternoon --

brain behavior is in a big part chemical and there is only so far you can control the brain by force of will.

ita.:grouphug::grouphug: thx.

If she could get one night of good sleep it can break the insomnia cycle.

If I go more than two nights without sleeping - and I mean I really won't sleep more than 1-2 hours, via catnaps, all night...by the third night I take Unisom. Getting one long good rest breaks me out of the insomnia. For some reason the insomnia is like some sort of downhill runaway thing...once it gets rolling, it just keeps going. I will remain sleepless until I get really mentally off and then it gets ugly, and I still can't sleep. Breaking the cycle is really critical.

To keep the whole thing from starting, regular use of melatonin and a very regular sleep schedule can be helpful. But for a sleep crisis situation, it takes more than melatonin to get my brain to sleep.

If she could get one night of good sleep it can break the insomnia cycle.

If I go more than two nights without sleeping - and I mean I really won't sleep more than 1-2 hours, via catnaps, all night...by the third night I take Unisom. Getting one long good rest breaks me out of the insomnia. For some reason the insomnia is like some sort of downhill runaway thing...once it gets rolling, it just keeps going. I will remain sleepless until I get really mentally off and then it gets ugly, and I still can't sleep. Breaking the cycle is really critical.

To keep the whole thing from starting, regular use of melatonin and a very regular sleep schedule can be helpful. But for a sleep crisis situation, it takes more than melatonin to get my brain to sleep.

great advice! thank you. i called our pharmacist and she said it would be totally fine to give that or Tylenol PM to dd. same ingredients-antihistamine.

her sleep cycle will be off for the next 5 days as we head out of town for a LOT of excitement. should i give her BOTH melatonin and Tylenol PM/Unisom-or is that overkill?

great advice! thank you. i called our pharmacist and she said it would be totally fine to give that or Tylenol PM to dd. same ingredients-antihistamine.

her sleep cycle will be off for the next 5 days as we head out of town for a LOT of excitement. should i give her BOTH melatonin and Tylenol PM/Unisom-or is that overkill?

Definitely overkill. At the least check with a pharmacist or dr before combining drugs. However, Unisom is quite powerful, so I would not layer anything on top of that, especially in a teen's body.

Can someone tell me how much melatonin to use and when to take it? Dd goes through bouts of insomnia and it throws her sleep cycle totally off. Usually it's worse right about now- nearing the end of a semester.

Also, do you take it every day or just when needed?

the fact her sleep issues are cyclical with school, indicates alot of stress as opposed to an inadequate melatonin level (the body produces it.). Suggest she incorporate a stress relieving exercise regimine - yoga, pilaties, running, etc. something physical that will act as a stress reliever.

take it about 30 minutes before going to bed. For her age and size, I'd say probably start at about 2mg's, and go from there.

My son is 6 1/2, and takes 3mg's every night, prescribed by his naturopath. this child who wouldn't ever take pills, powders, or liquids, asked for it the next night, even though it was in pill form.

the fact her sleep issues are cyclical with school, indicates alot of stress as opposed to an inadequate melatonin level (the body produces it.).

The body produces it out of left over serotonin. If she has to get up early and eats as badly during semester as I tended to, it could still be a melatonin issue.

Rosie

• 2 weeks later...
Cass, how is your dd doing?

thanks for checking back!:grouphug:

we just returned from a trip during which i gave her tylenol pm. since we' ve been back home i've been giving her melatonin, which has helped. we're working on her bedtime routine ane getting plenty of exercise.

we'll see after a few weeks.