Menu

Email about Netflix/Walmart lawsuit?

Did anyone get an email, addressed to Netflix subscribers,

about a class action lawsuit against Netflix and Wal-mart.

Something about Wal-mart agreeing not to go into the DVD rental business, and Net-flix not offering new releases right away....from what I could get out of the email.

Netflix has not not settled yet, but Wal-mart has apparently. Any one who was a subscriber is automatically a member of the class action and can get a settlement from Wal-mart, which will likely be a gift card or check (and likely for a very small amount, few dollars). You just have to fill out an online form to get the settlement.

Is this fishy or legit? Did anyone else get it?

Did anyone get an email, addressed to Netflix subscribers,

about a class action lawsuit against Netflix and Wal-mart.

Something about Wal-mart agreeing not to go into the DVD rental business, and Net-flix not offering new releases right away....from what I could get out of the email.

Netflix has not not settled yet, but Wal-mart has apparently. Any one who was a subscriber is automatically a member of the class action and can get a settlement from Wal-mart, which will likely be a gift card or check (and likely for a very small amount, few dollars). You just have to fill out an online form to get the settlement.

Is this fishy or legit? Did anyone else get it?

I have not gotten an email, but it seems legit from what I found on various news sources.

Yes, got it. Just plain weird. I hate that my name was given out -- the email came to an email account that does not have my name attached, but they knew my name. Did I miss a Netflix privacy setting somewhere?

Netflix just gets worse and worse. And, to top it off I have noticed that they are dropping some titles. Things that were available are now "no longer available" -- not out of print, as they are on Amazon. Don't they get it that some people watch old movies, documentaries, foreign films -- not just blockbusters?

Okay, rant over.

I'd be very cautious, legit as the court case may be, the email be phishing...

in which they offer you the $, and you have to provide some sort of information about your account so they can send it to you.

For instance, I use paypal to pay netflix; what if I give my account information and the other party is able to somehow get my paypal information through my netflix account?

I guess the first thing to find out is, who's the email from and what are they asking you to do?

If they're asking you to click a link, is it a link to a walmart website? Wave your cursor over the link; if it doesn't have what you consider an appropriate address, they're probably phishing.

I'd treat it with a very cynical eye...

This sounds like phishing to me. There is a similar scam done on seniors about a bill to give people in a certain age bracket reimbursement for some social security issue. Yes, there was a bill in congress related to this but it didn't pass. But the phishing is phrased in a way to make it sound that if they give their info, the reimbursement will be received. Some also solicit fees.

Yes, got it. Just plain weird. I hate that my name was given out -- the email came to an email account that does not have my name attached, but they knew my name. Did I miss a Netflix privacy setting somewhere?

Netflix just gets worse and worse. And, to top it off I have noticed that they are dropping some titles. Things that were available are now "no longer available" -- not out of print, as they are on Amazon. Don't they get it that some people watch old movies, documentaries, foreign films -- not just blockbusters?

Okay, rant over.

The big production companies sign agreements with Netflix so that Netflix can rent, stream, and distribute their titles. When those agreements are up, they must be renegotiated. If they aren't, Netflix loses the ability to offer them.

Okay, rant over.

Some of the titles that are no longer available via streaming are because the agreement with the distributor (eg Sony, Disney, Fox) expired and was not renewed because the price was increased by the distributor or because the distributor was making agreements with other sites and not with Netflix.

When Netflix started streaming, they evidently got really good deals, because streaming wasn't seen as a big market. That has changed over the last few years.

Looking at my saved movies in the dvd queue, I wonder how many just didn't have that many copies in the Netflix system and were not replaced after being lost or damaged.