Menu

Occupy Wall Street wants homeschooling to be illegal

According to this website which I assume is the "official" one if there is such a thing. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate site for the group?

http://occupywallst.org/forum/proposed-list-of-ows-demands/

Darn it. I looked all over to verify before I posted and then right after I posted checked again and saw quite clearly that above the post in plain sight it says "not official." Sorry. I have been trying to figure out what the group wants and thought I'd found a reputable site. My apologies for not checking more carefully.

Edited by MSNative

Don't know. Do they think it's elitist? They seem to have a problem with things they deem elitist.

I think my edit cross posted with your post. The list I found looked official but very obviously was marked as not official. I have no idea if the group as a whole has agreed with the proposals. The comments are all over the board.

This is NOT a list of OWS demands. This is one radical guy's wacko list making the rounds on the Internet in an attempt to discredit the OWS movement. On the top it says that the content is user submitted and not an OWS statement.

Yep. Mea culpa. I had already edited my original post and responded to a previous poster to make sure that was known. No idea how I missed that. I plead allergies.

Yep. Mea culpa. I had already edited my original post and responded to a previous poster to make sure that was known. No idea how I missed that. I plead allergies.

Oh, don't worry, you're not the only one who thought it was real. I've seen the list before on another site, so I knew what was up :)

Oh, don't worry, you're not the only one who thought it was real. I've seen the list before on another site, so I knew what was up :)

Well, at least I'm not the only one. I hate that I got caught by that. It's like forwarding on an email without snopes-ing first.

Guest submarines

Even if this is not an actual demand at this time, it is not a far-fetched one. The more a goverment is involved in redistribution of wealth, the less personal freedoms there are, and the more control that government wants over the education.

:iagree:

I can't imagine why homeschooling would even be on most people's radar.

Yes the link DOES NOT represent the official position of the Occupy x or y but....

unions seem to have a great influence in this movement and one union in particular certainly does not like homeschooling, I do not think it a stretch to believe that there would be many in the movement who would see homeschooling outlawed.

Further, hsing IS elitist. Not in a sense that all hsers are blue-bloods or extraordinarily wealthy but rather because many of us put a very high value on education. This separates us from many others, perhaps even a large majority, who seem to place more value on other things.

This is NOT a list of OWS demands. This is one radical guy's wacko list making the rounds on the Internet in an attempt to discredit the OWS movement. On the top it says that the content is user submitted and not an OWS statement.

An example of that lovely word I heard when I was a kid, but not outside my family: a canard.

Even if this is not an actual demand at this time, it is not a far-fetched one. The more a goverment is involved in redistribution of wealth, the less personal freedoms there are, and the more control that government wants over the education.

And, of course, that's what the Occupy movement is about. Taking all the money away from those poor rich people and keeping it for ourselves. :rolleyes: After that, we'll go ahead and get rid of free speech and homeschooling and install the teachers unions as Caesar.

In Scotland, I didn't even have to inform the authorities that I was doing it.

Laura

This is one radical guy's wacko list making the rounds on the Internet in an attempt to discredit the OWS movement.

Well, except that there is a very-definite OWS person on YouTube saying the same thing...

In any event, what I find interesting is that, just when you think that the world understands that hsers are socio-politically diverse, the stereotypes rear their ugly heads. And those that espouse freedom still can't see parental freedoms.

And, of course, that's what the Occupy movement is about. Taking all the money away from those poor rich people and keeping it for ourselves. :rolleyes: After that, we'll go ahead and get rid of free speech and homeschooling and install the teachers unions as Caesar.

Please explain to me what OWS is about? I honestly don't know. Is there a list of demands somewhere?

In Scotland, I didn't even have to inform the authorities that I was doing it.

Laura

Canada has a redistributive nature yet homeschooling is legal.

Guest jinxmchue

lol! Damage control!

I'm not getting any further into this either, since it's so obviously political. But I'm sure anyone who wants more information about any current political movements could get a general overview by spending some time Googling.

This is the problem with a group like this, be they right, left or simply crazy. As there is no structure, no organization, no leadership, no caucus there is no means to determine what they want. You could spend hours looking online for their demands, (there are hundreds of interviews and blogs and lists; all different) you could view hundreds of photos of various placards held by their members and come away even more confused than before.

This is not a discussion of their political philosophy it is simply an aknowledgement that many of the protesters do not seem to know exactly what the group's goals are and as they do not know we certainly can not.

This is not a discussion of their political philosophy it is simply an aknowledgement that many of the protesters do not seem to know exactly what the group's goals are and as they do not know we certainly can not.

ITA, these people do not know exactly what they want. IMO they just want things to be easier across the board for the "common man" in general, and they want someone to be mad at. Successful corporate execs who earn a lot of money and have good accountants who know how to use the current tax laws to the most benefit are an easy target. But why are they not also going after professional athletes, movie stars, or highly paid lobbyists who are hired by the corporations to manipulate the legislative process ? I understand their frustration and sympathize with it. But this whole protest thing might have been more effective if they had some specific points of protest, or some clearly defined issues on which they want to see action.

I have a lot of friends who are passionately supportive of these protests. I will not discuss it with them. There is a lot of emotion behind it all. I don't agree or disagree; I just see the lack of organization. I find it sad that all this effort and energy may not have any real results. I am such a skeptic. I only see the whole thing as a source of catchphrases for the next crop of politicians to use in their campaign promises.

Edited by laundrycrisis