Menu

Williamsburg or Jamestown, or both?

We are headed to the Williamsburg area in a couple of weeks for our first trip there. Originally, I had planned one day at Colonial Williamsburg and second day at Jamestown/Yorktown. Unfortunate for my trip planning, but good for dd, her volleyball team made Middle School Tournament.

We now have to cut a day from our trip so she can play in the tournament and one of my Williamsburg area days is on the chopping block :tongue_smilie:.

If you just had one day in the area, would you go ONLY to Colonial Williamsburg, ONLY to Jamestown, --- or would you try and do BOTH knowing you also had to drive to DC that evening for lodging?

I really want to do both because I have no idea if we will ever be in the area again during our homeschool time together, but I do not know if it is possible. If it is possible, is one better to do in the a.m. than the other? Is one closer to DC than the other?

Thank you!

We now have to cut a day from our trip so she can play in the tournament and one of my Williamsburg area days is on the chopping block :tongue_smilie:.

If you just had one day in the area, would you go ONLY to Colonial Williamsburg, ONLY to Jamestown, --- or would you try and do BOTH knowing you also had to drive to DC that evening for lodging?

I really want to do both because I have no idea if we will ever be in the area again during our homeschool time together, but I do not know if it is possible. If it is possible, is one better to do in the a.m. than the other? Is one closer to DC than the other?

Thank you!

Totally Jamestown. I was very disappointed in Williamsburg; it was incredibly boring. We went to Jamestown the following year during homeschool days. It was 90+ degrees out, raining, and we still had a much better time. It's more manageable timewise, and there is a lot more to do. We also liked the mix of outdoor exhibits and the indoor museum. If it makes any difference, my kids were between 9 and 15 when we went to both places.

(Oh, and if you plan to eat at Williamsburg, bring an armored truck. It cost a small fortune even for just four of us.)

And congratulations to your dd!! It's a great town, and I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip!

Totally Jamestown. I was very disappointed in Williamsburg; it was incredibly boring. We went to Jamestown the following year during homeschool days. It was 90+ degrees out, raining, and we still had a much better time. It's more manageable timewise, and there is a lot more to do.

I was just about to say the opposite!

Totally Williamsburg. I think there's a whole lot more to do there. Jamestown was okay... but not amazing.

Totally Jamestown. I was very disappointed in Williamsburg; it was incredibly boring. We went to Jamestown the following year during homeschool days. It was 90+ degrees out, raining, and we still had a much better time. It's more manageable timewise, and there is a lot more to do. We also liked the mix of outdoor exhibits and the indoor museum. If it makes any difference, my kids were between 9 and 15 when we went to both places.

:iagree: There is a lot to do in W'burg if you are willing to pay an arm and a leg for Patriot Passes. Jamestown is a lot more reasonable, and really neat. We love it!

Only one? Williamsburg, although you really need more than one day. But you can still enjoy it. Be sure to check the schedule ahead of time so you can see any re-enactments.

We like to stroll along, taking as much time--or as little--as anyone wants to at each place. Very relaxed.

We like to do one meal at the Old Chickahominy House, which is just outside Colonial Williamsburg--you pass it on the way in. It's only open for breakfast and lunch, so you'd want to do breakfast. You can outside of Colonial Williamsburg for lunch, or just take snacks in with you and eat somewhere on your way to D.C. (like Ruby Tuesday).

Looks like you have a variety of answers here, but I'd say absolutely Williamsburg. It is pricey, but to me, well worth it. We went as a family years ago. We spent a full day and a half in Williamsburg, and a half day in Jamestown. Williamsburg made a huge impression on my children. They barely remember Jamestown.

Don't do both.

I see 3 options:

1. Jamestown Settlement and Jamestown National park service area (can't remember what that's called). Jamestown Settlement has reenactors for a Powhatan village, the fort and the ships. All well done and you can see all they've done. At the National Park you can see the archealogical dig, the church and glass blowing. Both locations have a video to watch at the beginning of the visit.

2. Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory center. You can get a discount ticket for these together. The living history portion at Yorktown Victory Center is smaller than Jamestown Settlement, but still good. You get a good feel for a revolutionary war encampment. The museum at Yorktown Victory Center is good--be sure to give yourself time to let each display go through the audio, I was really impressed with that portion.

3. Williamsburg only. The problem I have with Williamsburg in a day or less is you are likely to rush and not actually see, be disappointed and think it is a waste. If you do Williamsburg, plan the day carefully. Figure out the time and locations of the reenactments you want to see and what buildings would of most interest to you. If you have an energetic group, there's stuff scheduled from 9 or 10 am to 9pm . Some stuff you may like is not included on a regular ticket (ghost tours, carriage rides).

Option 1 or 2 will be cheaper than 3. You may be able to do both option 1 and 2 -- the last time I went I had a slightly sick child (bad cold) who has an obvious disability and it was a very hot day so we only did option 2 because my ds was in obvious melt down mode. The nice people at Yorktown Victory center saw my problem and offered me a wheelchair for the visit. I missed walking through the park though.

I'd do Williamsburg. You do need to buy the ticket to get into the buildings and see the presentations. If you just go to walk around, it is boring. If the price is too steep, then opt for the Jamestown state park with the ships and villages. It's a lot of fun and well done. You can easily spend several hours there exploring everything.

I'm in the area, They are all literally almost on top of each other.

Can you plan your days so that you can get into Billyburg a bit earlier mid afternoonish and spend some time then there, and then maybe some the next morning and then some of Jamestown

and yes you really need to think about do you want to see the REAL place or the reenactment places.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm so confuuuseeed!:lol:

It sounds as if both are good options and that everyone has a favorite. I think the kids and I will get online and look at the websites. This is definitely going to be a hard decision.

What are you studying for history, right now (Or right then)? Early colonization, go for Jamestown/Yorktown. Revolutionary War, go for Williamsburg.

You can do Williamsburg for free. It's not as good. You won't get as much out of it, but it can be done. There are a few buildings that don't require a ticket. Most do - the Governor's Palace does.

One day, we'd do Williamsburg and have lunch at the Cheese Shop on Duke of Gloucester Street in Merchant's Square. But that's what we always do. If I don't get dh his "dressing" while we are in the 'Burg, the trip wasn't worth going. :tongue_smilie:

We are on a crazy trip. Flying out from CO, one fast day at Walt Disney World (can't miss that), then driving to see family all the way up, zig zagging all the way up to DC.

The night before our Williamsburg day, we are actually staying with my cousin in Virginia Beach. We are driving over very early to get there by opening time, so we are not even in the area until that day. Then we have to drive to DC that night for our reservations there. We are not even going to be staying in the Williamsburg area now due to losing a day to the State volleyball tournament. I'm bummed about our missed day, but really feel that dd should not let down her team. (Also, it is important for her to experience it.)

We will definitely discuss the real vs. reenactment.

The day we are going to be there is a Sunday. Do you know if this will impact the reenactments or make one more desirable than the other?

What are you studying for history, right now (Or right then)? Early colonization, go for Jamestown/Yorktown. Revolutionary War, go for Williamsburg.

Ds is in World History, but dd is doing American History. She on the trail with Lewis and Clark right now, so she has finished BOTH time periods. No help there:lol:.

We are on a crazy trip. Flying out from CO, one fast day at Walt Disney World (can't miss that), then driving to see family all the way up, zig zagging all the way up to DC.

The night before our Williamsburg day, we are actually staying with my cousin in Virginia Beach. We are driving over very early to get there by opening time, so we are not even in the area until that day. Then we have to drive to DC that night for our reservations there. We are not even going to be staying in the Williamsburg area now due to losing a day to the State volleyball tournament. I'm bummed about our missed day, but really feel that dd should not let down her team. (Also, it is important for her to experience it.)

We will definitely discuss the real vs. reenactment.

The day we are going to be there is a Sunday. Do you know if this will impact the reenactments or make one more desirable than the other?

THAT Is crazy. Well I'll add something that will be historically fun to stop at. FT monroe, TODAY it was declared a national park.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/hampton/dp-nws-cp-fort-monroe-proclamation-20111101,0,6400748.story

It was the last moated fort in use. Abe Lincoln, Poe, Jefferson Davis, Harriet Tubman all spent time there.

I'd do Williamsburg. You do need to buy the ticket to get into the buildings and see the presentations. If you just go to walk around, it is boring. If the price is too steep, then opt for the Jamestown state park with the ships and villages. It's a lot of fun and well done. You can easily spend several hours there exploring everything.

We always buy the ticket so we can go inside for the presentations, but we also enjoy just walking around and have never found it boring at all. :-) Besides, there are re-enactments outside, as well, and they're scheduled, so you can arrange to be there when they start.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I'm so confuuuseeed!:lol:

It sounds as if both are good options and that everyone has a favorite. I think the kids and I will get online and look at the websites. This is definitely going to be a hard decision.

You know, with there being as many advocates for one as for the other, I'm thinking you could just flip a coin and go to whichever one wins. :)

Thank you all for your comments. My dh and kids have been amazed at the awesome recommendations.

I am leaning toward Jamestown in the a.m. and then walking through Williamsburg in the afternoon, getting cider and a snack. At least that way we will be able to see it.

My kids are CO kids. Other than a few forts here in CO, they just have not been exposed to the cool historical sites that I got to see growing up in GA. I think the Jamestown ships will be an especially big hit with them. Twice a year, we have an incredible homeschool group here that does Revolutionary War battle reenactments, plays, and they fill a huge field with different learning activities (candle dipping, wood working, musket ball making, music, etc.). We have gone every year for the past 5 years, so we have at least been exposed to how they did things back then.

Thank you again for your comments and recommendations. I wish we could "do it all", but alas, it is not to be.

THAT Is crazy. Well I'll add something that will be historically fun to stop at. FT monroe, TODAY it was declared a national park.

http://www.dailypress.com/news/hampton/dp-nws-cp-fort-monroe-proclamation-20111101,0,6400748.story

It was the last moated fort in use. Abe Lincoln, Poe, Jefferson Davis, Harriet Tubman all spent time there.

UUggg! That looks really cool, too!! We are also going to be driving right through St. Augustine and I want them to see that, too! UUgggg!

I live here and if it were me I would got to Jamestown. I have done both many times and we have yearly passes to Williamsburg. But with that said, if you go to Jamestown you can get both the Native American experience and the Settlers. When you enter the museum there are two outdoor exhibit areas. On one side is the Powhatan village where the kids can actually go inside and "be" a member of the village. There are many activities and the guides are interesting. But don't take the tour. Get out there in between times and you can have all of the hands on exhibits to yourself and the guides will talk your ear off about what each of them know. At the end is shoreline and you can go on a recreation of the ship and also has a guide to tell you about their voyage. Around the other side is the settler fort with the same set up. Then there is the museum with many exhibits to see that are too rare to be outside.

On the next driveway up is the glassblowing exhibit and they actually make the glass and blow it right in front of you.

Down the road is the actual Jamestown site where the archaeologists are still excavating.

The entire area is on the Colonial Parkway and the drive is in beautiful marsh. But getting on and off of the interstate isn't difficult.

Williamsburg is a great trip, but I don't think you can get more out of it in a day than you would in Jamestown. It is much more city because, well, it is in the center of a city. If you wanted after Jamestown you can follow the signs 12 miles to the Williamsburg Visitors Center and that is free and you can get maps and see some stuff inside. Colonial Williamsburg is just across from the Visitors center and if you park there, free, you could walk and see a few things without investing too much time or money. Check their website for the actual day you are coming to find out what time they are doing their re-enactments and if it fits your schedule.

As for eating, get out of Williamsburg or stick with the chains like Olive Garden or Red Lobster. (nothing is easy to find because you are on the parkway, but you can ask a local) The problem isn't just the cost of eating there but the food isn't as good on the off season. In the summer it can be worth the cost, but rarely in the fall or winter.

Since you're going on Sunday, how about attending Bruton Parish Church?

http://www.brutonparish.org/worship_schedule

The building is very pretty and very old. It would be a unique experience.

Then I'd have lunch at a tavern. I like the King's Arms best. Lunch is much less expensive than dinner and it's a classic thing to do in Williamsburg.

Check the Colonial Williamsburg schedule to see if they'll have the fife and drum parade because that is open to everyone without a ticket. The political reenactments were blocked off the last time I went 2 years ago. They cut of Duke of Gloucester several blocks from the State House and you can only get in with a ticket.

After lunch, I'd go to the Jamestown state park to see the ships and villages. They have reenactors showing you how both the English and Powhatans lived in the tidewater in the 17th century.

Enjoy your trip!

I like option 1 below - we were just there in September and we LOVED Jamestown. Willimsburg is great too, but if I had to pick one it would be Jamestown. Go to Williamsburg when you can spend at least two full days.

Don't do both.

I see 3 options:

1. Jamestown Settlement and Jamestown National park service area (can't remember what that's called). Jamestown Settlement has reenactors for a Powhatan village, the fort and the ships. All well done and you can see all they've done. At the National Park you can see the archealogical dig, the church and glass blowing. Both locations have a video to watch at the beginning of the visit.

2. Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory center. You can get a discount ticket for these together. The living history portion at Yorktown Victory Center is smaller than Jamestown Settlement, but still good. You get a good feel for a revolutionary war encampment. The museum at Yorktown Victory Center is good--be sure to give yourself time to let each display go through the audio, I was really impressed with that portion.

3. Williamsburg only. The problem I have with Williamsburg in a day or less is you are likely to rush and not actually see, be disappointed and think it is a waste. If you do Williamsburg, plan the day carefully. Figure out the time and locations of the reenactments you want to see and what buildings would of most interest to you. If you have an energetic group, there's stuff scheduled from 9 or 10 am to 9pm . Some stuff you may like is not included on a regular ticket (ghost tours, carriage rides).

Option 1 or 2 will be cheaper than 3. You may be able to do both option 1 and 2 -- the last time I went I had a slightly sick child (bad cold) who has an obvious disability and it was a very hot day so we only did option 2 because my ds was in obvious melt down mode. The nice people at Yorktown Victory center saw my problem and offered me a wheelchair for the visit. I missed walking through the park though.

You are ALL so awesome!!! Thank you for the replies! I am making a spreadsheet with all of the incredible tips. I know we are going to have a blast whatever we decide.

I have been so wrapped up with the details of getting ready that I haven't really thought about how much fun this is going to be. You have all helped me to get so excited about it now.

I just have to get us packed. :001_smile:

Leslie, we're from Colorado; my kids were both born there. We moved to VA four years ago. I'm the one that posted earlier that I didn't care at all for Wmsburg (and yes, we paid the full price) but that we much preferred Jamestown.

My kids had only seen the ocean from northern Washington state. THEY would tell you that if your kids haven't been to the beach much, they would suggest spending time at Virginia Beach instead of going to Williamsburg IF the weather is conducive to a beach day. We made an impromptu trip to Jamestown a few years ago, and while we were there, I asked them if there was anything else they wanted to see (thinking Yorktown or another museum). They asked for the beach, so we drove out to VA Beach early the next morning and spent a few hours there before turning back around and heading home ot the western part of the state. It was definitely one of THE best times I've EVER had with my kids (and we have quite a lot).

Just thought I'd throw that out there, since you mentioned you have Colorado kids--and too many choices already!

Normally I would say the beach would be the first choice here as well. Fortunately, we get to spend an afternoon with my cousin in the Jacksonville Beach area. Her daughter is a surfing instructor and we are hoping for a quick lesson if it isn't too cold. We are also planning a night in Savannah. (I grew up in the South Georgia/Okefenokee Swamp area and want to show the kids that area on the way up.)

Last year, we took a two week trip like this driving slowly and stopping to stay all the way up the Maine coast with lots of beach time. We stayed the longest at an adorable set of cabins north of Acadia. Then we blew back down and stayed several days in New York City. It was a blast of a trip. Except for the day at Walt Disney World, this is mainly a family visiting/educational trip.

By the way, it just started dumping snow on the CO Front Range. We may even get a foot tonight.

Agreeing with Betty's options.

Jamestown is cool, but not necessarily a full day, same for Yorktown, and they're close enough to do together.

Williamsburg, you'd want to stay the whole day, partly because there's definitely enough to see, and partly because admission is pricey, you might as well get all you can from it.

Since you're going on Sunday, how about attending Bruton Parish Church?

http://www.brutonparish.org/worship_schedule

The building is very pretty and very old. It would be a unique experience.

Then I'd have lunch at a tavern. I like the King's Arms best. Lunch is much less expensive than dinner and it's a classic thing to do in Williamsburg.

Check the Colonial Williamsburg schedule to see if they'll have the fife and drum parade because that is open to everyone without a ticket. The political reenactments were blocked off the last time I went 2 years ago. They cut of Duke of Gloucester several blocks from the State House and you can only get in with a ticket.

After lunch, I'd go to the Jamestown state park to see the ships and villages. They have reenactors showing you how both the English and Powhatans lived in the tidewater in the 17th century.

Enjoy your trip!

I will have to check the times if the service. So many cool things to do - so little time!!!! Thank you for the tips!