Menu

Kinect or Wii???

I searched, but all the threads on the topic that I could find were older and not applicable to my situation.

My kids are dd11 and ds7. Neither are big gamers at all. DD has an iTouch and plays a few games on it. DS plays a few games on the iTouch, but has a Nintendo DS that he picks up and will play for a long time, then put down and not touch it for weeks. But he only has 2 games so that might be why (it's a hand me down and we haven't really invested in games for him)...:tongue_smilie: Both will play and enjoy computer games like Webkinz, various games on friv.com, etc.

DH and I are NOT gamers at. all.

We want a gaming system both for the kids to enjoy, and maybe us too as a family, and also for streaming to our TV.

I thought Wii. But several friends suggested XBox Kinect. I know nothing about this. In reading older threads, it seems if you are hard-core gamers, like teen boys, then XBox is what you want. But for younger kids just to enjoy with friends and family - games like Mario and Just Dance, isn't the Wii just great? I know it needs controllers and the XBox doesn't. But even with that, the XBox system seems to be about $100 more expensive. I can get a deal at WalMart for the Wii, 3 controllers and 2 games for $199.

What do you think? Opinions on the choice are welcome. Particularly from those of you that have/have used both.

We have both. I vote Kinect.

No need for controllers is nice!

Fruit Ninja looks cool for the Kinect. There are also dance games for it and it's much nicer not using a floor mat.

Fruit Ninja is tons of fun. Just make sure you have enough room for it. I whacked DH with the back of my hand playing that game. Nasty bruise!

I asked dh's opinion and he said neither...get an iPad. :glare:

His logic is that it's easy for quick gaming, games are cheap, and it's multiple-purpose.

Depending on how you see using the system, he does have a point. We use the iPad far more than either system.

We got the Wii before the Kinect came out. We enjoy the Wii. My sister's family has Kinect. It is nice, too. It is nice that it doesn't have controllers.

I would probably go with Kinect if I had to pick today. I just think it is more the wave of the future.

If the extra money is a big issue though I do think the Wii would be fine. The reason we haven't gone to Kinect is because we have already invested in Wii games and don't want to have to start over with the Kinect games. The games are what really get expensive.

I think, but am not sure, that the Kinect will also play Blu-Ray. You might want to double check if that would be important for you.

We've got both too, but I don't have a lot of experience with the them.

I do know that if you were to get a Wii, I'd definitely recommend getting battery chargers. Trying to keep up with batteries and controllers makes me crazy. Which is what got me interested in the kinect.

There are more active games (and cheaper ones) for the Wii than the Kinect-- but of course there are tons of other Xbox 360 games.

So it is definitely a hard decision-- remote-free vs smaller game selection.

One thing to consider is that to stream netflix on an Xbox, you need an xbox live gold subscription... which runs about $50/year (here in Canada, maybe less in the US?) So a Wii would be cheaper in that sense, too.

We have an xbox kinect, and like it, but we like the wii when we play with friends, too. :)

Heather

We got both for Christmas last year (thank you Grandpas).

My son (6.5 prefers the wii, because we have more lego games for it and we only have one xbox controller and its in the basement so Mommy - who is well known to be anti-video games - is more likely to let him play it:tongue_smilie:)

I love the kinect. Everybody in the family likes it. It can be PE on snowy days. I love it and I hate vidoe games (I am no good with a controller). We watch netflix on it and I LOVE being able to say XBox pause, XBox play and not having to use the controller.

Price the games, too - are wii games cheaper than kinect, or the same?

We got a wii almost two years ago and it is used a lot, still (I have my exercise stuff and dds still do Just Dance games and Mario Cart). I was able to get an older, used x-box for $100 and we tried a couple games - the controller confuses me. BUT - my nephew may be giving us his Kinect in a few months - so I had to get an x-box thing to use the Kinect. I am hoping SillyAutismMan can use the Kinect - the x-box controller is too difficult for him to figure out (he still needs help with the wii!).

I think the biggest concern is price, I am seeing wii systems for less than $200, whereas the Kinect, since it needs and x-box, costs more up front.

If you do go wii - get a battery charger that the controllers set in when not in use.

Oh - and look for reviews of games on both systems. SillyAutismMan loves his Michael Jackson dance wii game - reviewers say it does not work as well on Kinect. I know there are some promising games coming out in the next few months for both systems - but won't buy any unless the reviews are good.

Edited by JFSinIL

Price the games, too - are wii games cheaper than kinect, or the same?

We got a wii almost two years ago and it is used a lot, still (I have my exercise stuff and dds still do Just Dance games and Mario Cart). I was able to get an older, used x-box for $100 and we tried a couple games - the controller confuses me. BUT - my nephew may be giving us his Kinect in a few months - so I had to get an x-box thing to use the Kinect. I am hoping SillyAutismMan can use the Kinect - the x-box controller is too difficult for him to figure out (he still needs help with the wii!).

I think the biggest concern is price, I am seeing wii systems for less than $200, whereas the Kinect, since it needs and x-box, costs more up front.

If you do go wii - get a battery charger that the controllers set in when not in use.

Oh - and look for reviews of games on both systems. SillyAutismMan loves his Michael Jackson dance wii game - reviewers say it does not work as well on Kinect. I know there are some promising games coming out in the next few months for both systems - but won't buy any unless the reviews are good.

Where do you get your reviews?:D

Thanks for the help on this! Turns out grandma wants to buy it so I think a Wii is more reasonable. I can get 3 controllers and 2 games with the system for less than $200. That's about grandmas budget. Then we can get each kid another game in their stocking. The kinect looks great but a lot more expensive.

Where do you get your reviews?:D

At Amazon, once games are out. I like Amazon because it is (mostly) folks who have actually bought and used the games, and though enough of them, or been ticked off by flaws enough, to post a review. Amazon reviews kept me from getting a KungFu Panda game for SillyAutismMan (he loves Po, but from the review I felt he would not be able to play the game ).

I searched the official Kinect site to learn of upcoming games for that system (as I noted, we may well be getting one from a nephew who isn't enjoying it all that much).

We have both and younger kids like the Wii and older the Xbox with the Kinect. Talking to someone at gamestop the other day and he said that Wii is being revamped and will come out with new system in spring. Will play old games but....My kids really like all the Mario games you can play with the Wii.

We have both and younger kids like the Wii and older the Xbox with the Kinect. Talking to someone at gamestop the other day and he said that Wii is being revamped and will come out with new system in spring. Will play old games but....My kids really like all the Mario games you can play with the Wii.

Thanks for letting me know! This kind of thing always happens to me! it complicates the decision because cost is still an issue.

Well just to flip that, I'm kind of glad there's a new Wii coming out next year. (There's already video of it if you google.) I figure that means the games are gonna come down in price. And while that $200 package is an ok deal, there are a LOT of used sets available and falling prices. I bought mine on amazon used, and a couple weeks later they were down another $20. I've bought almost all our games used too, with no problems. Just watch the reputation of the vendor.

Like the other poster, I dno't think we'll be interested in that new controller style on the new wii. It's like they're moving away from the fun family-oriented style of Wii and back into gaming, if that makes sense. With the ages of your kids, they'll probably enjoy the current wii just fine. My kids do. Even my 70-something inlaws do. And my father does. If you look at the games on amazon, most of them have video previews and screen shots, so you can get a better feel for them. Also the games have ratings.

I don't know if your 11 yo is into mysteries, but my dd is nutso for them. We LOVED Malgrave Incident. Guilty Party is good and Titanic. Now we've started Agatha Christie: Evil Under the Sun. There are some I Spy games for Wii I also want to try (Ultimate I Spy, etc.). You wouldn't think something like that would be so much fun, but it really is. Not mysteries, but Sports Resort and Mario Kart are just perennial favs here. My toddler enjoys Sports Resort. I'm looking at the Carnival Games next, which I think he also might be able to do.