Menu

Dumb question I should have asked last night

If it's fairly new you'll probably have to call up a local dealer and have the keys made. Our last car was old enough ('98) that our local hardware store could cut us a key but with chips and such nowadays that's generally not possible anymore.

:iagree: When we bought our 2005 Sienna we were told we needed to get any extra keys/remotes through a Toyota dealer because they have a computer chip in them to enable them to work.

If it's fairly new you'll probably have to call up a local dealer and have the keys made. Our last car was old enough ('98) that our local hardware store could cut us a key but with chips and such nowadays that's generally not possible anymore.

:iagree: When we bought our 2005 Sienna we were told we needed to get any extra keys/remotes through a Toyota dealer because they have a computer chip in them to enable them to work.

Yeah, and be prepare for a bit of sticker shock if you have to pay.

I'd contact the seller (was it private?) and ask for another key pronto.

There is one hardware store here that will cut keys with computer chips in them. They're certainly not cheap, but they are less expensive than the dealer. I might ask around to see if you have a place that will do them in your city... If you want a remote, I think you would have to contact the dealer.

Yeah, and be prepare for a bit of sticker shock if you have to pay.

I'd contact the seller (was it private?) and ask for another key pronto.

Except if the seller does not have another key, paying for it may be the only option.

My sister bought her van from a used car dealer and it came with only 1 key. They've managed with just one key for several years now because the cost of getting a second made is too much.

Except if the seller does not have another key, paying for it may be the only option.

My sister bought her van from a used car dealer and it came with only 1 key. They've managed with just one key for several years now because the cost of getting a second made is too much.

Yes. Indeed. You can't get blood from a stone and you can't get a key from someone who doesn't have one.

My point was to start with the seller before she looked elsewhere.

Holy Sticker Shock! I asked the Kia dealer about getting a new key for my van and it was going to cost $120 for a single key. To get another remote it was going to be another $80.

We've had the car 2.5 years with only one key and it will stay that way!

In our area, Walmart makes keys with chips. The price is $65.00. I was getting regular keys made for our house a couple of days ago. The customer in front of me was charged $65 for one key. I almost fell over thinking the price of keys had gone up so much. The employee laughed and explained the price was for a car key with a chip. It's still a lot of money but better than the cost at a dealership.

Ann

When we got the van (it's "new to us"), we got only one key and remote. We need at least two (though I'd think 3 was great).

How do we get another key and remote?

We went to a locksmith and got a key (they had to hook into the car's computer to set the chip) and a remote. It was over $100 less than the dealer wanted. I would shop around.

hth,

Georgia

We had the same problem when we bought our 2004 Sienna last year. The owner who traded it in lost the extra, so the dealer only had one. Dh, who is good at working deals, tried to talk them into giving us an extra, but didn't succeed. We still only have one. The dealer wants nearly $300 for a key and remote. You can get them online for much less. Check Amazon. I'm still trying to decide if that's the route we want to go. So far we're fine with one, but I'm always in fear of locking that one in the van.