Menu

So, who all will be using TOG2 in the fall?

profmom

Melissa's TOG1 thread gave me the idea, of course, but who all will be using TOG2 Redesigned with us in the fall? What levels & what extra TOG supplements will you be using? I'll have 1 UG & 1 D student and haven't decided on the extras yet (besides the maps -- I have those.)

I am planning TOG2 for the fall, but at half pace, so we will only be covering units 1 and 2. I will be doing a blend of LG and UG and since I will miss my recently-graduated son, I'll attempt R for myself. I want the maps, but don't have them yet. I was also thinking of trying the evaluations.

because of where we left off with history this year, we will be starting with Year 2 unit 4, then moving on to year 3 units 1-2, maybe 3. I have a LG, UG, and D. I really want to work on the R for me, but we'll see. I bought the Map Aids, and may try the evaluations when we get to year 3. I also bought the Pop Quiz-I'm really excited about this! I'm making each of the kiddos a workbook for their TOG stuff.

I am planning TOG2 for the fall, but at half pace, so we will only be covering units 1 and 2. I will be doing a blend of LG and UG and since I will miss my recently-graduated son, I'll attempt R for myself. I want the maps, but don't have them yet. I was also thinking of trying the evaluations.

(This will be our first time to try TOG.)

We'll also do TOG2 at half pace, doing Unit 1 in the fall, perhaps spilling over into January (because we have a lot of extra non-TOG books for the middle ages that I just had to add in), and then Unit 2 in the spring.

Dd8 is borderline LG/UG, and ds11 will be dialectic. I have a few of the R-level history books that I'm attempting to read, as well (e.g., recently started reading Oxford's Middle Ages: An Illustrated History). But I'm a very slow reader, so I don't know how far I'll get.

There will be a TOG booth (and workshop) at our local h/s conference in 5 days:001_smile:. I will most likely buy MapAids, and I'm considering the Evaluations-Dialectic. I haven't bought Yr 2 Unit 2 yet, so I'll need to do that, too.

I think we'll do most all of the TOG History Core, History In-depth and Literature for dialectic, though I may skip Marco Polo by Reid (a core bk) and just use Marco Polo for Kids instead, which is listed as an alternate resource for one of the grammar levels....I already have it; plus, I read it and liked it.

A few of my non-TOG add-ons:

The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning (it was fun researching the background of the story/legend)

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

The Apple and the Arrow (already have it)

And some books by Padraic Colum: The King of Ireland's Son (loved this!), The Story of King Arthur and Other Celtic Heroes (need to read it before final decision is made on it), The Children of Odin (Norse myths to go along w/study of Vikings; this won't be the first time for ds to read it)

Leonardo da Vinci by Diane Stanley

I recently bought Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology: The Age of Chivalry. But I don't know if I'll actually get around to reading or skimming it to see if it'll make the final cut. I figure it can wait til another year if needed.

This will be our first time ever to do anything on this period of history (the middle ages, that is), so I'm looking forward to it!

A few of my non-TOG add-ons:

The Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning (it was fun researching the background of the story/legend)

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

The Apple and the Arrow (already have it)

And some books by Padraic Colum: The King of Ireland's Son (loved this!), The Story of King Arthur and Other Celtic Heroes (need to read it before final decision is made on it), The Children of Odin (Norse myths to go along w/study of Vikings; this won't be the first time for ds to read it)

Leonardo da Vinci by Diane Stanley

I recently bought Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology: The Age of Chivalry. But I don't know if I'll actually get around to reading or skimming it to see if it'll make the final cut. I figure it can wait til another year if needed.

NOOOOOOO! Don't give me more books to add to my list!!!!! I am already so very over budget (on paper) and now you give me these delicious titles!!!! :lol:

We will be stretching units one and two as well. That is... if we can finish Year one! We tool a major trip this winter and got thrown off schedule. We are half way through Unit 3, and we love Rome so much that I don't think we'll mind spending our summer on it. I will be doing UG with my ds(10, with LD's) and my dd (9), and LG with my ds (7). I hope to do some D as read-alouds, as they may be Rhetoric when they hit this time again.

I have not bought any extras yet. I love the ease of Map Aids. We liked Pop Quiz, but since my husband works at home and is right there for most of out TOG it was really just an extra. We are brave enough to do lapbooks on our own this year (if we do them). I am really considering Evaluations, but that will be at the end of the purchase list. It depends on how may books I end up with! I *just* decided to stretch the Yr. plan out, so I need to reevaluate the budget in that light.

I am so very excited about this year- we have not covered this time period before. I can't wait to experience it with the kids!

We started unit 1 of Yr 2 this spring and will be continuing unit 2 through the summer (probably lightly) and I hope to be into unit 3 by fall. My goal is to move quickly through units 1 and 2 and then take our time with units 3 and 4 so I can add in many of the resources I already own: Time Traveler CDs, Living Principles of America CDs, Eggleston books, etc. We are using mostly UG resources for dd8 with some LG (ds6 will just be listening in as he likes).

Carolyn

I will be using TOG2 with D and UG/D. I have Map Aids and the evaluations. I am going to try the notebooking idea this year hoping it will help with the missing paper syndrome my kids have. :willy_nilly:

Sue

I am. I am just finishing up year 1 now. We will be using mapaids, evaluations and the lapbooks like we did this year. However, I use the lapbooks in our notebooking pages rather than putting them on a folder. We will be using portions of Writing Aids, but also doing some IEW units as well.

We'll be doing it here!

I have one LG, and a preschooler (who loves to draw maps and color them in). We'll be using LG books for history, lit, arts/crafts and church history. I'll do some of the rhetoric level reading myself, as time permits and whatever the library has available (unless I come across some resources used or super cheap, LOL).

We'll also be using map aids, saps for lit, and I think I'm going to give Karen's notebook idea a try.

We're starting in August - the 18th, I think, and I am very excited; we really, REALLY enjoyed Year 1, and I'm so glad I got it even though I was worried about doing it with "just a younger".

:)

Melissa

using Year 2. This is also my first post on the new board! I've been on the boards for years & years though. I'm a big-time lurker.:glare: I'm trying to break free from my silence.:001_smile:

I will have a R, D, & UG student--I'm really nervous, but also excited--it looks like such a great curriculum--I hope I can do it justice.

I am anxiously awaiting it to come in the mail, because I'd LIKE to start in July. Am I crazy?

I purchased the pop quizzes, map aids, & the Rhetoric evals.

I've been searching these boards trying to learn from you experienced ladies!:bigear:

I also wanted to add that I am really interested in Karen's notebooks also. We also have the missing paper syndrome that someone mentioned earlier. I also have an easier time throwing something off the schedule if it isn't already printed & ready to go.

I am planning TOG2 for the fall, but at half pace, so we will only be covering units 1 and 2. I will be doing a blend of LG and UG...

This is us as well! I will also be using Map Aids, possibly Evaluations, and am planning on putting together notebooks like Karen's over the summer. I have already purchased materials for lapbooks, and the Hands and Hearts Middle Ages Discovery Kit. My kids reallllly like projects.

My son is also taking a week-long, 2-hour a day class this summer on the physics behind medieval siege weapons. The kids get to design and engineer their own working desktop catapult and trebuchet. Then, they will build a castle and participate in a medieval tournament. He is VERY excited!

Krista

Actually we have begun at a slow pace but will pick up the pace a bit in September.

So far I am very please with it despite the "learning curve" which isn't as daunting as one might think.

I'm working out the details.

I did buy writing aids and map aids.

My daughter requested last night that we start Year 2 today. I'd planned to start in late July, but she *asked* to get going early when she saw the list of materials I'd carefully planned out for Unit One.

Here's how we're tweaking: We'll work at half-speed, at least through Units One and Two. We'll read through the entire volume of "Story of the Middle Ages" (I haven't chosen a Unit Two spine yet). We'll also use supplementary books (all six of the "Little Cousin of Long Ago" books that pertain to the Middle Ages, "Viking Tales," "D'Aulaire's Book of Norse Myths," "God's Troubadour," and a few others), and many supplementary DVDs. We'll also use the Medieval History Portfolio (thank you, Ladies of the High School Board, for mentioning this wonderful resource!) with its excellent maps. We'll also begin to study and use medicinal herbs (definitely a medieval occupation).

I'm realizing that my daughter may not *love* literature, but she really enjoys history facts. "Story of the Middle Ages" -- she was a huge fan of "Story of the Romans" and looks forward to its sequel -- as my history spine will be an excellent choice for her.

NOOOOOOO! Don't give me more books to add to my list!!!!! I am already so very over budget (on paper) and now you give me these delicious titles!!!! :lol:

Here are a few of those that are free....

The Pied Piper of Hamelin -- includes the illustrations, too.

The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson

Books by Padraic Colum:

The Children of Odin here and here

The King of Ireland’s Son here and here

The Boy Who Knew What the Birds Said

Books by Howard Pyle:

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

Men of Iron -- here and here

Otto of the Silver Hand -- here and here

Books by Thomas Bulfinch:

Bulfinch's Medieval Mythology: The Age of Chivalry

Legends of Charlemagne

Viking Tales by Jennie Hall --here and here

Books by Hans Christian Andersen:

Andersen’s Fairy Tales

Wonder Stories Told for Children

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Books by Andrew Lang:

The Blue Fairy Book

The Red Fairy Book

The Story of Joan of Arc

We are! I have a date with a friend who is also using it so she can help me get it all planned out. Waiting on my order of books too! That was steep but worth it. I have an UG and a LG. We're doing the maps and a few activities. I got the lapbooks in the bonus package so we'll try those out. We won't be using the writing portion.

This will be our first year using TOG and I'm excited as well as nervous. I hope it's not harder than I expect it to be.

We will be starting in July, as well, since new baby will arrive in September and I think we need a running start before we take a month-long break :)

I have a UG and a D. We will use Map Aids and Evaluations. We'll use all the core and in-depth books, plus some of the supplementary. We did Year 2 Classic last time around, so we have lots of books for this time period.

Those who are taking it slow - a great idea. There is so much in Year 2, content-wise and resource-wise, and the amount of time covered is huge.

Heather

We'll be using it for the first time, starting with redesigned Year 2. I'll have an UG & an R level.

Anyone who has used this at the R level, or will be this year, I could use some help! :crying:

I love the whole thing, but I think I'm too entrenched in the mindset of "do this, then do this." For things like maps, it would help me to be able to understand what the assignment is, and then I could decide what we're going to do. I'm only having a bit of trouble with week 1 D/R level - everything else looks very clear.

I've asked on the TOG board, dug up old posts on the Loose Threads and the Year 2 Yahoo groups, and even read the exact same question I have - but the response is either a) something completely different from what I'm understanding it to mean, and it doesn't say what they're saying it does, so ???, or b) to decide for yourself - which I'll gladly do, as soon as I understand the assignment itself.

I am probably making this more complicated than it is, but I do want to understand it. I need to get a definitive answer to this question, and then I can move forward with planning. And the clock's ticking!

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

"Barbarians" and "Barbarians II" (History Channel). My best Unit One finds! These sets contain episodes about eight barbarian tribes. Lots of blood and guts, but lots of solid info, too.

"The Byzantines: Engineering an Empire" (History Channel). Very good and informative. BTW, "DaVinci's World: Engineering an Empire" can be used in Unit Two.

"Islam: Empire of Faith" (PBS). Long-winded and slow, but occasional good information. Biased in favor of Islam.

"The Adventures of Prince Achmed" (Image Entertainment). Beautiful and entertaining silent movie using paper cutouts. A classic.

"The Dark Ages" (History Channel). I fell asleep while watching this, but I seem to remember it being pretty good. Uses some footage from "Barbarians."

"Scourge of the Black Death" (History Channel). Haven't watched this yet.

"Francis of Assisi" (20th Century Fox). Beautiful 1960s version of this story.

"Joan of Arc" (starring Ingrid Bergman) (Image Entertainment).

"The Adventures of Robin Hood" (starring Errol Flynn) (Warner Bros.) A classic.

"Castle" by David Macaulay (PBS). I really didn't like this; it was dated and long-winded.

"John Wycliffe: The Morning Star" (Vision Video).

"Discovering the Vatican" (foreign label; we purchased this at the Vatican). Six hours of everything you ever wanted to know about the Vatican.

"Ray Harryhausen's Legendary Monster Series: The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad." These 1960s movies were some of the first to use special effects. Classics.

"The Crusades: Crescent and the Cross" (History Channel). I haven't seen this yet.

"Sister Wendy: The Complete Collection." Beautiful artwork, but Sister Wendy's voice is difficult to understand at times.

:thumbup::hurray:

I am, I am!!!!!!! We are sooooo excited too. I have two D and one UG... and a almost 4 and 20month old running loose;)

I also bought Writing Aids and will refer to it some. My children are also taking an IEW co-op this year. I REALLY need someone else to help evaluate their writing. So, they will get tons of writing this year. They will write for TOG, IEW co-op and for science. They need the practice.

I also have the evaluations and map aids. We did buy the lapbooks for Unit 1, but I honestly don't know if I will get to it or not.

When is everyone starting? I think we will begin next week, as I still have to get a few things organized.

These are for my 11-year-old UG student (who will also read a few books from the D list). We'll use them in addition to the recommended TOG titles. I apologize if any that are mentioned here are already part of the TOG line-up.

Story of the Middle Ages (our spine -- we'll read and study the entire book)

Black Fox of Lorne by Marguerite de Angeli

Our Little Norman Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Crusader Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Saxon Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Frankish Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Celtic Cousin of Long Ago

(All the "Little Cousin" books are very nice! There is also a "Little Viking Cousin" book that we will not have time to read.)

D'Aulaires' Book of Trolls

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths

Tenggren's Golden Tales from the Arabian Nights by Gustav Tenggren

Viking Tales

God's Troubadour

When Knights Were Bold

Gabriel and the Hour Book

The Little Duke

The Magna Charta by James Daughterty

Joan of Arc by Nancy Wilson Ross

The Vikings by Elizabeth Janeway

These are for my 11-year-old UG student (who will also read a few books from the D list). We'll use them in addition to the recommended TOG titles. I apologize if any that are mentioned here are already part of the TOG line-up.

Story of the Middle Ages (our spine -- we'll read and study the entire book)

Black Fox of Lorne by Marguerite de Angeli

Our Little Norman Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Crusader Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Saxon Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Frankish Cousin of Long Ago

Our Little Celtic Cousin of Long Ago

(All the "Little Cousin" books are very nice! There is also a "Little Viking Cousin" book that we will not have time to read.)

D'Aulaires' Book of Trolls

D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths

Tenggren's Golden Tales from the Arabian Nights by Gustav Tenggren

Viking Tales

God's Troubadour

When Knights Were Bold

Gabriel and the Hour Book

The Little Duke

The Magna Charta by James Daughterty

Joan of Arc by Nancy Wilson Ross

The Vikings by Elizabeth Janeway

Rebecca...I love this list of "extras"! thanks for posting it!

I am curious about "The Story of the Middle Ages" you use as your spine. Who wrote that? Is it something an advanced LG (almost UG) would understand? Is it narrative?

I am just beginning (I think) my journey with TOG next year (YR2 U1&2) and found your posts very helpful. :001_smile:

Thanks!

"The Story of the Middle Ages" was written by H. A. Guerber and edited by Christine Miller. I think it's on about a 6th or even 7th grade level. It's densely packed with a great deal of detail; although the stories in it are interesting and memorable for younger children, overall it is better suited for older children. TOG lists this book as an alternate book for the Dialectic level.

I chose this book because I happen to like it very much. My older child used it several years ago, and it's a favorite at our house. My 11-year-old just recently finished "The Story of the Romans" for TOG Year 2. SOTR is slightly easier than "The Story of the Middle Ages."

TOG recommends a couple of other spines for Unit 1 for younger children, and those really might be better choices. Of course, you could always look at the samples of SOTMA at http://www.nothingnewpress.com and see what you think.

I'm glad you found the lists of supplementary books and DVDs for Unit 1 helpful. I'll try to post a Unit 2 list when we approach that unit, though it will be a while from now since we're going to be moving slowly (two weeks for every topic).

Good luck next year with your TOG studies!!

We (one student LG/UG and one UG/D) will be finishing Units 1/2 in the fall and beginning 3/4 afterwards as a new subject with Year 3 Units 1/2. We will be using Map Aids, Evaluations, Lapbooks, Pop Quizes if Dad likes the first set, and combining Writing Aids with IEW Medieval History.

We've never done lapbooks before but both kids have wanted more projects and I thought these would be great to share later with our Nursery student.

We have more books on the Middle Ages than I can name but hey-DS loves knights and castles and vikings and...I have several old Landmark titles and lots historical fiction to add. The historical fiction may turn into just suggested reading for pleasure. There are also lots of DK type books and books from the VP, SOTW AB, BiblioPlan and Paula's Archives lists.

Rebecca has some great films below-we've also added several of the History Channel's Vikings shows from the past few years, Monarchy with David Starkey, several episodes of Lost Worlds and Digging for the Truth, Knights and Armor (HC), Lion in Winter with Peter O'Toole and a cast of all stars, NOVA's Medieval Siege, Henry V with Kenneth Brannagh, and Engineering an Empire China.

For Unit 2 We have lots of History Channel on the Maya, Aztecs, Inca's etc., Empires-The Medici (PBS), Russia Land of the Tsars (the applicable parts), Madness of Henry VIII (PBS), 6 Wives of Henry VIII, Man for All Seasons, and Elizabeth I with Starkey.

We are also going to be listening to some Teaching Company lectures. I find these are as great for me as they are for the kids.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone.

"Barbarians" and "Barbarians II" (History Channel). My best Unit One finds! These sets contain episodes about eight barbarian tribes. Lots of blood and guts, but lots of solid info, too.

Oohh-We love these too!

"The Byzantines: Engineering an Empire" (History Channel). Very good and informative. BTW, "DaVinci's World: Engineering an Empire" can be used in Unit Two.

Also very good but try TLC's "Byzantium: The Lost Empire" with John Rommer.

"The Dark Ages" (History Channel). I fell asleep while watching this, but I seem to remember it being pretty good. Uses some footage from "Barbarians."

This is really hard to peg in as it covers many different topics. We might be using it as a summary. It also includes another HC program on the Plague.

"The Adventures of Robin Hood" (starring Errol Flynn) (Warner Bros.) A classic.

I love this movie and recently heard that most modern actors completly choreograph their fights however both Flynn and Basil Rathbone were master swordsmen who trained in the art of fighting. They were only given rough blocking and then turned loose to fight each other. Somehow that improves the movie.

"Castle" by David Macaulay (PBS). I really didn't like this; it was dated and long-winded.

There is also a video from Cathedral as well. I noticed the dated clothes and quality of video but the kids loved it and found it informative.

"Sister Wendy: The Complete Collection." Beautiful artwork, but Sister Wendy's voice is difficult to understand at times.

I love the passion Sister Wendy has for her topic but some may be sensative to her references to passion and body parts. Or just sensative to the fact that a nun is saying things like voluptuous.

Raising my hand high!! We are! I just placed my order and clicked on the submit order button! I am so excited and cannot wait!

We will be doing units 1 & 2 this year. I think it'll be a good idea for us to take our time and do a lot of the hands on activities and read alouds. I will have a LG (ds5) tagging along with my LG/almost UG (ds7). DH was planning to teach history this year (he is a medievalist), but now I am pretty sure *I* want to! I am thinking about doing the R stuff myself and get a greater knowledge of this time period.

We'll all have to compare notes throughout the year.

We probably won't get started on it until January, cause I'm doing a MFW geography study first, but I really am excited to learn about this period of hx. With 4 boys under 12, I expect they will find it fun!:001_smile:

Kim

I just wanted to update to say I moved out of my mode of needing to figure out what to do, or what the directions are, or what you're supposed to be doing.

I'm just going to do it my way. Ever since I decided that, I love it. It may not end up being anything even remotely resembling what it's supposed to be, but I'm having fun playing with it and personalizing it. Otherwise, I'd stay stuck in frustration, looking for exact directions that just aren't there. And that is pretty much what I was looking for (somewhere in the back of my mind - I wanted to do my own thing, but not totally my own thing, you know?), so I'm happy as a clam.