Menu

S/O: K-8 Textbooks you love and would recommend

silliness7

After 10 years of being anti-textbook, I'm finding textbooks to be a very efficient way to disseminate information. However not all textbooks are created equal. Some of them are carp. :D

Which are your favorites?

My favorites for the K-8 set are Saxon Math, Rod & Staff English, and Apologia General & Physical Science. Basically, those are the only K-8 texts I've had any experience with. I'm interested in branching out with more. I would love to hear your recs.

K-8 (mostly 5-8):

K12's Human Odyssey series

K12's concise version of Joy Hakim's A History of US

Elementary Algebra by Harold Jacobs

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor by Harold Jacobs

High school:

K12's The American Odyssey

Ways of the World

Miller and Levine Biology

Lial's math texts

K12's "The Human Odyssey" for middle grade history and Prentice Hall Science Explorer books have worked well here.

:iagree:Love K12 HO, PH Explorer can be used as a guide and has a lot of easy activities included. Really like their writing ideas. Also have started buying Oxfords World in Ancient/Medevial Times series, I really like these.

• 2 months later...

Is this one of them? Never heard of FlexBook, so I decided to look it up. Just wanted to mention to everyone that there are several on Amazon for free Kindle download right now. Can always download their free PC viewing software, if you don't have a Kindle.

51XO%2BXra7gL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-31,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I am not a big fan of textbooks either. The whole idea of going through index and flipping the pages gets my goat, so to speak. Then, one day I stumbled upon FlexBooks. A FlexBook titled 'Understanding Biodiversity' got me hooked. There are many other FlexBooks which 8th graders might find useful.

We've used Bob Jones for both science and history. The history is not my favorite, but it got us through a tough year.

I'm not a fan of Apologia, but it gets the job done.

We really like CLE reading and will have completed grades 2-8 at the end of this year.

I like:

Saxon math

RS4K (has a textbook feel about it)

What Your __ Needs To know has a textbook feel as well

We have a McGraw Hill textbook Music:An Appreciation that is pretty fun to read.

We also have a Harcourt Science 1st grade science textbook. Found at a yard sale--it's perfect for having random conversations with the pre-kinder. Colorful and not a lot of text.

• 2 months later...

I'll repeat the recommendation for K12's Human Odyssey - perhaps (heck, definitely) my favorite textbook ever!

I like the CPO texts, but especially the Physics one we're using this year (although that's a 8-10th grade text, so barely qualifies for this list :))

I've loved Singapore for K-6 math, but they're not all that "textbooky". Middle school is the first time we started using what looks like what I'd think of as textbooks.

I also like Breaking the Barrier for Spanish (and I'm guessing French) - one can start those in middle school.