Menu

Mormon Missionaries - Door Etiquette?

Personally I would not let men into my house while I was the only adult there, unless I knew for sure who they were and what they had come for. No offense, but anyone can "say" he's a missionary, right? And also, even a missionary could have an evil thought. It's just not wise to put yourself (and your kids) in a vulnerable position. I am sure that the church / missionaries would understand/agree.

Just to clarify, there was zero chance that I was letting them into my house while I was alone with my children. I thought I made that clear in my OP. The other Mormon mothers who have participated on this thread have also stated that they aren't allowed to come inside if a woman is alone - good to know!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LDS missionaries come to my home 2-3 times a week and we invite them in and feed them dinner every time :D

Well ok - I'm LDS and my DH is the Branch Mission leader (meaning he is basically in charge of the misssionaries):tongue_smilie:

It does seem little wierd they were knocking on doors in the dark -in our area that is heavily discouraged -they are supposed to be done that type of thing by 5.00.

They absolutely are not allowed to come into a home where there is no male over 21. Even though they come to our house all the time if my DH is not home they wait outside for him.

The missionaries turn up all the time at my house uninvited - looking for my DH and despite my associations with them -yeah I do get ticked - especially if I'm in the middle of bathing my kids or whatever - so non- members don't have the monopoly on that :D I usually send one of the kids to the window to yell out to them -Dad is not home right now -come back at X time - and they leave :D One time they turned up and my kids had just undressed for a bath and when they knocked on the door all 3 kids raced for the window to see who was there so the missionaries were greeted by three completely naked children dancing at the window :001_huh: now they usually remember to call first before they come :lol:

If it was 7.30 I would probably ask them if they had eaten but otherwise I wouldn't offer them anything except water if it was a hot day. The missionaries are fed very well -in fact - my DH and one of the missionaries here have entered into a pact to loose a bunch of weight and they are excercising together and comparing weight loss to encourage each other :lol:

I have JW's come to my house every couple of weeks. I open the door -and so no thanks and if they refuse to leave and start delivering their message anyway - I say " I'm LDS and I'll listen to your message if you listen to mine" and they take off very quickly then :D

And there's the difference. I would only come if I had an actual invitation. I would never just show up at your house at dinnertime and expect a conversation. :001_smile:

Believe me, they HIGHLY prefer when they have an invitation, lol! They go out "tracting" when they don't have contacts from members to visit, or appointments, or service to do, etc. They would be over the moon if they had enough already interested parties to fill up their days!! :D

And as you were the one from the scary part of MI, if I remember the posts right, the missionaries do not choose where they are called to serve a mission, either. They submit the paperwork to serve a mission and are called wherever the leaders of the church (those in charge of the entire church, not their local group) feel they are needed. I bet a lot of those missionaries in your area are scared stiff to go tracting in a hostile environment, but are following what they believe God wants them to do. They can't just hide inside or only visit members and call it a mission. ;)

I bet a lot of those missionaries in your area are scared stiff to go tracting in a hostile environment, but are following what they believe God wants them to do. They can't just hide inside or only visit members and call it a mission. ;)

My DH went on a mission to Pittsburgh. He was terrified of some of the places he had to go tract in - especially the "projects". He did a lot of praying whilst he was out tracting :D

My DH went on a mission to Pittsburgh. He was terrified of some of the places he had to go tract in - especially the "projects". He did a lot of praying whilst he was out tracting :D

Yeah, they generally come home with wild stories about the interesting neighborhoods they've worked in. My BIL was mugged in NYC, and all the mugger got was a dollar and an apple. My husband often went into "La Emergencia"--the bad neighborhood in Santiago, Chile--and has some stories about that. Even my SIL had rocks thrown at her in France (none hit her).

My son is serving an LDS mission in California as we speak.

There are really no "rules" and I promise they won't be offended if you decline to listen to their message. Actually, if your dh wasn't home and you had no adult males over the age of 18 (or maybe it's 21, I forget) in your home at the time, they aren't allowed to come in...even if you invite them.

As for where they stay, the church provides them with their own apartment, which they usually share with two other missionaries in the area. They are gone for two full years and only contact family and friends through mail (or now email) and on the phone on Christmas and Mother's Day. Their emphasis is much more on community service now than proselytizing and they truly are eager to help people out. My son has helped people paint their house, clear out yards (for an elderly lady who lived down the street and couldn't manage), drive folks to doctor's appointments, teach English for free in a community of Hispanic migrant workers, organize a health-mobile clinic for that same community, and basically...anything else they're asked to do.

We pay $400 per month for our missionary (much less than what is required to house and feed a boy from 19-21) and the church makes up the difference. They are provided with vehicles and cell phones and get a monthly allowance for food, haircuts, etc. We also provide him with a debit card in case he needs something extra (like pizza for lunch on occasion).

They have one day "off" per week and usually do something fun within the boundaries of their mission, as well as chores like laundry, etc.

Their dinners are usually provided by the LDS members in the area, who always take very good care of them. My son has been out for 23 months and has gained 30 pounds. :lol:

Anyway, don't feel badly about telling them "no". Honestly...you didn't hurt their feelings. But if you ever want to listen to their message...I can hook you up. :D

By "vehicles" I hope you mean bicycles :D

Strangely enough, we haven't been visited by Mormon missionaries since 1973, when two young missionaries inspired our tradition of "Family Home Evenings." The tradition didn't last forever, but we still remember our "Mormon Years."

Bill (who wonders if bikes are abandoned, what'll be next? Colorful shirts??? :tongue_smilie:)

To make a WTM board parallel, it was much more like if I were to happen into my local Target store to discover they had an XYZ widget that would work so perfectly for homeschooling and and its only a dollar. As soon as I get home, I jump on the boards in my excitement to share what I found with my friends. If you don't happen to see the need for an XYZ widget, you could say, "No, Thanks," or "Thanks for thinking of me, or "We already have something similar that is working for us."

Um, no- it's not like that at all.

The widget example would work for a door-to-door salesman, not someone who is trying to convert one to a different religion.

Just about all missionaries are provided with a shared car these days. I know in our area it's essential because we live rural and they have to travel great distances for meetings.

I doubt the white shirts will go - that's pretty firmly entrenched in our culture ;)

Strangely enough, we haven't been visited by Mormon missionaries since 1973, when two young missionaries inspired our tradition of "Family Home Evenings." The tradition didn't last forever, but we still remember our "Mormon Years."

Bill (who wonders if bikes are abandoned, what'll be next? Colorful shirts??? :tongue_smilie:)

It depends on the area. My brother just returned from his mission to Japan and he was on bikes or foot. He talked about biking up a cliff :lol:. His bike actually got hit by a car while he was on his mission and he got to discover the magical world of Japanese insurance while getting a replacement.

:) some are still on bikes - depends how much territory they cover. some get cars.

The sisters at the Hawaii Temple Visitors Center (next door to the Polynesian Cultural Center) wear mumu's. (we were there three weeks ago, and they had on bright blue ones) is that colorful enough?:lol:

And there's the difference. I would only come if I had an actual invitation. I would never just show up at your house at dinnertime and expect a conversation. :001_smile:

Perhaps that is the difference. If you did just show up it would not occur to me to threaten you or set the dog on you, even if I was annoyed--just on the grounds that you're a fellow human being. Maybe it is a cultural difference. Or maybe I just didn't grow up in Michigan. ;)

I am sorry you've had some negative experiences with members of my faith, however. Please allow me to apologize on their behalf. I'm sure their intentions were good even if their application was clumsy and inappropriate. If it becomes an issue again at some point, I would suggest that you might try contacting church or mission leaders in your area (look in the phone book) and explaining the problem you're having with the missionaries. You're likely to get better results that way. And I'm sure you're not the sort of person who would get enjoyment out of torturing young people who weren't even around when the past problems occurred.

I haven't read any replies yet... When missionaries come to the door, I listen as politely as I can, saying very little and then let them leave. On one hand, I kind of find it invasive and a little rude to have people coming to my door trying to convert me to their own special brand of Christianity which is somehow superior to my brand of Christianity. However, they are always very polite, so I try to be as well. But I certainly don't feel obligated to invite them inside or give them anything.

ETA: I've haven't gotten LDS but I do get JWs here.

I haven't read the other replies but it is my understanding that they don't get many home-cooked meals and if my 23yo son were home at the time (he works nights 3/4 days per week, so it's quite possible), I would have invited them in for lunch/dinner. I feel kind of sorry for them driving around here on bikes (we have nutso traffic and no sidewalks) so they are really risking their lives to get around. Anyway, I'd ask them in and let Ds share the gospel with them. He enjoys that kind of banter.:) If I were with just my 3 youngest, I just would say "No thanks," offer them some bottled water and shut the door.

As a Jehovah's Witness, I have to tell you I appreciate this. We never have ANY intention (nor is it allowed) to try and force beliefs on people. If someone says, "No thanks", we say thank you and move on. We won't come back unless requested by you. We hit the houses on our routes every 6m-1 year. Thanks for your kindness!

I wish you were one of the ladies who visited me... I never asked them to come back, but I was nice and took the literature and told them to have a nice day once and they came back TWICE A MONTH for six months. Seriously, we had them timed down to the day and I would try to leave the house on that afternoon. I finally had to be just really rude and say "Do not come back here!"

I felt awful, because they were two elderly ladies who I am sure were very nice most of the time, but they would not give up! They were really sweet, but wow... persistent!

The widget example would work for a door-to-door salesman, not someone who is trying to convert one to a different religion.

I thought it was a pretty good analogy. Would you mind explaining a little more about why you think sharing a religion that you love and find works well for you with someone else is different from sharing a widget that you love and find works well for you? I would like to better understand your perspective.

Perhaps that is the difference. If you did just show up it would not occur to me to threaten you or set the dog on you, even if I was annoyed--just on the grounds that you're a fellow human being. Maybe it is a cultural difference. Or maybe I just didn't grow up in Michigan. ;)

I am sorry you've had some negative experiences with members of my faith, however. Please allow me to apologize on their behalf. I'm sure their intentions were good even if their application was clumsy and inappropriate. If it becomes an issue again at some point, I would suggest that you might try contacting church or mission leaders in your area (look in the phone book) and explaining the problem you're having with the missionaries. You're likely to get better results that way. And I'm sure you're not the sort of person who would get enjoyment out of torturing young people who weren't even around when the past problems occurred.

Well, if you start showing up weekly at night when I've asked you not to, YES. You would be meeting my dog at some point in time. At some of my neighbors' homes, you'd be meeting the business end of a shotgun. And I'm pretty sure that's why the police got involved.

I personally think Mormonism is a cult. And they are not welcome on my property. I especially think that after the events of this summer because I cannot imagine anything other than a cult sending young boys (who am I am presuming are someone's children) out into hostile areas to preach to people who have very clearly stated they don't want to be reached at.

If I were a Mormon mother, there's no way on the planet I'd ever expose any of my children to that kind of danger. I love my kids too much for that.

I've seen some of these trigger happy nuts in action. It's a matter of time, I'm afraid. And it's not like the local police aren't part of the community. I'm afraid some kid is going to go missing and "no one" will know where he went!

I believe people have the legal right to believe in whatever they want to believe but if you're going to step onto other people's private property and prosyletize, then that's a risk for everyone involved and I think it should be illegal. I don't like thinking this about my neighbors but yeah, I could easily see a couple of them doing something heinous and I could see the community supporting them in it. Because these people look at it as an invasion of their property and their relationship with their God. As a aprent, I just could not imagine a situation where I would EVER let my kids take that risk. It makes me nauseous to think about it.

I wish you were one of the ladies who visited me... I never asked them to come back, but I was nice and took the literature and told them to have a nice day once and they came back TWICE A MONTH for six months. Seriously, we had them timed down to the day and I would try to leave the house on that afternoon. I finally had to be just really rude and say "Do not come back here!"

I felt awful, because they were two elderly ladies who I am sure were very nice most of the time, but they would not give up! They were really sweet, but wow... persistent!

That's actually pretty strange. We basically have the same rules no matter where in the country/world we are. My guess, if they were elderly, is they did not realize or perhaps they weren't actually Witnesses. If something like that were to happen again, please call the Kingdom Hall in your town and describe the situation. It is never our intention to bother people. :)

No, I meant an actual car. LOL My son had a bike when he was in Palmdale, but once he was transferred down to Tarzana, Burbank, etc., he was given a car.

If I were a Mormon mother, there's no way on the planet I'd ever expose any of my children to that kind of danger. I love my kids too much for that.

We love our boys too - we just have faith that God will protect them whilst they are out doing his work :001_smile:

So far that has worked pretty well - there have been very few missionary casualties - none that were ever shot by neighbours ;)

Edited by sewingmama

No, I meant an actual car. LOL My son had a bike when he was in Palmdale, but once he was transferred down to Tarzana, Burbank, etc., he was given a car.

Hey, he was in my neighborhood! :001_smile:

In a car :glare:

Dear First President Monson,

It has recently come to my attention.......

Bill (Traditionalist :tongue_smilie:)

Well, if you start showing up weekly at night when I've asked you not to, YES. You would be meeting my dog at some point in time. At some of my neighbors' homes, you'd be meeting the business end of a shotgun. And I'm pretty sure that's why the police got involved.

I personally think Mormonism is a cult. And they are not welcome on my property. I especially think that after the events of this summer because I cannot imagine anything other than a cult sending young boys (who am I am presuming are someone's children) out into hostile areas to preach to people who have very clearly stated they don't want to be reached at.

I've seen some of these trigger happy nuts in action. It's a matter of time, I'm afraid. And it's not like the local police aren't part of the community. I'm afraid some kid is going to go missing and "no one" will know where he went!

I believe people have the legal right to believe in whatever they want to believe but if you're going to step onto other people's private property and prosyletize, then that's a risk for everyone involved and I think it should be illegal. I don't like thinking this about my neighbors but yeah, I could easily see a couple of them doing something heinous and I could see the community supporting them in it. Because these people look at it as an invasion of their property and their relationship with their God. As a aprent, I just could not imagine a situation where I would EVER let my kids take that risk. It makes me nauseous to think about it.

I agree that weekly is too much, and I'm wondering what sort of mission mix-up even caused that to happen. I'm sorry you felt harrassed. And again, I would urge you to contact local LDS church authorities if it ever becomes a problem again. They don't want to cause problems. You are still welcome in my home (as long as you're polite) any time, even though I do understand that I am not welcome on your property. It sounds as if there's very little chance that you'll ever be a Mormon mother, so that's not something you'll ever have to worry about. ;) But let me assure you that Mormon mothers love their children dearly, and although we are proud when they are willing to stand for what they believe even under threat of violence, we worry desperately about them while they are away and appreciate those who look out for them on our behalf. I understand that you do not want to be counted among that number, though I hope if you actually saw one of our kids get shot you would be willing to at least call 911 for them, for their mothers' benefit if not their own. I appreciate you sharing your perspective here, and hope that any further interactions you might have with members of my faith will be more positive in nature.

Edited by MamaSheep

That's actually pretty strange. We basically have the same rules no matter where in the country/world we are. My guess, if they were elderly, is they did not realize or perhaps they weren't actually Witnesses. If something like that were to happen again, please call the Kingdom Hall in your town and describe the situation. It is never our intention to bother people. :)

Thanks for that! I admired their dedication.

I think it's more like sharing a different approach or philosophy for homeschooling. This is a heavily WTM board, but some people might appreciate or find they agree more with information about a Charlotte Mason or even Waldorf approach. If you don't want or need the information, that's fine, but it might be just what another person needs. :)

This is rather fascinating. The neighborhood I live in has a strict no soliciting policy so I do not get bugged too often. I can call the police if they refuse to leave. I have not had to do that and hope not to.

I have to say THE worst for me are the Kirby people. Oh. my. gosh! Three to four hours trying to convince me to spend $2000 on a vacuum cleaner?! And they are sneaky because they do not say who they are upfront. They simply ask if you have a room of carpet you would like cleaned. My favorite is the "Your neighbors, Mr. and Mrs. So and So are having it done." Like I care! Peer pressure was always wasted on me.

My older sons' best friend for a long time was a JW. Nicest boy and family you would ever want to know. Never once talked about their religion to us, and we did not either unless the boy was there when my sons asked me a question. We very much have tried to instill in our boys that this is what we believe but not everyone does and that is fine. Live and let live, respect what others believe. You ask me a question, I will answer but I am not going to try to turn conversation that way.

Oh, and I am a Mormon---all my life. My dh was a missionary many years ago in the UK ( and a convert at age 15). My oldest brother was a missionary in BC, Canada. One of my younger sisters was a missionary in WY/UT. I hope every single one of my four sons serves a Mission. Fact is, they are 19 when they go, not boys that we parents still have control or a say in what they do.

One last thing because I just cannot get over the veiled threat. Murder is still illegal last time I checked in every state in the US, pretty much the whole civilized world. Just sayin'. I can understand the irritation but really? Shooting a person? Seems a bit extreme to me.

Edited by Guest

One last thing because I just cannot get over the veiled threat. Murder is still illegal last time I checked in every state in the US, pretty much the whole civilized world. Just sayin'.

Seriously. It han't been legal to kill Mormons since 1976, and as far as I know that was just in Missouri.

Seriously. It han't been legal to kill Mormons since 1976, and as far as I know that was just in Missouri.

What? :bigear:

I would of course call the cops if I knew anything but man, continuing to come to people's homes time after time after time is just plain dangerous!!

One of the local churches was giving away Krakauer's book. This just isn't an area where it's a good idea to be prosyletizing in.

I would never contact a mormon group but yes, I did call the cops. I listened to how riled up the neighbors were getting and I knew I was annoyed. Most of my neighbors are good people but they get twitchier the weeks before hunting season. :glare:

And people have disappeared from this area recently. I cannot help but wonder if the good old boys took care of some problems. And our police don't seem to be much better. Our sheriff has been battling his own police officers in court for YEARS.

In a state like Michigan with unemployment as high as it is, people are just ANGRY. It would not take much to set some of these firecrackers off. As a mother, I just do not understand sending kids off to fend for themselves in an area as devoutly Catholic or evangelical as this one.

I thought it was a pretty good analogy. Would you mind explaining a little more about why you think sharing a religion that you love and find works well for you with someone else is different from sharing a widget that you love and find works well for you? I would like to better understand your perspective.

I'll give it a go-

Religion is a life philosophy. People who share religion are trying to "save" the souls of the people to whom they are proselytizing. It's not a "hey, this widget works for me- maybe it will work for you!" kind of arrangement.

People who want to share a widget that works well for them are not trying to save your soul. They are trying to make your life more convenient. I've never heard someone say they follow a particular religion because it's convenient (as a matter of fact, I've heard people say the opposite.)

I think it's more like sharing a different approach or philosophy for homeschooling. This is a heavily WTM board, but some people might appreciate or find they agree more with information about a Charlotte Mason or even Waldorf approach. If you don't want or need the information, that's fine, but it might be just what another person needs. :)

I think that's closer than the widget analogy. Some people do follow a homeschooling philosophy religiously;).

But I don't think many people would think they are going to hell, for example, if they change their homeschooling philosophy.

I think that's closer than the widget analogy. Some people do follow a homeschooling philosophy religiously;).

But I don't think many people would think they are going to hell, for example, if they change their homeschooling philosophy.

Well, if it helps, Mormons don't believe non-Mormons are going to hell. :) Somehow I doubt certain evangelical Christians think the same about us. ;) It is rather tiresome to be told that you belong to a cult when you know that you don't. :tongue_smilie:

Maybe it's 'cause I live at the shore, where everyone is pretty relaxed, but I've had good interactions with LDS and JWs who come calling. In fact, one JW has become my good friend.

We have enough religions in this house already (Taoism, Catholicism, Buddhism and Episcopalianism), so we're not really in the market for any more. :) But we're always open to meeting new folks, and being from NJ, can definitely shut down anyone who is obnoxious. Frankly, the only ones we had to do that to since we've lived here were the census takers who kept knocking and asking about the other seasonal houses in the area. :tongue_smilie:

Any Mormon moms who ever have kids heading towards the Jersey Coast, give me the heads up! I'll make sure we have some lemonade ready. (I've made the iced tea mistake at least twice!) :svengo:

As a former christian I find this discussion fascinating. We live in a horrible neighborhood filled with drug dealers and users, whores, vagabonds and thieves. When the missionaries from LDS and especially the females come to our door they are told firmly that we are not christian but that they are welcome to have a cool drink, fruit and cookies and use the bathroom in the law office area if needed. We always have a nice talk and I warn them to be extremely cautious on certain areas of the block where murders have occurred. I wish I were exaggerating but sadly there have been 3 in the past 2 years. They are further told that if they are ever in fear while on our street that they are welcome here, always. I have never been preached to but maybe my conduct speaks more than my words that I am not a believer. Those young people are someone else's beloved children and I certainly hope that if my daughter were hot, tired or frightened that an older, wiser person would welcome her into their home for a moment's rest. But then again I am not a christian either so they pose no cognitive, spiritual or psychological threat to me. They are just kids trying to improve a really crappy world in the only way they see to do it. I just cannot understand the reticence to let LDS missionaries in the door. I have done so for years and never regretted doing so. They might regret coming in as I am an epic fail but so be it. :lol:

I know some people who would argue that point! (I'm not one of them...)

Really, I think I would know. ;) It's bizarre the way people try to tell me what I believe. They're usually quite wrong or have their interpretation so skewed that it bears little resemblance to our doctrine or religious practice.

Unfortunately, religious bigotry is something I've experienced.... I try not be guilty of the same.

As a former christian I find this discussion fascinating. We live in a horrible neighborhood filled with drug dealers and users, whores, vagabonds and thieves. When the missionaries from LDS and especially the females come to our door they are told firmly that we are not christian but that they are welcome to have a cool drink, fruit and cookies and use the bathroom in the law office area if needed. We always have a nice talk and I warn them to be extremely cautious on certain areas of the block where murders have occurred. I wish I were exaggerating but sadly there have been 3 in the past 2 years. They are further told that if they are ever in fear while on our street that they are welcome here, always. I have never been preached to but maybe my conduct speaks more than my words that I am not a believer. Those young people are someone else's beloved children and I certainly hope that if my daughter were hot, tired or frightened that an older, wiser person would welcome her into their home for a moment's rest. But then again I am not a christian either so they pose no cognitive, spiritual or psychological threat to me. They are just kids trying to improve a really crappy world in the only way they see to do it. I just cannot understand the reticence to let LDS missionaries in the door. I have done so for years and never regretted doing so. They might regret coming in as I am an epic fail but so be it. :lol:

Thank you Elizabeth! Thank you for caring about young people, for looking out for others in your neighborhood. We should ALL be doing that.

Faith

http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html Great list of cult warning signs and behaviours applicable to all types of groups. This is the gold standard and used by many attorneys in divorce proceedings as to when judicial intervention is needed. "Cult" is a term of art and ought not be tossed about lightly.

Yep, confirmed what I already knew. I don't belong to a cult. :)

What? :bigear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Executive_Order_44

It's a bit old. From 1838, to be precise. To quote the Wiki, "

Missouri Executive Order 44, also known as the "Mormon Extermination Order"[1] (alt. exterminating order)[2] in Latter Day Saint history, was an executive order issued on October 27, 1838, by Governor of Missouri Lilburn Boggs. The directive was issued in the aftermath of the Battle of Crooked River, a clash between Mormons and a unit of the Missouri State Guard in northern Ray County, Missouri during the so-called "Mormon War" of 1838. Insisting that the Mormons had committed "open and avowed defiance of the laws", and had "made war upon the people of this State," Boggs precipitously directed that "the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary for the public peace—their outrages are beyond all description."

While the order is often referred to as the "Mormon Extermination Order" due to the phrasing used by Boggs, relatively few people were killed as a direct result of its issuance. However, the state militia and other authorities used Boggs' missive as a pretext to expel the Mormons from their lands in the state, and force them to migrate to Illinois. Mormons did not begin to return to Missouri until twenty-five years later, when they found a more-welcoming environment and were able to establish homes there once more. In 1976, citing the unconstitutional nature of Boggs' directive, Missouri Governor Kit Bond formally rescinded it.[3]"

Elizabeth, I adore you. You're rough around the edges but all heart :001_smile:

Lisa

I'll give it a go-

Religion is a life philosophy. People who share religion are trying to "save" the souls of the people to whom they are proselytizing. It's not a "hey, this widget works for me- maybe it will work for you!" kind of arrangement.

People who want to share a widget that works well for them are not trying to save your soul. They are trying to make your life more convenient. I've never heard someone say they follow a particular religion because it's convenient (as a matter of fact, I've heard people say the opposite.)

While I agree with this to a point, I can share my views/experience. JWs don't believe in saving anyone's "soul", as we don't believe in souls. Semantics, I know. :) We don't think you actually have to be a Witness or even know anything about us in order to make it to the new system (We don't believe people go to heaven, though we do believe that's where Jesus, etc are). I have many many who request a visit from me each month, just to drop off literature. Our Awake! magazines often have world news, cultures, and stories in them that people find interesting. Often they don't have much to do with religion. We have many more who may feel like they believe XYZ about our religion, and enjoy learning through Bible study with us, but have no intention of EVER becoming a Witness. That's also totally fine with us, although obviously we pray they will change their mind. :)

I personally DID join my religion because it was convenient. I had a belief in God and a need/want to express it, but didn't know how. I had practiced a few other religions and none seemed right. When I started studying, everything else in my life fell into place and things did become more convenient.

Anyway, sorry for the life story. I've been stuck sick at home alone and have no one to talk to, lol. :tongue_smilie:

I hope I can convey across the interweb how awesome I think you are. :hurray:

and they were very embarassed to find out it was still on their books.

(my mother's family has been in MO since the 1850's.)

oh, I've met a few . . . . (can you say nuts?) I don't think I get around that much either. If you say anything bad about their homeschooling "philosophy" (e.g. you've read it over, and after someone asks people what they think of xyz currucula, state _ _ _ bothered you) they react verbally like they are being persecuted for their religious beliefs. they romans have returned to throw them to the lions. just, wow.

seriously, this was over a HOMESCHOOL curriculum.

Edited by gardenmom5

Really, I think I would know. ;) It's bizarre the way people try to tell me what I believe. They're usually quite wrong or have their interpretation so skewed that it bears little resemblance to our doctrine or religious practice.

the last time my brother tried to tell me what "mormons" believe (I'm a convert), I fell off the chair from laughing too hard because it was so bizarre. He finally realized his source of information was wrong and stopped.

I agree that weekly is too much, and I'm wondering what sort of mission mix-up even caused that to happen. I'm sorry you felt harrassed. And again, I would urge you to contact local LDS church authorities if it ever becomes a problem again. They don't want to cause problems. You are still welcome in my home (as long as you're polite) any time, even though I do understand that I am not welcome on your property. It sounds as if there's very little chance that you'll ever be a Mormon mother, so that's not something you'll ever have to worry about. ;) But let me assure you that Mormon mothers love their children dearly, and although we are proud when they are willing to stand for what they believe even under threat of violence, we worry desperately about them while they are away and appreciate those who look out for them on our behalf. I understand that you do not want to be counted among that number, though I hope if you actually saw one of our kids get shot you would be willing to at least call 911 for them, for their mothers' benefit if not their own. I appreciate you sharing your perspective here, and hope that any further interactions you might have with members of my faith will be more positive in nature.

You have amazing grace! I am always impressed by the Mormon's that I meet in person and on these boards and if I wanted to convert, I would look at Mormonism because of how you live your lives and the fruit it bears.

the last time my brother tried to tell me what "mormons" believe (I'm a convert), I fell off the chair from laughing too hard because it was so bizarre. He finally realized his source of information was wrong and stopped.

A LOT of the people we meet at the doors will find it safe to ask, "don't y'all believe______?" Or "I didn't know y'all believed in ______ (often Jesus)!?!" Many times, honest ones will say, "My cousin told me y'all don't _____." Almost EVERY TIME someone says one of these types of things, they've been wrong.

One big one expressed in this thread is that we're trying to "save someone's soul" or trying to convert people. That actually isn't so. That isn't what the scriptures SAY to do. Do we hope people will gain knowledge and act on it? Absolutely. The scriptures says that is the key AND that God wants us to do it. I sure have plenty to learn and act on myself.

BTW, and unlike the majority of people we talk to (here, at least), *I* don't think you're gonna burn in hell for not listening to me! I know better. So you don't have to worry about any JW being worried about saving your "soul" from eternal torment, torture, or suffering. The scriptures say otherwise so we don't believe you are ****ed to hell for believing differently from us, the Bible, or what have you.