Menu

50 LBS of Tomatoes

Ei!Ei!Ei! SALSA!!!

Actually, sounds like you really want tomato sauce?

I would love to have access to 50# of tomatoes. I was lucky to get five good ones off my stinky plants this year.

To be perfectly honest, I just don't want to can... want to use them... and was thinking that cooking them down, and freezing them... might mean that I would have "sauce" for Homemade tomato soup. I was hoping that I could use the tomatoes with the basic "white sauce" and stock and turn it into yummy Soup. I found one recipe... and thought it looked interesting.

I don't have to have a lot of different "end products" from what I'm making... just easy!! (And something we will eat)

The tomatoes are Organic, to top it off... Last time I passed on picking them... I'm off to pick and will see if anyone else has hints for me... when I come back :)

Hey Y'all :)

I'm going out to pick 50 lbs of tomatoes. I'm gonna skin 'em but wonder what to do after. I don't want to can them... I want to get them "condensed" to something... and then freeze them. Should I prepare them for soup.... I really don't want too much work, but these come with my CSA portion :)

:bigear:

50lbs of tomatoes?! Just bring them over, honey, and I'll take care fo them for ya! :lol:

Quick and easy: wash, core, pop into freezer bags, freeze. I do this and in the off season I'll pull out 3 frozen tomatoes, thaw slightly, chop, and then use them in soups and stews. If you want the skin off, you can run the frozen tomato under hot water and the skin will slip right off.

Yep - that's what I did.

I'm in the middle of making paste with the rest of my crop with the same amount right now.

I make a VERY condensed paste and when done it is rolled into a ball and sits covered in a crock of olive oil. It only takes a heaping tablespoon of this stuff to make a large pot of Ragu. When made from your own tomatoes the natural acids and sweetness is beyond compare.

I read about this technique from a man who grew up in an old Italian neighborhood, in NY, in the 30's and I've made it with the last of my harvest ever since. He said all the wives and grandmothers would cut up and boil down all the tomatoes, skins and all, in huge pots (I put a bit of water in the bottom to not scorch). It takes hours and hours, first at a gentle boil then at a simmer. I use a hand cranked food mill to separate all the skins and seeds (our chickens love that). Then put it back on simmer to reduce. At first it will look like tomato juice, then a sauce, when it reduced again by half and fairly thick, I spread it out thinly on large cookie sheets and either set it outside on a warm day covered with cheese cloth or like today my trays are in my oven with the pilot light on and sitting on top of the stove. Scrape, combine the reduction, and spread at least twice a day. It could take up to three or four days depending on the temp and humidity. You are more or less making a tomato fruit leather, but it will still be sticky and able to roll into a ball. The old neighborhood ladies spread the paste out on clean sheets of plywood and kept them on screened porches.

I do 10 pounds of raw tomatoes at a time. Each will make a ball about the size of a racquet ball.

I put no seasonings, no salt, no sugar, NOTHING in the paste. You can season it when you make whatever you are doing with it. I use it to make pizza sauce, pasta sauce, tomato based soups, stews, etc...

It is amazing, you should try it at least once. :tongue_smilie:

I canned this recipe this week, but I am sure that you could freeze it.

Bruschetta Preserves

5-7 cloves garlic

1 cup white wine vinegar

1 cup white grape juice

2 T. balsamic vinegar

2 T. sugar

2 T dried basil

2 T. dried oregano

Combine ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to boil gently uncovered for 5 minutes. Remove from heat

9 cups fresh tomatoes (peeled, chopped, and drained)

Pack tomatoes into hot half-pint jars leaving 3/4 inch head room. Add hot liquid to cover tomatoes. Process in hot water bath for 20 minutes. Serve spooned over crusty bread that has been toasted and lightly brushed with olive oil. Sprinkle with grated cheese.

I use a jar for a modified Bruschetta Chicken Casserole, or spooned on top of grilled chicken, fish or toasted bread. Yummy!

Amber in SJ

We are always given "tons" of tomatoes from a friend of ours. I clean them, cut out any bad parts and throw them into a big pot and cook them down, way down. It could take a few days (to the thickness you like). You can add tomato paste to it and also any spices you like. Afterwards, I put the sauce in freezer bags, suck out the air with a straw and freeze. Yum! :001_smile:

I'm in the middle of making paste with the rest of my crop with the same amount right now.

I make a VERY condensed paste and when done it is rolled into a ball and sits covered in a crock of olive oil. It only takes a heaping tablespoon of this stuff to make a large pot of Ragu. When made from your own tomatoes the natural acids and sweetness is beyond compare.

I read about this technique from a man who grew up in an old Italian neighborhood, in NY, in the 30's and I've made it with the last of my harvest ever since. He said all the wives and grandmothers would cut up and boil down all the tomatoes, skins and all, in huge pots (I put a bit of water in the bottom to not scorch). It takes hours and hours, first at a gentle boil then at a simmer. I use a hand cranked food mill to separate all the skins and seeds (our chickens love that). Then put it back on simmer to reduce. At first it will look like tomato juice, then a sauce, when it reduced again by half and fairly thick, I spread it out thinly on large cookie sheets and either set it outside on a warm day covered with cheese cloth or like today my trays are in my oven with the pilot light on and sitting on top of the stove. Scrape, combine the reduction, and spread at least twice a day. It could take up to three or four days depending on the temp and humidity. You are more or less making a tomato fruit leather, but it will still be sticky and able to roll into a ball. The old neighborhood ladies spread the paste out on clean sheets of plywood and kept them on screened porches.

I do 10 pounds of raw tomatoes at a time. Each will make a ball about the size of a racquet ball.

I put no seasonings, no salt, no sugar, NOTHING in the paste. You can season it when you make whatever you are doing with it. I use it to make pizza sauce, pasta sauce, tomato based soups, stews, etc...

Wow. This sounds great! (The drying can also happen in a dehydrator, depending on the amount).

Sounds awesome!!

A bushel isn't really that much. I put up a bushel this summer while I was in GA and I always wish I'd canned 2 bushels but we're only in south GA for a little while and my poor grandmother's kitchen can only take so much.

I just don't understand why you would possibly want to freeze them when tomatoes are pretty much the ONLY vegetable that cans better than it freezes.

Anyone ever tried dehydrating them? We do. Roma's work best because they don't have as much juice and are more meaty. We dry them down, vacuum pack them in jars and then use them to throw in soups and sauces. They give a really rich tomato taste and we've even been know to pop a few in our mouths - they aren't bad that way either.

Anyone ever tried dehydrating them? We do. Roma's work best because they don't have as much juice and are more meaty. We dry them down, vacuum pack them in jars and then use them to throw in soups and sauces. They give a really rich tomato taste and we've even been know to pop a few in our mouths - they aren't bad that way either.

I do! They are great this way too. If you don't dehydrate them to a crisp you can also store them in basil flavored olive oil and it will keep a long time. I use these on our homemade pizza and chopped up in a pasta with marinated artichokes, dilled beans, yellow peppers and an Italian vinegar dressing, yum.

I've got tomatoes on my mind, I've been processing/dehydrating/making paste and ketchup, and canning all week. So far we've harvested over 170 lbs from our Brandywines, Purple Cherokees, and Romas. If the weather holds I'll have another 50 plus pounds of vine ripened ones next week. This is a small harvest for us LOL, but it's all our tomato needs for the year. :001_smile:

I do! They are great this way too. If you don't dehydrate them to a crisp you can also store them in basil flavored olive oil and it will keep a long time. I use these on our homemade pizza and chopped up in a pasta with marinated artichokes, dilled beans, yellow peppers and an Italian vinegar dressing, yum.

Yum! I'll have to try the olive oil thing! I'd love your pasta recipe if you care to share - that sounds really good.

Unfortunately our tomato crop didn't do all that well this year and I'm not going to get my year's supply of tomato products canned that I was hoping too. In some ways that's OK I guess. Less work for this mom expecting #6 in 4 weeks :).

Yum! I'll have to try the olive oil thing! I'd love your pasta recipe if you care to share - that sounds really good.

Unfortunately our tomato crop didn't do all that well this year and I'm not going to get my year's supply of tomato products canned that I was hoping too. In some ways that's OK I guess. Less work for this mom expecting #6 in 4 weeks :).

Ohhh congratulations :hurray: on your newest one!! I bet you have your hands full!!!

The recipe is so simple it's almost embarrassing. Mind you I'm not a measuring kind of gal except for baking. :)

A large package of dried colorful pasta (I use spirals), cooked washed and drained

A small jar of marinated artichoke hearts, sliced in bite-sized hunks

A handful of chopped dehydrated tomatoes (i use the olive oil soaked ones)

A handful of chopped roasted yellow and orange sweet peppers (mainly cause mine never quite get red ;) )

A jar or can each or green and yellow wax beans

A small handful of sliced olives

A handful of finely grated parmesan cheese

And enough of a zesty garlic parmesan Italian dressing to marinate

It's better if made ahead a few hours and allowed to marinate. It's a really tangy and colorful salad.

I roasted ours (used Romas) with a bit of olive oil and garlic on parchment paper covered cookie sheets, let the sheets cool, popped them in the freezer until the tomatoes were frozen individually and finally packed them in freezer ziploc bags. I pull a couple out to thaw and stick on sandwiches, replace tomato sauce on pizza, etc. They are great!

This recipe looks similar to what I did

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/side-dish-recipes/roasted-tomatoes

Ohhh congratulations :hurray: on your newest one!! I bet you have your hands full!!!

The recipe is so simple it's almost embarrassing. Mind you I'm not a measuring kind of gal except for baking. :)

Yes, my hands are full. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It sounds so yummy and I can really go for simple right now! ;)

Don't peel. Wash, cut out the stem part, squeeze gently to get the seeds and placenta to plop out, and freeze.

The placenta? Is that really what it's called? :D That's funny! Or maybe it's just my condition right now... 4 weeks till my placenta (and a baby) pops out... Can you tell I'm at the count down stage?

The placenta? Is that really what it's called? :D That's funny! Or maybe it's just my condition right now... 4 weeks till my placenta (and a baby) pops out... Can you tell I'm at the count down stage?

I know that in cucumbers that matrix the seeds hang out in is the placenta. I was generalizing the term from cucumbers. Makes sense!

I purchased 25-30 pounds of tomatoes from the local farm stand. After I cooked them to my desired consistency down with garlic, basil, onion I had 9 quart jars of marinara sauce. I did squeeze the "juice" out of them so I wouldn't have to cook so long. Then I also canned this juice to use as a soup starter.

I roasted ours (used Romas) with a bit of olive oil and garlic on parchment paper covered cookie sheets, let the sheets cool, popped them in the freezer until the tomatoes were frozen individually and finally packed them in freezer ziploc bags. I pull a couple out to thaw and stick on sandwiches, replace tomato sauce on pizza, etc. They are great!

I do this except I don't bother to freeze individually. I blend them into paste when I need some.