Menu

Just the Messenger...You Can Drink Alchohol While Pregnant.

Blog post

Actual study

There's no evidence that light drinking in pregnancy (1-2 drinks a week) affects the baby.

I am not much of a drinker at all. I might have wine or beer a few times a year but gosh, I braved a tiny bit of wine this pregnancy during a meal and I've been paranoid about it ever since. This is a big relief to me. I may actually sit down with an Irish cream at some point this week to celebrate.

I feel a little dorky right now though. I've been letting myself be led along my common wisdom when I might have done a little researchand dispensed with the guilt months ago.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I found interesting. Below is a quote from the article, including the part in brackets:

"In fact, in the current study, the kids of the light drinkers actually performed better on cognitive and adjustment scales than the never-drinkers or the pregnancy teetotalers.[These differences were slight, and possibly due to compounding factors. Specifically, studies consistently show that more intelligent folks tend to drink more alcohol, so cognitive differences could be due to genetic components. And I can totally understand how a woman who allowed herself an occasional glass of wine might raise a more well-adjusted kid. Or is that just me?]"

Edited by funschooler5
Didn't select all of the quote :)

Unfortunately there are some people who don't know how to stop after one or two a week. Then we end up with babies/children suffering from fetal alcohol syndrome. We seem to be an all or nothing society here in the US.

Agreed. But that's not me thankfully.

Baileys on ice this weekend. My back is going to love me for it.

Thanks, but no.

Wolf and all of his sibs except one have FASD to varying degrees.

No way on the planet I'd risk it. Just no way. Not when abstaining really isn't any big whoop.

But then, I don't even have 1-2 glasses of *anything* alcoholic when I'm not pregnant :lol:

I'd like to know how they convinced women to participate in the study though. "Here, try this...we *think* its safe..." :001_huh:

This is what I found interesting. Below is a quote from the article, including the part in brackets:

"In fact, in the current study, the kids of the light drinkers actually performed better on cognitive and adjustment scales than the never-drinkers or the pregnancy teetotalers.[These differences were slight, and possibly due to compounding factors. Specifically, studies consistently show that more intelligent folks tend to drink more alcohol, so cognitive differences could be due to genetic components. And I can totally understand how a woman who allowed herself an occasional glass of wine might raise a more well-adjusted kid. Or is that just me?]"

That is interesting.

In my family history however there is a direct link between gifted and alcoholic. The smarter they were, the more likely they were to become an alcoholic, and the worse their alcoholism was. So I guess I'm reading into it at a level that other people may not.

True story: When I was pregnant with my first son my FIL was celebrating his 60th bday. I was in my third trimester and DH and I asked my OB if I could have one glass of wine at my FIL's party to toast his special day. The OB answered with, "While I cannot actually give you permission to drink alcohol while pregnant, I can tell you that no evidence exists that would predict one glass of wine this far along in your pregnancy would do any harm."

We went out to lunch with my mom after the appt and she asked, "Oh, what did the doctor say about a glass of wine?" I immediately said "He said it was fine," at the same time my husband said "He said no"

I just thought it was hilarious that the doctor talked around the question and DH & I took away two totally different answers. :lol:

That is interesting.

In my family history however there is a direct link between gifted and alcoholic. The smarter they were, the more likely they were to become an alcoholic, and the worse their alcoholism was. So I guess I'm reading into it at a level that other people may not.

This is interesting, my dad is (was?) very very gifted intellectually and he's a very active, heavy alcoholic. My brother and I are both gifted, my brother drinks quite a bit. Before kids, I was what one may call a heavy social drinker, but since having kids and having a husband that travels for a living, I just don't drink that much anymore....

I used to have a friend who was a Doctor, when I was pregnant I remember her saying that they knew light drinking was ok but people are so bad at moderating themselves that they play on the safe side and say no drinking.

I also have a friend who adopted two kids with fetal alcohol syndrome and have seen how badly the kids are affected so can understand why advice is on the safe side.

Yep, I have been saying this for YEARS, that women in UK and other places seem to understand that you can drink in reasonable amounts, but they can't say that over here b/c (most/many/some) Americans cannot seem to understand the concept of moderation. :glare:

:iagree::iagree: You said it perfectly.

I get exhausted listening to some of my friends (and to an extent the news on TV), everything is the Best Thing Ever or a Total Tragedy How Will We Go On?.

I'm pregnant and I love wine and I put a lot of faith in actual scientific research. I read a similar study awhile ago but I still have this mental block when it comes to drinking while pregnant. I know it's completely irrational but I still don't drink when I'm pregnant. (Well, maybe one or two glasses the entire pregnancy). I don't have much longer to go, so I guess it doesn't hurt to abstain. It's good to know that the one or two glasses I do have while pregnant really can't hurt anything. And it may be true that when I open a bottle of wine, I occasionally don't stop when I should. I know I would be able to while pregnant, but I think the fear would always be lurking and that would negate any relaxation the wine would facilitate. :001_smile:

I agree with the interpretation for why light drinking while pregnant may be associated with better outcomes for the child. I think the all-or-nothing mentality of women who absolutely refuse to drink while pregnant (and judge others for doing so) may be related to an inability to understand subtleties in research and so on. That's mostly based on anecdotal evidence I've gathered from visiting free pregnancy message boards and the kinds of not-so-intelligent debates that pop up there.

Am I wrong in thinking the alcohol would pass through the placenta and into baby's bloodstream? I wouldn't want my fetus or babies to have alcohol in their bloodstream anyway, whether or not 1-2 drinks a week is going to give them Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. But maybe that's just me being weird. I don't drink caffeinated beverages while pregnant or nursing and don't drink alcohol at all. Although sometimes hearing how it helps you all cope makes me awfully tempted ;)

That's mostly based on anecdotal evidence I've gathered from visiting free pregnancy message boards and the kinds of not-so-intelligent debates that pop up there.

Oh, I totally agree with this. I frequented pregnancy message boards when I was pregnant with my first two kids. Anything that is outside current cultural thinking is automatically shunned, and people are made to feel like they are horrible mothers if they don't follow the "group-think." I had to bow out of going to those boards when I was pregnant with #3, as we were doing a homebirth, co-sleeping, (not to mention homeschooling...yeesh, I was attacked several times because I was a homeschooler). It was way to emotional for me.

That, and I got tired of wading through unintelligible messages that seemed to be posted by people who were barely literate. :tongue_smilie:

Am I wrong in thinking the alcohol would pass through the placenta and into baby's bloodstream? I wouldn't want my fetus or babies to have alcohol in their bloodstream anyway, whether or not 1-2 drinks a week is going to give them Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. But maybe that's just me being weird. I don't drink caffeinated beverages while pregnant or nursing and don't drink alcohol at all. Although sometimes hearing how it helps you all cope makes me awfully tempted ;)

In the sense that it passes directly from from to baby. It doesn't. It's processed by the mom's body and is carried over in the blood, yes, but there's no direct tranmission You can drink a glass of wine but you're baby won't be getting the same amount of alchohol from that glass that you get, just a small fraction. The point of the study is that the amount of alchohol that passes to the baby through that blood in light drinkers is not harmful. That the issue comes with heavier drinking and higher levels of alchohol. The alchohol itself isn't automatically a form of toxin, it's the levels the baby is exposed to that cause trouble, not the substance itself.

ETA: On further reading the baby doesn't actually receive your blood. Rather, in the placenta, nutrients from your blood are passed to the baby's blood. This is pretty cool stuff.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Specifically, studies consistently show that more intelligent folks tend to drink more alcohol, so cognitive differences could be due to genetic components.

I've long been fascinated by the connection between being smart and/or creative and drinking. As a literature nerd, I'm all too aware of the many stories of brilliant and gifted writers who crashed and burned due to alcoholism. And, in my own circle of friends, it seems like the brightet and most talented folks are the ones who've struggled with substance abuse problems to most.

It's one or many reasons I don't drink.

In the sense that it passes directly from from to baby. It doesn't. It's processed by the mom's body and is carried over in the blood, yes, but there's no direct tranmission You can drink a glass of wine but you're baby won't be getting the same amount of alchohol from that glass that you get, just a small fraction. The point of the study is that the amount of alchohol that passes to the baby through that blood in light drinkers is not harmful. That the issue comes with heavier drinking and higher levels of alchohol. The alchohol itself isn't automatically a form of toxin, it's the levels the baby is exposed to that cause trouble, not the substance itself.

ETA: On further reading the baby doesn't actually receive your blood. Rather, in the placenta, nutrients from your blood are passed to the baby's blood. This is pretty cool stuff.

Ohhhh ok. Thank you.

Eh, yeah, it does pass through, but then, so do most pain killers used in labor and delivery. Narcotics and even trace amounts of the meds in the epidural cross over. However, these drugs in limited amounts, and used with caution, are considered "safe." In the same way, limited amounts of alcohol are very unlikely to cause harm to the baby.

It's just our cultural Puritanical hindbrain that sends us into a tizzy that equates the results of heavy, consistent drinking habits, with any drinking at all.

I've long been fascinated by the connection between being smart and/or creative and drinking. As a literature nerd, I'm all too aware of the many stories of brilliant and gifted writers who crashed and burned due to alcoholism. And, in my own circle of friends, it seems like the brightet and most talented folks are the ones who've struggled with substance abuse problems to most.

It's one or many reasons I don't drink.

I quit drinking once I was old enough to notice the trend, which was sadly after many years of drinking but before I was legal age.

I just had Han Solo in Germany 6 months ago. My OB was German. He said a few glasses of wine a week was fine. You see pregnant women drinking wine at restaurants all the time over here. I think some Americans just don't know how to use moderation, so everyone must err on the side of caution to accommodate those who can't.

But that's true of people, period, not just Americans.

I think the difference is that we have a very infantilizing medical system, and our doctors treat women like idiots rather than responsible adults, and so they think that, 'Oh, if we tell those stupid women they can have one or two drinks, they'll go out and get drunk every night, so let's just tell them it's not allowed at all.' Although my OBs have always taken the attitude that an occasional drink isn't an issue.

I'm not a drinker generally, so it wasn't really an issue for me. I did have one or two drinks during my first two pregnancies, though, on special occasions when I would have drank anyway.

I'm pregnant and I love wine and I put a lot of faith in actual scientific research. I read a similar study awhile ago but I still have this mental block when it comes to drinking while pregnant. I know it's completely irrational but I still don't drink when I'm pregnant. (Well, maybe one or two glasses the entire pregnancy). I don't have much longer to go, so I guess it doesn't hurt to abstain. It's good to know that the one or two glasses I do have while pregnant really can't hurt anything. And it may be true that when I open a bottle of wine, I occasionally don't stop when I should. I know I would be able to while pregnant, but I think the fear would always be lurking and that would negate any relaxation the wine would facilitate. :001_smile:

I agree with the interpretation for why light drinking while pregnant may be associated with better outcomes for the child. I think the all-or-nothing mentality of women who absolutely refuse to drink while pregnant (and judge others for doing so) may be related to an inability to understand subtleties in research and so on. That's mostly based on anecdotal evidence I've gathered from visiting free pregnancy message boards and the kinds of not-so-intelligent debates that pop up there.

I think that mental block may be the power of social taboo. I'm definitely going to kick back with a Bailey's this weekend but I'm not sure if I'll have a drink at a family celebration next weekend or at Thanksgiving at the In-laws. I have a feeling I could quote the scientific literature all I wanted but my sister and/or MIL would still look at me like I killing my baby.

I think the difference is that we have a very infantilizing medical system, and our doctors treat women like idiots rather than responsible adults, and so they think that, 'Oh, if we tell those stupid women they can have one or two drinks, they'll go out and get drunk every night, so let's just tell them it's not allowed at all.' Although my OBs have always taken the attitude that an occasional drink isn't an issue.

:iagree:

Yup. My midwife likes you to avoid in the first trimester, but after that a half glass once or twice a week in encouraged. My sister however refused to let them dip her communion wafer in the wine at my daughter's baptism because it was "safer" than having that few drops one time in pregnancy. I didn't argue, but wanted to scream that there was more alcohol in the apple juice she was constantly drinking. And that the litany of drugs she planned on using during labor were also significantly stronger...but that is a whole nother can of worms.

Ugh. stupidity kills me.

Yep, I have been saying this for YEARS, that women in UK and other places seem to understand that you can drink in reasonable amounts, but they can't say that over here b/c (most/many/some) Americans cannot seem to understand the concept of moderation. :glare:

It's just our cultural Puritanical hindbrain that sends us into a tizzy that equates the results of heavy, consistent drinking habits, with any drinking at all.

Yup. My midwife likes you to avoid in the first trimester, but after that a half glass once or twice a week in encouraged.

Ugh. stupidity kills me.

I've never understood the logic behind prohibiting alcohol during pregnancy. I've always believed it was another fear tactic to protect people from themselves rather than believing most people are smart enough to know. I HATE being protecting from myself when the reality is I have a law or advisory because of the few who don't have the sense to know better. Same strange thing about tanning beds in pregnancy. (health of skin aside) Do all pregnant women need to avoid sun exposure of any kind?

I've never understood the logic behind prohibiting alcohol during pregnancy. I've always believed it was another fear tactic to protect people from themselves rather than believing most people are smart enough to know. I HATE being protecting from myself when the reality is I have a law or advisory because of the few who don't have the sense to know better. Same strange thing about tanning beds in pregnancy. (health of skin aside) Do all pregnant women need to avoid sun exposure of any kind?

Or driving, for that matter. If we're going to avoid everything that might potentially cause harm, driving should be the first to go.

I don't drink, so it's not a big deal. But, I also don't drive much, so I could give up driving just as easily as giving up drinking during pregnancy. But while people would think I was just being reasonably cautious if I said I abstained completely from drinking while pregnant, they'd think I was being a nut if I said I abstained completely from driving while pregnant, even though driving poses a much more significant risk. I can't say I've ever even met anybody who decided to limit their time in the car to only what was absolutely necessary when pregnant, even if they would never think to have a single drink.

If occasional drinking is a part of somebody's life or culture or whatever, then I don't see any reason why they should give that up when pregnant just to be on the safe side, anymore than somebody should give up driving just to be on the safe side.

I'm not a drinker generally, so it wasn't really an issue for me. I did have one or two drinks during my first two pregnancies, though, on special occasions when I would have drank anyway.

To the bolded: Isn't that the truth? I would love to find a doctor who isn't completely condescending about everything. :glare:

Thanks, but no.

No way on the planet I'd risk it. Just no way. Not when abstaining really isn't any big whoop.

But then, I don't even have 1-2 glasses of *anything* alcoholic when I'm not pregnant :lol:

I'd like to know how they convinced women to participate in the study though. "Here, try this...we *think* its safe..." :001_huh:

I understand your fear. I do. But my question is, what risk??? If every thing out there shows there is NO risk to small amounts of alcohol, then what risk are you referring to? My sister refused to even allow them to dip her communion wafer in the wine at church the one time she went while pregnant, "just to be safe" and I ignored it out of politeness. But I wanted to ask "safe from what??" There is no biological model that indicates or even hints that half a glass of wine every so often could possibly cause problems in a baby.

Is it that you think there is a flaw in the studies?

I just can't understand the idea that it is safer to have no alcohol than say, half a glass of wine in the third trimester, or take communion. I think all of the above have no risk.

I used to have a friend who was a Doctor, when I was pregnant I remember her saying that they knew light drinking was ok but people are so bad at moderating themselves that they play on the safe side and say no drinking.

I also have a friend who adopted two kids with fetal alcohol syndrome and have seen how badly the kids are affected so can understand why advice is on the safe side.

Yes, my former boss, a veterinarian, actually took care of the dogs used in the fetal alcohol studies years ago. She said that light drinking was totally safe, but they wouldn't publish that because people wouldn't stop at light drinking.

Yes, my former boss, a veterinarian, actually took care of the dogs used in the fetal alcohol studies years ago. She said that light drinking was totally safe, but they wouldn't publish that because people wouldn't stop at light drinking.

That just annoys me to no end. I don't even get it. Yes, if somebody is the kind of person who cannot stop at one drink, then they shouldn't drink while pregnant. But, that does not describe most women I know, at all.

Thanks, but no.

:iagree:I can not imagine drinking while preg. WHY! is your selfishness so strong that you can not give up a couple of drinks a week to insure your childs safety. What if in 3,5,15yrs they 'decide' that they were wrong once again and the damage can never be undone. Believe me, I have seen and worked with FAS kids. Sad!

I just had Han Solo in Germany 6 months ago. My OB was German. He said a few glasses of wine a week was fine. You see pregnant women drinking wine at restaurants all the time over here. I think some Americans just don't know how to use moderation, so everyone must err on the side of caution to accommodate those who can't.

I think that Europeans seem to exhibit more self-control. Honestly, Americans appear to have more problem with the pendulum swinging to extremes.

Personally, I think that issue could be more of a wine vs. 40 proof whiskey. Wine is pretty healthy. Hard licquer not so much.

Faith

I understand your fear. I do. But my question is, what risk??? If every thing out there shows there is NO risk to small amounts of alcohol, then what risk are you referring to? My sister refused to even allow them to dip her communion wafer in the wine at church the one time she went while pregnant, "just to be safe" and I ignored it out of politeness. But I wanted to ask "safe from what??" There is no biological model that indicates or even hints that half a glass of wine every so often could possibly cause problems in a baby.

Is it that you think there is a flaw in the studies?

I just can't understand the idea that it is safer to have no alcohol than say, half a glass of wine in the third trimester, or take communion. I think all of the above have no risk.

My husband has FASD. His younger brother, who also has it, makes his living giving presentations/lectures about it.

Honestly, I don't know if my husband having it would make our children potentially more susceptible or not, but its simply not a chance I'm willing to take. I'm not about to tsk anyone for the odd glass of wine, etc. My situation and extended family culture is unique, and I realize how much of an impact that has on my decision making for ME in this situation.

I think that Europeans seem to exhibit more self-control. Honestly, Americans appear to have more problem with the pendulum swinging to extremes.

Personally, I think that issue could be more of a wine vs. 40 proof whiskey. Wine is pretty healthy. Hard licquer not so much.

Faith

Europeans seem to have a much healthier view of drinking than Americans. Over here it's regulated beyond belief. I find it crazy.

Faith

The whisky better not be 40 proof, or someone has been cutting it in half (at least) with water ;) :D

I would not take the risk, BTW. But easy for me to say :tongue_smilie:

Bill

:iagree:I can not imagine drinking while preg. WHY! is your selfishness so strong that you can not give up a couple of drinks a week to insure your childs safety. What if in 3,5,15yrs they 'decide' that they were wrong once again and the damage can never be undone. Believe me, I have seen and worked with FAS kids. Sad!

Because there is NO proof that drinking a glass or two a week causes ANY harm, at all!

On the other hand, I bet many women have car wrecks that cause harm to unborn children, yet we keep getting in cars. To use this logic, no pregnant woman should go anywhere in a car during the whole nine months.

I resent being called selfish simply because I listen to research and weigh consequences.

Why? Why NOT?? What if I said no one should go out after dark when pregnant? Or wear the color purple? If it is safe, and everything has always indicated it is (there has NEVER been evidence to say it isn't safe to have a few drinks, ever), then why say it is selfish to do it? I just don't get it. IF it is safe, it is safe. Abstaining isn't safer if there is no risk.

Exercising to extreme in pregnancy is probably unsafe. Eating too much sugar in pregnancy is definitely bad for the baby and mom. But no one says "don't eat even a single piece of candy your whole pregnancy, just to be safe."

There is alcohol in ripe fruit for heavens sake. And most of the women I know that believe half a glass of wine is unsafe will a few weeks later beg for narcotics at the hospital. NOt sure how we as a society think narcotics in labor are "safe" and a woman's personal choice, but drinking alcohol in limited amounts is "risky" and "selfish" behavior.

I just don't get it.

Just like there was no evidence that smoking causes lung cancer.

Is there evidence showing that drinking in pregnancy does not affect the baby?

Yes. the study you just linked to, for starters. And several other studies. They showed harm at large amounts, but no harm in small doses. So yes, there have been multiple studies/experiments done,since the 70s, with the same result.

:iagree:I can not imagine drinking while preg. WHY! is your selfishness so strong that you can not give up a couple of drinks a week to insure your childs safety.

Wow...that's a little harsh, don't you think? There is NO research at all that indicates occasional light alcohol consumption will hurt an unborn child.

Hysteria over alcohol is tiresome.

The whisky better not be 40 proof, or someone has been cutting it in half (at least) with water ;) :D

I would not take the risk, BTW. But easy for me to say :tongue_smilie:

Bill

:lol::lol::lol:

Just for the record Bill, I am firmly convinced that if any man actually were pregnant for more than three or four weeks, he'd probably NEED Vodka tonics in order to survive! :D Sorry, you guys just aren't cut out for it.

Faith