Menu

The kids are so LOUD and I can't get away from them.

I go in the bathroom, run some water, and turn on the fan (which is quite loud).

Or I've been known to sit in the car.

When my kids were young we had quiet time everyday and that really helped my nerves. I find that being outdoors with noisy kids tends to dull the noise. Also, I made sure to get out of the house one evening a week without them.

I go into my closet. It's inside the master bathroom, so when I go in there I close the door to my room, the door to the bathroom, and then the door to the closet. That usually makes it pretty quiet.

Then I eat chocolate or drink a Diet Dr Pepper :D

By the time I'm done, my blood pressure has lowered and I can deal with whatever they've done while I was in my Quiet Place.

FWIW, I also go there to cry - LOL. DH knows that if the kids are a wreck and I'm not around, I'm probably in the closet crying :lol:.

Well, when yelling "BE QUIET!!!!" doesn't work, I hide in the closet with a bottle of wine, and after a while I don't care any more....

Heh heh.....er.....:leaving:

Seriously, I tell them my ears are extra-sensitive, so if they do their best to be quiet, I will do my best not to be crabby. Sometimes I send them outside or to their room to play, and if it gets really bad, I give each boy a book and send them to separate spots to read for a while.

:grouphug: I feel your pain.

Cat

I teach them to use quiet voices in the house, and take their play outside if they want to be noisy.

I've had my four plus three or four others here, and you couldn't tell there was a single kid in the house.

My friend has kids like this and I just won't tolerate it. I know that sounds harsh but there is no reason to be loud to that level inside a house. When they are over I just tell them that if they can't be quiet they have to go outside. My ears are actually very sensitive and with hardwood floors and high ceilings it is just magnified.

I put on headphones and do heavy damage to my ear drums to be sure I'm blocking out all peripheral noise :) Then I close my eyes and ignore the "Mom!" pokes. They eventually get the drift.

If I can swing it, I take a hot bath. They know better than to interrupt if it's one of Those Days. It relaxes me and brings me back around to tolerable, too.

I don't allow our kids to get really loud in our house. It's all open concept, wood floors, etc. Loud voices are for outside. Send them outside!:001_smile:

You're sick. If you don't want the loudness, have them go to a room and shut the door. Tell them you're sick and you need quiet. If they can't be quiet, have them go to their individual rooms for a quiet activity or reading.

Or plop them in front of a movie.

Screaming/marching band loudness usually gets sent outside, but I'm not going to force my kids to be quiet as mice in the house. Additionally, I know for a fact that it's not so much that my kids are all that loud, but that my ears are super-sensitive- so the onus is on *me* to modulate the noise. In other words: I use ear plugs or headphones. :D

I would really, really, really love a pair of the Bose noise-cancelling headphones....

We have hard floors in our school and play areas. Even if the children aren't being loud, the sounds of dropped toys and multiple voices at once can get to me, especially if I'm short on sleep. And this is with lots of books and furniture to absorb the sound. (When we'd just moved in, it was 1000x worse.)

Right now, I'm just doing a version of the "hide in the closet" technique. But I'm thinking about putting cork on a couple of the walls. Has anyone tried this?

Screaming/marching band loudness usually gets sent outside, but I'm not going to force my kids to be quiet as mice in the house.

:iagree: It's their house, too. Although I like it to be quieter, I don't want them to hate living here and feel like it's a tomb. We compromise by them going outside when I just can't deal with it, and me going to my closet to deal with it :)

I give myself a time out in the room and tell them not to bother me :) Growing up, we were not allowed to raise our voices in the house. In reflecting with my girlfriend, she thought my home was a tomb. She hated coming over. I do have a limit of how loud they can get though. I must say, I have also learned to be pretty good about tuning out....My hubby wonders how that can be when they are so loud!:D

I can't get away from them because as soon as I do the 4 year old runs down the street or someone injures themselves, or needs something and is seriously stunted emotionally due to the fact that I don't help them. :glare:

I ended up paying DD $2 to keep her brother happy long enough to take a shower.

I might be asking for those headphones.

:iagree: It's their house, too. Although I like it to be quieter, I don't want them to hate living here and feel like it's a tomb. We compromise by them going outside when I just can't deal with it, and me going to my closet to deal with it :)

being loud outside and playing nicely inside certainly isn't going to make my kids hate living here or make them feel like they're living in a tomb. :confused: It's the way we live, the way we always have lived, and is our normal. If I was in a house with a bunch of very loud kids, not only would I probably get a migraine, I'd be absolutely drained.

I can say my husband works from home two days per week, but really, that doesn't matter at all. Running, rough housing and loud/yelling voices happen outside here. Even when ds19 is home visiting and the girls start to get loud, he is uncomfortable.

Not to say we're a quiet family! Loud laughter and joking is one thing, being loud/yelling is another imo.

being loud outside and playing nicely inside certainly isn't going to make my kids hate living here or make them feel like they're living in a tomb. :confused: It's the way we live, the way we always have lived, and is our normal. If I was in a house with a bunch of very loud kids, not only would I probably get a migraine, I'd be absolutely drained.

I can say my husband works from home two days per week, but really, that doesn't matter at all. Running, rough housing and loud/yelling voices happen outside here. Even when ds19 is home visiting and the girls start to get loud, he is uncomfortable.

Not to say we're a quiet family! Loud laughter and joking is one thing, being loud/yelling is another imo.

:iagree: