Menu

Unbelievably frustrated!

Mommy to monkeys

My 8 year old complains and pouts when I ask him to do anything. He's very bright, and I think I've made the mistake of just reading to him and letting him read and learn yada yada. . .this has led to him resisting when I ask him to actually put forth an EFFORT.

He complained for an hour before starting this morning(this is not abnormal), after which he completed his CLE 307 lesson, his CTGE, Italic handwriting, and Daily grams in less than 40 minutes. . with no mistakes. So it's not that he's incapable. He's just so lazy. Then we sat down to do FIAR this afternoon. This works so great with my 6 year old dd, but he just complained that he all ready knew everything, and he'd rather just read. I even let him dictate his "first person point of view" lesson from FIAR TO me, and he still complained . . .I got twice as much from his little sister than I did from him.

I could just revert to letting him do "interest led" reading; it's really tempting. I'm pregnant with my 5th kiddo, and I don't have the energy for a daily test of wills. But I really feel like this is selling this kid short. I know he's capable of so much more. I don't want him to turn into one of those really smart. . .but proud and lazy people.:glare:

Words of wisdom please.

What's the repercussion for this behaviour?

Here, doing school work with a good attitude is required. If you don't want to do that, feel free to hang out in your room, not doing schoolwork, but then understand you do not get to do anything else either. No electronics, no outside with friends, all out-of house activities for the day cancelled (ie park days, field trips, classes,*etc). Essentially the child, NOT ME, choose to give up everything he enjoys, but also choose to be lazy.

BUT that only lasts a day and by the next day, the child is revving to get their work done, because they want that fun stuff back.

And for the the older children, DS8 and DS13 (not that this is much of a problem anymore for DS13, he's been through that phase and now knows it's just easier to get his work done with a good attitude), that also means they have "homework" on Sunday a.m.....as by skipping a day's worth of work, means they are off schedule (my schedule) and need to make that up.

This is all done without yelling (for the most part, I'm not perfect though, lol). I am seething inside, frustrated as all get out, but they don't know. I am calm, cool and collected on the outside. Good attitude, or choose to be in your room. I am NOT going to spend my time arguing with you, just not going to do it. If you don't want to do your work, I have alot of other things I can be doing. Let me know if you want to get started (BTW, there is a time limit on this offer too. Don't come to me at 4 p.m. and tell me you are ready, I am waaay off on my to-do list by that point of the day.) Usually by 12 p.m., if the child is still having the attitude and has chosen to be in his room, I announced that my school day is over and the work will have to be completed another day (This ensures the child now understands his choice, there's no going back and trying to get it done now to make sure he still gets his fun stuff for the day. Nope, deal's done now).

So, my point...repercussions. What are they in your house for the bad attitude?

When my ds 7 complains/pouts/fiddles around, he gets pushups. I stop it dead in its tracks, otherwise it is likely to become an all out battle.

I remind my kids that they don't hear me complaining about cleaning the house, prepping lessons, reading to them, cooking their meals etc...so I expect them to do their schoolwork without complaint. That is their job.

Now, if they come and talk to me about their schoolwork, share their opinions, and do it respectfully, then I will listen. My dd hated her English. She gave me legitimate reasons on why we should switch. She did it respectfully. So I ordered a different English for her.

So the next time your ds complains, you could have him do something undesirable and physically draining like pushups or running around the outside of the house 10 times. Immediately. It may take some time, but he will learn that complaints earn him a just reward. :) Oh, and I just thought of something. You could list chores on pieces of paper and for each complaint, he randomly picks a chore out of the jar that must be completed before playtime...washing the walls for 15 minutes, scrubbing all toilets top to bottom, scrubbing tile with a toothbrush for 15 minutes etc...I may have to use this idea with my ds!

Whining in my house get another lesson of whatever you're whining about and a nap. Usually an early bedtime, also. They must need sleep since they are so tired they are whining. ;)

I would change your expectations. Schoolwork should be done cheerfully or there will be consequences. No whining, good attitude - you can play after school time and see your friends. Bad attitude or whining - nap time and no friends. Then enforce it. :)

What's the repercussion for this behaviour?

Here, doing school work with a good attitude is required. If you don't want to do that, feel free to hang out in your room, not doing schoolwork, but then understand you do not get to do anything else either. No electronics, no outside with friends, all out-of house activities for the day cancelled (ie park days, field trips, classes,*etc). Essentially the child, NOT ME, choose to give up everything he enjoys, but also choose to be lazy.

BUT that only lasts a day and by the next day, the child is revving to get their work done, because they want that fun stuff back.

And for the the older children, DS8 and DS13 (not that this is much of a problem anymore for DS13, he's been through that phase and now knows it's just easier to get his work done with a good attitude), that also means they have "homework" on Sunday a.m.....as by skipping a day's worth of work, means they are off schedule (my schedule) and need to make that up.

This is all done without yelling (for the most part, I'm not perfect though, lol). I am seething inside, frustrated as all get out, but they don't know. I am calm, cool and collected on the outside. Good attitude, or choose to be in your room. I am NOT going to spend my time arguing with you, just not going to do it. If you don't want to do your work, I have alot of other things I can be doing. Let me know if you want to get started (BTW, there is a time limit on this offer too. Don't come to me at 4 p.m. and tell me you are ready, I am waaay off on my to-do list by that point of the day.) Usually by 12 p.m., if the child is still having the attitude and has chosen to be in his room, I announced that my school day is over and the work will have to be completed another day (This ensures the child now understands his choice, there's no going back and trying to get it done now to make sure he still gets his fun stuff for the day. Nope, deal's done now).

So, my point...repercussions. What are they in your house for the bad attitude?

:iagree: though I'm not doing a very good job on the "calmly" part of carrying this out. Doing one's work should have benefits (a paycheck, vacation time, satisfaction with a completed project). What can be the benefits of a child completing their work? Free time, satisfaction with being finished, etc. Charlotte Mason talks about this somewhere. She recommends having a set time limit for a child to complete his work. If he finishes sooner, he has extra free time, if not he makes up the work when he'd rather be doing something else.

Agree with previous posters. I also use the "you must need more sleep" argument and they get an early bedtime. And if they resist an activity (like maybe writing here), that's a sign that they need MORE work in that area to make it easier. If they're complaining about it, it must still be hard and they just need more practice.

But I would suggest that maybe he's getting a bit old for FIAR? You read the same story everyday 5 days in a row, right? Sounds like he's ready to just be reading for the love of reading. I wouldn't want to keep reading the same book either. Maybe choose some more challenging reading for him that you will read also and then you can discuss it together.

Edited by Ali in OR

But I would suggest that maybe he's getting a bit old for FIAR? You read the same story everyday 5 days in a row, right? Sounds like he's ready to just be reading for the love of reading. I wouldn't want to keep reading the same book either. Maybe choose some more challenging reading for him that you will read also and then you can discuss it together.

:iagree:

We had quite a bit of whining from the 9 year old (none from the 7 year old). I pointed it out and explained it was not acceptable. I also started little rewards to reward DD who was modelling good behavior :D

He's pretty darn passive. . .so by complaining I mean: big giant sigh, immediate drop in countenance when he's asked to do ANYTHING.

This morning there were tears. No audible crying. Just tears. He has this victim mentality. "Oh woe is me. . .mom makes me work" and then, "oh woe is me, I have extra chores to do because I didn't work". These aren't things he says. . .just his demeanor.

This morning his consequences were. . .by the time he was done having his pity party, all the other kids were playing with Grampa and he's was just starting. That seemed like enough at the time.

I've thought about both the physical repercussions like uncomfortable excercise, and additional writing. . .like writing sentences. I've done this some but obviously not been consistent enough.

As for him being too old for FIAR. . .yeah I'm getting that, but I just don't know what to do with him. :confused: When I read books aloud that interested HIM, my 6 year old was completely lost. With FIAR, my 6 year old is engaged but my son is bored. And I don't want to just READ to him anymore. This kid needs to learn to work. Ugh

As for him being too old for FIAR. . .yeah I'm getting that, but I just don't know what to do with him. :confused: When I read books aloud that interested HIM, my 6 year old was completely lost. With FIAR, my 6 year old is engaged but my son is bored. And I don't want to just READ to him anymore. This kid needs to learn to work. Ugh

I have one child that is the passive sigher, silent tears type and I find it almost more difficult to deal with than the child that will throw all out temper fits :grouphug: Maybe if you make a list with him as to the consequences of his behavior that would help. My 10yod was doing the silent rebellion routine earlier this year and one evening I finally sat down with him and made a list, if you do this, this is what will happen first, then this and then this. I haven't had any trouble (past the first consequence since).

Regarding the material you're using, you can see my age ranges and I understand completely the convenience of keeping them together because it encourages so much interaction and honestly, it's tons easier than running seperate programs. I had to make a tough decision this year to split my middle kids (10yods, 7yods, 6yods) because they were just at different levels and had such different personalities that one program just wasn't doing them any favors.

So, I'm running different curriculums with them each and I'm busy, busy, busy, but I see great improvement in my quiet rebeller because he can see that he is learning things and doing things reserved just for him and he is being challenged.

Just some thoughts that may help.

Sounds like a bad case of 8 to me.

8 was a bad year around here, 9 was better. Oh, I can still hear the sighing. :lol:

Now he is 11 and is a delightful child, I promise.

I just didn't take it that seriously. He grew out of it. No one would ever call my son a slacker these days. But when he was 8.......

I seem to remember my mantra was "If you would stop complaining you would be done by now" I should have had that tattoo'd on my forehead.

Oh, that was the age that white boards became my friend! I just made a list of what we had to accomplish for the day and I told him that he was excused when it was all crossed off. I told him he was in charge of how it happened, but no playtime until it was done. I could help him or not as determined by him..but no leaving the table until it was done. Ok, I let him have breaks as determined by him and even set the timer at his request. That was fine. I also really tried to NOT let the list become overwhelming. 8 seems so big, but it really is not, kwim? I did a lot of writing for him, acting as his scribe. That helped quite a lot.

To this day, the first thing he asks me to do in the morning is to make his list. Then, he tackles it!

I have one just like this, he's 10. :glare:

What I do is.. Get him all independent curricula. Everyday he eats breakfast with all of us and we do some bible reading and discussions. He does his work room for the most part but can go anywhere that's not interrupting anyone. When he's done he comes to get me so I can go over his work with him and make sure he's completed it all. Privileges are earned ( tv, video games, computer, friends, etc.) and if he decides not to do his work he doesn't have any privileges (so he doesn't get any of those things until he's done). Just like if you decide not to go to work, you don't get paid. He is starting to grow out of it, so I've been debating if I should continue with this or try to combine him with my 8 year old daughter.

Edited by Love HSing
Reworded my post..

My 8 year old complains and pouts when I ask him to do anything. He's very bright, and I think I've made the mistake of just reading to him and letting him read and learn yada yada. . .this has led to him resisting when I ask him to actually put forth an EFFORT.

I could have written this paragraph word for word with the exception of age - my son is 10yo. I feel your pain!

Now I'm off to read the pearls of wisdom that others have given above. Very thankful for those!

Hmmm. If he's bright, flying through a ton of work at once with zero errors, and complaining that he knows everything in FIAR already, I think he might need more challenge. It sounds like he's bored and doesn't need to actually think much in his work right now. I'd try more challenge (along with making it clear that grumping around for an hour isn't allowed, even if he's bored :tongue_smilie:). He might grump for a little while at a new challenge too, but if it will be worth it in the long run.

I do think at the very least a checklist is in order. And I KNOW he's bored. I had this discussion with my father in law and husband this afternoon. I'm not challenging him. I've tried doing my 6 and 8 year old together many different ways, and I just don't think there's a way to make it work.:glare:

And yes he is reading well, but I'm not particularly fond of the idea of making him be COMPLETELY independent(and I'm definitely not locking him in his room till he's done:lol:). I want him to be somewhat independent at this age, but I still think the "together time" is good for him. It feels a bit like a break for him. . .I just have to find something to CHALLENGE him.

I can't do anything super duper teacher intensive, but we need to do more than just read.:confused: I'm at a loss. Tomorrow is another day. . .I'll have a checklist for him.;)

I had re read my post and realized that I made him sound awful! He really is a great kid. He's very sweet and loving and HELPFUL in other areas. . .we're just struggling at schooltime. {insert big sigh here}

I do think at the very least a checklist is in order. And I KNOW he's bored. I had this discussion with my father in law and husband this afternoon. I'm not challenging him. I've tried doing my 6 and 8 year old together many different ways, and I just don't think there's a way to make it work.:glare:

And yes he is reading well, but I'm not particularly fond of the idea of making him be COMPLETELY independent(and I'm definitely not locking him in his room till he's done:lol:). I want him to be somewhat independent at this age, but I still think the "together time" is good for him. It feels a bit like a break for him. . .I just have to find something to CHALLENGE him.

I can't do anything super duper teacher intensive, but we need to do more than just read.:confused: I'm at a loss. Tomorrow is another day. . .I'll have a checklist for him.;)

I had re read my post and realized that I made him sound awful! He really is a great kid. He's very sweet and loving and HELPFUL in other areas. . .we're just struggling at schooltime. {insert big sigh here}

:grouphug: I always thought I would combine mine.... Nope. Not going to work. I read aloud to both of them at the same time, and we do science together. That's it for togetherness, lol. My kids are much happier when they have to really think a bit every day. It's worth the extra time it takes to teach them separately to have the peace otherwise. You can even add something totally new--throw some cursive or Spanish or something else completely different from the usual at him.

You've gotten some great input here, and I wanted to add a few suggestions. It does sound like your bright little guy is bored, on top of wanting to push the boundaries (ds8 is doing that here too). I've had to split up a lot more here too, to keep them all engaged, and while it's a little more work, it is SO worth it. Here are some easy things to check out that wouldn't require buying a whole curriculum, that perhaps you might like since you like FIAR:

Ambleside Online - check out year one, looks simple, but the literature is a whole different style so don't be afraid to start at the beginning. He reads, or you read to him (we sometimes take turns reading), and then he narrates. Period. The end. It sounds like it would be right up his alley. I have my guy do copywork from one of his daily readings, and he loves to illustrate the page - it's his favorite part of the day.

Milestones Academy - love the book choices there, same idea. Both curriculums expose the kids to a wide range of books, a "rich feast" as Charlotte Mason would say; we use bits of both along with other things. Pick and choose if you like, but they give you guidelines.

Simply Charlotte Mason has some other great lit suggestions and articles on doing school this way.

Having a daily list/planner written out is also huge for my son - he loves to cross things off!

First, make sure he knows ahead of time what the expectations are. If he doesn't have something like workboxes or a daily schedule, make one up and show it to him. Talk about it with him in the afternoon or evening, sometime that he is well-fed, well-rested, and not already in conflict with you. Then let him know you expect him to do it without complaining. (I've been known to ask my kids if they want me to heavy-sigh when it's time for me to make dinner for them, LOL! "Would that bless you?")

Second, if he starts in, just send him to his room. No big deal, just say, "When you're ready to apologize, come find me." Whenever he comes, have him apologize, (we would always pray also at that point), and start again. Subtle & silent tantrums are from the same internal motivation as the throwing-pencil/screaming kinds of ones--they are just from kids who know what they can and can't get away with. And since he can later do the work easily & it's not a matter of learning disabilities--it may just be a stall tactic, or a lack of understanding what's expected. Lay it out clearly & then refuse to listen to his tantrums. Not 5 minutes, much less an hour.

Let him know that reading with you, answering questions, narrating etc... is all expected, and if possible let him know the night before what's coming up the next day.

I have a son who very much needs to know what's coming, LOL!

Hang in there!

Merry :-)

I know I've probably said this enough this year to make it seem like an advert for the company, but seriously, Moving Beyond The Page has changed our year. They're *just* lit guides, but with activities for every section of the book. I've gotten them for the reading levels between 8 and 13yo and they all have that in common, with the student able to read the instructions or do the activity (except random cooking ones) with minimal help. It goes at a faster pace than FIAR, but the good part is it's all right there ready to be copied or read from the manual and you're off.

:iagree: I agree with many of the great suggestions here. Bored is always an invitation to problems. I added a checklist this year, and it's been very helpful. (While my DS is older, he has serious problems with organization.) We also have consequences for failure to complete assignments.

The only thing I can think to add is an idea that I picked up from another homeschooling mom. She keeps a special list of chores, things that need to be done but rarely get done. My son's attitude has been better than last year, so I haven't had to use my attitude chore list yet. I do have one ready, featuring items like scrubbing the baseboards and cleaning out the giant rolling trash cans that go to the curb. Of course, the chores need to be age appropriate.

So did you get it sorted out? I always hate coming in late. :) I do want to say I *don't* think in general kids are lazy. IN GENERAL they want to please us. And when it's not going well, it means there's either a problem (a physical problem, a medical problem, an LD, a combo of those) or something we're not catching onto on our end (personality mismatch of how you work together, etc.). I particularly like the book "Do What You Are" and the spinoff book on motherstyles. You might find both interesting.

My first thought when I read your saga is that you need to get him into some more independent stuff that is more challenging. The VP history would be great for that. It's self-paced, online, and would take nothing from you to implement. It's AWESOME, and they're still running the free one-month trial offer. Go check it out. For writing, my dd at that age dd WT2. The format was particularly good for us, with the once a week lesson meeting time and the rest of the assignments as homework. Not only could you have content issues boring him, but he might like a change in how you work together. You might find him more proactive with much harder assignments or things that are more consuming. For instance he might like to assemble a model from the models section of Hobby Lobby or make a diorama using the stuff from there. Then have him go back and read and write about it. One project, more engagement, more mature. A gifted child doesn't need to pussyfoot around with CLE. It might be good, but he could get just as solid with 1/3 the amount of work.

Don't teach what he already knows. Sounds kinda obvious, but somehow we always forget when we see that nice curriculum popping up with those things in the toc. We figure surely we haven't done as good a job or good enough. Well sometimes we *have* and we just need to rest in that. Sometimes their own method of acquisition is going to get them far enough, and they'll just self-fill in the gaps later. Don't assume you have to do it all perfectly. You don't WANT to with a gifted child.

Not much else. Oh, enjoy being pregnant. Let him be more independent so you can enjoy being pregnant. Pay the money to get his subjects more independent, so you can enjoy being pregnant. We lost (or at least that's the way it felt) a lot of time in 4th and 5th grade to pregnancy, the baby, etc. I don't regret it now. What feels like a big deal now WON'T be later. A little bit done efficiently is enough. Lots of reading. Lots of logic games. Lots of audiobooks. Lots of cool science dvds. Lots of kits from Hobby Lobby. Online history. Just chill and let it happen. :)

The past couple of days have been sooo much better.

I had "the chat" with him about having to do what's required with a GOOD attitude. . .then I listened to him.

He said he doesn't like when he has to wait for me and he doesn't like all the "easy books." Fair enough

I HAD been doing a modified version of AO with him and his younger sister which had gone ok for him, but completely LOST her.

So I'm sticking with FIAR for her, but bumped him back up to some more challenging readings. I put those on his checklist along with his written work. He has to do 2 written things before completing a reading. We're still doing an afternoon read aloud and the evening one, but I'm letting him do more on his own than I have before.

Oh my word! His narrations are so much better. They are thorough and so well conveyed and his little eyes are so much happier. I've also been having him find the places he reads about on the map and then calling me over to show me instead of pointing everything out for him. I'm a little shocked at how much he has actually absorbed.

Side note--I still really love looking at new things. Moving Beyond the Page is intriguing.

What is WT2? VP is Veritas Press, yes?

Anyway. . .I'm much less stressed today.:)

That much difference just from some more challenging reading? Sounds like it's not just the age difference, but he's also a faster learner, & moving him to more independent work would be better entirely.

Obviously some things, such as languages, narrations, memory work, nature study, etc cannot be done by just reading. But I'd argue that almost EVERYTHING else can.

A Robinson sort of list with living books can easily teach reading, grammar, vocabulary, science, history, etc IF you have the sort of child who is motivated to learn & do the reading. Sounds like he is. Life of Fred is a math curriculum that teaches the concepts with a story & then asks for follow up questions to be sure the child really understands the concepts. Some kids need more repetition & review than that, but Life of Fred might be a great option for him.

Maybe print out a robinson-style booklist, or even a self-directed form such as he needs to read (2) science books, (2) historical biographies, or whatever YOU think he needs- you could even specify the era/area if you want, and let HIM pick out his interests from the library. My guess is this kid is very gifted, and with a little bit of structure will learn much more much faster if you just get out of his way. After all, what's the point of homeschooling if you're sticking to a structure he doesn't need and holding him back? That's exactly what would happen in a public school.

Depending on the kid, I might even just give him a booklist, math assignment, spelling/vocab words to work on for the week, and after that let him go. I mean, keep him in the same room so you're sure he's ACTUALLY doing work and not goofing off with screen time or something, but otherwise? Have a 20 minute checkup at the end of the school day & go over math, reading, a brief narration, any questions he has, etc...

Obviously this depends greatly on learning styles and doesn't work for every kid. Sounds like his sister, for example, needs (or at least wants) much more of your attention.

My DS would so love to just have open play and no seat work, last year was much easier for him because our lesson schedule was such that he really never had seat work beyond an hour a day. This year the material is much more challenging and we have a lot more to get done each day, so seat time is about double what it was last year.

I tried breaking it up into two sessions. That just made the second in the afternoon much more difficult to get started. So I blocked two hours in the morning to do the seat lessons and if he's done his work, and done it well earlier, he's done. If he's dilly-dallied and not gotten much done by the end of our two hours, he owes me time now.

What I've done is remind him it's his job to do his school work, and that job requires two hours a day at the table with me, doing his lessons that require seat time. If he wastes time, he's wasting his time; but he still has to do the work - I just move any unfinished work to Saturday, his day off from any seat work school work (Sunday he has religion class to go to, but that's about it other than some reading).

Took just two Saturdays of having to sit and catch up with what he'd gotten himself behind with for that to stop. Does he still complain? Sometimes, but a quick reminder about our Saturday make-up time seems to work to get him to buckle under and do the lessons with me during the week.

That much difference just from some more challenging reading? Sounds like it's not just the age difference, but he's also a faster learner, & moving him to more independent work would be better entirely.

Obviously this depends greatly on learning styles and doesn't work for every kid. Sounds like his sister, for example, needs (or at least wants) much more of your attention.

I think it's a combo of better readings. . .and the checklist.

He's been able to get a big chunk done first thing in the morning before his younger siblings are even awake.

I want to let him move toward being more independent BUT I want good narrations and to be able to move toward some written ones.

He actually has his own kindle and has many of the Robinson books on there. It's kind of hard to keep up with him though. He reads them faster than I can find more. His current assigned literature (where I make him narrate) is Hans Brinker; he chose it and seems to like it.

Next up is Swallowdale (He already did Swallows and Amazons and LOVED it, so he's looking forward to this one)

His sister isn't slow by any means, but she sure like attention, so having MAKING more 1 on 1 time with her is good I think.;)

My DS would so love to just have open play and no seat work, last year was much easier for him because our lesson schedule was such that he really never had seat work beyond an hour a day. This year the material is much more challenging and we have a lot more to get done each day, so seat time is about double what it was last year.

I tried breaking it up into two sessions. That just made the second in the afternoon much more difficult to get started. So I blocked two hours in the morning to do the seat lessons and if he's done his work, and done it well earlier, he's done. If he's dilly-dallied and not gotten much done by the end of our two hours, he owes me time now.

What I've done is remind him it's his job to do his school work, and that job requires two hours a day at the table with me, doing his lessons that require seat time. If he wastes time, he's wasting his time; but he still has to do the work - I just move any unfinished work to Saturday, his day off from any seat work school work (Sunday he has religion class to go to, but that's about it other than some reading).

Took just two Saturdays of having to sit and catch up with what he'd gotten himself behind with for that to stop. Does he still complain? Sometimes, but a quick reminder about our Saturday make-up time seems to work to get him to buckle under and do the lessons with me during the week.

We HAVE to do two sessions. When my little ones have afternoon nap is our most productive time, but there's no way I want to just save afternoon to get it all done. We do well with an 1 1/2 in the morning and then the rest later.;)

I have had some serious stalling before, but never so much that it runs over to another day.