Menu

Front Load Washer Advice Please?

Well I think my washer died yesterday. It is two years old. It needs new bearings as it is leaving grease all over the clothes. I broke the door seal accidently. (Don't ask) And now it will not run just sits there. We have five children so I know it has seen more than it's fair share of use. But Two years??? The silver lining is that this washer saved us $160 a year on our water bill or $320 total. SO, you could say taking that off the price of the washer we bought a washer for $130.00.. Any recommendations on a good brand of washer? Conserving water is a necessity. Would you recommend an extended warranty? I have always heard no but my previous washer was four years old when it died. I am beginning to think I am cursed.. And I am sure this goes without saying but I cannot spend a lot. This last one was $440.00 I am thinking in the 600-700 range? Maybe? Thanks in advance!:bigear:

We just had our 3yo duet fixed with a major $$$ repair. Tg we did the extended warranty. We used to avoid extended warranties but started 7 years ago because we found things aren't mad the way they used to be. We have cashed in on our fridge extended warranty as well. I'm not convinced the duet is as good as our old water hog top loader.

We did get the extended warranty on our FL washer. No problems yet (Frigidaire Affinity, just over two years but for medical reasons we do at least 2 loads per day 7 days a week). I like knowing the warranty is there. It's the first extended we bought but we did it because we're finding new appliances just don't hold up.

I bought a top loader HE washer to replace my Maytag Neptune. The Maytag was TERRIBLE and actually contributed to the ruin of my Neptune dryer. :nono: The repair man AND the salesman urged me to stay away from front-loaders.

The one I have now is a Cabrio (I think).

We bought a Samsung FLer pair almost 2 years ago. We bought the washer/dryer on "Black Friday" at Sears and have been very pleased with them.

The only thing we've done is regular maintenance -- cleaning the filter and running it on the "clean" cycle once in a while.

Buy any "extras"/accessories when you buy the machine (stack kit, pedestals, etc.) as they may/may not carry them down the road when you decide you want them.

The only other advice is to buy a larger capacity than you *think* you need, clean/change the filters as directed and use only HE detergent.

We bought the cheapest Kenmore FL in 2004. So far, seven years with five of us and a few years worth of washing cloth diapers. Cloth diapers were a pain because the washer doesn't have many cycle options and we have hard water. I would have to trick the washer and pour extra gallons in through the detergent dispenser and let them soak overnight. Aside from the inconvenience of very few cycle/water level options, it still runs beautifully. Maybe the newer Kenmores have more cycle options.

We've had a Samsung, Frigidaire and currently have a Bosch. The Samsung was good. It stayed with the last house we had. The Frigidaire came with this house and died at the 7 years-old mark, just as many websites predicted. I'll never buy a Frigidaire. Then we got a great deal on a Bosch and I am very happy with it.

We've had our LG four years now and still going strong. We have to clean the filter fairly regularly but we have several shedding animals in the house so it gets plugged with fur.

We always buy the extended warranty on exspenive electronics and appliances and it has been a wise investment more than once.

Ask the nice people on this website- http://applianceguru.com/

Most of them are repair men on it. So far, everything I have bought on their recommendations is running great. I got my LG front loader recommendation from them. It runs several loads a day and sings to me.They even explained to me how to repair another appliance in my house. Saved me 300 dollars for what was really a 70 dollar part.

Our Cabrio just died ($800 to repair it) It was less than 5 years old. We live on a hobby farm and have six family members. We wash almost daily. Still, I was shocked that it was so broken.

While shopping for a new one, I asked if washers had become a disposable item. We bought a Samsung FL washer that has good reviews from Consumer Reports and good ratings at the stores that sell it. But, so did the Cabrio, so we also purchased a pricey 5 year warranty. Sigh.

We have a Whirlpool Duet. I don't remember how much it cost. We got it in 2005. We haven't had to do anything to it except empty the filter once.

Our Whirpool Duet front loader set is 9.5 years old and they've been moved across country and reinistalled. I imagine they've done enough loads for 15 years. Other than some minor maintenance stuff (sock stuck in the drain, etc) we've never had them repaired. I LOVE my Duet and I'd get another set. Stay away from the Sport set, though. They are made in Mexico and tend to have more problems. The full size Duets should all still be German.

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

If you are handy you may be able to fix it for a fraction of the cost. The main thing I have learned from the FL is that you CAN'T slam the doors. We recently had a power surge and both washer and dryer boards got fried. I love them and was able to repair both for $200. The Frigidaire had tests to check to find where the issue is. I had issues last year and had to have Sears out to look at it. He said the drain pump was going to need to be replaced... $365 for part and service. I took apart the pump and found a screw holding the drain fan it place. Removed screw and abracadabra it worked! Not $365!! I would spend the $65 fee to have him out again if needed to tell me what was wrong and then see if it repairable.

Beth

If you are handy you may be able to fix it for a fraction of the cost. The main thing I have learned from the FL is that you CAN'T slam the doors. We recently had a power surge and both washer and dryer boards got fried. I love them and was able to repair both for $200. The Frigidaire had tests to check to find where the issue is. I had issues last year and had to have Sears out to look at it. He said the drain pump was going to need to be replaced... $365 for part and service. I took apart the pump and found a screw holding the drain fan it place. Removed screw and abracadabra it worked! Not $365!! I would spend the $65 fee to have him out again if needed to tell me what was wrong and then see if it repairable.

Beth

We did some diagnostic test on it. And supposedly the drain pump is not plugged. My husband is handy I am just good at finding ways to spend his money apparently.:tongue_smilie: Good to know that the boards are not too expensive. If we decide to replace it he is very sweet and does as much of the work as he can himself... Thanks for the advice!

Edited by curlgirl
bad writing

When our washer died last year (it was laid to rest after 15 years), we replaced it with a Speed Queen. After I went to the laundromat and saw how much it was to wash clothes, I about fainted. Gained my bearings and made notice of their washers. Google search at home and voila! Speed Queen delivered two days later. FWIW, the machines are made in America and carry a 3 year warranty.

It's a shame things just aren't made the way they once were. We are such a disposable society....

Teresa in NC