Menu

Texans? Your proximity to the fires?

My oldest (living with his Dad) is closest. He's in the Woodlands/Conroe/Magnolia area. I worry because he's asthmatic.

We see and smell the smoke and haze @ the school where I teach (Katy).

I don't personally know anyone with lost property, but I know several who do.

Isn't there a board member/former board member with a homeschool business in that area?

I'm just south of Tomball, and yesterday we could see a giant cloud of smoke to our northwest, which would be Magnolia. Our air smelled clear. Dd16 takes classes at LSC-Tomball (farther up 249), and it was the same there (seeing the smoke in the distance, but no smell). One person in her class yesterday said that his house had already burned down (!), and another said the fire was currently 300 yards from his house. These were people who live in Magnolia.

Today, the giant smoke cloud is not visible, but the air in general is a little hazy, and there is a very faint smoke smell in the air.

There used to be a homeschooling store in Tomball, but it closed a couple of years ago. Don't know if that's the business you're thinking of?

ETA: The smoke I saw was very much to the west, ie, not toward Woodlands/Conroe, I don't think.

Edited by Amy in TX

We are in Round Rock and about 35 miles from the Bastrop Complex fires. We also were 15 miles from Steiner Ranch and close to the Leander fires.

I have asthma and the last two days have been rough for me. Smoke is my trigger so this is not good. Also I am allergic to Ragweed and that is starting to spike right now.

My dad used to live in Bastrop and the land he owned is gone. I know several families that have loss everything. My husbands uncle and aunt loss their home that they built from the ground up.

There are also 8 homeschool families that I know of that have loss everything. The homeschool community here is starting to work on getting school supplies, books and curriculum together for them. This is something the community as a whole will not think of helping with.

As of today 1386 homes are gone in Bastrop County. It is heartbreaking.

My mother has a childhood friend that lost her daughter and granddaughter on Sunday to the fires near Amarillo. Her 20 year old daughter and 18 month old granddaughter did not escape their home when a fire went through their mobile home park pretty quickly. My mothers friend is handling it better than I think I would.

Edited by bbsweetpea

We had a small fire down the street from us today, but it was put out quickly.

We are close to the fires west of Fort Worth (Wise County area) from a couple weeks ago.

My mom lives near Bastrop, but not in the path of the fire. I have heard it is horrible down there.

My uncle lost part of their house (conflicting information, was told the whole house and not part of it...) in Hutto.

I'm about an hour from a couple, but they don't seem too bad. The closest, from what I can tell, has only been 4 days and a few hundred acres. It's partially contained. All the fires that have broken out in my county have gotten contained though we were on the national map several days ago.

My sil's aunt lost her home and most of her family has had to evacuate (Magnolia fires). Stinks.

My mom said she could smell smoke this morning, thought maybe the wind shifted for a time this morning? She's on the other side of the metropolitan area.

Some rain sure would be nice. We got two very short showers awhile back, but....we need some real rain...

Isn't there a board member/former board member with a homeschool business in that area?

I don't know if he was/is a board member, but the man who writes the D.I.V.E math and science curriculum (Dr. David Shormann) has an address in Magnolia.

My inlaws live just north of Tomball. We had 20+ acre grass fire yesterday coming very close to my neighborhood (but still pretty far from my house) in the Humble/Atascocita area. Thankfully it was contained after about 7-8 hours and no structures burned and no evacuations were ordered (although they were close).

Edited by mandymom

We are 3 miles from a big fire in Waller county. We have been evacuated once, and may leave again tonight.

I wanted to share this story about some of our dear goat farming friends who took in over 100 refugee goats, and a family of 14 while their own farm was right in the path of the fire.

http://houston.eater.com/archives/2011/09/08/blue-heron-farms-fundraising-efforts-chris-shepherd-calls-houston-food-community-to-act.php

We are 3 miles from a big fire in Waller county. We have been evacuated once, and may leave again tonight.

I wanted to share this story about some of our dear goat farming friends who took in over 100 refugee goats, and a family of 14 while their own farm was right in the path of the fire.

http://houston.eater.com/archives/2011/09/08/blue-heron-farms-fundraising-efforts-chris-shepherd-calls-houston-food-community-to-act.php

I was thinking of you today and wondering how you were doing. Thank you for the update!

We are in the Katy area. Alot of smoke from the fires up north, but nothing to bad.

I am up in the Dallas/Fort Worth area so not close to the fires. I have been praying daily for those involved. I cannot imagine the amount of damage they are reporting - almost 1,400 homes lost in the Bastrop Complex alone, and 250+ more across the state since Sunday.:crying:

We made sure to be ready to evacuate in case we needed to on Monday. There was a major fire just a few miles north of us that spread very quickly from 20 acres to 100 acres. There were major winds coming from the north, so it was spreading in our direction. Fortunately, the winds died down and the firefighters were able to keep it contained. They didn't have it out until the next day.

Fires popped up all over the place during the past week. There were warnings about driving over grass, grilling, and even about mowing (apparently one fire started with a spark from a mower).

I mostly lurk here but we were part of the Magnolia Fire. We were evacuated twice- 3 days the first time, came home, saw the damage, and then 2 days the second time.

Thankfully our home was spared as was all in our subdivision but one. Our fences are burned and yards, 2 neighbors sheds. Our big pines burned at the bases. Our park play structure literally melted.

It was surreal. Tomorrow our house is getting carpets cleaned and a/c ducts cleaned.

We're just so thankful for the firefighters, many volunteers, who saved our homes. We can see where their truck pulled up onto our front yard and see their sooty footprints all over our drive.

I mostly lurk here but we were part of the Magnolia Fire. We were evacuated twice- 3 days the first time, came home, saw the damage, and then 2 days the second time.

Thankfully our home was spared as was all in our subdivision but one. Our fences are burned and yards, 2 neighbors sheds. Our big pines burned at the bases. Our park play structure literally melted.

It was surreal. Tomorrow our house is getting carpets cleaned and a/c ducts cleaned.

We're just so thankful for the firefighters, many volunteers, who saved our homes. We can see where their truck pulled up onto our front yard and see their sooty footprints all over our drive.

I am so glad to hear you are okay!!!! :grouphug:

I can't begin to imagine. I'm glad you are okay!!!