Menu

Nope, uh uh, not even gonna look at it.

I am just throwing it in the trash, this "American Girl" catalog that arrived at my house unrequested today for no apparent reason.

My daughter, almost 11, has NEVER been "into" dolls.

I on the other hand loved dolls for as long as I can remember, from the time I was a little girl up until I was around 12 years old.

And if I start looking through this catalog, I'm going to want to order dolls that I think are positively adorable, and, really, what would be the point? My daughter would never appreciate them, and they aren't cheap lol.

(I know, because from the time SHE was little and it was time to birthday or holiday shop, I would inevitably find myself drawn to the doll aisle, but whatever doll I spent money on would just be cast aside and forgotten. So I had to train myself to stop buying dolls for my daughter)! Pout. :)

DD7 and DD4 have already gotten hold of that catalog that arrived this weekend and have circled half the book in hopes of getting something for Christmas. It's expensive!! DD7 has two dolls that she got for her birthday this year but now she wants another doll and accessories. And DD4 wants her first doll. Cha-Ching!

:grouphug: I really want a daughter to do all the girly things that my guardians didn't do with me, but I'm figuring that with 2 older brothers she'd most likely be a tom-boy and uninterested it dolls and tea parties. :sad:

Sniff, sniff. Where do you live? I'll have a tea party with you. And we can bring dolls. :lol: (Okay, I just creeped myself out a little and reminded me of Gabby in that episode of Desperate Housewives where she became obsessed with the doll...) haha.

DD7 and DD4 have already gotten hold of that catalog that arrived this weekend and have circled half the book in hopes of getting something for Christmas. It's expensive!! DD7 has two dolls that she got for her birthday this year but now she wants another doll and accessories. And DD4 wants her first doll. Cha-Ching!

My favorite game at that age was to pick a dollar amount (like $500, or $1000, you know, a number that could NEVER happen :D) and write out everything I wanted and how much it added up to.

My favorite game at that age was to pick a dollar amount (like $500, or $1000, you know, a number that could NEVER happen :D) and write out everything I wanted and how much it added up to.

Mine was sitting with the huge "Service Merchandise" catalog (I think that's what it was) and my brothers and I would take turns picking what we "wanted" on each page, and whoever went first would pick the best thing, then the next person would go, then the next. Then we'd flip the page and continue, through the whole catalog in that way, pretend shopping.

Sniff, sniff. Where do you live? I'll have a tea party with you. And we can bring dolls. :lol: (Okay, I just creeped myself out a little and reminded me of Gabby in that episode of Desperate Housewives where she became obsessed with the doll...) haha.

:lol: I have a friend who has offered to lend me her daughters for tea parties, but they're still a little to young yet. I have a BEAUTIFUL china tea set if you want to have a tea party :D I have some delicious recipes for finger sandwiches!

:grouphug: I really want a daughter to do all the girly things that my guardians didn't do with me, but I'm figuring that with 2 older brothers she'd most likely be a tom-boy and uninterested it dolls and tea parties. :sad:

My princess has 2 older brothers and I had resigned myself to her being a tom boy. Granted, the child loves tools as much as her brothers but she hates to be outside and get dirty and she loves to play dress up with the 7 year old girl across the street. She loves on her dolly already. She is only 15 months old so who knows what she'll be like next month or next year but right now, she is pretty girly!

My princess has 2 older brothers and I had resigned myself to her being a tom boy. Granted, the child loves tools as much as her brothers but she hates to be outside and get dirty and she loves to play dress up with the 7 year old girl across the street. She loves on her dolly already. She is only 15 months old so who knows what she'll be like next month or next year but right now, she is pretty girly!

Thank you for the hope :001_smile:

I have a little princess with three older brothers. She's a tough little cookie. Takes karate. Digs in the mud. Kicks the soccer ball around with the best of them. Loves playing baseball with her brothers.

BUT, she LOVES her dolls. She LOVES dressing up and having tea parties. She LOVES having her nails done. And, She LOVES her mirror. So, it's possible to have it both ways!!!!

And, I cannot WAIT to get her her first American Girl doll! Christmas cannot come soon enough!!!! She wants Kanani. (She's had Bitty Baby since she was a baby (it was as big as she was!). She loves that doll SOOOO much!)

I have a little princess with three older brothers. She's a tough little cookie. Takes karate. Digs in the mud. Kicks the soccer ball around with the best of them. Loves playing baseball with her brothers.

BUT, she LOVES her dolls. She LOVES dressing up and having tea parties. She LOVES having her nails done. And, She LOVES her mirror. So, it's possible to have it both ways!!!!

And, I cannot WAIT to get her her first American Girl doll! Christmas cannot come soon enough!!!! She wants Kanani. (She's had Bitty Baby since she was a baby (it was as big as she was!). She loves that doll SOOOO much!)

My daughter takes martial arts and likes collecting rocks and playing with the boys and so on, yet is still girly in some ways, too...she likes to dress pretty, she likes to play with her hair and paint her nails and so on. But she just never got into dolls for some reason.

My daughter takes martial arts and likes collecting rocks and playing with the boys and so on, yet is still girly in some ways, too...she likes to dress pretty, she likes to play with her hair and paint her nails and so on. But she just never got into dolls for some reason.

I say buy your own anyway!!! I would've loved them as a little girl and I'm just as excited about buying my dd her own dolls. (Mostly because I'll play with them . . . shhhhhhh!!)

It is the spawn of the devil those catalogs.

You must burn it for your home to be safe, the bless your mailbox with some holy water.

Trust me on this one. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I just got ours in the mail today and it's staying hidden until I am emotionally ready to deal with hearing about everything she wants from it for her birthday...in two weeks - LOL.

I still have my two dolls. One doll has all of her accessories. One is just the doll. My sister also has one doll with all accessories and one with just the doll. She never plans to have kids. That works out well for me :) DD will have 4 dolls and pieces slowly given to her over a few years (later when she is at least 6). If we have another girl, they will share :) Saves me a lot of money!!

I also saved money on My little Ponies. My sister and I had quite a collection when we were little and now DD has them all!

I used to love AG catalogues when I was younger. Back when it was Molly, Samantha, and Kirsten. *sigh* Rebecca has Rebecca, of course, and Sylvia has a girl Bitty Kid that is the spawn of the devil. The girls are going to go nuts when they see the new catalogue - they already want Cecile and Marie-Grace. :001_huh:

I always loved Kirsten. When my dds picked their dolls they wanted Felicity and Elizabeth. "Are you sure you don't want Kirsten? We have Swedish ancestors. We have pioneer ancestors." Nope. Felicity and Elizabeth. I guess it's good that they're friends from the same time period and all. But no Kirsten??

Well, when AG decided to retire Kirsten, I couldn't live without her. She's in my disabled dd's room in pristine condition as this dd can't play with dolls. And the other two aren't allowed to mess with Kirsten. I like to think of her as mine.

We're on vacation at my moms and my dd snatched her copy of the catalog as soon as it arrived. I'm sure there are plenty of circles in there. We also took a trip to the Chicago AG store and she was in heaven. It took her an hour and 15 minutes to pick out an outfit and a pair of shoes for her dolls back home. She'd hoped to have her dolls ears pierced while there, but then forgot to grab her doll when we left our house, so I guess we'll be sending her in for the procedure. She has 2 dolls already (both just like you dolls) She has no interest in the historical dolls though.

I was never a doll girl, in fact they terrified me. My mother would buy me a Madame Alexander doll every couple of years, ewww. Too real looking and totally creepy.

I never really wanted my dd to be into dolls but it's just who she is. My mother bought her an American Girl doll a couple of years ago and she loves her dearly. She makes clothes for her with my mom. This summer my dh and I went to NYC on a trip and just had to stop in the American Girl doll store to get a matching shirt for dd and her doll. It was a weird store. Even though I don't particularly like dolls I found myself eager to buy everything for my daughter. I think there must be some sort of subliminal messaging going on with their stores and catalogs and possibly even the website. Avoid at all costs. It's like a drug.

Seriously though she is now wanting the historical dolls and YES I want to buy them. Maybe for Christmas...:glare:

It is the spawn of the devil those catalogs.

You must burn it for your home to be safe, the bless your mailbox with some holy water.

Trust me on this one. :lol:

:lol: Oh, no, what have I done?? I let DD send in one of the cards in the back of the books, and our catalogue came yesterday. Of course, she hasn't read it yet. It's proving to be an amazing tool for bribing her to finish her math, which she's woefully behind in.

Kiddos got a set of Bitty Twins last Christmas. (Seriously, they were the only company marketing a boy doll that didn't totally creep me out, and DS had been begging for a "boy baby" for years.) And now every time the catalog comes, we spend the next week with them begging for everything they see. DS wants all of the B. Twin accessories, and DD wants "aawwlll of them babies!" lol I'll probably make them more clothes for their Twins for stocking stuffers this Christmas.