Menu

Question about babysitting rates

My 13 year old is just starting to babysit for pay. She's watched my niece and nephew, friends' kids, etc so far. We're really unsure how her rates should be. I was thinking $7 for one child, $10 for two (we're in New Jersey, btw). What about a daily rate? A friend of dh's needs a sitter for the drill weekend this month. The kids are 3 and 1. It would be 7-5 on each day. What would you charge if you were dd??

My 13 year old is just starting to babysit for pay. She's watched my niece and nephew, friends' kids, etc so far. We're really unsure how her rates should be. I was thinking $7 for one child, $10 for two (we're in New Jersey, btw). What about a daily rate? A friend of dh's needs a sitter for the drill weekend this month. The kids are 3 and 1. It would be 7-5 on each day. What would you charge if you were dd??

I think the rates you mentioned are comparable to what other teens are charging.

I also think the going rate is completely insane, and a teenager who is not old enough to have a job shouldn't be charging more than minimum wage at the most. $5/hr. for 2 kids would be more reasonable. But I know I'm in the minority on that, which is why I never hire babysitters. :)

I remember paying that 10 years ago.

She should charge the same rate even if it's all day. However, they may want to deduct it on their income tax as child care, in which case she would have to report it as income (and pay taxes,) so she could charge a little more. She might want to think about if she even wants to open that can of worms.

At $5 for two kids, I doubt the baby sitter would return.

I think the rates you mentioned are comparable to what other teens are charging.

I also think the going rate is completely insane, and a teenager who is not old enough to have a job shouldn't be charging more than minimum wage at the most. $5/hr. for 2 kids would be more reasonable. But I know I'm in the minority on that, which is why I never hire babysitters. :)

That would make sense except that it's not about the age but rather the level of responsibility. Taking care of children by yourself isn't comparable to flipping burgers in terms of responsibility, kwim? I paid $12 an hour for our sitter for my 9 and 12 year olds last year when I was working. That was painful! Ugh!

Rates must vary by locale. Respite care providers here in Oregon get $10 an hour. They are adults who drive and can handle seizures, feeding tubes, transferring non-mobile teenagers, and behavioral challenges (autism spectrum). Our respite care provider will also watch our other two children for that price. So I can't imagine paying a 13 year old $10/hour. I guess you charge what the market will support and you would be better off asking friends and neighbors where you live.

What I always find interesting in discussing teens babysitting is that most parents would have a complete stroke if their during the week daycare provider charged what they think is appropriate for a teen on evenings and wknds.

$10 an hr is more than min wage here. Just can't fathom it.

These things vary greatly from place to place. Our dd14 babysits - she earns $10/hour here, but if she was babysitting back in our old community, she'd be earning $5/hour max. (Low income neighbourhood, parents can not afford to pay minimum wage or more when THEY are only earning that.)

:iagree: My 14-year-old also earns $10/hour. She's never watched more than one though. I absolutely think that rate is fair for everyone.

What I always find interesting in discussing teens babysitting is that most parents would have a complete stroke if their during the week daycare provider charged what they think is appropriate for a teen on evenings and wknds.

:iagree: It's a teenager, not a trained professional. $5 an hour for the first child, $1 per each additional child.

When I was a teen, I got anywhere from $2.50 to $5 an hour, when min wage was$3.35 hour. To the previous poster who said a sitter wouldn't return for less money.... I prefered to sit for the people who paid me less than the going rate. I was appreciated more by them, and their kids were better behaved than those that could afford to pay above min. wage.

:iagree:

I was paid around $5/hr back in the early 90s but was usually paid $50 for the day. I paid our babysitter (when we had one :glare:) $8/hr for two kids (not in diapers). If she was here for the day I paid her $75.

:svengo:That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more $ than I made running a licenced day home! Seriously, I think I worked it out and figured that I barely cleared 1/3 of that...heck, not even 'cleared', since I supplied snacks, lunch, crafts, outings, etc.

Honestly, I'm trying to think of which jobs (if any!) I've worked as an adult that I made $75/a day net! I can think of one...

No way on the planet would a working parent have paid me that a day. And I was certified out the wazoo, house was inspected, I was checked from stem to stern, Wolf had to have a crim check and child welfare check...

Wowzers.

I pay $5-8 an hour. The $8 is for an older teen who cooks and cleans as well. If they just play and watch movies and leave the house a mess, I pay less. As a college graduate, I worked in a daycare with either 4 infants or 12 two year olds in my care; I made minimum wage. I have two kids, petty trained and pretty self sufficient. I won't pay a 13 year old more than $5 an hour.

It definitely varies. I pay a 17 yo who drives, washes dishes, and is AMAZING with my kids $10/hr. I have a friend's daughter that is 14 just starting to bbsit. She is relatively new to bbsitting, though she is responsible, and has a baby sister my youngest's age. Since she does not drive herself and is new to bbsitting for hire (thus I am not 100% at ease while I am gone like I am with my other sitter) I usually pay her $7/hour. For all day, I would negotiate a price that was agreeable to all parties involved. Maybe find out the going rate per day in your area for an at home daycare. I would think at 13 she should not be charging more than that. I know my friends 14 yo dd looks at it like she is getting experience right now, so getting paid $7/hr is good since she is just starting out. I know it very much would think for all day, it would depend on what the parents could afford. For all day kinds of things, I would think $5-6 would be appropriate.

The kids are 3 and 1. It would be 7-5 on each day. What would you charge if you were dd??

Please take this as just my opinion, but I think babysitting a baby/toddler and a preschooler from 7-5 is a little grueling for a thirteen year-old, even the most mature of kids. As babies that age are inclined to get into anything, put stuff in their mouths, etc., I personally can't imagine asking a thirteen year old to take on that challenge. :001_huh: Mother's helper..... absolutely! Primary caretaker for a long day, including three meals, no way. (I am describing babysitting for another family, not necessarily for siblings of those ages for limited periods of time, or in an emergency.)

I don't mean to judge you in any way~ I know I am extra careful regarding these types of things. Regarding pay, providing thorough, fun, safe, child care is hard work! The workman is worthy of his/her wages! I have also found that when we paid well, girls were much more "available". ;) Helping out other women and single moms who are having difficulty making ends meet is another matter, at which point child care could be provided as a gift, for a nominal fee, or as "leg up".

Regards,

Cindy :auto:

Edited by Cindy in the NH Woods

Please take this as just my opinion, but I think babysitting a baby/toddler and a preschooler from 7-5 is a little grueling for a thirteen year-old, even the most mature of kids. As babies that age are inclined to get into anything, put stuff in their mouths, etc., I personally can't imagine asking a thirteen year old to take on that challenge. :001_huh: Mother's helper..... absolutely! Primary caretaker for a long day, including three meals, no way. (I am describing babysitting for another family, not necessarily for siblings of those ages for limited periods of time, or in an emergency.)

I don't mean to judge you in any way~ I know I am extra careful regarding these types of things. Regarding pay, providing thorough, fun, safe, child care is hard work! The workman is worthy of his/her wages! I have also found that when we paid well, girls were much more "available". ;) Helping out other women and single moms who are having difficulty making ends meet is another matter, at which point child care could be provided as a gift or nominal fee, or as "leg up".

Regards,

Cindy :auto:

Nope, not taking this badly at all. :) It does depend on the 13 yr old though. She's taken care of kids this age a few times and always does extremely well. We're also always home when she sits and available just in case of an emergency. The family is in our neighborhood.

It definitely varies. I pay a 17 yo who drives, washes dishes, and is AMAZING with my kids $10/hr. I have a friend's daughter that is 14 just starting to bbsit. She is relatively new to bbsitting, though she is responsible, and has a baby sister my youngest's age. Since she does not drive herself and is new to bbsitting for hire (thus I am not 100% at ease while I am gone like I am with my other sitter) I usually pay her $7/hour. For all day, I would negotiate a price that was agreeable to all parties involved. Maybe find out the going rate per day in your area for an at home daycare. I would think at 13 she should not be charging more than that. I know my friends 14 yo dd looks at it like she is getting experience right now, so getting paid $7/hr is good since she is just starting out. I know it very much would think for all day, it would depend on what the parents could afford. For all day kinds of things, I would think $5-6 would be appropriate.

Good points. She has thought about it and I think she's going to go with telling them $80 for the weekend. If she feels like that is fair than that's good enough for me. :D (<--she chose this smilie...I wanted a normal one but whatev...lol!)

Nope, not taking this badly at all. :) It does depend on the 13 yr old though. She's taken care of kids this age a few times and always does extremely well. We're also always home when she sits and available just in case of an emergency. The family is in our neighborhood.

Oh, good! I know what you mean as I have a very mature and responsible 13 year old dd. I just think certain intuitive, wise decision making processes need to mature a bit with time. (Also, I remember well babysitting as an adult, and finding a quarter in my two year old charge's mouth. :eek: And my baby neice having a seizure while we were eating bagels at the table. Yikes! And all of the diligence stuff like putting up cords to shades, keeping screen doors locked to help prevent escapes, and keeping the door to the basement steps shut... Not that you need reminding about these things! )

As an aside my oldest dd, 19 years old (a LPN, going for her RN, and newly married) told me yesterday that she tells herself to pause and think before spewing out words and emotions, especially to her new hubby because, "You know, Mom, that 'ol prefrontal cerebral cortex is still developing there." :)

Yes, having you neaby while your daughter is sitting is a great thing. Even having her bring a friend along to help might be a great idea. I am just the super cautious type. Take care!

Does your daughter have friends who babysit and can give her a sense of the going rate? In general, unless she is doing this job as a favor (in which case all bets are off) I would encourage her to set her initial rates at the higher end of reasonable, then the parent is free to try and negotiate downward if he (?) thinks that he can find someone else for less. But the fact that your daughter is local, a known quantity, and that there will be grown-ups available in an emergency might well make it worth it to the parent to pay whatever she asks for. Or not. But either way, there's no reason for her to propose an initial rate that is particularly low.

Oh, good! I know what you mean as I have a very mature and responsible 13 year old dd. I just think certain intuitive, wise decision making processes need to mature a bit with time. (Also, I remember well babysitting as an adult, and finding a quarter in my two year old charge's mouth. :eek: And my baby neice having a seizure while we were eating bagels at the table. Yikes! And all of the diligence stuff like putting up cords to shades, keeping screen doors locked to help prevent escapes, and keeping the door to the basement steps shut... Not that you need reminding about these things! )

As an aside my oldest dd, 19 years old (a LPN, going for her RN, and newly married) told me yesterday that she tells herself to pause and think before spewing out words and emotions, especially to her new hubby because, "You know, Mom, that 'ol prefrontal cerebral cortex is still developing there." :)

Yes, having you neaby while your daughter is sitting is a great thing. Even having her bring a friend along to help might be a great idea. I am just the super cautious type. Take care!

Very good points. That's why I like to be nearby and I drive her nuts texting and checking up on her. Haha! She's always fine but you are right that some things just come with maturity. :)

What is even more interesting is that in our area, a day care provider would get $25/day for watching a child for 8-10 child BUT the foster parents get $14/day for the same child. If the foster parent didn't work but stayed home with the child 24 hours a day they got $14/day but if they worked, they got $14/day and the day care provider got $25/day.

That is why we went into foster care.......for the money:glare:

My respite provider gets $10-15/hour but she watches my special needs kids, handles meds, any behavioral issues, transportation, showering, etc.

People here do nannies and nanny shares during the day for little ones. Anything after that is "preschool" so I find it hard to compare to babysitting rates - I didn't know anyone who managed to even find a small daycare. We never found anyone for less than $15 an hour when our boys were little and most people charged significantly more.

These things are relative. I'd be thrilled to find a responsible 13 yo to babysit my kids for that little. THRILLED.