Menu

acronym instead of "school"

Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone has any cute acronyms that they use instead of saying school or work. I thought of FLA which means Fun Learning Activities, but that sounds too much like "flaw". LIFE for Learning is For Everyone or Learning is Fun, Everyone!, but saying, "Hey kids, let's do LIFE!" just sounds weird.

Any cute ideas out there? My son is a bit adverse to "school". He likes everything to be fun and games, or projects [crafts, science experiments, etc; hands-on]. I try to make "school" as hands-on as I can, but sometimes there's just things I need to present in a certain way, so.....

TIA

Probably not what you want to hear, but I'd call it school. It's not all fun and games, and it certainly won't be as he gets older.

:iagree:

I liked learning, but was not a big fan of school, way back in the day.

My son has never been a huge fan of "school". We didn't change the term, I just told him it was okay to not like school that I hadn't been a big fan of school, but we were going to do it anyway.

Then I showed him that learning can be fun, and it's not all games.

We went with School. And we did it in such a way that there is nothing dreaded about the word even though both of my boys are now attending the local public school part or full time.

I think your children will be influenced more by how you approach a lifestyle of learning than what you call it.

Guest submarines

I really dislike 'school' as applied to 'learning.' I don't have any basis really, just a gut reaction. We call it learning time, if anything. I actually love "Let's do Life", but it would take a certain type of child to like it. Mine wouldn't go for it :lol:

No acronym to help. We also refer to our lessons as "work". "Time to get back to work" or "check your schedule to see what's next". When referring to something more fun, that doesn't feel like work, I might say "After lunch, we'll be starting a history project.

I don't say it's time for school, b/c in our minds school is just a brick building that we no longer go to...:D

I don't think school has any intrinsicly negative connotations--it is what you make it. If they've heard from you that school is unpleasant, then you have given them that association. So why not make it a positive thing?

The only acronym I've heard of was for the family time that teens are "required" to spend with their families--a neighbor/friend of mine has kids that call it "FFF"--"Forced Family Fun." :D

My daughter called school "activities" when we first started. It's just what she naturally called her lessons. I didn't other to correct her :-)

I couldn't think of anything we've called it besides "school", but this post reminded me. When ds was little, just starting school work, we called them "lessons". "Let's do your reading lesson" or "let's do your math lesson".

Maybe "lessons" or "classes" or "subjects" or "work time" would be more appealing than "school"?

I couldn't think of anything we've called it besides "school", but this post reminded me. When ds was little, just starting school work, we called them "lessons". "Let's do your reading lesson" or "let's do your math lesson".

Maybe "lessons" or "classes" or "subjects" or "work time" would be more appealing than "school"?

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I know some think I shouldn't shy away from "school", and I don't intend to completely eliminate it. But the fact is, he attended PS for a year, and didn't like it. Not because of the work necessarily, but the curtailing of his free time and he didn't like the homework [which I didn't like either; busy-work and a fight every evening :( ]. So I just want to reframe it for him until he refinds the joy.

I know some think I shouldn't shy away from "school", and I don't intend to completely eliminate it. But the fact is, he attended PS for a year, and didn't like it. Not because of the work necessarily, but the curtailing of his free time and he didn't like the homework [which I didn't like either; busy-work and a fight every evening ]. So I just want to reframe it for him until he refinds the joy.

This is exactly why we don't say "school."

We simply say, "It's time for lessons." Kind of old fashioned and that's why I like it.

We say, "lessons" too.

We use "book work", "experiments", "reading time" "lapbooking" and what ever else we are doing. Sometimes I say "school work" to lump it all together.

I like this too.

I didn't like the term "school" either when my kids were little, so I used "learning". I guess I felt "learning" described what we were actually trying to accomplish, as opposed to school, which, for me, represented a contrived series of hoops to jump through which may or may not involve any real learning.

As the kids have gotten older, they have started using the term "work", so that is what is mostly used these days. Somehow it never occurred to them to call what we do "school".

I really dislike 'school' as applied to 'learning.' I don't have any basis really, just a gut reaction. We call it learning time, if anything. I actually love "Let's do Life", but it would take a certain type of child to like it. Mine wouldn't go for it :lol:

We try to reinforce the idea of "Let's do Life," we just don't call it that. I use the term "school" but I also dislike it because it does seem to be a separate thing when what we are doing really *is* life! My two girls will whine sometimes when I say it's time for school but then I tease them. "Yes, it is SO HARD to listen to stories! I just HATE reading Beatrix Potter! I'm not interested AT ALL in what Betsy is up to next!" (We are reading Understood Betsy right now with my older dd.) Then they laugh. Sometimes I will say, "Hey, it's time to read a story." That usually gets a better reaction. :) I hope reading is always a part of their life! (I think "It's time for math" will always get a negative reaction though! ;))