Menu

How do you spell?

How do you spell home school?  

1. 1. How do you spell home school?

• homeschool
    • home-school
    • home school
    • other

Y'all are funny. Why not just teach the spell check homeschool so it doesn't ping you anymore? Then it is correct the way you like it :) Yes, my browser and word processing programs know that homeschool *is* a word on this computer.

:iagree:

I've been writing "homeschool" since 1982. :D

I think the usual evolution of words like homeschool is that they begin as two words, progress to hyphenated words, and end up as one word. Since homeschooling (or at least the name "homeschooling") is relatively new, we see it written all three ways. I've been homeschooling over 20 years, so I write it "homeschool.":)

I think the usual evolution of words like homeschool is that they begin as two words, progress to hyphenated words, and end up as one word. Since homeschooling (or at least the name "homeschooling") is relatively new, we see it written all three ways. I've been homeschooling over 20 years, so I write it "homeschool.":)

Same thing happened with email and website. http://mashable.com/2011/03/18/ap-stylebook-email/ I would get red-lined for email and website all the time and it really annoyed me! I'm glad email and website have finally gotten their due and homeschool nearly has as well.

Breastfeeding is one word because it's more than just feeding at the breast.

Homeschooling is one word because it's more than just schooling at home.

Here in PA, though, when taking legal matters, no one is homeschooling, as there is no such legal category. We are home educating, having our dc privately tutored, enrolled in public cyber-charter school, etc. I try to be careful about using these specific terms when discussing the law as it minimizes confusion.

I use "homeschool" if it is a verb: As in, "We homeschool our children."

I use home school if it is a noun: As in, "In our home school we study reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic."

I was thinking this after I posted the poll. It makes great sense to me.:001_smile:

Oh good I'm not the only one that spells it homeschool. I was starting to think I was crazy. Spelling Power does home school, our local paper used home-school last week, dh said he thought it was home school, I found in one of my Websters dictionaries homeschool, but it wasn't nor was there any variation in any of my other ones, even in my bigger Websters :confused:so I needed some opinions:001_smile: Thanks all.