Menu

Vacuum for hard wood floors?

I need a new vacuum that does a good job on hardwood. Mine shoots everything out the back rather than picking it up. And it clogs easily from all the cat hair around here. :glare:

I also use a broom but I have throw rugs that need vac'd so it's easier to just move on to the hardwood using the vac.

What type of vac do you use for your hardwood?

Up until three weeks ago, I would have *RAVED* about our Shark 2-in-1 cordless. With its bare-floor and carpet settings, I buzz-buzz-buzzed right through the house effectively. More, the bristles were so soft that even if I neglected to switch, there was no harm to the floor.

And then the battery began to fail.

We picked up a Bissell Poweredge Pet Hard Floor Vacuum... but it's not the same.

In the end, it's easier (although more time-consuming) to use the large-head microfiber mop on the wood floors and our regular vacuum on the rugs.

I will follow this thread with interest. Maybe someone else has discovered the perfect vacuum.

I absolutely love our Shark Navigator. Actually, any Shark product we have ever had has worked lightyears beyond any of the junk we've tried from Walmart, etc.

It works fabulously on hardwoods as well as carpets/rugs. We have mostly hardwood, but a couple area rugs which never really got clean until we bought the Shark.

We had a similar problem with our old vacuum, with bits of dirt spitting out of the machine and not picking everything up off the floor. The shark suction is amazing and we never have any such issues with it.

I have a kenmore canister vacuum that works great on carpet or hard floors (when I turn off the brush). It works even better on hard floors when i switch to the wide, brushless head. It also makes it easier to get around and behind furniture. My dog has very fine hair and it does not escape my vacuum and I never get debris thrown at me while I'm vacuuming the hard floors.

Apparently there is a design difference that makes canisters more effective on hardwood? Something about having suction all the way across the path of the vacuum? As far as I know, the Riccar is the only upright designed this way, but it's been a few years since I've looked into it.

We have a mix of linoleum, Pergo laminate, and old (as in, the wide stuff) hardwood flooring, and our Dyson does a great job on all of it. (I have been told that you need not to use the brush on the hardwood, as it might ding it up, but so far, we haven't noticed that. Then again, the hardwood has not been refinished any time in the past several years and is in need of it, so maybe that would make a difference.)

Our ShopVac also does a great job.

Miele Canister. Expensive but worth every penny.

:iagree: But, go to a store and talk with the salesperson. When we went in, they asked about lots of things: how many people, how many with long hair, pets, how many area rugs, etc. Then, they steered us toward the one that worked best for our situation. Luckily, ours is one of the cheaper Mieles because we have no pets and no long hair and very few area rugs.

We've had ours for at least 10 years and it needed one $50 repair.

when vacuuming hardwood you want to use a bare floor tool. NO beater bar should be going. ( 1), it will scratch the floor, and 2) shoot things out the back) Cannister's give you an option of the beater bar going or not, as well as coming with a bare floor tool. (I have a kenmore I really like.)

My roomba did a great job on my kitchen floor before mopping it - that was a pre-finished so it has microbevel cracks. (last prefinished I will EVER have. yuck. give me finish on site anyday.) It also hated the rugs in my living and dining rooms, it just didn't have the muscle to climb them as much as was required.

for between vacuumings, a GOOD quality dust mop (not a broom), preferably a micro anti-static that will pick up everything. (and does a better job getting under furniture.) then take it outside and shake it out. wash it as needed.

Edited by gardenmom5

Miele Canister. Expensive but worth every penny.

:iagree: But, go to a store and talk with the salesperson. When we went in, they asked about lots of things: how many people, how many with long hair, pets, how many area rugs, etc. Then, they steered us toward the one that worked best for our situation. Luckily, ours is one of the cheaper Mieles because we have no pets and no long hair and very few area rugs.

We've had ours for at least 10 years and it needed one $50 repair.

Love my Miele. I got a refurbished model from a vacuum store and it has paid for itself. I also love that it was designed so you can take it apart if it clogs or you vacuum something else like a lego.

I have a cannister vac that I use for my hardwood floors. It has an attachment for rugs.

Alternatively, I drag my upright vac downstairs (carpet upstairs) and use the hose/wand attachment when I want to do a really good job vacuuming the area rugs (disconnecting the attachments when I want to vacuum the rugs).

Both my vacuum cleaners are Electrolux.

Unless an upright has a switch to turn off the beater brush, it is not intended to be used on hard floors. You need the attachments.

I keep looking at stick vacs, but the reviews are so mixed. We have a few carpeted areas, but mostly hard surfaces. And we have two golden retrievers. I really wanted to find a stick vac and a steam mop that would do the trick, but haven't been able to find ones that gets consistently good reviews. So, I'm vacuuming/sweeping and just ordered a sh-mop from The Clean Team. I had one of these for years and really liked it, but after much wear/tear the handle broke off and I didn't replace it. After trying less expensive mops, I finally gave in and ordered another.

I used to use my canister vacuum (we actually found it in an alley and it works great) but recently I started following the FlyLady.com program. I bought her weird rubber broom and I tell you it's the bee's knees! I have only been using that now because it's lighter (obviously), but also less bulky (I have a canister, remember) and it really does pick up even more than my vacuum. I have a couple of area rugs and I use it on that. It takes me less time overall to sweep now than to vacuum.