Menu

HOD users, hows it going??

kwickimom

We will complete Unit 1 of Preparing and LHFHG tomorrow and we are LOVING it!

I was so worried about the writing in Preparing and using dictation for spelling, but reading the Guide over and over I have decided to do it as written and all we are adding is Apologia Zoo 1 (we dont have to my dd loves the Science as is, but she REALLY loves Science so we will do it on the 5th day) and artist and nature study. I am going to do the writing in R&S and that along with the copywork and narrations will be plenty. I am glad I am over my freak out about that. I am going to add WWS to CTC next year instead of write with the best and then I will be totally satisfied with writing. :001_smile:

I like the flow of everything, I was worried about it being redundant, but it all builds on each other and is from different viewpoints and it goes together nicely. She loves Grandpas Box and hates that we only read a chapter at a time. DD said yesterday "I am SO happy we aren't doing spelling this year!" :001_smile: She doesnt see dictation as spelling and she hated SWO, so that is awesome. She really likes that we get to poetry everyday as that is her favorite thing.

The research on the coat of arms went well and she loved making her own coat of arms from a website I found. She is delighted with Draw and Write Through History too. We really like everything right now. I particularly like that I can mix up the 3R's with the little projects and notebooking and drawing that is scheduled and so the days seem to fly by. I haven't heard one complaint!

I know it is just the first week and am sure we will hit rough patches, but no program is perfect. I don't expect us to love everything, but dd is really happy and excited about school and proud of her work this year and I am loving that!

My DS5 is doing LHFHG and he loves that too. Its a great mix of activities and seatwork and is exactly what I was looking for in a K program. We hit phonics and Math first, do the math activity if there is one, read what needs read and do the art or drama or whatever is scheduled and finish up with handwriting or fine motor skills. He keeps asking to do more!

I am having NO problem doing 2 guides and I am even doing Letter of the Week with DS3 too. There is plenty of independent work for dd in Preparing that allows me time with the boys.

I am really happy with my choice!

Are you using LHTH too? :) Glad your first week went great!

I decided not to use LHTH because my DS3 wants to do what DS5 is doing. I am just making sure to do Letter of the Week with him. I have him write the letter or number DS5 is working on in sand or pudding or whatever and if he wants to sit in for read alouds and all that he can, if not he doesn't. Its working well. I would have used LHTH if DS was older and could do more independent work. He likes the rhymes and storytime in LHFHG so I will just let him tag along as long as he wants and will still redo LHFHG with him in the future.

this is our first week using bigger. so far, we totally love it! our days are about 4 or 5 hours, but they flow pretty nicely and it's a little longer because i use other curricula for LA & math. i do LA & math with my daughter first. then i do LA & math with my son (and my daughter does dance mat typing and the extension readers). then i bring them together for HOD's left side of the page. it's really been a smooth week, and i imagine it will become even smoother as we continue to find our groove:)

I am using LHTH and LHFHG right now. Both are moving a bit slower than scheduled, but I am ok with that. We are using right side faster of LHFHG.

I am using it for ds6, dd4 ,and dd2. Olders add in for some extension stuff I came up with.

Also using task cards and TOG for olders, so I have a bizarre mix going here! :tongue_smilie:

We are loving it! We are using Beyond, and I can't believe how easy it has been. My 3rd grader does some independent work in addition to her own level of LA and math etc. And dh is planning to start reading through Apologia swimming creatures on the weekends with them. But our days have been simple and fun. The kids love it! and I feel they are learning a lot! Couldn't be happier with our choice this year!!

We're progressing slower than intended but I've given myself permission to do so. This is the end of week 6 and we'll be finishing up week 4 of LHFHG and I'm still in week 2 of LHTH! The past month has been horrid and schoolwise I figured out DS was at the next level for LA and chose to supplement rather than buy the next guide and then I figured out there was too much busy work and we could do what was needed with less so .. basically just been finding our stride with LA and I feel ready to return to full pace again next week and get back to LHTH with DD who has been pouting all week because i keep forgetting to do ANY school with her in the midst of all the horridness of everything right now. Meanwhile, I am SO glad I don't have to plan History and Bible and memory verses or fun stuff (without a doubt there would be nothing fun being added right now if it wasn't laid out for me) and I'm glad that, although we may not always be progressing at full pace we ARE progressing along a well thought and laid out plan that I know is leading where I want to go. That relieves a lot of stress right now.

We are using LHTH and Beyond this year, and it's going really well. I tried to combine my 3 oldest in Beyond 2 years ago when my oldest was in 2nd grade, and it just didn't work to have the youngers tag along like that. When they say it's better to beef HOD up for the olders than to make the youngers tag along, they are right! Because there aren't extensions for Beyond, I'm having my oldest two do MOH 1 and Botany this year so they get enough history and science. But starting next year we can use HOD's extensions and my 3 oldest can stay combined for the long haul if it continues to go well.

My 2yo and 4yo are loving LHTH. It's just right for them.

I think the main reason HOD is going so well for me this time is that I made a commitment to do all the activities and not skip any. It's easy to say, "oh, they already know that, so we don't have to do it". But they get so much enjoyment out of the activities and it helps them to remember what they are learning, so it's worth doing them.

It's going well so far. Three guides here: Preparing, Bigger and Little Hearts and I'm trying not to stress-out that we're moving a bit slower than it's written mainly because I have so many kids waiting on me :)

My 9yods completely melted down during the history notebooking page and the vocabulary assignment in Preparing but I'm hoping as we continue that we'll get past that. He's the reason that I'm running three guides as I felt that he was depending too much on his younger brother for the answers in our previous curr.

Bigger and Little Hearts is going great!

We are using LHTH and Beyond this year, and it's going really well. I tried to combine my 3 oldest in Beyond 2 years ago when my oldest was in 2nd grade, and it just didn't work to have the youngers tag along like that. When they say it's better to beef HOD up for the olders than to make the youngers tag along, they are right! Because there aren't extensions for Beyond, I'm having my oldest two do MOH 1 and Botany this year so they get enough history and science. But starting next year we can use HOD's extensions and my 3 oldest can stay combined for the long haul if it continues to go well.

My 2yo and 4yo are loving LHTH. It's just right for them.

I think the main reason HOD is going so well for me this time is that I made a commitment to do all the activities and not skip any. It's easy to say, "oh, they already know that, so we don't have to do it". But they get so much enjoyment out of the activities and it helps them to remember what they are learning, so it's worth doing them.

:iagree: with you on both points. Sooooooo much easier to add on for olders!

I am bad at skipping stuff, but am REALLY trying not too....and they love it! :)

My only complaint....I wish it were a 4 yr cycle. :001_huh: I know the reasons for NOT doing it that way, but I still wish it was. :tongue_smilie: I keep trying to not focus on next year and just do what we have today.

We began Bigger (w/extensions for 10yo) this week at a slow pace to ease into it. It's going well. The science notebooking was new but they did it, we actually have done an art project (not my strong suit) and the dictation went well. I'm pleased so far. I'm holding off adding in our Latin, Spanish, etc for a few more weeks until we really get in a groove. I'll add LHTH after Labor Day for 3yo. We'll do that slowly since I don't want to hit LHFHG until K.

Another thing I'm really liking is the dictation. We were using R&S Spelling, but last year my dd got 100% correct on almost all of her tests, yet was always asking me how to spell words that she should have known. So, I figured it wouldn't hurt to give dictation a try this year and see how it goes. So far, so good! :001_smile: Dd and ds have both made mistakes here and there, and I think that is teaching them to read the passages more carefully and to think about whether the spelling and punctuation look right when they are writing. Since they have to repeat the passage until it's totally right, they are usually very careful the first time. (We are using the Preparing guide for dictation, BTW).

It's going well so far. Three guides here: Preparing, Bigger and Little Hearts and I'm trying not to stress-out that we're moving a bit slower than it's written mainly because I have so many kids waiting on me :)

My 9yods completely melted down during the history notebooking page and the vocabulary assignment in Preparing but I'm hoping as we continue that we'll get past that. He's the reason that I'm running three guides as I felt that he was depending too much on his younger brother for the answers in our previous curr.

Bigger and Little Hearts is going great!

Glad to hear you're enjoying HOD ... kwickimom, are you planning to sell Preparing when finished or are you holding on to it for your littles? :tongue_smilie:

Not sure yet actually. I want to use it for my boys, but am not sure if I want to hang onto it for 3 more years. I may resell to buy Beyond.

We're starting CTC on Monday. I'm very excited it looks like a fun program.

I'm not going to use it exactly how it is written. I already had ES Physics bought for the year so we'll use that instead of CTC's science. We'll also use GWG instead of R&S. I also didn't get DITHOR. I want to see how the first few weeks go and how much time we have. Dd has an outside writing class, co-op classes one day a week, and we are adding Latin to our schedule I didn't want to overdo.

Not sure yet actually. I want to use it for my boys, but am not sure if I want to hang onto it for 3 more years. I may resell to buy Beyond.

Ok. If you decide to sell I'm definitely interested. I haven't seen Preparing come up for sale very often. Enjoy your year.

It's great to hear that everyone is off to a great start with HOD. We have started very slowly this week between new sports and music schedules. My 13y/o dd loves RTR and is just flying pretty independently with it...exactly what I pictured. My 9 y/o dd has started Preparing and we have made it through day 2 so far. She is finding it challenging but really enjoys the special time alone with Mom and the drawings in History and Science. BTW we have been using a lot of tracing paper to start off with! I love all the questions written in about what we are reading, they have been helping us both think so much more about what we are reading.

Today she even illustrated her poem as an extra, which I consider a blessing with this non artsy kid!

Both girls begged me to start DITHOR this week also so they could start reading their books. I skipped the kick off activities because they both picked realistic fiction books and I wasn't prepared to start with that genre.:001_smile:

I am also getting started with MFW K and MFW AHL.

Loving HOD!!

I am combining my 2 dc in Bigger. We just finished our first week and everything went fantastic!!! We did Beyond last year and loved it as well. This week has gone so much smoother than I thought it would. I am so please with my dc's notebooking pages that they've done this week too. Love HOD!!!:thumbup:

We are on the second unit of RTR and it's going pretty smoothly already! The skills learned in CTC flow pretty seamlessly into it. We love the materials and the beautiful notebook. DS, after doing his Shakespeare last week, said, "You mean we only get to do Shakespeare once a week?! That's horrible!" I asked him if he enjoyed it. "Yes! I LOVE it."

Who'da thought?

Well, it was not my original plan to use HOD this year. We started last year with HOD and did pretty well until my dh came home on leave from Afghanistan. It's hard to do any school after 2 fun weeks with Daddy! So, we switched gears a bit and drove on with other things. (hind sight, maybe I should have given us some time off..... but anyway)....

This year, we started school and I began to feel my newly turned 6yo was being neglected, so I decided to add in Beyond for him. (truthfully he fits better into LHFHG, but I love Beyond - and I thought we could do it half pace). Then a couple days later my 4th grader enviously says that he wants to do "Hearts for His Glory." After a bit of pondering (should I put him in the guide we didn't finish last year? or move up to the next for various reasons, etc., would I combine 3rd grader with him or with the 6yo?) I decided we would give Preparing a try. The only thing is we aren't doing the science or Draw and Write (he's not much on drawing and notebooking.... so I will have to pick and choose some drawing along the way. He'll have science at co-op). I'm combining 3rd grader with K-er in Beyond with appropriate beefing up. Not sure yet how much of our previously planned schoolwork we'll keep..... ugh. Why do I buy ANY curriculum before we start school? It's just going to change anyway!

(By the way, the first day we added in Preparing my 4th grader, 3rd grader, K-er and 3yo all worked together making their shields of faith - those are priceless moments!)

We need to pick things back up. In May/June we went to VA to help my parents for 2 weeks, and it killed us trying to get back into things then. So, we did what we could through the end of June and stopped. We still have some to finish up.

I am doing the last 10 lessons at half-speed in Bigger for my 9yo. She'll start Preparing around Jan. Preparing would be too much writing for her right now.

My oldest will be wrapping up CTC and going into RTR.

My 1st will be in Little Hearts fully. We did part Little Hands and part Little Hearts for K.

We love HOD here! I am soooooooooooo glad they are going through high school now. I was stressing and was gonna switch over to Bob Jones for high school, and wanting to do something for a transition between the 2 curriculum types for 1-2 years. Now we don't have to worry about switching anything, outside of our normal subs for math, etc.

Edited by Tabitha

We started on July 12th but have been taking things a bit slower since it is still summer, and we had a week off for vacation. I'm doing Bigger, Little Hearts, and Little Hands right now. We are on Unit 4 of Bigger, Unit 30 of Little Hearts, and unit 3 of Little Hands. I absolutely love Bigger it is such a great program. When we do everything I have planned including some extras our days are taking longer than last year, but that is how it goes as dc age. My dd1 has a Oct. 31'st b-day so she is finishing Little Hearts and then will start Beyond closer to 6.

We finished Unit 5 of Beyond today. It is GREAT! I am constantly amazed at how easy everything is for me -- almost no prep whatsoever, and another family member can step in easily and follow the lesson plan if I am unavailable. Plus my daughter is learning a lot and having a great attitude about school.

We're finishing week 2 of Preparing and week 3 of Little Hearts. I love that we're getting done by lunch everyday. My kids love that they have time for things besides school. Now that I kind of feel like I have a handle on things I will start adding some other subjects that aren't covered back in. They were all disappointed that we didn't read Grandpa's Box this past week and my youngest absolutely loves Reddy Fox. I remember also enjoying Burgess as a child :) One of the things that I'm noticing with this curriculum is how well one skill builds on the next. It's so gentle that my kids don't realize they're doing more than they were the week before :D

This is our first year using HOD and we just finished our first week, and I have to say this has been the BEST week of homeschooling for us yet! My older two 5th and 4th are doing CTC and 2nd grader is doing Beyond. The 4yo twins are tagging along nicely for some of Beyond and then I'm doing some other pre-k stuff with them.

I'm loving it. They're loving it. I am totally thrilled with our choice, and I can already see how this is going to benefit all of us. AHHHH. I'm so happy. :)

Blessings!

JoyinIndo

5th grade ds, 4th grade dd, 2nd grade ds, and 4-yo ds twins

• 2 weeks later...

We homeschool year round. We are on week 21 of LHFHG and LOVING IT! I have a 7yo dd and 5yo ds in the program, with my 3yo tagging along. They all look forward to it every day. The activities are a HUGE hit around here. They really help the lessons to "stick" in their memories. Out of the blue the other day my 5yo son said, "Mom, I LOVE homeschool!!" Today he said "These activities are SOOOO much fun! I just LOVE them!" The huge smiles on their faces confirm that HOD is a winner in our house! They are learning a ton and having fun doing it! My 7yo just finished the emerging readers which were amazing, and just started level 2 DITHOR. We are thrilled with DITHOR as well. Carrie's book choices are top notch, although you can use anything you choose. Truly HOD is an answer to prayer for us! :)

Anita

So yesterday our science activity was a pan of cornmeal with things in it to represent the beach and food. They used pliers, clothespins and tweezers to represent different bird beaks. I thought this sounded dumb BUT they experimented with it for half an hour. They loved it :001_huh:. I'm going to quit second guessing the activities. My only concern is that my 7 yo 2nd grader is not narrating as well as I would like.

I am typing on my phone so please forgive. We are on our fourth week of Beyond and it is going much better than I could have ever expected. I feel so much more organized and in control. I thought that the page a day approach would not work for me but it is great. I'm no longer overwhelmed. I love that we can quickly and efficiently get our work done using the guide as is. On days we want more we can do more, but on days we don't I still know the kids are making progress. The kiddos are thriving on the routine. Things I thought were too young or too repetitive are working perfectly for the them. I feel that they are being gently challenged and growing each day. One day the kids were so motivated that they finished everything, including math and phonics by 9:30 in the morning. Then we had the whole day for delight directed learning. But even if we had done nothing else it would have been fine. Love it! Of course it's not perfect, but the perfect curriculum is not always doable. So for now we will stick with what gets done with the least resistance.

It's going very well here. Our only snags have been some of the drawing assignments/notebooking activities in Bigger Hearts. My youngest struggles with those sometimes because he isn't confident in his drawing skills. But, I know he will improve as he continues to move forward through the guide. Other than that, he is doing GREAT. The studied dictation is working like a charm for him. It has been smooth-sailing for my oldest son in CTC. It's the perfect balance of independent and mom-involved learning. I am so glad to be back with HOD. I am confident that their skills are being addressed while we also have plenty of literature to enjoy. We are in our third week now. I dropped some of the replacements and we are using it as written except for math and my oldest is using BJU for science.

We're on Unit 2 of Beyond and Unit 2 of Little Hands and we are loving it. The science is the favorite--it's not too much but the kids get excited at the simple things they can do to supplement the lesson. I do have moments where I worry it's too easy/simple because we get through our day so quickly!

Finished our 2nd day using Beyond, Bigger and RtR. Very successful and we are all loving it! :D I'm guardedly optimistic about the rest of the year. I will be adding LHTH for my 3yo after Labor Day as he is anxious to "do school" like the rest of his siblings. I just wish HOD had a high school program for my 10th grader!

I finished week 5 of LHfHG today and have LHTH on hold. I think I'm making progress this week though with actually getting LHfHG done more regularly than it has been so far. Today I started with phonics review/spelling, took a break to read for History and do the Rhymes in Motion (good time to stretch), sat back down for writing/grammar, got up to do the activity box and memory verse, followed that with math and finished up with a page from Thinking Skills and Story time. I'm excited to have a daily plan! As I move forward with this I'm turning my attention toward fitting school with DD back into the day .. oh .. and cleaning, but that can wait, right? I'd prefer to read and color. :lol:

(I posted this yesterday in another thread but I stumbled on this thread and wanted to share how it's going here too. :D )

Today was our first day of school.

I did Little Hands with my 4yo and absolutely loved it!! It was just perfect. Short and sweet but a lot of fun. She went around the rest of the day doing her A a a Adam face. I did add in some storybook reading time. I had been doing AAR a bit this summer and had gotten into the 20min. reading habit after the lesson was over. I'm kind of surprised that isn't part of HOD's guide. Maybe it's suggested in the intro but I maybe didn't read through it, which is a testimony to it's open & go ability. Although I'm quite fortunate to already have a well-stocked craft cabinet because we needed black tempera paint first thing today. Whoops!! Luckily, I had some. I guess I should have at least skimmed the first few units.

My 7yo is doing Bigger. We started this summer but didn't get very far. Lazy summer days are just too enticing. :) So we re-started today and had a very good time with it. We do our own math and we do Rod & Staff English but at our own pace.

First day for my middles doing CtC. They loved it. I loved it. Our storytime book didn't come in from the library so we started on the 2nd one and will just read the 1st book when we're finished with the 2nd one. No big deal. I printed off a weekly grid from Donna Young's site and use that for our assignment list, not the guide. Much of it says see Unit 1 Day 1 but when I wanted to tweak or rearrange or add something else, having my own weekly print-out just makes that so easy and un-stressful. Storytime was our favorite part of the day (even with the last minute book switch) My kids really got into the follow-up activity. They both also reported that the Diana Waring Cd's were very cool. Again, we do our own math and R&S at our own pace. I also do something completely different for poetry. I do not like that box.

My 8th grader started Rev2Rev today. Brand-new, hot off the press!!! I haven't had a chance to debrief him because he had an afternoon activity that forced him to miss our check-in time and didn't get home til after 9. So I don't know how it went for him. I certainly had a blast putting it altogether. I did tweak it and rearrange some things. But if memory serves we're doing everything except the Science exploration box. There is a LOT of stuff in that guide. I am very impressed. We do our own math of course and R&S at our own pace. One of the things I seriously tweaked was the State Study. The text is a consumable worktext and is pricey, imo, for a consumable. And the book is 85% text. It's just a waste to write in it. So I printed off some generic notebooking pages and we're doing the assignments on those instead of in the book. We're using a children's atlas with color pictures that I got off paperbackswap for the art work. I will say that the book is not a HOD product. I've been super impressed with HOD's consumable pages. SUPER impressed!!

I wasn't planning on doing the inventor study in Rev2Rev because we aren't doing the science but it looked so neat once I got the guide that I decided to squeeze it into the schedule. Luckily all the books are available at the library. I am bummed that I didn't order the notebooking pages. Oh well! We will live. There is quite a bit of notebooking in Rev2Rev without it so if we just read and orally narrate I'm good with that.

Anyway, if day 1 is any indication I am loving it!! We'll see how things go long-term. I have high hopes. 7 years ago I did a 6-week stint with Sonlight. I thought I would love it and was so disappointed I swore off box curricula. But even with the few things in HOD that I *don't* like there is still soooo much to love. I feel like I'm getting a great value. I did not feel like that after Sonlight. After I tweaked it to get it how I wanted it there wasn't much to it. :tongue_smilie:

So I'll just add that day 2 went well too. My 4yo loved playing with her people on the masking tape letter. What a neat idea! My 2nd grader begged me to keep reading our biography (I just love it when that happens!) Today was oral narration for the 3 older HOD kids and they had to hang on to their thoughts before I had a chance to hear them but they all did very well. I was kind of nervous about that. I did check-in with my 8th grader and things went great for him. I did allow him to skip the History Project box (making an Indian headdress) for this week but some weeks the projects look more up his alley, especially the cooking ones. We also really enjoyed the Child's Geography from CtC. That was one of the more interesting geography read-aloud books we've done.

Edited by silliness7

One thing is really bothering me about HOD :(

The forum. I feel like I can not ask any questions. :001_huh:

Is it just me? It has such a different vibe there. :confused:

Actually it's a wonderful forum. But you have to stick to the curriculum that is used. Which is fine, that's why you can come here or go to the yahoo site for perhaps using things other than what they offer. But it's strictly help for what HOD offers and they do an excellent job over there with that.

Actually it's a wonderful forum. But you have to stick to the curriculum that is used. Which is fine, that's why you can come here or go to the yahoo site for perhaps using things other than what they offer. But it's strictly help for what HOD offers and they do an excellent job over there with that.

Maybe I should just lurk there.

It just feels....not genuine when it is so moderated. :001_huh:

They seem very nice, but I don't know......feels so unnatural to me.

Forgot about the yahoo groups. That would probably be a better fit for me.

Or here of course! :D

I did allow him to skip the History Project box (making an Indian headdress) for this week but some weeks the projects look more up his alley, especially the cooking ones.

I'll be honest, when I saw in the sample for RevtoRev that it had 6-8th graders making an Indian headdress out of construction paper, I was like, what? :confused: So the history projects get better, and well, more age appropriate?

I wish HOD would show you samples of weeks OTHER than the first. I'd like to see if the work load is increased as you get further into the guide or does it stay the same as week 1?

What is it you don't like about the poetry? Just curious.....

Maybe I should just lurk there.

It just feels....not genuine when it is so moderated. :001_huh:

They seem very nice, but I don't know......feels so unnatural to me.

Forgot about the yahoo groups. That would probably be a better fit for me.

Or here of course! :D

I was gonna send you a PM, but your box is all full. :tongue_smilie: