Menu

What science are you using for your gifted grade schooler?

LucyStoner

Especially if said child is very, very into science. My son is 8 and we just did it on our own last year (lots of experiements and science reading on topics from biology to physics to geology) but this year we would like to track his progress in a more methodical way and use some more formal materials. He reads far above his age/grade level. Science and art are his favorite subjects.

We are secular homeschoolers, and are only interested in materials that accept and cover evolution where relevant.

Thanks!

BFSU is very good for advanced youngsters. My dh is a physics teacher, and when he reviewed Vol. II, he said that there was college level material in there.

It is a secular program but it does not cover evolution, because it is based on experiments that the child can do and see.

I used Science Explorer last year when my son was 8. We used the Science in a Nutshell kits for hands on stuff. The level of SE was about right in the beginning but by the end of the year it was verging on too easy. The Nutshells are just ok.

Next year we will be using CPO Life Science, another middle school program. I'm hoping it will be more challenging than SE.

We use BFSU, honestly though, we need more. DD also attends a monthly science club at a university an hour from us and we may be adding another (run by the same people) at a different university. So that will be fortnightly science club. I've looked at My Pals are Here a few times and think she would enjoy it - it's my preference for the Socratic method that gets in the way of ordering it. I don't know whT HOTS stands for though - help?!

It sounds like BFSU vol II may be useful for your son, it would help direct everything a little more formally but if he really loves science you may need more.

My oldest used Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry in 2nd and those were huge hits. Last year, she did the physics topics out of Prentice-Hall Science Explorer and Singapore MPH 5/6 plus library books. This year, she'll be doing biology using SE and MPH 5/6 plus library books. I just printed out the free Ellen McHenry botany chapters- thanks so much for the link! :D

DS does unit studies that correspond to the topics DD is studying. He can mostly follow along with the text & activity book part of MPH 5/6 but instead of the HOTS he does the worksheets in Singapore Start-Up Science. This year I'll be incorporating the free Mr. Q life science program. I also incorporate a lot of library resources like Magic School Bus, Let's Read and Find Out Science, and Max Axiom, Super Scientist.

I used Science Explorer last year when my son was 8. We used the Science in a Nutshell kits for hands on stuff. The level of SE was about right in the beginning but by the end of the year it was verging on too easy. The Nutshells are just ok.

Next year we will be using CPO Life Science, another middle school program. I'm hoping it will be more challenging than SE.

What would be the best Science in a Nutshell kit to start with, just for fun, for a six year old?

We are using NOEO Chemistry this year-- level 1 for DS 7/turned 8, level 2 for DS10.

Both are adding in the text only of RS4K, woven in where appropriate into the NOEO calendar.

Both are adding in the Science Wiz experiment kits as well as experiments from Thames and Kosmos C3000.

DS10 is also doing the KOGS books (all of them) from RS4K. These are fairly challenging, though if I had to do it all over again, I might skip the critical thinking one, as it is pretty repetitive and kind of a drudge; I might end up dropping it. But the tie ins in the other books for chemistry to Art, history, language, technology, and philosophy are pretty cool-- I wish more publishers would incorporate more interdisciplinary stuff this way (This is why I teach history/literature/geography as all one subject, and tie in science when it is convenient, even if it isn't our "main science" for the year).

As with the RS4K program, the KOGS books have 10 chapters, tied to the 10 planned weeks of the RS4K program, but they are challenging, so it's nice to have them spread throughout the year in the NOEO program. When we hit a KOGS week, I generally spread them out across 2 weeks, and tie them in to his other subjects (ie we do the history KOGS book during history, not during chemistry).

What would be the best Science in a Nutshell kit to start with, just for fun, for a six year old?

I always thought the Bubble Science one would be fun. I have it sitting in my basement unused, though, so I don't know how good it is.

The ones that we've used that were particularly good were:

Oceans in Motion

Rock Origins

Clever Levers

Gears at Work

I always thought the Bubble Science one would be fun. I have it sitting in my basement unused, though, so I don't know how good it is.

The ones that we've used that were particularly good were:

Oceans in Motion

Rock Origins

Clever Levers

Gears at Work

Thank you!

We used McHenry's The Elements last year and enjoyed it, but looking back we should have gotten a second of her courses to finish out the year. Ds finished The Elements in December and we spent the rest of the year reading living books and working on a science project.

This year we are using Education Exploration Intermediate level. It may be a little advanced for ds so we are reading some kid friendly books to introduce physics topics first. I looked at the elementary level, but it seemed much too simplistic for ds, and the intermediate didn't look too far ahead.