Menu

Bricklayer put construction sand in my kids' sandbox--I'm concerned

I just had my chimney rebuilt this week. The roof is being replaced in a week and a half. Ds absolutely LOVED the chimney crew and was out there nearly constantly watching from the ground. The crew just loved ds as well, and put him to work fetching and carrying (for which they later paid him a small amount :lol:). Ds was quite the mascot for them, and they were very, very complimentary of him to me.

(FWIW, I made it clear to them on numerous occasions not to feel that they had to babysit ds, and I offered numerous times to take him away from the yard, but they were truly happy to have him. Also FWIW I or my teenaged dd stayed where we could see/hear ds for the three days of the project.)

Anyway, yesterday when they cleaned up the yard, they put their extra sand leftover from the bricklaying in ds' sandbox. I didn't realize at the time what they were doing. They put the extra sand there as a kindness to ds, and considered it a great gift for a nice kid. I simply smiled and thanked them when they mentioned it.

However, I am concerned about the content of that sand. Isn't construction sand different from play sand? Should we try to scoop it out and throw it away?

I don't know how easy it will be to scoop out, because I have no idea if ds spread it around or played in it yet. (At various points in the last three days when he was tired of working he either climbed our tree or played in the sandbox.)

WWYD?

Melissa and Aunt Pol--I appreciate your sharing your experience. However, I don't feel reassured. There are plenty of times that human beings do or accept something without knowing whether or not it's actually safe. I will admit to being paranoid about this--we lived for ten years with friable, airborne asbestos before a lab test confirmed that we had it and we had it removed. My family will spend the rest of our lives having regular asbestos screenings, and I worry about the long term effects for all of us. I think also of things like pressure-treated wood, and how toxic that was for years before regulations were finally enacted to change the arsenic content. (It's still quite toxic and it irritates me to death that we are legally required to use it for certain projects.) I just cannot accept at face value that construction materials are okay for playing with. To consider the sand question, I need to know what the sand is made of and if it's okay to sit in it, breathe it, sometimes eat it (as children sometimes do).

Not arguing, just trying to explain my perspective.

This site has some info, but I don't really know how accurate it is:

http://www.non-toxickids.net/2008/05/safer-play-sand.html

My understanding has been that even the stuff sold as play sand has issues. It just comes in a smaller bag. It could very well be that the sand the bricklayers dumped in your sand box is no worse than what you already had.

But it's not clear to me how dangerous that sand actually is. It may only contain small amounts of carcinogens, much as our water and food and just about everything else does. One of the possible carcinogens listed is silica. From a site on Ajax cleanser safety, there seems to be debate on whether silica is an issue or not (and to be truthful, I'm not sure how you're going to find sand without silica dust -- the above site suggests river or beach sand but that's still silica sand, which is eventually going to slough off silica dust, but it may be a matter of degree):

Chronic Health Effects: From MSDS:

This product contains a small amount of crystalline silica, a naturally occurring impurity in calcium carbonate. NTP has listed crystalline silica as an anticipated carcinogen. IARC has found limited evidence for carcinogenicity in humans. Howe

Carcinogenicity: This product contains a small amount of crystalline silica, a naturally occurring impurity in calcium carbonate. NTP has listed crystalline silica as an anticipated carcinogen. IARC has found limited evidence for carcinogenicity in humans. However, under

If they poured unused silica based sand, from a bag, then you have play sand that is coarser and therefore safer, as it is less likely to be inhaled. If they just dumped a leftover pile from a wheelbarrow, then I would scrape out what you could. I wouldn't worry over every little piece.

It sounds like your sandbox is outside. Do you keep it covered at all times your dc aren't playing in it? If not, it will become the neighborhood litter box and the type of sand will become the least of your worries.

If they poured unused silica based sand, from a bag, then you have play sand that is coarser and therefore safer, as it is less likely to be inhaled. If they just dumped a leftover pile from a wheelbarrow, then I would scrape out what you could. I wouldn't worry over every little piece.

The reason a carcinogen warning is listed on play sand is that anything you can breathe in small particles poses a risk to your lungs. I agree that play sand is more coarse and therefore a lower risk. Silica does not pose the same type of risk as asbestos.

It sounds like your sandbox is outside. Do you keep it covered at all times your dc aren't playing in it? If not, it will become the neighborhood litter box and the type of sand will become the least of your worries.

They had a large board on which the sand was dumped and would take from that board for whatever they needed. I think the sand was dumped from the board. They might have used the wheelbarrow to get it to the sandbox, but I doubt it because the board was pretty close to the sandbox. All that to say I think there's a reasonable possibility that the sand was not mixed with other things, but I will ask ds.

I am trying to understand the concern about the open sandbox. What's the difference between playing in an open sandbox vs digging in the dirt from the yard?? Ds spends a LOT of time digging--he prefers to play with dirt/mud from the yard, but he uses the sandbox to make elaborate military fortifications for little plastic army men. Is digging in the yard unsafe? Would the sandbox pose a different risk from the yard? What about gardening--ds does a lot of that too, for me and for others.

The reason a carcinogen warning is listed on play sand is that anything you can breathe in small particles poses a risk to your lungs. I agree that play sand is more coarse and therefore a lower risk. Silica does not pose the same type of risk as asbestos.

Should I assume it's silica based? The link provided by another poster mentioned asbestos, and now I'm hyperventilating. :crying:

I think that what the pp was referring to is that many people don't consider regular playsand safe either. I don't think it is significantly different from construction sand.

You can order high quality sand for your box that is considered much safer, but it is very expensive.

In regards to covering the box, it should always be covered when not in use. When it is left open it acts like a litter box for neighborhood cats and other pests. I would personally not consider an uncovered box safe to play in, it could have all kinds of nasty stuff in it.

Help me understand why an uncovered sandbox is more dangerous than the dirt in the yard or the garden.

Are animals more likely to go to the sand for some reason?

My ds spends almost ALL his free time outside. Heck, he spends quite a bit of his school time outside as well, sometimes choosing to do his work in the tree or on the patio. He gardens a LOT, and digs in the yard a LOT. It has been this way since he was a toddler.

Is there a difference between his exposure to animal waste in the yard/garden versus the sandbox?

I guess it depends on how many roaming cats you have in the neighborhood.

We live in the city with a thriving alley cat population. Frankly we welcome the cats because we also have a thriving rat and mouse population as well. We do not feed the cats personally, but yes, we see them slinking about.

Help me understand why an uncovered sandbox is more dangerous than the dirt in the yard or the garden.

My ds spends almost ALL his free time outside. Heck, he spends quite a bit of his school time outside as well, sometimes choosing to do his work in the tree or on the patio. He gardens a LOT, and digs in the yard a LOT. It has been this way since he was a toddler.

Is there a difference between his exposure to animal waste in the yard/garden versus the sandbox?

Yes, cats are drawn to the sandbox as it is just like litter to them. If a sandbox is present cats will use it as their toilet every single time, not the grass. The amount of feces and ammonia stench can get out of control very quickly if there are cats around. Trust me, you don't want your kid out playing in a sandbox/litterbox and coming in with cat feces smeared all over him. It's disgusting. That is not likely to happen just out digging in the yard.

ETA: Luckily the solution is easy. Just keep a cover on the sandbox when not in use.

, and now I'm hyperventilating. :crying:

Why don't you just take that sand out, then go down to the nearest beach with a few buckets and get some normal stuff? It doesn't sound like you're going to be reassured no matter what people say here - so change it and feel better. :)

They had a large board on which the sand was dumped and would take from that board for whatever they needed. I think the sand was dumped from the board. They might have used the wheelbarrow to get it to the sandbox, but I doubt it because the board was pretty close to the sandbox. All that to say I think there's a reasonable possibility that the sand was not mixed with other things, but I will ask ds.

I am trying to understand the concern about the open sandbox. What's the difference between playing in an open sandbox vs digging in the dirt from the yard?? Ds spends a LOT of time digging--he prefers to play with dirt/mud from the yard, but he uses the sandbox to make elaborate military fortifications for little plastic army men. Is digging in the yard unsafe? Would the sandbox pose a different risk from the yard? What about gardening--ds does a lot of that too, for me and for others.

Sandboxes are extra attractive for cats and other animals to use as a litterbox, which means it can be contaminated with hookworm and roundworm eggs. The chances of an animal using a random area of dirt in the yard as a litterbox, versus a nice area of loose, easy to dig sand, are lower, which is why sandboxes are mentioned. However, any area can be contaminated with hookworms and roundworms. It is important your child wash his hands before putting them in his mouth for this reason.

Cats have a preference for something they can kick around easily to bury their waste. You will know if a cat is using your sandbox as a litterbox. It will smell and you'll see it. We put a tarp over our sandbock secured with bricks. Not perfect but better than nothing to keep our cat out.

Yes, there is a chance of exposure anywhere in the yard. I just have a problem with the places that I know for sure it could happen.

Should I assume it's silica based? The link provided by another poster mentioned asbestos, and now I'm hyperventilating. :crying:

Yes. Sand is silica based. And I agree with another person, given that they were using it for masonry, it is mason sand.

The sand itself is fine. No worries there. The fact that the sandbox is never covered.....that's the worry. Given the choice between a sandbox and a garden....cats will choose the sandbox to void in every. single. time. It's easier and they prefer sand anyway. That would be my main concern. Worms (and all alley cats have worms because they eat vermin), toxoplasmosis, etc., etc. Even if you scooped out the waste....that stuff stays behind. A simple piece of plywood cut to fit the top should solve that problem.

You can grind citrus peels and sprinkle over the sand. Cats hate that!!! We had to grind a bag of lemon and orange peels and put all over our front beds to get rid of the neighbor cats who was using it for their toliet. Once they learn, they don't seem to come back.

Grind them in the blender? Do they have to be dry to do that?

The sand itself is fine. No worries there. The fact that the sandbox is never covered.....that's the worry. Given the choice between a sandbox and a garden....cats will choose the sandbox to void in every. single. time. It's easier and they prefer sand anyway.

:iagree:

The cats consider it the neighborhood toilet.