Menu

Cowboys & Aliens (the movie)

Well, I wanted to like the movie. But, I didn't really like it. (Wait for it on dvd if you do want to see it.)

Script -- pretty boring & predictable (how can you do that w/ a cool premise like cowboys & aliens?)

Acting -- so-so, though Daniel Craig was pretty good in his role; I adore Harrison Ford, but I can't say I adored him or his acting here...

Special effects -- the aliens reminded me of the 'Alien' franchise & are too gross, imo, to have this as a PG-13 (I'm definitely not squeamish or a prude about things like that, but felt the alien looks/violence were too gross for the rating it has)

I guess the best things about it were the movie poster & the preview. :lol:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8w4Q7ZhXmTVG5c76OoUnKEl0x9K_F-BLM12zf8SKZxE-k8Jbs

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi161586201/

Well, I wanted to like the movie. But, I didn't really like it. (Wait for it on dvd if you do want to see it.)

Script -- pretty boring & predictable (how can you do that w/ a cool premise like cowboys & aliens?)

Acting -- so-so, though Daniel Craig was pretty good in his role; I adore Harrison Ford, but I can't say I adored him or his acting here...

Special effects -- the aliens reminded me of the 'Alien' franchise & are too gross, imo, to have this as a PG-13 (I'm definitely not squeamish or a prude about things like that, but felt the alien looks/violence were too gross for the rating it has)

I agree with you 100%. Especially about the rating. ;)

surprisingly ok, but then we thought it would be terrible. I guess it may have to do a lot with expectations. :)

:lol:

See, I saw a preview for it a couple of months ago & thought the idea looked cool. So, I was thinking...

Movie idea -- pretty cool

Actors -- Daniel Craig (eye candy is always good; definite plus); Harrison Ford (Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite movie ever so need I say more about my Harrison crush?)

So, I was expecting something reasonably ok & even if not, decent eye candy. ;):lol: Overall, though, just really a :tongue_smilie: for me..... Sigh.

Just got back from the movie...my thoughts exactly!

It wasn't bad... it was just kind of...slow....

The pacing was slow, the delivery of lines was slow all around, just not snappy.

Cowboys and Aliens. How can you go wrong with that? I was open minded going in, but, meh.

Am I the only one that noticed the alien scale being a bit off? I mean, how did they even fit in their fighter jet spacecraft?

Weird!! My dh and I went on a date to see it, he thought it was good, and I surprisingly was entertained, I really liked it!

I hated Mamma Mia, I loved The Sound of Music, tire of The Terminator, love the original Willy Wonka, I'm an eclectic type, but if I'm entertained...I like it.. I even cried during a scene!!! Felt foolish for that, but I thought it was worth a matinee price! :)

Do you think two teenage boys who love anything space- or war-related would like it?

Eh, not sure. I agree w/ what AuntieM said -- kind of slow pacing, went in w/ an open mind but felt 'meh' overall. They might enjoy it, but it just seemed like the action parts were 'off' imo.... Even though there was action, it just didn't feel like it was paced correctly. I think there are (many) better space- & war-related movies out there, but who knows? Perhaps they would get a kick out of it.

Fwiw, I have really enjoyed/loved movies such as Star Trek, Iron Man, The A-Team (totally cheesy, yes, but also pretty fun, esp. w/ Liam Neeson), Apocalypse Now, Batman (series w/ Christian Bale), 3:10 to Yuma (remake w/ Russell Crowe & Christian Bale), True Grit (remake from last year), etc....

(In the meantime, I have to giggle at a comment over on rotten tomatoes where someone asked where was Sigourney Weaver when you needed her? :lol: Exactly! Now there's someone who could take on aliens w/ the correct pacing.)

They're not terribly discerning ;) -- special effects, action (however poorly paced), Han Solo/Indiana Jones, and seeing James Bond without actually seeing James Bond will probably be enough for them. :D

Well, I must say, Han Solo/Indiana Jones is really starting to show his age.... :tongue_smilie:;)

Yeah, if they're not terribly discerning, they will probably enjoy the movie just fine. :lol:

They're not terribly discerning ;) -- special effects, action (however poorly paced), Han Solo/Indiana Jones, and seeing James Bond without actually seeing James Bond will probably be enough for them. :D

They may be surprised to see Harrison Ford playing the old guy!

My teens enjoyed it. It really is a good premise. Our alien/alien abduction/resist alien takeover films are typically set in modern times or in the future. It's interesting to backdate by 150 years.

seeing James Bond without actually seeing James Bond will probably be enough for them. :D

I really liked Daniel Craig in Layer Cake. It's an R-movie (rightly so as it's very violent, lots of bad language, drugs, etc...). Probably not for your teens, but maybe some of the moms who want to see James Bond in something else.... ;)

ETA: Layer Cake is more along the lines of Pulp Fiction, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Snatch, ... -- just to give a comparison level of the violence, style, & so on....

Edited by Stacia

Well, I must say, Han Solo/Indiana Jones is really starting to show his age.... :tongue_smilie:;)

Well, to be fair, he's 69. He'll always be Han Solo/Indiana Jones in our house though. Goodness knows we've watched IJ and Star Wars enough. Indy even picked his own blog name because he loves IJ so much. When we found out we were having a baby, Indy asked if he could pick a blog name for him and of course he picked Han Solo. BTW, he was Indiana Jones for Halloween 2009, and Han Solo for Halloween 2010. I'm thinking this year, maybe Dr. Richard Kimble or President Marshall? :lol:

He was quite good in Defiance. Very different role for him, but he was up to the task.

Oh, yes! DC was quite genius in this film.

James Bond (ha ha! Maybe Cowboys and Aliens is the movie for us!) saw C&A and really liked it. I'm hoping to see it soon, but today we are FINALLY going to see HP 7/2! I cna't wait!

he was Indiana Jones for Halloween 2009, and Han Solo for Halloween 2010. I'm thinking this year, maybe Dr. Richard Kimble

My favorite lines from that movie:

Harrison Ford: "I didn't kill my wife!"

Tommy Lee Jones: "I don't care!"

today we are FINALLY going to see HP 7/2! I cna't wait!

Enjoy! :)

NONONONONONO - say it isn't so!!!

I've been looking forward to this movie for months and refused to read reviews on it. DH even set up an entire date night for it (got friends to babysit the boys so we could go)....and I want to see it still.

*sigh* Maybe we'll just go see Harry Potter again. We had to tag team it to see it the first time..and he really wants to see it with me.

:tongue_smilie:

NONONONONONO - say it isn't so!!!

I've been looking forward to this movie for months and refused to read reviews on it. DH even set up an entire date night for it (got friends to babysit the boys so we could go)....and I want to see it still.

*sigh* Maybe we'll just go see Harry Potter again. We had to tag team it to see it the first time..and he really wants to see it with me.

:tongue_smilie:

Whatever you do ... do not see Zookeeper. That one was so bad it hurt.

I really liked Daniel Craig in Layer Cake. It's an R-movie (rightly so as it's very violent, lots of bad language, drugs, etc...). Probably not for your teens, but maybe some of the moms who want to see James Bond in something else.... ;)

He's in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo coming out in December. I can't wait!!!!

He's in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo coming out in December. I can't wait!!!!

Did you know that this (and all the movies of his books) are available on Amazon streaming video? I saw them all for free there...Great stuff!

Did you know that this (and all the movies of his books) are available on Amazon streaming video? I saw them all for free there...Great stuff!

Thanks for the info. Those are a different version than the one I'm referring to, though. This one is in English and stars Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist. I think he'll be great! :)

Here's a link - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568346/

Those are a different version than the one I'm referring to, though. This one is in English and stars Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist. I think he'll be great! :)

The Swedish version of the movies are excellent. So great, in fact, that I'm not sure I really want to see the Daniel Craig/Hollywood version, kwim? So, once it's out, I'll be anxiously awaiting everyone's review here... :001_smile:

I laughed and laughed. I thought it was awesome.*

I think it was deliberately cheesey? I have seen a metric ton of westerns/sci-fi in my life and I liked it ok.

I thought the rating was ok. It wasn't AS BAD as Alien (which is rated R) Alien is MUCH scarier and much more violent IMO. Of course...HR Geiger wasn't involved in this movie so it is tough to compare them. (even his nice stuff is scary IMO)

I would probably let my eldest see it, but I did make her watch Dragonslayer. I actually think it comparable to Dragonslayer in scariness/aliengrossness and that is only rated PG-13.

*I also think Dragonslayer is awesome so take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by Sis

It wasn't bad... it was just kind of...slow....

The pacing was slow, the delivery of lines was slow all around, just not snappy.

Cowboys and Aliens. How can you go wrong with that? I was open minded going in, but, meh.

Am I the only one that noticed the alien scale being a bit off? I mean, how did they even fit in their fighter jet spacecraft?

It is paced like a John Ford movie. That is why it feels off. It is paced like an old Western, but there are aliens. We loved it, but I like old Westerns.

I didn't get the impressions that the aliens were ever supposed to be riding inside of the jet fighter type things.

The aliens were like the aliens from Alien and the aliens from Independence Day had babies.

I didn't find it particularly violent or graphic, considering the type of movie it was.

Eta: I agree with Sis that it wasn't scary. I was only nervous in two small parts and I really get into movies. I *screamed* in the movie Numbers (which, is a terrible movie, btw).

It was okay. We weren't expecting a lot, so weren't disappointed. Wish it were more, and wish the dialogue could have been smarter, but weren't really disappointed at all. I think the time period messed some folks up because everyone is so used to big bangs coming from both sides, so mixing the two genres is different.

Except..Harrison Ford is really showing his years *sigh*. Not that getting older is bad, but favorite actors aren't supposed to. He looked like my Dad in this movie, not Indy or President Marshall!

Except..Harrison Ford is really showing his years *sigh*. Not that getting older is bad, but favorite actors aren't supposed to. He looked like my Dad in this movie, not Indy or President Marshall!

:sniff: Han Solo was just a space cowboy anyway.

For those that require primary source documents, I submit this video as proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9Vn1NSIiU